Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Congrats on your new coach!

Started by catfan4life, April 08, 2007, 09:39:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

catfan4life

Congratulations on getting Pelphrey as your new head coach!

Big Papa Satan

Table Rocker

Bigfoot

darazorback

Quote from: catfan4life on April 08, 2007, 09:39:44 pm

Thanks we do appreciate that. Is it true that alot of the UK fans had him as one of their top choices for being the next coach?

hawaiianhogster

High Octane Hog

JEM

helmet

IHateVitale

Darren McFadden~The greatest Razorback ever.  501 baby

John Futrall

Quote from: catfan4life on April 08, 2007, 09:39:44 pm

We're just hopeful he'll stay past Tuesday  ;)

AF Hog

I have a feeling he will fit in here quite well.

Time will tell.

tbhogfan

I remember him as a player, and have seen his USA team play.  I hope he turns out to be a great one.
Go Hogs!

kitshicker

Quote from: Tomcat on April 09, 2007, 08:06:30 am
Quote from: helmet on April 09, 2007, 08:01:54 am
Want to trade coaches?

No.  I want no part of BCG anymore...
I agree. We have our coach now, and apparently we have the coach that alot of Kentucky fans would have chosen over BG.

helmet

Not bashing it's just the truth. If you could tell me a month ago we were getting this guy to replace Heath and you would be happy your flat out lying. Hope JP does well but let's not kid ourselves. This shows me how far our program has fallen, I really don't expect much next season. This hire is a joke and you know it. We were in panic mode and this is what we got.

cityhog

Quote from: IHateVitale on April 09, 2007, 08:04:29 am
Want to trade coaches?

always one basher

uh, make that 2.  i would trade, would cat fans?  i think not.  that should tell you everything.

The Marmot

Want to trade coaches?

BCG is the Larry Brown of college coaches now... a great coach that can't be trusted.
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

helmet

Quote from: donewithdale on April 09, 2007, 08:23:20 am
Quote from: helmet on April 09, 2007, 08:15:33 am
Not bashing it's just the truth. If you could tell me a month ago we were getting this guy to replace Heath and you would be happy your flat out lying. Hope JP does well but let's not kid ourselves. This shows me how far our program has fallen, I really don't expect much next season. This hire is a joke and you know it. We were in panic mode and this is what we got.

Why would you want to trade? 

And if you knew anything about SEC basketball you would know that JP has been one of the hot young coaches in the South.  Given his background, his style of play, his familiarity with the SEC, the fact his teams are well conditioned,...he is an upgrade over Heath.  To even suggest this is a joke is ridiculous.  Save your post if you want and break it back out this time next year if you are so confident that this will be a disaster. 
That fine with me. If he does not make it to the sweet sixteen and win the SEC west he is a failure. Reason why is because that is what Heath was expected to do with this talented team. So let the excuses begin.

Barman91

FWIW....I've seen Pelphrey's teams play 5-6 times.  Most strikingly, his teams play HARD.  There is not one ounce of quit in his guys, which will be quite refreshing.  Uptempo, hard-nosed, disciplined........  I really believe Hog fans will love his style.

PiggoBitttys

Whoever we hired doesn't make Heath any better. He was NOT the answer regardless of the next coach. They made the right move firing him. The coaching search was a bit botched, but they tried. Offered big names big money, but we got turned down. I'm not sure what else we could've done.

Regardless, atleast Pelphrey has potential, Heath had run completely dry of it and needed to be gone.

helmet

It is a even trade in my opinion with Heath. I'm glad you guys are so excited but we have been down this road before. The proof will be in the results. So if you want me to come back next March and say I was wrong that's fine but on the other side of the coin don't make excuses if we are out in the first round.

helmet

Quote from: donewithdale on April 09, 2007, 08:34:54 am
Quote from: helmet on April 09, 2007, 08:32:09 am

And if you knew anything about SEC basketball you would know that JP has been one of the hot young coaches in the South.  Given his background, his style of play, his familiarity with the SEC, the fact his teams are well conditioned,...he is an upgrade over Heath.  To even suggest this is a joke is ridiculous.  Save your post if you want and break it back out this time next year if you are so confident that this will be a disaster. 
That fine with me. If he does not make it to the sweet sixteen and win the SEC west he is a failure. Reason why is because that is what Heath was expected to do with this talented team. So let the excuses begin.

Who expected Heath to make a Sweet 16?  You? 
Yes with the talent we have.

Hawgasaurus

Thanks, we all worked hard on this... ::)
The race is not always to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but that's the way to bet.

Lokirain

I can understand your frustration not knowing Pelphrey and I complained all last week about Altman, but this is a respectable hire for us. Altman WAS a joke, Pelphrey was going to be hired as a head coach at a big time school eventually, we might have plucked him from his USA job a year or two early, but this guy wasn't going to stay in the mid majors forever.

I am so glad Altman is gone, he's not the caliber coach that deserves this job. Pelphrey is. I don't know if Pelphrey will win here, no one does, but I have no doubt that he's better than Altman. Now all he has to do is prove he's better than Heath.

HogNuttz

Quote from: cityhog on April 09, 2007, 08:17:34 am
Want to trade coaches?

always one basher

uh, make that 2.  i would trade, would cat fans?  i think not.  that should tell you everything.

Make that three. This is not a good hire.

1) KY fans that wanted Pelphrey over BG are in the very small minority.
2) The coach we fired was better than the coach we hired.
Work harder!!!......millions of illegals, welfare bums, multi-millionaire financial CEO's who've trashed their companies, unionized auto workers in Detriot, and other recipients of our governments social programs depend on you.

Shrekster

Can't we just ban this guy so we can get on with our optimistic view for the future?

If we don't, the mouth breathers will start a Fire Pelphrey thread.

Go Hogs Go!
I bleed red...but its cardinal red.

Hogaloogie

If you could tell me a month ago we were getting this guy to replace Heath and you would be happy your flat out lying.

I'm not lying. I've been promoting Pelphrey for 3 years to my friends. And yes, I would take Pelphrey over Heath straight up. If you know anything about basketball, you know that he's got all the tools to be a very, very successful head coach in the SEC. Unfortunately, the average Arkansas basketball fan doesn't know jack squat about basketball outside the state borders.

wirebender25

We got this because of fans like you. 

helmet

April 09, 2007, 08:43:32 am #29 Last Edit: April 09, 2007, 08:50:05 am by helmet
Quote from: Hogaloogie on April 09, 2007, 08:41:47 am
If you could tell me a month ago we were getting this guy to replace Heath and you would be happy your flat out lying.

I'm not lying. I've been promoting Pelphrey for 3 years to my friends. And yes, I would take Pelphrey over Heath straight up. If you know anything about basketball, you know that he's got all the tools to be a very, very successful head coach in the SEC. Unfortunately, the average Arkansas basketball fan doesn't know jack squat about basketball outside the state borders.
We will see. I am not a Heath fan, but I am tired of the diamond in the ruff technique. My point is we were going to replace Heath with a proven winner. Nobody seems to want to come here for what ever reason, So we hire JP and we are supposed to jump up and down with joy because some Kentucky fans like him and you have been promoting him to your buddies.

PigPusher

You could make my breakfast orange juice go sour.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

AF Hog

Quote from: Shrekster on April 09, 2007, 08:41:36 am

Can't we just ban this guy so we can get on with our optimistic view for the future?

If we don't, the mouth breathers will start a Fire Pelphrey thread.

Go Hogs Go!

He said "mouth breathers"....

By the way, for you Mountie fans, that equates to "slack-jawed yokels".

Ha ha

helmet

Quote from: wirebender25 on April 09, 2007, 08:43:06 am

We got this because of fans like you. 
Fans like me that are tired of coaches like Nutt, Heath, JP?

The real Hogules

Want to trade coaches?

always one basher

Better make it two, because I did NOT want Pelphrey as our HC.

If UK REALLY thought Pelphrey was such hot $#!T, then why didn't Pelphrey even get an interview???

If I were UK and had just hired BCG and one of my conference foes had just hired Pelphrey I too would be congratulating them as well, knowing that when we met we would kick their @$$es.

Congrats on YOUR hire and I hope our administration meets an untimely end in the VERY near future!
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

jschulte

Quote from: helmet on April 09, 2007, 08:39:34 am

I just don't see that being a good enough reason...

helmet

Quote from: Mid Major Legs™ on April 09, 2007, 08:46:37 am

I am not saying Heath could, but the coach that we were to replace him with was supposed to. So if JP can thats great. We will see, I have my doubts.

Heath couldn't coach these kids to the Sweet 16. 

The real Hogules

Quote from: donewithdale on April 09, 2007, 08:46:16 am
Quote from: HogNuttz on April 09, 2007, 08:41:02 am
Want to trade coaches?

always one basher

Heath better?

Lets try and find some Heath strengths:

Able to build team chemistry?

Able to get his team to play with focus and effort every game?

Have his team in great condition?

Able to develop an effective style of play and enforce that style on the opponent?

Able to recruit all the pieces needed to make a successful team?

How about Heath's record Vs. SEC opponents, against Pelphrey's record Vs. "SUNBELT" competition?????????

South Florida gave Pelphrey an interview and then hired the coach we "FIRED", as opposed to hiring this winning machine from South Alabama.

Get a clue!

AR_dustoff

Thanks, catfan...

This will add to the renewed rivalry, though.  They got the coach we went after, we got one of thier heroes...GO HOGS!

Prosciutto

When you win 20 games, and make the tourney, and lose no players , making the sweet 16 should be the least of expectations!

helmet

Quote from: FOURTH-N-LONG on April 09, 2007, 08:58:59 am

When you win 20 games, and make the tourney, and lose no players , making the sweet 16 should be the least of expectations!

That is where the bar will be like it or not for JP.

mword

razorbear

Want to trade coaches?

always one basher

The coach we fired could not even draw up an effective inbounds play so I doubt statement number 2 very much.
Brutha, you got to get real!

deshahawg

Our new coach also applied for the same job that Stan Heath got in USF.

Hogaloogie

Quote from: helmet on April 09, 2007, 08:43:32 am

We will see. I am not a Heath fan, but I am tired of the diamond in the ruff technique. My point is we were going to replace Heath with a proven winner. Nobody seems to want to come here for what ever reason, So we hire JP and we are supposed to jump up and down with joy because some Kentucky fans like him and you have been promoting him to your buddies.

Don't jump on me because YOU threw out an idiotic line about "lying if you'd be happy replacing Heath with Pelphrey". You throw out your expectations of a sweet 16 from Heath in '08. What do you base that on ? Heath had shown absolutely no ability to make that kind of run here. You could argue that he had the 2nd most talented team in the SEC, yet there we were once again watching a one and done.

You can talk all day long about hiring a "proven winner", but tell me the last time a program in our situation pulled something like that off ? It just... wasn't... going... to... happen. Pelphrey comes from a long line of successful coaches. He coaches the style our fans want to see. He knows what it takes to compete in the SEC, because he lived it. Heath was none of those things.

Hogaloogie

Quote from: The real Hogules on April 09, 2007, 08:52:20 am
Want to trade coaches?

always one basher

Better make it two, because I did NOT want Pelphrey as our HC.

If UK REALLY thought Pelphrey was such hot $#!T, then why didn't Pelphrey even get an interview???

If I were UK and had just hired BCG and one of my conference foes had just hired Pelphrey I too would be congratulating them as well, knowing that when we met we would kick their @$$es.

Congrats on YOUR hire and I hope our administration meets an untimely end in the VERY near future!

Jesus Christ, if you can't figure out why UK didn't hire JP then that's YOUR problem. They are in a MUCH different situation right now than we are, and there is no denying that. They are a better program, and always will be. They CAN just about pick any established coach they want. We can't. Sorry, but it's true, and it was proven over the last few weeks. We could've done much, much worse than John Pelphrey, and you'll be thinking the same thing given time.

helmet

This is all we need to know. Kentucky BG. Arkansas JP. If you are happy with that then fine. I am not, but don't say I am not a fan because I am less then thrilled with this hire. I am in no way a Heath supporter. He was given more than enough time to succed here. I was just hoping for a more proven coach. This shows me where Arkansas basketball is, thats it.

McKdaddy

Quote from: Hogaloogie on April 09, 2007, 09:09:56 am

Don't jump on me because YOU threw out an idiotic line about "lying if you'd be happy replacing Heath with Pelphrey". You throw out your expectations of a sweet 16 from Heath in '08. What do you base that on ? Heath had shown absolutely no ability to make that kind of run here. You could argue that he had the 2nd most talented team in the SEC, yet there we were once again watching a one and done.

You can talk all day long about hiring a "proven winner", but tell me the last time a program in our situation pulled something like that off ? It just... wasn't... going... to... happen. Pelphrey comes from a long line of successful coaches. He coaches the style our fans want to see. He knows what it takes to compete in the SEC, because he lived it. Heath was none of those things.
I'll admit I'd have been disappointed that if you'd told me 1 month ago that we'd fire Stan and that our hire would be JP.  However, I wouldn't have been disappointed to fire Stan.  I don't think we could have done much worse as a program than to keep Stan.  Stan had to go, almost regardless of the hire.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

M L (bassplayer)

If he's the hire then people need to shut up and give him his shot. Who could have predicted Donovan's success when he was hired from Marshall. :razorback:

Shrekster

Quote from: Hogaloogie on April 09, 2007, 09:09:56 am

Excellent Post!  Well written, timely, hard-hitting and all of that good shemp.  Just remember, Hogaloogie, convincing some ppl is never going to happen.  Wooden could hire on and someone would complain that the game has passed him by. 

Point is, some will NEVER be happy.  Personally, I think BG is a snake.  No better than Calipari.  All we needed on the hill is another coach that says one thing and does another.  Pelphrey is a good hire. Well he win?  Only time will tell.
I bleed red...but its cardinal red.

The real Hogules

Quote from: donewithdale on April 09, 2007, 09:01:36 am
Quote from: The real Hogules on April 09, 2007, 08:56:00 am
Quote from: donewithdale on April 09, 2007, 08:46:16 am
Want to trade coaches?

always one basher

Heath better?

Lets try and find some Heath strengths:

Able to build team chemistry?

Able to get his team to play with focus and effort every game?

Have his team in great condition?

Able to develop an effective style of play and enforce that style on the opponent?

Able to recruit all the pieces needed to make a successful team?

How about Heath's record Vs. SEC opponents, against Pelphrey's record Vs. "SUNBELT" competition?????????

South Florida gave Pelphrey an interview and then hired the coach we "FIRED", as opposed to hiring this winning machine from South Alabama.

Get a clue!

You get a clue you dumbcrap Irwin wannabe - JP turned down USF.  Again, give me Heath's strengths as a coach that should have made us want to keep him. 

You can call me alot of things dungheap, but do NOT call me a Mike Irwin "wannabe"!

Heath was a hell of a lot better recruiter than he was a coach, but when he came to Arkansas he had exactly ONE year of HC'ing experience.

His recruiting has remained strong and his coaching has improved each year, along with his record.

I really feel that South Florida is going to benifit from the years WE invested in Stan as he grew into the role of HC.

Pelphrey hasn't exactly torn up the "SUNBELT" conference, so what makes your ignorant @$$ think he's going to be ultra successful in the SEC???