Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All thoughts on Billy Gillispie and his hiring at Kentucky here only please!

Started by RD, April 05, 2007, 11:17:24 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Broken Trigger

It looks like we have a new Arkansas/A&M coalition to root against Houston II, aka Billy Gillispie.  :)

SCRX95

good lord... you went after BCG...now you're coming after Byrne??

:P

Hogpuddin

Quote from: SCRX95 on April 06, 2007, 10:27:21 pm
good lord... you went after BCG...now you're coming after Byrne??

:P

Yep.  By the way, who is your softball coach?  :)

razorbacker80

BCG has proven he can turn a down program into a winner. 

What he has left to prove if he can take an established program to a championship. 

Hadn't heard him speak until today... his voice doesn't match his body.

DocJones

Quote from: Hogpuddin on April 06, 2007, 10:26:17 pm
Mum's (sp?) been the word on a new AD hire.   :-X

STAY THE **** AWAY FROM MY AD!!!!

But by all means, take my football coach  ;)

keybored

April 06, 2007, 10:30:09 pm #355 Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 10:33:57 pm by keybored
Interesting read on Texags...
http://www.texags.com/main/forum.reply.asp?forum_id=7&topic_id=853553

After reading this I especially feel bad about what happened to you guys, if true (it seems like a credible recount). If that's how it happened he lead your AD on for months before backing out when UK came calling, while at the same time tried to use both of us as a backup plan. When your AD wouldn't have that, he used us as a backup plan with the bogus tentative contract agreed to.

TransAmHawg

It'll Shine When it Shines

Ol Frank has finally $h!t in his own lunch box!!!

"I hope they all keep smiling and taking the arse pounding that we are dishing out..
  It's their choice to bite the pillow or look over their shoulder lovingly.
  Either way we're on top..!"   
                             4windshawg

jbcarol

Yes.  Luckily the Search Firm alerted UK to a potential for cold feet.

It was rumored that Barnes was second choice.  Barnes did not get an offer.  He just wanted to add his name to list of those who rejected without actually getting an offer.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

hogkinl10

he screwed 2 schools over in the same basketball season... that takes talent

txag007

Quote from: AnthroHog on April 06, 2007, 09:53:43 pm
Quote from: txag007 on April 06, 2007, 09:13:20 pm
The man left town during the night.  Left his current players text messages and voice mails saying he was taking the UK job.  He also told the recruits that he was staying put at A&M.  That tells me he really only cares about himself.

Any responses from your recruits yet?  He's not going to take DeAndre Jordan with him, is he?  Pretty crappy being at a place for 3 years and not telling them in person.  I thought it was bad when Altman didn't tell the players he'd changed his mind and he was only here for a day.
So far, Byrne has no intention of letting the current recruits out of their signed LOI.  I think he wants to get a new coach and let him have a chance to talk with the recruit.  From what I am hearing some names in include:  Tim Floyd (USC), Jamie Dixon (Pitt), and Hugh Marshall (Winthrop).  Personally I would love to have the Southern Illinois coach.  He gets his teams to play some stout defense.

James K. Pork

Mitch Barnhart had his search set up well.  He got one of the guys he wanted.  He also has a relatively content fanbase because they believe he made a run at the best coach in the country.

That is the difference between a professional athletic director and a semi-retiree rushing to make a hire so he can catch Tiger on the Amen Corner in Augusta.

jbcarol

Quote from: razorbacker80 on April 06, 2007, 10:29:25 pm
BCG has proven he can turn a down program into a winner. 

What he has left to prove if he can take an established program to a championship. 

Hadn't heard him speak until today... his voice doesn't match his body.

He hit a home run with the Kentucky fan base through the Press Conference. 
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

TinthYR

Yeah, we were sad at first, but as more information comes out, I can't help but feel sorry for both schools.
I'm glad neither one of us has to deal with this man, as we both want a coach who has a little more integrity.
I'm sorry we railed you when BG turned his back on you. I hope you guys find a great AD and a coach who can
meet our new coach in the tourney. Good luck Hogs! :(

Mr. Prozac

There's been a run on crow all over from what I've seen. I expect Tyson to open some crow houses soon.

keybored

QuoteIt was rumored that Barnes was second choice.  Barnes did not get an offer.  He just wanted to add his name to list of those who rejected without actually getting an offer.

Typical Texas coach move.. Mack Brown generally won't "offer" a guy unless he knows he will commit...

OldArmy94

Hogpuddin, yes, I did--actually, "Old Army" is just an A&M term for what is traditional and good.  "Old School" might be a good synonym.  I didn't serve in our military but like you, thank them for their sacrifices.

DocJones

Hogpuddin

Quote from: keybored on April 06, 2007, 10:30:09 pm

After reading this I especially feel bad about what happened to you guys, if true (it seems like a credible recount). If that's how it happened he lead your AD on for months before backing out when UK came calling, while at the same time tried to use both of us as a backup plan. When your AD wouldn't have that, he used us as a backup plan with the bogus tentative contract agreed to.

Thanks, and thanks for the link.  I feel bad for A&M a little bit.

I wonder what the 'F' in front of Gillespie's initials means.?

WinaGs

I believe now that he indeed screwed UA with overtunes of wanting to go there if a vacancy was made.

I feel dirty.

fusbal11

I have to give it to Billy G.--he played the flop perfectly, but I think he has bitten off more than he can chew.  It's one thing to put together a team that can supprise people; it's another to put together a team that can dominate, and that's what Kentuchy expects--as they should--he last 3 years tops, and that's limping out
Wooo Pig

jbcarol

Quote from: James K. Pork on April 06, 2007, 10:35:27 pm
Mitch Barnhart had his search set up well.  He got one of the guys he wanted.  He also has a relatively content fanbase because they believe he made a run at the best coach in the country.

That is the difference between a professional athletic director and a semi-retiree rushing to make a hire so he can catch Tiger on the Amen Corner in Augusta.

Barnhart was up all night (on BCG's schedule) at his home, finalizing the contract with BCG.  Gillispie does not have an agent.  Barnhart's mentor is A&M's AD.  Gillispie came off well because of his commitment and frankly sounding country.

Hogpuddin

Quote from: OldArmy94 on April 06, 2007, 10:37:03 pm
Hogpuddin, yes, I did--actually, "Old Army" is just an A&M term for what is traditional and good.  "Old School" might be a good synonym.  I didn't serve in our military but like you, thank them for their sacrifices.

Sorry, my ignorance, my mistake.  But yes, bless them and their families.

azhogfan

Quote from: hogkinl10 on April 06, 2007, 10:33:13 pm

no i think it just takes a slime ball of a person
everybody takes a beatin' sometimes...i just wish somebody else would take a turn...

jbcarol

Quote from: fusbal11 on April 06, 2007, 10:40:38 pm
I have to give it to Billy G.--he played the flop perfectly, but I think he has bitten off more than he can chew.  It's one thing to put together a team that can supprise people; it's another to put together a team that can dominate, and that's what Kentuchy expects--as they should--he last 3 years tops, and that's limping out

Iff, does he have a place to go back to?  His Oklahoma State?

DocJones

Quote from: Hogpuddin on April 06, 2007, 10:39:35 pm

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge

Tejano Jawg

Quote from: OldArmy94 on April 06, 2007, 09:03:50 pm
Breaking information indicates that Gillispie DID lead Arkansas into believing he was coming to Fayetteville.  I doubted that story initially but after the last 24 hours, a lot of not-so-nice stuff is coming to light.  Anyway, my apologies to you all for my doubts and comments and for the rude comments of some of my fellow Ags.

Check back anytime to see what's on our menu...crow or otherwise.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

Hogpuddin

April 06, 2007, 10:44:01 pm #376 Last Edit: April 06, 2007, 10:46:55 pm by Hogpuddin
Quote from: WinaGs on April 06, 2007, 10:39:53 pm
I believe now that he indeed screwed UA with overtunes of wanting to go there if a vacancy was made.

I feel dirty.

You shouldn't feel dirty, B. Gillespie should.  He should have trouble sleeping at night betwixt his 2 Million Dollar Silk Sheets!!!!!!!!!!!   >:(

Ouachihog

Quote from: jamie72921 on April 06, 2007, 09:04:56 pm
If Tubby had staid, BG would be here right now.

Bingo.

I truly believe BCG had his mind made up to come here until UK job opened.  Then decided he would wait to see what happened with UK since he was a top 3 or 4 candidate.  If UK hired Donovan, BCG could just stay at TAMU and enjoy his fat raise and new practice facility, but if Donovan said no to UK, BCG could go to UK. 

Really was a no-lose situation....except for Arkansas. 
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

Hogpuddin

Quote from: DocJones on April 06, 2007, 10:43:18 pm
Quote from: Hogpuddin on April 06, 2007, 10:39:35 pm

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge

Ha.  Good one.

jbcarol

Quote from: DocJones on April 06, 2007, 10:29:47 pm
Mum's (sp?) been the word on a new AD hire.   :-X

But by all means, take my football coach  ;)

How would you feel about a straight up trade?

DocJones

Quote from: jbcarol on April 06, 2007, 10:49:06 pm
Mum's (sp?) been the word on a new AD hire.   :-X

But by all means, take my football coach  ;)

Nope, this offer is cash and carry only

jbcarol

Quote from: DocJones on April 06, 2007, 10:51:50 pm
Quote from: jbcarol on April 06, 2007, 10:49:06 pm
Mum's (sp?) been the word on a new AD hire.   :-X

But by all means, take my football coach  ;)

Nope, this offer is cash and carry only

We have the SEC COY.  10 wins.  New Year's Day Bowl Game.  Recruited the Gatorade POY from '95 and his OC was the National OC of the year according to Rivals.  For those of us in the know, he ran the offense himself.  Straight trade.

TinthYR

Trade? Done deal! :D

At least we can see a different circus if not a better one!

jbcarol

Quote from: TinthYR on April 06, 2007, 10:54:14 pm
Trade? Done deal! :D

At least we can see a different circus if not a better one!

We get the AD too? 

Quick question.  If the A&M HC recruited the HS POY and he was from Texas, how would he choose to handle that situation at College Station?  Could be a deal breaker.  He has a Heisman candidate at TB.  The QB's HS coach would like a college job and is recognized by Urban Meyer who is using plays derived from the book the H.S. coach has written.  What would he do?  The Gatorade POY wants to redshirt his freshman year.

TinthYR

Well, FB players from the great state of Texas are usually have a pretty high opinion of their home state, so they'd prolly transfer to another University in state. :(

Eagle

All I can say to you'll is that you are lucky that you did not get him.  The man cannot be trusted.

jbcarol

Quote from: Eagle on April 06, 2007, 11:05:22 pm
All I can say to you'll is that you are lucky that you did not get him.  The man cannot be trusted.

Which one in this sorry affair?

jbcarol

Quote from: TinthYR on April 06, 2007, 11:01:31 pm
Well, FB players from the great state of Texas are usually have a pretty high opinion of their home state, so they'd prolly transfer to another University in state. :(

Texas is a big state.  Once a nation unto itself.  Many POY's have been Lone Stars.  Only one from Arkansas of which I am aware.  Arkansas would see to it that he transfers to the Left Coast to play for Carroll alone with his favorite WR, Mr. SEC All-Freshman.  :)

That's like transfering within Texas.  I think we have a straight trade.

I wish I could pull the trigger.

TinthYR

jbcarol

Unlike Billy Gillispie, I am going to get some sleep here in the East.  I will think about that Dream Job.  You can't have a Dream Job if you never sleep.

jbcarol

Check out other threads for documented background on the text messaging acumen of Arkansas HC's using University supplied resources.

Here is a differentiator from the Gillispie file (regardless how you think of him right now):

http://media.www.kykernel.com/media/storage/paper305/news/2007/04/07/Sports/Column.Barnhart.Used.The.Right.Process.To.Get.The.Right.Guy-2828654.shtml?reffeature=htmlemailedition

As UK Athletic Director Mitch Barnhart talked late into Thursday night with Billy Gillispie, he thought he had the right guy to take over the UK basketball program.

But it wasn't until they started talking about sending text messages to recruits that Barnhart knew for sure.

"How many do you send each month?" Barnhart asked.

"Eight thousand," Gillispie said.

"Eight thousand a month?" Barnhart said. "I haven't done 8,000 in my life!"

At that point, Barnhart had to feel about 8,000 times better about the successful completion of his exhaustive coaching search. The work ethic exhibited by Gillispie's manic text messaging is exactly what Barnhart was looking for in his basketball coach.

jbcarol

Quote from: azhogfan on April 06, 2007, 10:42:19 pm
Quote from: hogkinl10 on April 06, 2007, 10:33:13 pm

no i think it just takes a slime ball of a person

If D'Antoni could have sent his brother on ahead ...

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on April 06, 2007, 11:13:49 pm
Unlike Billy Gillispie, I am going to get some sleep here in the East.  I will think about that Dream Job.  You can't have a Dream Job if you never sleep.

In 2002, Gillispie became UTEP's head coach. With only eight scholarship players, the Miners went 6-24.

But even in that first year, Gillispie impressed one person in El Paso who knows a thing or two about coaching basketball.

Don Haskins, coach of those 1966 NCAA champions, was a regular at Gillispie's practices.

"The hardest practices I've ever watched," Haskins said yesterday.

Even tougher than the famously grueling practices Haskins was known to run?

"I'm not sure they weren't," Haskins said. "I wouldn't want to play for him."

But Haskins admired Gillispie's capacity for work. "I don't know when he sleeps," Haskins said.

jbcarol

Here is by-line that unites this Board and readers of this thread, from the Lead Sports Columnist of the Lexington Herald-Leader (I know that some other hack writes the head lines):

We'll love him, unless ...
IF HE WINS, WE'LL EAT HIM UP; IF HE LOSES, WE'LL EAT HIM ALIVE

http://www.kentuckyconnect.com/285/story/36525.html

jbcarol

Columnist for the Lexington H-L is so smitten by Gillispie that she includes a picture of herself for the first time on the Internet.  Go after that guy that is married to his job :)  It is a lot more light hearted than the dour warning column that greeted Tubby Smith 10 years ago.

http://www.kentuckyconnect.com/276/story/36543.html

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

I am so absorbed I don't know the last name of my sister either.  She isn't even married.