Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Caller on Southern Sports Tonight out of the Fl. Panhandle.....

Started by RumRunner, April 05, 2007, 04:58:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jrohog

Quote from: mbacker85 on April 05, 2007, 05:42:47 pm
Quote from: mikeirwin on April 05, 2007, 05:32:45 pm
There is no strong movement to keep him in school.
Mitch Mustain may be the only national high school player of the year to be treated like complete garbage from a part of the fan base, most of his coaches and many of his teammates.
The kid has been ripped on this board from the day speculation began that he might consider other schools. After the decommittment it got worse.
When he recommitted there was a brief honeymoon period but almost immediately after being named the starter some fans were posting here about how horrible he was and how he needed to be benched.
He was 7-0 as a starter ( games in which HDN's butt was saved) and yet he was dumped after one series of the South Carolina game and as Nolan Richardson put it, it was "cold turkey" after that.
He had a code red pulled on him by some senior teammates.
He wore shoes that didn't fit his feet, a set of shoulder pads that rubbed the nastiest looking blister on his upper arm I've ever seen (he still has a scar from it) and a jersey that was so tight he had to throw the ball side armed.
Virturally every promise that was made to him during recruiting was canned.
The original coach who recruited him was fired.
The next coach who recruited him was run off.
However....
He took one trip to USC.
They rolled out the red carpet.
Pete Carroll offered him an open scholarship good until this August.
Carroll had dinner with him (HDN never even made an in home visit).
Damian Williams told him, NOBODY GIVES YOU GRIEF ON THIS TEAM FOR BEING A 5 STAR STUD BECAUSE EVERYBODY ON THIS TEAM WAS A 5 STAR STUD.

This is a story that most people outside this state would not believe.

Say what you want, but even though Mitch won 7 games, but half those games we barely won, and we won due to running, not Mitch's arm.  Mitch wont see any playing time at USC much less a major D1 school, the only way he will play would be at Tulsa.  How he got the Gatorade player of the year is still beyond me, I guess thats what happens when you have the "mercy" rule in Arkansas.  If Mitch would of been in school in Texas, he might of been a 3 star rating.  But what do I know, I'm not on TV.
I, for one, don't think you know much.

Cartoon Man

Tell them Mike, some folks can't read. Spell it out for them. Thanks Mike for your insight.  Bottom line the kid wasn't treated right.  All the truth will eventually come out. I also think Nutt is about to the end of his rope. We just need to give him a push.

JadedHog

I've been hearing for a couple months that it's a done deal that HDN will be gone April 7.  I hear from inside guys.  It looks like the phone records story is about to break and maybe it will happen this weekend.  Maybe HDN will be gone.  All the fans will turn on HDN when this dirt is made known to everyone.

SPAL

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 05, 2007, 05:11:30 pm
Quote from: joshUARK on April 05, 2007, 05:08:22 pm
I could have sworn MM was still a student at the U of A. Did that change?
Unless you've been living in a cave you should know that Mustain being a student at the U of A has nothing to do with him being on the football team.
They'd have to fire virtually everybody on the football staff and in the Broyles Center plus the chancellor for Mitch to come back.
It's not going to happen.

so then it stands to reason that if Mustain is still at the UofA, he hasnt left the UofA yet. I guess logic isnt a prerequisite to being a mod.

James K. Pork

Mitch Mustain may be the only national high school player of the year to be treated like complete garbage from a part of the fan base, most of his coaches and many of his teammates.
The kid has been ripped on this board from the day speculation began that he might consider other schools. After the decommitment it got worse.
When he recommitted there was a brief honeymoon period but almost immediately after being named the starter some fans were posting here about how horrible he was and how he needed to be benched.
He was 7-0 as a starter ( games in which HDN's butt was saved) and yet he was dumped after one series of the South Carolina game and as Nolan Richardson put it, it was "cold turkey" after that.
He wore shoes that didn't fit his feet, a set of shoulder pads that rubbed the nastiest looking blister on his upper arm I've ever seen (he still has a scar from it) and a jersey that was so tight he had to throw the ball side armed.
Virtually every promise that was made to him during recruiting was canned.
However....
He took one trip to USC.
Damian Williams told him, NOBODY GIVES YOU GRIEF ON THIS TEAM FOR BEING A 5 STAR STUD BECAUSE EVERYBODY ON THIS TEAM WAS A 5 STAR STUD.

Those of us who are Nutt's staunchest critics are constantly told to think about the players.  The players are exactly who I'm thinking about.  What happened to Mustain could happen to any Razorback as long as Nutt and his posse roam the sidelines like Stalin's secret police.

This is what offends me the most about this whole situation.  This kid has been open game for all kinds of abuse from Nutt.  Nutt's apologists never failed to cast in a negative light the relationship he had with his mother.  When it was announced that he would transfer, Barrett and Schaeffer claimed shortly afterwards that he had "baggage" in an attempt to make it harder for him to leave Arkansas.  This kid should've been protected by the program.  Instead he was treated like a pariah from the get-go.

Now we are asked to have a consideration for the personal life of one Houston Dale Nutt.  Why?  He and his cronies never gave a damn to protect Mustain from the personal attacks he suffered as a Razorback.  In fact, they revelled in them as if they were victories over Texas.  For Nutt and company, Mustain wasn't the promise of a better future.  He was a threat to be destroyed.

This sounds like something straight out of Charles Dickens.  It should never be allowed to happen again at the University of Arkansas.  For this to take place, there are many people in that Athletic Department who need to go.

870hogg

Well I would have to say that Mike Irwin is just proving the point that HDN's integrity and class is non-existent and hence he needs to be shown the door.  But Arkansas is still stuck in the 1970 good ole' boy system but I don't see the "boys" being able to hold back the masses much longer. Sooner or later the Hill is either going to have to (fess up and lay it on the line) or get off the pot.

rebelhogdog

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 05, 2007, 05:51:04 pm
The kid has been ripped on this board from the day speculation began that he might consider other schools. After the decommittment it got worse.
However....
He took one trip to USC.

Say what you want, but even though Mitch won 7 games, but half those games we barely won, and we won due to running, not Mitch's arm.  Mitch wont see any playing time at USC much less a major D1 school, the only way he will play would be at Tulsa.  How he got the Gatorade player of the year is still beyond me, I guess thats what happens when you have the "mercy" rule in Arkansas.  If Mitch would of been in school in Texas, he might of been a 3 star rating.  But what do I know, I'm not on TV.
Are you serious ?
He won EVERY poty HONOR.
Gatorade.
Parade Magazine.
USA Today.
Atlanta Touchdown Club.
His team was 3rd in the nation.
But of course since he/they were from Arkansas you can't figure out how this happened.
Thanks for proving my point.
Fans in his own home state think he's a 3 star while stupid Pete Carroll treats him like a 5 star.
Why would that kid ever want to play here ?

Well said Mike, i've been trying to tell everybody I know the same thing.  We will never get a recruit like Mitch ever again at Arkansas as long as Numbnutts is our coach.

Truckinghog

I know opinions are like @$$holes, everyone has one.

Here's mine.

I try hard to straddle the fence. I think HDN is a good coach, not great, but good. I think that he did make a deal with the devil to get someone he thought he had to have to save his job. I think that he isnt perfect, far from it. He came out firing from Murray State with some great players, then went into a shell offensively once he found out that those interceptions really do hurt. I think that he is morally suspect, but I also believe that the Springdale crowd, who I am very familiar with, are hardly blameless. Is it wrong to believe that you should play in every game and catch 60 balls or throw 50 td's in a season? To be a rockstar for the state and thrive on it? To transfer from your school due to an offense change? To transfer from your school due to a difference of opinion with your coaches who may or may not have led you to believe items different from what actually happened? To possibly have physical or non physical relationships with someone other than your spouse? My point is that none of us KNOW what truly goes through the participants minds, or personal life or honestly what the REAL story is. I know what opinion I am led to form from sources of information given to me whether that's personal conversation with several people who are mentioned, or via the internet or via other mediums of communication.
I believe that our advanced communication (Internet) is one of the most blessed inventions and one of the worst. It magnifies what is good and what is bad.

I dont hate HDN, nor do I hate MM or JFB or Beck or anyone associated with this long soap opera. I Love the Razorbacks. I am ashamed at the bitter divide between fans / opposing message boards / talk shows. etc etc. I know its human nature and that it will be this way, but I dream/hope for something better. People are polarized, and once a situation reaches that intense divide, then you are at a critical mass. Something MUST happen. Whether you call it Civil War or reconciliation.
To wrap up this up. I truly believe HDN must leave. I hope its not until after next year, because if you truly are a Hog fan w/o blinders on. A coaching change at this stage in the year (UNLESS THERE IS TRULY SOMEONE IN THE WINGS ** NOT A BILLY CLYDE SITUATiON) will be devastating to the program. HDN must leave after the end of this coming season. It has reached the point that he could heal the sick, feed the poor, heal the blind, win 14 games and walk on water and a very large percentage of Arkansas would still hate him. He must leave for the long term stability of the "program" I say this without being a darksider or a hugger. I am only a fan. Thanks guys, I enjoy reading the posts. Of course I love lurking in the Tavern even more.  :)

cadensdad

Quote from: mbacker85 on April 05, 2007, 07:41:52 pm
So, mister die hard fan let me ask the question another way.  Mitch is a Freshman. At the time he was sent into the USC game he had only been on campus officially practicing with the team a few weeks.  From that we hear he got very little coaching other than the negative kind. But, yet with his very smooth ball handling mechanics and developing passing we won 7 games with him as quarterback. Just what in the heck did you expect out of him since he should have been red shirted?  It just shows how much you do not know about the game of football.  In other words, you're just blowing it out your tailpipe and typing empty words.

Talk about ball handling Mitch is as smooth as any I have ever seen. He is a wizard with the ball.

1)Ya He is a good when he hands the ball off
2)And to your response about his 7 games, its already been posted but since I am bored here we go...
*Utah State-No comment, D2...wow
*Vandy- Mitch had a GREAT game (2-0; if we are counting Utah)
*Alabama- 7-22  97 yds  1 TD 3 INT...uhhhh....dont think he won this one...thank you McFadden/Jones
*Auburn- 7/10 87 yds (not to mention that 50 of those are from Monks MIRACULOUS catch, so were basically saying he threw 37 yds)...Thank you McFadden again
*Southeast Missouri State- Wow, another hard school like Utah State, yet he only threw for 5-13 51 yards....thank you Smith/Jones/McFadden
*Ole Miss- I wouldnt say Great game, but very good for Mitch (3-0)
*Louisiana Monroe- another great powerhouse, 7-18 71 yards 2td 2 int....thank you Jones/Mcfadden for your combined 270 yards on 20 something carry's.

So basically looking at the stats he went 3-0, but I guess stats lie...so ill stop so you can bash me again for not knowing the game of football...wow

[/quote]
while you are busy looking up stats tell me what dick did the last 4 games and and tell me that you wouldnt have rather had mitch in barely winning those games.

Porkestrator

Quote from: jrohog on April 05, 2007, 09:01:47 pm
However....
He took one trip to USC.

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on April 05, 2007, 08:48:21 pm
Quote from: silvertip on April 05, 2007, 08:43:33 pm
Quote from: jxhopper on April 05, 2007, 07:50:17 pm
Quote from: hogsrmyfav36 on April 05, 2007, 07:48:05 pm
Quote from: jxhopper on April 05, 2007, 07:39:12 pm
There's a great chance Mitch never sniffs playing time at USC.

Like Damian says. "EVERYBODY ON THIS TEAM WAS A 5 STAR STUD"

Has Damian learned to come off a jam yet? He was having a bit of a problem with that in the SEC. He's not going to get the 15 yard cushions he got in high school.

Yet he still was the 2nd leading receiver on last year's team....as a freshman....on a team who's head coach doesn't like passing the ball....yeah, he sucks

I don't care what you say. Damian had more than his fair share of balls being thrown to him...ESPECIALLY as a freshman. He dropped a lot. Damian was even less impressive than Mitch.

Yeah, DW sucked so bad that he was only on the All-SEC Freshman team.
Those darn coaches that voted for him must be Springdale fans, huh Holmes?
Got to love the intelligent posters coming out of the woodwork these days, huh?

Yeah, you "internets warriors" sure are bright because you have a lot of posts. I mean... that must be true because you have alot of posts, huh?

Damian had better stats than most freshmen, because most freshmen on other teams barely play. Other than Monk, our receiving core was weak.

No one said he sucked, oh great posting wizard. I asked if he learned to come off of a jam, and I stated that he dropped many catchable balls.

Porkestrator

Quote from: jxhopper on April 05, 2007, 09:47:50 pm
However....
He took one trip to USC.

Has Damian learned to come off a jam yet? He was having a bit of a problem with that in the SEC. He's not going to get the 15 yard cushions he got in high school.

Yet he still was the 2nd leading receiver on last year's team....as a freshman....on a team who's head coach doesn't like passing the ball....yeah, he sucks

I don't care what you say. Damian had more than his fair share of balls being thrown to him...ESPECIALLY as a freshman. He dropped a lot. Damian was even less impressive than Mitch.

Yeah, you "internets warriors" sure are bright because you have a lot of posts. I mean... that must be true because you have alot of posts, huh?

Damian had better stats than most freshmen, because most freshmen on other teams barely play. Other than Monk, our receiving core was weak.

No one said he sucked, oh great posting wizard. I asked if he learned to come off of a jam, and I stated that he dropped many catchable balls.

Damian will find it hard to find playing time at USC. They are loaded with receivers as good as or better than he.  Of course that is my opinion.

mbacker85

(edit)

vol_in_ar

The kid has been ripped on this board from the day speculation began that he might consider other schools. After the decommitment it got worse.
However....
He took one trip to USC.

well put, hope he does well at USC

THHAWG

Quote from: Gosnellhog on April 05, 2007, 08:22:39 pm
Quote from: THHAWG on April 05, 2007, 05:57:24 pm
How come Dick and Johnson aren't undefeated as starters?  They had the same surrounding cast as Mitch.  Sure Mitch didn't do anything incredible other than win.  Joe Montana never really did anything incredible either, but he sure won.

Some players, no matter what the circumstances, just make the plays that need to be made to win games.

Does anyone care thaqt Matt Jones played a horrible game prior to the Miracle on Markham?  He made the play needed to win the game.
NO Dick didnt have the same cast around him..if u remember Peyton Hillis was out the last three games..now u do the research and find out how many of the few passes Mustain did complete were to Hilllis.....Hillis bailed his ass out many a time. As he wouuld have for Casey had he been playing! Say what u want but when Hillis went down,,we went down...

and McFadden's toe didn't heal until about 6 games into the season.  Casey benefited form a healthier McFadden.

kart17fast

Take passing out of the equation.MM ran the offense so much better than CD.Thats why he was 7-0.CD looks lost trying to hand off the
ball.I'm a life long hog fan living in California and this is killing me.Can the fans revolt and march on the hill with torches and remve the beast.
Please!!!!!!!

mbacker85

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on April 05, 2007, 08:24:36 pm
Quote from: mbacker85 on April 05, 2007, 06:05:30 pm
However....
He took one trip to USC.

Are you serious ?
He won EVERY poty HONOR.
Gatorade.
Parade Magazine.
USA Today.
Atlanta Touchdown Club.
But of course since he/they were from Arkansas you can't figure out how this happened.
Fans in his own home state think he's a 3 star while stupid Pete Carroll treats him like a 5 star.

Of course he got every honor in the book while in high school, he had lineman who gave him all day to see down the field, Damian/Norman/Others who had speed to easily break free from defenders, the team was stacked.  Mitch shined due to the others around him. 

Of course Pete Carrol wants Mitch to come to USC, yes maybe he thinks Mitch is a good player, but I guarantee you he doesn't believe that Mitch is actually going to play, its always nice having a Gatorade national player as your 3rd string because you can. 

And if you could please show me some way that Mitch won all those 7-0 games by himself (because thats what you pretty much using as a crutch) I would be corrected.  But still having the flashback image of Mustain's throw to Monk vs. Auburn, where somehow in Gods name Monk reached out and caught that is still beyond me, and that was just one easy recollection of his bad throws.  To blame that on a "tight" jersey or "tight" shoes is ridiculous. 

I do agree with you in a lot of posts' Mike, so don't think that this is me trying to out-do you, I really just don't see Mustain as that caliber of a player that he was sparked up to be during the preseason or even during the season.
Can you help me find your talent evaluation credentials?  I mean since you know more than Pete Carroll and all. 

I played football with and against several former and current pros, one or two of which might sniff the Hall of Fame.  Mitch Mustain has every tool he needs to play in the NFL.  All he needs is a coach who will put him in a position to learn and gain back the confidence he lost under Dale. 

You don't get to be a UNANIMOUS HS POY because you play with other good players.  If you believe otherwise... well, let's just say ignorance is bliss.

Well obviously I don't know know as much as you seeing how you played football...and with good people none the less!, man...I wish I could be you...oh wait I have played football also, with people who will also probably go pro but thats besides the point.

You stated that "You don't get to be a UNANIMOUS HS POY because you play with other good players"...

Well I beg to differ.

I went to the Gatorade player of the year website and did some research just to see, well heres some examples of other previous winners from selective sports...

*Maya Moore (national girls basketball POY)- team went undefeated, 3rd class 5A state championship, team was number 1 spot in usa todays girls top 25.  Teams final record 125-3 while she attended.
**To me that seems like she was surrounded by a lot of good players, unless she did that all by herself.

*Alix Klineman (National Volleyball POY)- Her team went 37-1, nations number one ranking, schools third straight state championship.  Her teams record went 134-10 at the end of her tenure.
**Just like the basketball POY, her team was dominating in the sport of their states class.

*John Brantley (National Football POY)- His team went 13-1, second straight 2B state championship.  During his tenure the team went 27-1.
**I guess the QB is the only one who made all the plays to develop their record to this monumental stage.

*Greg Oden (National Basketball POY)- His team was number 1 in the final USA today top 25 poll, 29-0 record, 3rd straight 4A state championship.

The list could go on and on.  I am not saying that these athletes are no phenomenal, but to say they are not  surrounded by other amazing athletes is absurd.  Why is it that none of the POY's have 9-19 records, or no state championships, or no rankings in the nation.  One player (with the exception of golf or a solo sport) is going to accomplish these by themselves.  But like you said...ignorance is bliss..

Enjoy the snow!

Bigfoot

However....
He took one trip to USC.

mitch's mother has not been his best asset. she has made him look like a fool! the boy needs a father more than anything.i feel bad for him,i really like mitch.his mother needs to shut her mouth for a change.its just a very sad situation.

CalHog

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 05, 2007, 07:23:03 pm
What he actually said was something like, They'd have to do some major housecleaning top to bottom which they aren't going to do.
Truthfully, knowing how he feels about the way he was treated and the way he was hung out to dry, I don't think he'd come back under any circumstances.
USC fans have been enthusiastic about him coming. Some have said they doubt he'll beat out Sanchez but they don't rip him. They certainly don't say he's overrated and only a 3 star.
Pete Carroll was totally up front with him. He told Mitch they don't make open scholarship offers to just anybody but he could take his time and decide what was best for him. No pressure at all.
He also told Beck that he and his staff don't lie to recruits and parents because they don't have to. If a kid doesn't want to play for USC they just move on to the next top recruit.

I live out here and I guarantee you, all USC fans are excited about the prospect of Mitch coming.  I get asked daily if I know if he is coming or not and when.  He will be treated with respect at USC.

HogSophist

Quote from: mbacker85 on April 05, 2007, 09:55:37 pm
Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on April 05, 2007, 08:24:36 pm
Quote from: mbacker85 on April 05, 2007, 06:05:30 pm
However....
He took one trip to USC.

Are you serious ?
He won EVERY poty HONOR.
Gatorade.
Parade Magazine.
USA Today.
Atlanta Touchdown Club.

Of course he got every honor in the book while in high school, he had lineman who gave him all day to see down the field, Damian/Norman/Others who had speed to easily break free from defenders, the team was stacked.  Mitch shined due to the others around him. 

Of course Pete Carrol wants Mitch to come to USC, yes maybe he thinks Mitch is a good player, but I guarantee you he doesn't believe that Mitch is actually going to play, its always nice having a Gatorade national player as your 3rd string because you can. 

And if you could please show me some way that Mitch won all those 7-0 games by himself (because thats what you pretty much using as a crutch) I would be corrected.  But still having the flashback image of Mustain's throw to Monk vs. Auburn, where somehow in Gods name Monk reached out and caught that is still beyond me, and that was just one easy recollection of his bad throws.  To blame that on a "tight" jersey or "tight" shoes is ridiculous. 

I do agree with you in a lot of posts' Mike, so don't think that this is me trying to out-do you, I really just don't see Mustain as that caliber of a player that he was sparked up to be during the preseason or even during the season.
Can you help me find your talent evaluation credentials?  I mean since you know more than Pete Carroll and all. 

I played football with and against several former and current pros, one or two of which might sniff the Hall of Fame.  Mitch Mustain has every tool he needs to play in the NFL.  All he needs is a coach who will put him in a position to learn and gain back the confidence he lost under Dale. 

You don't get to be a UNANIMOUS HS POY because you play with other good players.  If you believe otherwise... well, let's just say ignorance is bliss.

Well obviously I don't know know as much as you seeing how you played football...and with good people none the less!, man...I wish I could be you...oh wait I have played football also, with people who will also probably go pro but thats besides the point.

You stated that "You don't get to be a UNANIMOUS HS POY because you play with other good players"...

Well I beg to differ.

I went to the Gatorade player of the year website and did some research just to see, well heres some examples of other previous winners from selective sports...

*Maya Moore (national girls basketball POY)- team went undefeated, 3rd class 5A state championship, team was number 1 spot in usa todays girls top 25.  Teams final record 125-3 while she attended.
**To me that seems like she was surrounded by a lot of good players, unless she did that all by herself.

*Alix Klineman (National Volleyball POY)- Her team went 37-1, nations number one ranking, schools third straight state championship.  Her teams record went 134-10 at the end of her tenure.
**Just like the basketball POY, her team was dominating in the sport of their states class.

*John Brantley (National Football POY)- His team went 13-1, second straight 2B state championship.  During his tenure the team went 27-1.
**I guess the QB is the only one who made all the plays to develop their record to this monumental stage.

*Greg Oden (National Basketball POY)- His team was number 1 in the final USA today top 25 poll, 29-0 record, 3rd straight 4A state championship.

The list could go on and on.  I am not saying that these athletes are no phenomenal, but to say they are not  surrounded by other amazing athletes is absurd.  Why is it that none of the POY's have 9-19 records, or no state championships, or no rankings in the nation.  One player (with the exception of golf or a solo sport) is going to accomplish these by themselves.  But like you said...ignorance is bliss..

Enjoy the snow!

Yep you proved your point. everyone give up. Greg Oden, surrounded by talent in high school. College flop. I bet he doesnt even start for OHIO STATE next year. I wonder where he will be....
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

Hong Kong Sooey

However....
He took one trip to USC.

Wow, your intellect shames me.  I guess the corp of freshmen receivers at National Champion Florida who all had more catches than our second leading receiver prove your point in spades. 

Enjoy the crow...

coachp

Actually he can not play due to Nutt!  He has a seperated shoulder jacka**.

Big_D

However....
He took one trip to USC.

Well it sounds like you are a Nutt man. Let me tell you what David Lee told me on the last day he was here before heading to Dallas for good , moving his family. He told me point blank he was the best quarterback he had seen in all his 30 years of looking at high school quarterbacks, period. No what if's or he needs this, nothing. His words were " he can do it all, long throws , short , medium, with touch , everything. He's your quarterback coach now so what do you say to that?

I know of what I speak cause he said it to me directly, none of this I heard it from a friend of a friend of a friend.

You can believe what you want,these are the facts .I know David very well and also Gus very well, all 3 of my boys played for him. In fact I talked in person with him the night he took the Tulsa job. I have spoken in person with both of these guys  hundreds of times. I don't get on here and say much , but this ignorant blasting of Mitch Mustain is insane. He was and still is the real deal, face it. Mike knows of what he speaks, this kid was screwed, blued and glued to the wall  by the MSM.

But what do you know? Not a helluva a lot by what you said in your post.

mbacker85

I don't know how I will be eating crow when you will never hear of Mustain again after he enrolls at USC...but what do I know, you played football...

and to Hogsophist-
I have no idea what your talking about, you might want to read more before you start typing.  I never said Mustain was a flop.  My debate was that HongKong said he wasn't surrounded by other good players....

And just to clarify I'm not bashing anyone or any player from Arkansas, I'm just expressing my opinion that I didn't think Mustain was very good when he played.  I respect y'alls opinion, but with that said....

Have a good Friday, Snow day, or Crow day.

Bigfoot

Quote from: coachp on April 05, 2007, 10:11:20 pm

he has a sprained shoulder jacka$$!!

WASAHAWG70

Can anybody name one head football coach in D1 that benched his starting QB with seven straight wins because he threw 1 int. in his 8th game?

arkfanchip

Quote from: Idahog on April 05, 2007, 05:20:55 pm
Unless you've been living in a cave you should know that Mustain being a student at the U of A has nothing to do with him being on the football team.
They'd have to fire virtually everybody on the football staff and in the Broyles Center plus the chancellor for Mitch to come back.

So you're saying theres a chance?  (+1 if you know what movie thats from btw)

dumb and dumber

razornole

hey come on we can dream can't we.  I for one think the whole bunch needs to move on and show their love for a new helmut and the old guy will focus his full attention to golf or his new wife or traveling and whatever else the Parson said were possible reasons Frank might retire
Broyles is Porter Waggoner trying to play hip-hop - John Brummett

cubsfan5150

This is one of the most pointless arguments that I've seen on Hogville in sometime.  Mustain is gone right?  It sucks yes, but we've got to deal with what we've got now.  As far as the 7-0 thing.  I would equate that to the starting pitcher in baseball that won 17 games, but had an ERA that was 4.50+ (See Jon Garland 2006).  The only reason that he won all those games is because his team won the game for HIM, not him winning the game.  That doesn't make the pitcher good, it makes him lucky.  Mitch might turn out to be a very good QB, but he wasn't anything special last year for you guys to be making such a fuss. 
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

HognotinMemphis

However....
He took one trip to USC.

Insecurities and stupidity cause those kinds of reactions to excellence. No shock the way Nutt and co. treated Mitch and Williams.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

superjw

However....
He took one trip to USC.

speechless...sorry Mitch...you deserve better
The Law of Insanity is this - doing things the same way and expecting different results.

LyonHog

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on April 05, 2007, 11:33:11 pm
This is one of the most pointless arguments that I've seen on Hogville in sometime.  Mustain is gone right?  It sucks yes, but we've got to deal with what we've got now.  As far as the 7-0 thing.  I would equate that to the starting pitcher in baseball that won 17 games, but had an ERA that was 4.50+ (See Jon Garland 2006).  The only reason that he won all those games is because his team won the game for HIM, not him winning the game.  That doesn't make the pitcher good, it makes him lucky.  Mitch might turn out to be a very good QB, but he wasn't anything special last year for you guys to be making such a fuss. 

Well what about Matt Stafford?  He threw 13 or so INT's this year but he kept playing.  Now look at georgia, an expericenced Qb who they have faith in.  What do we have:  Two dicks and DL's son-in-law (or soon to be)

woodhog14

However....
He took one trip to USC.

You are an idiot!

hog4ever

I do not care if MM stays or goes but to build him up like some have is total BS.  As one poster mentioned he had a great cast around him at SHS.  What about the allstar game where everything he through was high I do not remember the exact stats but I believe he was like 1 of 11.  He looked pitiful.  Why?  Because he was playing against guys that had talent.  Something he never faced in Arkansas.  I can not wait for HDN to leave and I would like to see what type of QB that MM could end up being but it is and was his decision to leave.  I hate all of the things that has happened to him and if it was my son there would be some serious arse kicking still going on in hog town.  I guess my point is that I think he is probably a fine young man but I do not think he is anything more than a good QB.  JMO

stchane

Since we all want to bash MM, lets take a look at his performance, not his stats.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=btDR0IVnrtg

Lets start there.  Click on my name to see the any other game you want.  I didn't get the ULM or SEMO games.  Sorry. 

And for clarifications sake Mr. Phi Delta Theta, MM DID win the Bama game.  Yeah, he threw 3 picks, but he also threw the game winning TD.  On the subject,  hows the 'ol PDT house anyway?  Has Jennings remodeled yet??
For all your Razorback Football Needs: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?user=stchane

pbjones81

Quote from: JoeDaddyHog on April 05, 2007, 04:58:01 pm
I didn't catch the first part of this but the gist was that the caller was possibly a former player (w/ Holtz) and current booster, stated that if Mustain leaves, Nutt is definitely gone!!!  He mentioned this was per a BOT member and other powerful boosters (i.e. Billy Ray Smith mentioned by name).  It was a rather long call and he went into a few details about JFB and how he ran the program going all the way back to Sutton and Holtz.  He definitely was not pleased how Holtz was handled.  Take it for what you will.

Also, the FOI issue was one of the top stories leading off this program down here!!!

IF Mustain leaves??  IF??  Am I missing something in this statement??

RazorBassin

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on April 05, 2007, 11:33:11 pm

He's a freshman QB in the SEC.  Name me another freshman QB in one of the Big conferences that is 7-0.  I'm not saying he didn't have help, IE. DMC and Jones, but CD had the same help.  I don't think his stats were any better.  Didn't CD play some last year too.  So, doesn't that give him an experience advantage.  If you ask me, I didn't see a more experienced QB in CD.  He looked worse in the pocket then MM.  I wish we would at least of had the chance to see MM play those 4 games and see the player he would have developed into.  I hope PC turns him into a 1st or 2nd round player, and personally, I think we will see him play on Sunday someday.  If not, I'll put my bib on and eat my crow.  mmmmmmmmm

jbcarol

However....
He took one trip to USC.

I believe it now.   I would not have believed it before December 2006.  From the outside the perception is "why are these prima donnas (proper spelling) whining?"  Look at the bullet points above.  That's the problem with the U of A football situation.  U of A recruited and position coached to a level to compete with National Champions (save Special Teams).  Lack of attention to detail, pettiness, and not understanding the PR disaster that would come from recruiting and then submarining the best this State had to offer derailed any chance to win the big one.

Florida had the potential for this kind of issue magnified a few times.  Yet the QB situation and all situations looked like one happy family.  Where does the leadership come from to ensure that happens?  Tebow could not do that by himself.  If Tebow's equipment was ill-fitting do you think the equipment manager would be spared from the UF fan base.  The head coach?  I don't think so.  How about a "Code Red" on Tebow?  Not likely.  Leak had to be getting bombarded by hate.  How did they manage it to make him look like a champion and not a guy looking over his shoulder?  That's how you get to play on Jan. 8.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

OKCHogFan

I wish Mitch well... i'm disappointed and upset at how he was treated.

jbcarol

Quote from: WASAHAWG70 on April 05, 2007, 11:20:39 pm
Can anybody name one head football coach in D1 that benched his starting QB with seven straight wins because he threw 1 int. in his 8th game?

Not even Spurrier.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Porkestrator

Actually he can not play due to Nutt!  He has a seperated shoulder jacka**.

Oh. It's Nutt's fault he drops balls and never learned to come off a jam. Looks like you have a separated intellect.

By the way... note the proper way to spell "separated".

Porkestrator

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on April 05, 2007, 10:07:43 pm
However....
He took one trip to USC.

Wow, your intellect shames me.  I guess the corp of freshmen receivers at National Champion Florida who all had more catches than our second leading receiver prove your point in spades. 

Enjoy the crow...
Wow... idiot's night at the Improv. First, you are comparing Florida's receivers to ours... good call!
Second, Florida only had one true freshman with any amount of significant catches...Percy Harvin with 34. The rest had nowhere near what DW had, and Florida actually had a passing attack.

Let's just get this straight. DW is nowhere near Percy Harvin's league.

I can see how my intellect would shame you. It wouldn't take much.

wooly

I am not going to argue MM vs. Dick. That is pointless.  W/ or W/O Hillis, against patsies/better competition, 
W or W/O an injured McFadden.....We as a team could have very well been 6-5 or worse.

What I would like to know is where was Malzahn during the equipment problems?  The only guy on the staff, Mustain should have been able to trust above all others, was not able to help him in these matters. 

Nobody on a staff of 7/8 men with kids of their own felt the need to help a kid out.

PiggyBack

ATTENTION:

Those of who who insist on arguing with Mike on this subject are making yourselves look foolish.  Of all the media folks out there, Mike is about as close to the situation as anyone can get.  If you listened to PR every morning you would know that.

Jealousy and insecurity (from both the MSM and some players) led to Mitch being hazed worse than a lifetime homeschooler in a locker room.  FOR ANYONE TO SUGGEST THAT MITCH WAS OVERRATED IS SIMPLY FOOLISH AND STUPID.

We NEVER work on the passing game at Arkansas.  GM was NEVER allowed to develop our receivers.  JFB forbade the HUNH and Dale was all too eager to oblige.  Mal-uh-zahn was treated like crap.  Mitch and Damian were treated like crap.  ARSN rushed to the defense of Dale and JFB while at the same time allowing GM/MM/DW to be tarred and feathered DAILY on their shows.

Anyone with a lick of sense should be able to see from ALL that has transpired with HDN (48 page FOIA/player arrests/record against quality teams) and the current basketball debacle that there is absolutely no leadership, class, or integrity to be found in the UA athletic department.

You should be ashamed of yourselves for defending this bunch.

"But HDN was the SEC COY!!"  If Dale were so great, why did NO ONE WANT HIM?

"But, HDN won ten games!!"  Take away USU, SEMO, ULM.  Look at the fact that we should have lost to both Vandy (backwards pass ruled incomplete) and 'Bama (HDN must have paid their kicker).  Look at the fact that TN and Auburn were our only two quality wins.  Look at the fact that we lost 50-14 on national television AT HOME against USC. 

"I trust HDN as a recruiter!"  I won't even try to list all of the fantastic, Arkansas talent that Dale has lost.  Even if I did, you would poo poo it saying "Well, we only want kids that WANT to be hogs!"  Yeah, I'm sure Pete Carrol only gets kids who WANT to be Trojans.  I bet he doesn't recruit at all!  I bet he doesn't have to convince kids to go there at all!

We are beyond the point of debate, ladies and gentlemen.  In no measurable way can anyone possibly look at the facts and conclude that Houston Dale Nutt is the right man for the job at the University of Arkansas.
Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

silvertip

Quote from: bigfoot on April 05, 2007, 10:16:01 pm

Does a sprained shoulder require surgery? I'm under the impression that DW just had or is about to have surgery on that shoulder. Is that right, anybody?

The Marmot

However....
He took one trip to USC.

Blind, deaf and dumb...
I was booooorn to love you... I was booooorn to lick your face... I was booooorn to rub you... but you were born to rub me first - Ty Webb

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 28, 2014, 06:59:50 pm
The fact that you can type the words doesn't stop the thought behind those words from being horseshit.

GO HOGS!!!!!!!

Hawglover1988

Quote from: JoeDaddyHog on April 05, 2007, 04:58:01 pm
I didn't catch the first part of this but the gist was that the caller was possibly a former player (w/ Holtz) and current booster, stated that if Mustain leaves, Nutt is definitely gone!!!  He mentioned this was per a BOT member and other powerful boosters (i.e. Billy Ray Smith mentioned by name).  It was a rather long call and he went into a few details about JFB and how he ran the program going all the way back to Sutton and Holtz.  He definitely was not pleased how Holtz was handled.  Take it for what you will.

Also, the FOI issue was one of the top stories leading off this program down here!!!

Ummmm.... Mustain is no longer on the team and won't be and HDN is still here.  I guess those are the only facts that I can see.

Hawglover1988

Quote from: Big_D on April 05, 2007, 10:12:23 pm
However....
He took one trip to USC.

Well it sounds like you are a Nutt man. Let me tell you what David Lee told me on the last day he was here before heading to Dallas for good , moving his family. He told me point blank he was the best quarterback he had seen in all his 30 years of looking at high school quarterbacks, period. No what if's or he needs this, nothing. His words were " he can do it all, long throws , short , medium, with touch , everything. He's your quarterback coach now so what do you say to that?

I know of what I speak cause he said it to me directly, none of this I heard it from a friend of a friend of a friend.

You can believe what you want,these are the facts .I know David very well and also Gus very well, all 3 of my boys played for him. In fact I talked in person with him the night he took the Tulsa job. I have spoken in person with both of these guys  hundreds of times. I don't get on here and say much , but this ignorant blasting of Mitch Mustain is insane. He was and still is the real deal, face it. Mike knows of what he speaks, this kid was screwed, blued and glued to the wall  by the MSM.

But what do you know? Not a helluva a lot by what you said in your post.

But what you are stating is still hearsay.  You stating that someone else said this.  I've seen way to many people lie just to prove their point.

biggiepiggie

We didn't win the Alabama game by running or the Vanderbilt game.

mikeirwin

Quote from: bigfoot on April 05, 2007, 10:16:01 pm

Sorry, it's separated according to his doctor in LA. It has been separated all long.