Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Irwin Hinted...............................

Started by redbarn, April 04, 2007, 10:29:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Shrekster,  I don't know. 

But have you noticed the increase in computing performance. 
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Fatty McGee

Quote from: Shrekster on April 05, 2007, 09:37:15 am
I disagree.  I truly think that everything hinges on the Kentucky Job.  Coaches know that Broyles is on the way out.  They know that it is just a matter of time before he no longer calls the shots.  We will get a quality coach becuase, above all of the hullabaloo, Arkansas is a quality job with a tradition for winning.  A lot of ppl will argue that the tradition is gone, but I don't think that way.  We may be struggling.  It may be (has been) slim for a while.  But better times are around the corner.  New blood is coming to high level positions at UA and I think that will make all the difference.

I agree with you on Kentucky.  I think White was correct in saying that there are a lot of people waiting on that job and once it's filled, things are going to shake loose.
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

HogginDaze

I don't think UK matters one wit with our position. No one is going to run to UA that is being considered by UK. They are all in much better positions at this point. If you think a coach making good money and in a good position is going to come running to a lame duck AD, a potential mess with players' eligibility, and an athletic department otherwise in chaos, your optimism has reached a point were it no longer qualifies as such and has reached a point of hope that has no definition or limit.

Or it could also be called foolishness.

There are no big names coming. If we were set to hire DA and something squared him (a career mid-major off), do you think someone in a much better situation, with much better credentials is going to come running?

Get real folks.

This AD needs an enema in the figurative sense, of course he is getting them regularly in the literal sense.

ishankem

I'm glad they hired a search firm, and removed the reins from Frank's cold dead fingers.  I think that move will keep the press away from spreading unfounded rumors about who is being contacted, and etc.  We need some peace and quiet for a while on this search and I think we will wind up with a decent coach.  The sky is not falling and the program will come out of this mess in good shape. Be optimistic!

Shrekster

Quote from: HogginDaze on April 05, 2007, 09:47:46 am
I don't think UK matters one wit with our position. No one is going to run to UA that is being considered by UK. They are all in much better positions at this point. If you think a coach making good money and in a good position is going to come running to a lame duck AD, a potential mess with players' eligibility, and an athletic department otherwise in chaos, your optimism has reached a point were it no longer qualifies as such and has reached a point of hope that has no definition or limit.

Or it could also be called foolishness.

There are no big names coming. If we were set to hire DA and something squared him (a career mid-major off), do you think someone in a much better situation, with much better credentials is going to come running?

Get real folks.

This AD needs an enema in the figurative sense, of course he is getting them regularly in the literal sense.

So you can't take Altman at his word?  You don't think that his family was the determining factor in his deciding to go back to Omaha? 

I think he was being honest.  I think that at first, his reaction was excitement at being offered a "high-profile" job.  (Whether you want to admit it or not, UA is high-profile.)  Then, he began to think about it.  His family loved Omaha, his players wanted him back, and guess what!  He realized that he belonged there!  I really don't believe that crap about all the chaos on the hill being the deciding factor in his leaving.

Speaking for myself only, I am not foolish.  I don't expect Adolph Rupp to rise from the dead to coach the Hogs, but I really do think that Arkansas is going to get a quality coach.  A big name, Div. 1 coach from another winning school?  Maybe not, but a quality coach nonetheless...much to the chagrin of those who think that UA Sports are dead and gone.
I bleed red...but its cardinal red.

TennesseeRaz

Quote from: mikeirwin on April 04, 2007, 10:54:41 pm
BD holds the key to a lot of things.
Once the Kentucky job is filled some attitudes could change in a hurry if the right dollar figure is offered.

Butch Davis?!?!  I wish he had keys to the BAC!  (Well, I briefly hoped that's what you meant.)

HogginDaze

I think Altman was being diplomatic.

The problem is not what UA is, it is what it is perceived as right now. The problems are very real apparently.

Are we going to spend the money?

Are we going to ensure that things a new coach would want will be in place?

Anyone worth their salt, is going to want to know the direction of the AD.

Those things might determine how big a name we get.

However, I think those who continue to say we get a big name because we are Arkansas are setting up the fanbase for disappointment and making it hard to accept the inevitable mid-major/assistant coach type of hire.

I want the best but I think these folks "in the know" are not doing us any favors.

KAHog

Any of you that were on the hill in the 90's will know the name I propose for coach.  I think we should get Maple Man.  Sure he'd be good with the dough, in great shape from trekking all the hills around campus, has a fashion sense in line with Nolan, and he loves his hair helmet.

Razorbuck

April 05, 2007, 10:37:13 am #108 Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 10:55:35 am by Razorbuck
Quote from: ark30inf on April 04, 2007, 10:53:11 pm
Expect Dickey Nutt.  I tell ya, expect Dickey Nutt.

That way anything you get you will be happy with.

LOL
Our new motto:  We have the Nutts to win in the SEC!!
Now let's go win a Championship!

moses_007

To heck with all the has-beens.  Let's just offer between $3.5 and 4.0 million and hire Donovan, who is undoubtedly the very best coach in America.  I really don't see BD taking the Kentucky job and he may feel like he has done all he can do at Florida and wants another opportunity elsewhere.  Wouldn't that be awesome guys?  :razorback:

Pig In The City

Quote from: redbarn on April 04, 2007, 10:29:45 pm
Don't know if any of you watched Mike tonight on channel 5 but they had a lengthy news report on the Altman mess and at the end Mike hinted that a big name coach who was talked to earlier would be contacted again and offered more money.   Hope I heard that right Mike.  Here is a link to Mike's news report though I don't believe the part about offering the big name coach is in it.

http://www.kfsm.com/Global/story.asp?S=6327219

I don't see us landing BG or Calipari.  The Kentucky job needs to be filled first and maybe Fla. (if Donovan goes to KY) before we have a good sense of who is left standing.  Otherwise, we take a middle of the road coach like Altman.  Most likely the latter.  Doherty from SMU might be a good choice or Theus (sp?) from NM State.

Pig In The City

Quote from: moses_007 on April 05, 2007, 10:41:25 am
To heck with all the has-beens.  Let's just offer between $3.5 and 4.0 million and hire Donovan, who is undoubtedly the very best coach in America.  I really don't see BD taking the Kentucky job and he may feel like he has done all he can do at Florida and wants another opportunity elsewhere.  Wouldn't that be awesome guys?  :razorback:

I'm hoping for the best but lets face it, Arkansas doesn't have the push anymore to draw a top candidate.  The truth hurts.  The fact that they hired Altman in the first place indicates that.  No big time coaches to U of A.  Expect a middle of the road guy that hopefully can turn things around.

Jim

If prestige is the name of the game and IF Donovan takes the Kentucky gig, what is there to make us think that the "big names" we have on our handy-dandy blackberries wouldn't turn their attention towards Gainesville instead of Fayetteville? 

I believe the Kentucky job will determine where, how and when some guys end up but (imo) I don't believe Arkansas is going to be in the mix of top 2-3 schools immediately affected by the Kentucky job.

For example, let's say Donovan goes to KY.  If we're still going to pursue BG (again), wouldn't the FLA job be more attractive/sexy/prominent than we are, regardless of how much $$$ we throw at him?  And does then aTm's past RECENT success become more top of mind for prospective guys? 

Same thing applies to Memphis and Louisville.

I don't know myself...just asking questions out loud.

I did see a list of jobs still open on ESPN.com and thought the Ark gig looked MUCH better than a lot of those other mids but then again, I live here and think that.  Perhaps the truth of who we REALLY are hasn't quite sunk in yet...

playboy

April 05, 2007, 11:14:01 am #113 Last Edit: April 05, 2007, 11:15:35 am by playboy
Quote from: Jim on April 05, 2007, 11:12:36 am
If prestige is the name of the game and IF Donovan takes the Kentucky gig, what is there to make us think that the "big names" we have on our handy-dandy blackberries wouldn't turn their attention towards Gainesville instead of Fayetteville? 

I believe the Kentucky job will determine where, how and when some guys end up but (imo) I don't believe Arkansas is going to be in the mix of top 2-3 schools immediately affected by the Kentucky job.

For example, let's say Donovan goes to KY.  If we're still going to pursue BG (again), wouldn't the FLA job be more attractive/sexy/prominent than we are, regardless of how much $$$ we throw at him?  And does then aTm's past RECENT success become more top of mind for prospective guys? 

Same thing applies to Memphis and Louisville.

I don't know myself...just asking questions out loud.

I did see a list of jobs still open on ESPN.com and thought the Ark gig looked MUCH better than a lot of those other mids but then again, I live here and think that.  Perhaps the truth of who we REALLY are hasn't quite sunk in yet...

I'm not sure why, but for some reason I have the impression that Florida will not be interested in going after a big-name coach.  If they were going to go after a big-name, wouldn't they just pay Donovan whatever it takes to keep him?

hawaiianhogster

Quote from: hoginsanfran on April 04, 2007, 10:45:23 pm
CALIPARI WILL BE NAMED BY GOOD FRIDAY

TAKE IT FOR WHAT ITS WORTH

I hope your gut feeling isn't getting in the way of your thinking mechanism. I'd be happy with that pick.

hawaiianhogster

The way Frank was handling things we were on our way to hiring a high school coach.

biggiepiggie

We should never, ever consider BG again, under any conditions.

hawgtime

Quote from: Arkiebrian on April 04, 2007, 10:34:26 pm
Could be Gillespie too...

I have to be honest, Gillespie never won me over - but I'd take him.

I'd rather have ...

Calipari
Grant
Anderson
Floyd