Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

***Official Dana Altman Press Conference Thread***

Started by Rooka, April 02, 2007, 04:54:39 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

southern hawg

Quote from: hoghevn on April 02, 2007, 05:40:00 pm
I know it's been metioned before, but it's official now.  I want to know what Broyles' meant by that.  What is he going to be doing?
AD Emeritus, I think that's what it's called. 

Franchise_Hog

Quote from: Oliver Miller on April 02, 2007, 05:26:41 pm
I have to admit that Altman sounds like he knows his stuff and is very well spoken.  Then again, so did Heath.

Couldn't have said it better....he's growing on me already.

Lokirain

This is pathetic. Arkansas Basketball used to stand for something. Altman is a nobody, and not because he's not had the chance.

Oliver

IllmaticRackit

"I wanted to make one more move and this was it." 

I think im gonna like this guy.
"If you have hate in your heart, let it out."

-Chappelle

ilovepinebluff

Quote from: Lokirain on April 02, 2007, 05:43:44 pm
This is pathetic. Arkansas Basketball used to stand for something. Altman is a nobody, and not because he's not had the chance.

What is his record at Arkansas?

LZH

If he's a boring personality...he'd better at least be a hoot in the living room.  I don't doubt he can coach, but can he recruit McD All-Americans?

U.P. HOGG

Great Post.  (Not at all)

WichitaStateRazorback

I attend wichita state and have had the opportunity to see his bluejays take it to the shockers several times...all in all i believe he will be good for the hogs

CardinalHog

"Hopefully the fans will be patient."

Coach, you have all five starters returning next year. You have to win, now.

U.P. HOGG

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 02, 2007, 05:44:47 pm
If he's a boring personality...he'd better at least be a hoot in the living room.  I don't doubt he can coach, but can he recruit McD All-Americans?

We will find out how he can recruit very soon

Smokehouse

Well, I hope his play is something exciting to watch. I'll be at every home game with the band again next year, and would like something up-tempo to be watching. I'll give him a chance, but I was getting really excited about seeing some of the names thrown around earlier across the court from me...
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Killean

Quote from: CardinalHog on April 02, 2007, 05:45:31 pm
"Hopefully the fans will be patient."

Coach, you have all five starters returning next year. You have to win, now.

Doof, he meant be patient til you can see the team take the floor.  Even mentioned about seeing the product.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

Boarcephus

Does this guy remind anyone of a white Stan Heath?  Well spoken, polite, but not very excitable.   Hope he's a helluva lot firier (is that a word???) on the court than he is at a press conference.  I've never seen him coach so I wonder if he's the type to crawl someones butt or is more the Stan Heath type where he tries to reason with them?   

On a positive note, I liked how he addressed his KState experience.  18 years ago and he's gotten alot better.  Nuff said for me. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

LZH

Quote from: BigNasty56187 on April 02, 2007, 05:45:07 pm
I attend wichita state and have had the opportunity to see his bluejays take it to the shockers several times...all in all i believe he will be good for the hogs

Can he chew some ass out when needed?

Ray Piggers

Gotta say, I was impressed with him. I liked the way he handled himself. I liked the way he described his coaching style. I was a bit skeptical at first, and still am to an extent, but after the press conference I have a little more confidence in our program than I did this morning.
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

HAM ELLIOT

Right now, I am not sold on him.  However, its the way its gonna be, and now we just have to wait and see. 

pigmania

I hope he is tired because there is not much excitment. Could someone please wake me up when the PC is over.

WestMemphisHogFan

Quote from: DahawgsN07 on April 02, 2007, 05:48:00 pm
Gotta say, I was impressed with him. I liked the way he handled himself. I liked the way he described his coaching style. I was a bit skeptical at first, and still am to an extent, but after the press conference I have a little more confidence in our program than I did this morning.

I was pretty skeptical as well...but now I am excited.  Ready to see some consistent pressing again in BWA!

TheShow

Heath had one year of success before he came here, Altman has had several successful years.  I know it was at a mid-major, but he is stepping into a situation where, if he utilizes the returning talent, he can win immediatly!

Erockster20

As of right now..........Good Hire............Now go keep PB...........Keep Bush............And WIN Baby WIN!

WOW, 3 out of 4 people on here need to go out and get them some. Can't you get excited over anything? I guess if you could you would! I for one can't wait til fall.
Steve Spurrier, Florida football coach, telling Gator fans that a fire at Auburn's football dorm had destroyed 20 books: "But the real tragedy was that 15 hadn't been colored yet." (1991)

joshog

Altman was very well spoken.  I just hope he didnt drive hill to the draft when he started talking about his teams taking alot of 3s

That will be great in a couple years, but as it is right now, Patrick Beverly is the only person on this team with a shot worth a mention.   Feed it inside to the big boys for 1 year, and then bring your own players in.  Lets hope it all works out

Any word on whether or not he is keeping our assistants, or bringing in new ones

If Hill goes then i dont think it would be because of that because He did say that after looking at the size of the players he may change that and send it inside more.(or something to that effect)  Already thinking and open to new game plans!  Unlike a certain football coach I know... ;)

WichitaStateRazorback

Quote from: LedZepHog on April 02, 2007, 05:47:08 pm
Quote from: BigNasty56187 on April 02, 2007, 05:45:07 pm

Can he chew some ass out when needed?
he usually seemed a little calm on the sideline..but that was compared to turgeon who always seemed to be a little steamed....i do remember DA getting in nate funks face during one game....what really impressed me when watching DA was his ability to always find a way to shut down the shockers offense

HUNGLOWHOG

RocknRollRazorback

Quote from: Boarcephus on April 02, 2007, 05:46:52 pm
Does this guy remind anyone of a white Stan Heath?  Well spoken, polite, but not very excitable. 

stan heath reminds me of a white stan heath
"You're no rock and roll fun! Like a party that's over before it begun. You're no walk in the park- more like a shot in the dark with clues left for no one."

Lokirain

Very boring press conference. This guy is no better than Heath. Sad day to be a Hog fan folks. Promised Guillespie and given this nimrod. I am starting to believe that the minute Broyles is gone, the new AD needs to hire a new basketball coach.

Lokirain

HUNGLOWHOG

LL COOL HOG

Quote from: RocknRollRazorback on April 02, 2007, 05:52:09 pm
Does this guy remind anyone of a white Stan Heath?  Well spoken, polite, but not very excitable. 

Another stereotype...Anyway.  Well I like his demeanor and he said my favorite 4 letter word.   PRESS.  I wasn't sure about him at first. I'm starting to come around.

SnoopHogg

PBEV was there, and smiling.  Will be interviewed and heard in a bit.

hawaiianhogster

I didn't listen to any of this cause I'm at work. But it sounds as though we have a coach that wants to retire with one last chance for glory. A man on a mission. To retire as the man that brought Arkansas BB back into the the top 20 every year with multiple NC championship games. Maybe at least one. Who knows he might do what Nolan was unable to do. Win back to back.

Now lets get behind this coach and show him what kind of fans he's been missing all these years. Lets call them hogs proudly!
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOPIGSOOOOIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS!
National Champions here we come!

No need bickering when we can have some fun. Save the bickering for Nutt ball and Frank.

U.P. HOGG

Does this guy remind anyone of a white Stan Heath?  Well spoken, polite, but not very excitable.   Hope he's a helluva lot firier (is that a word???) on the court than he is at a press conference.  I've never seen him coach so I wonder if he's the type to crawl someones butt or is more the Stan Heath type where he tries to reason with them?  

On a positive note, I liked how he addressed his KState experience.  18 years ago and he's gotten alot better.  Nuff said for me. 

He is a lot different on the court, trust me.

SnoopHogg

McCurdy was the ONLY player not there... according to Drive Time

hawgsav1

well, I hope he coaches better than he gives press conferences.  But I'm not one to judge a coach by his press conference.  He's got a few months to make a difference.  GO HOGS!!!!
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Lokirain

Quote from: HUNGLOWHOG on April 02, 2007, 05:55:45 pm
WHO SAYS SO

Tell me why the SEC Freshman of the Year would want to stay here and rebuild for three years (his entire career)? Beverly is going to play where he can get some attention and somewhere where the team has a shot in hell at winning... Altman isn't going to win crap his first two years here. This was a desperate hire and the players know that.

arkjay19

Quote from: RocknRollRazorback on April 02, 2007, 05:52:09 pm

a mistype i'm sure

ilovepinebluff

since when have press conferences been "exciting"?

jchill

I like Dana, I think he will do well here and surprise some people. His wife is cute too.

Hog Scratch Fever

This kind of reminded me of the movie "Hoosiers" when Gene Hackman's character (I can't remember his name) took the job and the parents and fans didn't quite know what to think of him.  He was boring, quiet, and serious.  But he won.  I am an outgoing person myself and I like that in a leader, but the last 10 years with a car salesman at football coach has cured me of that.  Not meant to be a HDN post, but I had to make the comparison.  Results are what matter, and if he wins, I'm on board.  I also like the fact that he presses most of the time.  The main point is......any coach can say anything.  I'm just glad this one doesn't over promise and under deliver.  (ie:  "National Championship under Construction" or "We'll have an improved passing game this year!"
"It got a little nippy through the pass!"

SnoopHogg

So some of you would rather have a Houston Nutt type press conference?  Promises, exciting... blah, blah.  I don't care if he is the most boring fella in the world, wins are all that matter to me.  I've turned around completely and i'm giving this guy a shot. 

Killean

Quote from: Lokirain on April 02, 2007, 05:52:38 pm
Very boring press conference. This guy is no better than Heath. Sad day to be a Hog fan folks. Promised Guillespie and given this nimrod. I am starting to believe that the minute Broyles is gone, the new AD needs to hire a new basketball coach.

Why don't you just STFU about all your anti- whoever but your guy was crap and go root for another team who'll have you.

I think ASU needs fans.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

wirebender25

Quote from: Smithian on April 02, 2007, 05:20:37 pm
They had more average attendance at Creighton than Arkansas this year.

That says something.

What else is there to do at Creighton?

southern hawg

Where can I watch a replay of the press conference online? (sorry if already posted)

gohogs3218

The things you guys are happy about are the same things Heath had.  Professional, classy, and well-spoken.  That is great, but we need a coach that can motivate talent.  He may be more exciting when coaching, but his press conference was plain boring.  

Secondly, he has been a Creighton eighteen years and made the NCAA Tournament seven times.  Heath made it two out of five years in a tougher conference.  After doing some math, if heath were given eighteen years he would have made the Tournament 7.2 times.  How is Altman a step up?

I will not root against him.  I hope he succeeds.  I just don't think this was the right hire.  I guess time will tell.

SpareRib

Pal, you've been bad mouthing this deal all day long in one and two sentence shots.  Altman may not have been your choice (He wasn't mine), but he's now part of the family.  He brings a respectable record from a private university, a good reputation in his community, and has an identifiable and more exciting style on the floor that he plans to implement here.  If he wins, he'll reinvigorate the fan base and fill some seats.  If he doesn't, he'll be gone.

In the mean time, calling this situation "pathetic" and referring to Altman as a "nobody" is absolutely infantile.  He is now our coach.  Just stop the childish crap.

Pork Out
I'll fish 'til the money's gone ... then I'll fish for food!<br /><br />My heritage - Dutch/Polish/German on one side, English/Welsh on the other.  I'm a mutt, not a show dog.  Proud to be an American!

Erockster20

Quote from: Lokirain on April 02, 2007, 05:59:10 pm
WHO SAYS SO

Tell me why the SEC Freshman of the Year would want to stay here and rebuild for three years (his entire career)? Beverly is going to play where he can get some attention and somewhere where the team has a shot in hell at winning... Altman isn't going to win crap his first two years here. This was a desperate hire and the players know that.

We can win next year, this isn't a rebuilding project.  This is a win more project.

golfjam

his mouth reminded me of Bill Cohwer without the spit.....he'll be o.k.....he'd better be!
golf
It's Evolution Baby!

3kgthog

So we are now just like Auburn in that we're going to shoot a lot of 3s and hope for the best? Nice.

hawaiianhogster

Quote from: Lokirain on April 02, 2007, 05:59:10 pm
WHO SAYS SO

Wouldn't you want to be given the chance to prove yourself before everyone started saying that you couldn't get it done and is the worst hire ever in company history? Come on now. Have some faith in this coach. Burn Frank on the cross all you want. Same with Nutt but give this innocent man the chance to prove to his players he can get it done. Then if the players don't believe in him, then go ahead and crucify him. He hasn't coached not one second and you already are lost in your own hatred for the BB program Frank has ruined.