Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Official "I Support Dana Altman as HC" thread

Started by dakpowers, April 02, 2007, 10:52:17 am

Previous topic - Next topic

dakpowers

April 02, 2007, 10:52:17 am Last Edit: April 02, 2007, 11:04:48 am by dakpowers
I hope I can speak for a few others when I say that as a Razorback fan, I personally am sick and tired of being miserable about my basketball team. I'm sick of worrying about whether our "good team" or "bad team" will be on the court on the night of any given game. I grew sick of yelling at Stan Heath, knowing all the time that it wasn't going to make him any better of a head coach.

Today, we turn over a new leaf. Today, I have feelings about the next basketball season that I haven't for years--excitement and anticipation. I view the 2007-2008 season with a clean slate. For the sake of the aforementioned feelings, I hold no judgement against Dana Altman except for what I learn from this day on. I don't care about what he has accomplished in the past, and I don't care that he is not what most of you term "a big name". As of today, he is the head coach of our Razorbacks, and whining on a message board is not going to reverse that. It's time to make our image better. Things are very different as far as the football program goes, but as of today, as far as basketball goes, I am no longer a frothing, hysterical fan. I am eager and welcoming.

Those of you who say I have my head in the sand, say what you will. It won't bother me much because I know that most of you wouldn't have been happy with anyone less than your short list of one or two names.

As of today, I support Dana Altman.

abraHAM_lincoln

I agree... he is the coach and he hasn't done anything like Nutt to embarrass the State or the Program...as of yet.  I think he is a notch above Coach heath at this point, and who knows what he can do when he doesn't have to recruit only 3.8 GPA guys and can go into inner cities for players.

Until he proves otherwise, he deserves the support. 

Hollywood_HOGan

count me in
i was not at first but I try not to be miserable. Lets try to look on the bright side.

The man hasnt coached a game yet and he hasnt lost a player yet.

jhudson84

Im in as well, BCG reminded me too much of HDN, kinda off.

iCalledThatHogBrotha!

Pigs_In_Zen

Yeah, he doesn't deserve to walk into all the negativity. He's got to be excited to be coming to Arkansas. It's the biggest job of his life.

There should be no doubt that he can coach Xs and Os. His resume shows that.

His ultimate success and longevity as our coach will rely simply on his ability to bring in talent. I think he will do well next year with talent on hand - if they all stay. He'd sure better hire some assistants that can recruit very well. They had better be able to hit Texas and the South. It wouldn't hurt to have someone with strong JUCO ties as well. We're going to need a few JUCO guys next year.
Nobody in the game of football should be called a genius. A genius is somebody like Norman Einstein. - Joe Thiesmann

hogfan30

I'm in.

Support a coach for once!  Novel idea in Arkansas.

TX HOG

He's our coach, he wants to be our coach.  Let's give him a chance to win before we ridicule him too much. 

Cosby

SEMO Hog

I think he will do a very good job.  He is a solid coach.  I'd much rather have him than some of the less than above-board names that have been mentioned.

kpete26220ark

I agree with alot of you that say we need to support Altman and i will do that but lets be realistic about what Broyles has done to the program.  He fired a guy that has only been a head coach for 6 years, he won 21 games last year, finished 2nd in the SEC tourney, made it to the big dance 2 years in a row, only made 800,000 a year and had every player coming back next year!! 
In return we get Dana Altman, who had a record of 22-11 and coached in the powerhouse Missouri Valley Conference, he has a lifetime record in 18 years of 343-208 (62%, 64% with creighton), by the way stan is 63% over last 3 years, and we are reportedly paying him 1.5 million?  But he can put fans in the stands you say?  Guys creighton does not even have a football team so BB is the top dog there!  Nothing else to do.  This is ridiculus to say the least and an embarrasment to the state of Arkansas.  Broyles should be fired immediately!!!   

horsehog

We gave Stan 5 Years, let's give our new coach a chance!!!!!! :razorback:

cityhog

Quote from: dakpowers on April 02, 2007, 10:52:17 am
Those of you who say I have my head in the sand, say what you will. It won't bother me much because I know that most of you wouldn't have been happy with anyone less than your short list of one or two names.

You are right. I wouldn't be happy unless we got one of those guys on the short list.  Want to know why?  Because we were promised a big name hire that would be "impressive" and "would not disappoint"

Sorry, but I am in a "prove me wrong" mode.  Until he proves me wrong this smacks of ANOTHER bad mid major hire.

runich

The guy seems like he is a real class act...not that Stan wasn't but I am excited to be getting a new coach in to see what transpires...he will have the players next year (hope no one transfers) so hopefully this guy can right the ship....I'm giving him my full support.

jnhogs

it is what it is.... we need to support him and our players, we need to give Beverly and others a reason to WANT to play here!

GO HOGS!!!!!!!!!!

Ye Stooges Three

I think this is a great hire.  I have enjoyed watching Creighton play in the NCAA's because I knew he was going to keep them in the game to the end, no matter who he played.

Welcome and good luck.

TheHogFan

I'm in. Good riddence to some of these "fans".

Pignominious

I support him.  Not my first, second, third, or fourth choice but I hope he brings us back to prominense.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

cityhog

Quote from: Ye Stooges Three on April 02, 2007, 11:27:20 am
I think this is a great hire.  I have enjoyed watching Creighton play in the NCAA's because I knew he was going to keep them in the game to the end, no matter who he played.

Welcome and good luck.

Didn't Creighton lose in the first round this year just like us?  So your enjoyment watching them in th tourney was very short lived.

WMHawgfan

Should Stan have been fired to hire Dana? No, but whats done is done. Give the guy some support and see what happens. If you want to be pissed at the administration for the way this was handled, fine they deserve that but Dana was offered the job and he took it, he wants to be here. So I will support him.

BartIV

Well, I guess i am in too. I called for stan Heaths to be fired and he was, so I need to live with it and accept whoever or whatever they bring in.

madjudge

I will give him the chance he deserves but with conditions.We must make the ncaa tournament next year and not just a 12 seed. He has just inheritated a ncaa tour team with all five starters coming back, it is his job to keep this team together and not have them leave that is his first test. If he scores an F on this then passing the final of making the tour next year will be almost impossible. We will be able to see his ability to recruit, if he can"t keep players here that have already commited to the UofA how will he be able to bring others.
I have only missed 7 games played in Fayetteville over the past 15 years. I will be in my seats next year and give him the chance but he must preform with these players and I hope he does.WPS

fullygruntled

I like him. Always have liked him. He's a class guy and a damn good coach, that most people here know very little about.

Go Dana. I'm with you.

UAfan

I'm in.  I'm gonna support him and the players no matter what.  He has a great team coming back and gopefully he'll prove he deserved the job.

jst01

4 years ago not one person on this message board could have told me who Billy Donovan or Gillispie were, now they are the top coaches on anyones coaching search.  Give Altman the chance to win with more talent than he has probably had in the last 10 years. 

tobs54

Put my name down as a supporter. Like a lot of you have said, he hasn't proven that he can't do the job.  And, until he does, I'll support him.

Bacon The Saddle Again

He'll have loads of talent his first year.  If he can get us 25 wins (very doable with the guys returning), recruiting will follow suit.

Sanctified Swine

Altman is a solid coach, no matter how you look at it. He is consistant, develops players well, and is big on fundamentals. He loves to use the three. Has a spectacular repoir with the community he is in. Creighton basketball has been selling out games for a long time now. So, he gets people in the seats. I read an article somewhere this year on his ability to get people to games.

The problem for most Hog fans with this hire is that Dana is not a "sexy" pick. We love "characters". Eddie and Nolan were a riot in themselves. Imposing, brooding, flamboyant types, who were as much a part of the story as the game itself. We love a little flash don't we? Thats the enamor with Anthony Grant, sharp good-looking, aggressive. While we have hated Calipari for years, a lot of got excited at the prospect...he is a little dangerous and we like that thrill. We like those slick. smooth tongued guys who have a flair. Helps with recruiting, I suppose. Tame, layed back guys don't seem to inspire us a whole lot. Lute Olson, John Wooden types would have died in Fayetteville

Dana has goody goody looks, and doesn't inspire danger. He won't rant and rave like Bruce Pearl and get the whole place wound up. He won't ever be the good imposing young looking black man or the slicked back smooth talking white guy. He will be Dana Altman, consistant, experienced, and respected. He coaches a good game. If the fans get behind him, recruits and players will see that and want to play here. If we don't, then they will see that to and go elsewhere.

Guys at this point, some of this is on us. We cannot change yesterday, but we can learn from it. I say we support this new era and get behind this proven coach and send a message to our recruits and players that Arkansas is goign to be great place to play basketball. You will have a good coach and great fans. By the way, I really believe that some coaches (not all- some guys will always be what they are)  can go from good to great when put in the right environment of support. Here to hoping that this is the place that we see Dana go from being a really good coach to a great coach.

I'm OUt

ArchitectHog

Although he is not my ideal choice, I will support our new coach untill he proves otherwise.
Games don't make people violent, lag does.
Quote from: KEYS on October 07, 2009, 10:45:57 am
The Hogs should play every HOME game in Little Rock just as soon as the campus is moved there... hence the meaning of "home."
Quote from: DEVICEHIGH on August 13, 2010, 08:47:52 am
We can no longer afford to play in Little Rock. The university is in Fayetteville.

W_KY_Hog

gkimrey

WELCOME TO COACH ALTMAN. LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOUR TEAM ON THE HARDWOOD. GLAD YOU'RE HERE.
\"if you would not be forgotten, before you are dead and rotten, either write things worth the reading or do things worth the writing\".  Benjamin Franklin

bwbcpa

Quote from: WMHawgfan on April 02, 2007, 11:34:46 am
Should Stan have been fired to hire Dana? No, but whats done is done. Give the guy some support and see what happens. If you want to be pissed at the administration for the way this was handled, fine they deserve that but Dana was offered the job and he took it, he wants to be here. So I will support him.

Agreed - let's see what happens.

HoopS

Present. 

Clean slate. 

Hungry fans.

A team full of potential. 

Get it done.

Good luck. 

little pigee

Quote from: Sanctified Swine on April 02, 2007, 11:50:04 am
Altman is a solid coach, no matter how you look at it. He is consistant, develops players well, and is big on fundamentals. He loves to use the three. Has a spectacular repoir with the community he is in. Creighton basketball has been selling out games for a long time now. So, he gets people in the seats. I read an article somewhere this year on his ability to get people to games.

The problem for most Hog fans with this hire is that Dana is not a "sexy" pick. We love "characters". Eddie and Nolan were a riot in themselves. Imposing, brooding, flamboyant types, who were as much a part of the story as the game itself. We love a little flash don't we? Thats the enamor with Anthony Grant, sharp good-looking, aggressive. While we have hated Calipari for years, a lot of got excited at the prospect...he is a little dangerous and we like that thrill. We like those slick. smooth tongued guys who have a flair. Helps with recruiting, I suppose. Tame, layed back guys don't seem to inspire us a whole lot. Lute Olson, John Wooden types would have died in Fayetteville

Dana has goody goody looks, and doesn't inspire danger. He won't rant and rave like Bruce Pearl and get the whole place wound up. He won't ever be the good imposing young looking black man or the slicked back smooth talking white guy. He will be Dana Altman, consistant, experienced, and respected. He coaches a good game. If the fans get behind him, recruits and players will see that and want to play here. If we don't, then they will see that to and go elsewhere.

Guys at this point, some of this is on us. We cannot change yesterday, but we can learn from it. I say we support this new era and get behind this proven coach and send a message to our recruits and players that Arkansas is goign to be great place to play basketball. You will have a good coach and great fans. By the way, I really believe that some coaches (not all- some guys will always be what they are)  can go from good to great when put in the right environment of support. Here to hoping that this is the place that we see Dana go from being a really good coach to a great coach.

I'm OUt
Number one post of the day!!
It's not about the money...it's about the amount of money.

Table Rocker

Guys i know some of you are mad b/c we didn't get one of the bigger names that had been mentioned. It didn't happen, and I don't think Dana Altman is a that bad of a consolation prize. I still think he's a big step up from Heath. When I woke up this morning and read he was going to hired I was pretty upset/letdown, then when I chilled out and began reading about him I think we may have made a pretty good choice. If you read the Creighton board they are devastated. The man hasn't even been announced yet and some of you are calling for his head, saying you're done supporting the Hogs and that's your right, but I for one am going to give this man a chance and will root for the Hogs as I always have. Good luck Coach Altman and I hope you can bring this program back to the promised land, you have my support and wish you the best of luck here. Welcome to Arkansas, here's your Hog hat.

cal34

Count me in, hes gotta be alot better than what we had.

BIGHOGFAN05

I AM WILLING TO GIVE HIM A CHANCE, AS LONG AS HE SHOWS EXCITEMENT LIKE HE WANTS THE JOB.

ark30inf

Ditto.  We might have some good times with this guy.  We might not, but we do not know.  Right now, zero losses.  He deserves a real Razorback shot with full fan support and a real full BWA. 

If we don't support him, and if the place is empty......its not going to be successful even if he is successful in his part.

Rooka

:razorback:  :razorback: I too support Dand Altman. WPS!  :razorback:  :razorback:

Ironhawg

Quote from: Table Rocker on April 02, 2007, 12:59:48 pm
Guys i know some of you are mad b/c we didn't get one of the bigger names that had been mentioned. It didn't happen, and I don't think Dana Altman is a that bad of a consolation prize. I still think he's a big step up from Heath. When I woke up this morning and read he was going to hired I was pretty upset/letdown, then when I chilled out and began reading about him I think we may have made a pretty good choice. If you read the Creighton board they are devastated. The man hasn't even been announced yet and some of you are calling for his head, saying you're done supporting the Hogs and that's your right, but I for one am going to give this man a chance and will root for the Hogs as I always have. Good luck Coach Altman and I hope you can bring this program back to the promised land, you have my support and wish you the best of luck here. Welcome to Arkansas, here's your Hog hat.

We shall see.  I would be lying if I said this was a "bombshell" hire to me.  He seems like a solid coach who is a good guy. 

ICEman

Not exactly the kind of hire that will generate instant season ticket sales.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Pioneer Fan

I'm in!!!

Hell, everyone deserves at least a shot.
I have an inferiority complex, but not a good one.

wooo

If we had BCG, he would be "flirting for money" next year like HDN was doing

hereigo

12yrs at Creighton he won only 65% of his games, and was 2-7 in the NCAA TOURNY!!!!  What hire a dumb@$$ Frank Broyles!

Porkem

Dana..welcome to our dysfunctional Razorback family.  C'mon on over here and give me a hug.  Now go give Patrick Beverly a hug too...and win us some freakin' basketball games.
"Due to current economic conditions, Porkem has decided to file for moral bankruptcy."

Hollywood_HOGan

not a wow hire but a solid hire that may end up working out.

Killean

To me the fact that he made the NCAA tourney 7 times at CREIGHTON tells me that he can do wonders here at Arkansas.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.