Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Memphis Commercial Appeal Article

Started by metalsmythe, April 01, 2007, 03:45:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

metalsmythe

I know the Sportsline article was posted but this has some dollar figure amounts to show you would have had to offer a lot more $2mil a year to get Cal. Now back to your search and thanks for the entertainment over the past 24 hours. Good luck.
Calipari says he's not interested in Arkansas job
Story Tools
E-mail this story | Print
By Dan Wolken
April 1, 2007
ATLANTA – University of Memphis coach John Calipari told The Commercial Appeal Sunday he was "never" offered the head coaching job at Arkansas and is not interested in the position.
Though Calipari did meet briefly with Arkansas athletic director Frank Broyles this weekend, Calipari said, it was only to discuss potential candidates and offer advice on the coaching search.

"I've had a relationship with Frank Broyles going back to my UMass days," Calipari said inside the lobby of the Atlanta Hilton, where the National Association of Basketball Coaches were wrapping up their meetings.
Calipari said he was not aware of the rumors that he was interested in the Arkansas job until he began receiving phone calls Saturday night.

By then, word had leaked out that Memphis athletic director R.C. Johnson had granted Arkansas permission to speak to Calipari. Then, a Little Rock television station, citing unnamed sources, reported that an offer was on the table to Calipari for more than $2 million annually.

"Not true," Calipari said.

From the moment the Arkansas rumors began to circulate, several close to Calipari expressed doubt that he would seriously consider leaving Memphis for Fayetteville.

Among the reasons were its rural location and the fact that Calipari would be leaving behind what should be his best team since coming to Memphis. The Tigers are expected to return all their top players, except senior Jeremy Hunt, and will add a recruiting class ranked 11th by Rivals.com. With the addition of the nation's top high school point guard, Derrick Rose, Memphis should be ranked in the top-five of all preseason polls.

If Calipari left for any job, he'd also be walking away from a $2.5 million annuity he will collect if he coaches at Memphis through 2009-10. In other words, any job offer would have to guarantee an $833,000 raise over Calipari's salary at Memphis over the next three seasons just to make the money match up. Calipari made $1.6 million this past season, excluding performance bonuses.
After Memphis was eliminated from the NCAA Tournament in the Elite Eight last Saturday, Calipari said he wasn't interested in any other coaching jobs and that he'd have the kind of team "you just don't leave" unless the school's commitment to the program changed.

Two days later, Calipari agreed in principle to a raise and one-year contract extension through 2011-12. Johnson said he would not reveal the amount of the raise until the extension is signed. Calipari has not signed the extension yet because he's been in Massachusetts and Atlanta this week.

Asked if he was finished renegotiating his contract, Calipari said: "Yeah. That was done, what, two weeks ago?"
— Dan Wolken: 529-2365

milehipig

No sir, thank you for allowing us mid-majors to to think we ever had a chance for a superstar .   :puke:

metalsmythe

Quote from: milehipig on April 01, 2007, 03:49:00 pm
No sir, thank you for allowing us mid-majors to to think we ever had a chance for a superstar .   :puke:

I do what I can.

CalRejectsHogs

The article clears up a lot of myths floating around on this board:

1) Calipari offered the Boss Hog job

2) Calipari is interested in the job

3) Calipari talked to Broyles about the job ("it was only to discuss potential candidates and offer advice on the coaching search.")

4) Calipari was offered $2 million

Where do you folks get your information????

ThunderHog

Well, there goes the NWA quality of life attraction..."among the reasons were its rual location"

RazorNick

Quote from: metalsmythe on April 01, 2007, 03:45:25 pm
I know the Sportsline article was posted but this has some dollar figure amounts to show you would have had to offer a lot more $2mil a year to get Cal. Now back to your search and thanks for the entertainment over the past 24 hours. Good luck.
Story Tools
By Dan Wolken
April 1, 2007
ATLANTA – University of Memphis coach John Calipari told The Commercial Appeal Sunday he was "never" offered the head coaching job at Arkansas and is not interested in the position.
Though Calipari did meet briefly with Arkansas athletic director Frank Broyles this weekend, Calipari said, it was only to discuss potential candidates and offer advice on the coaching search.

"I’ve had a relationship with Frank Broyles going back to my UMass days," Calipari said inside the lobby of the Atlanta Hilton, where the National Association of Basketball Coaches were wrapping up their meetings.
Calipari said he was not aware of the rumors that he was interested in the Arkansas job until he began receiving phone calls Saturday night.

By then, word had leaked out that Memphis athletic director R.C. Johnson had granted Arkansas permission to speak to Calipari. Then, a Little Rock television station, citing unnamed sources, reported that an offer was on the table to Calipari for more than $2 million annually.

From the moment the Arkansas rumors began to circulate, several close to Calipari expressed doubt that he would seriously consider leaving Memphis for Fayetteville.

Among the reasons were its rural location and the fact that Calipari would be leaving behind what should be his best team since coming to Memphis. The Tigers are expected to return all their top players, except senior Jeremy Hunt, and will add a recruiting class ranked 11th by Rivals.com. With the addition of the nation’s top high school point guard, Derrick Rose, Memphis should be ranked in the top-five of all preseason polls.

If Calipari left for any job, he’d also be walking away from a $2.5 million annuity he will collect if he coaches at Memphis through 2009-10. In other words, any job offer would have to guarantee an $833,000 raise over Calipari’s salary at Memphis over the next three seasons just to make the money match up. Calipari made $1.6 million this past season, excluding performance bonuses.
After Memphis was eliminated from the NCAA Tournament in the Elite Eight last Saturday, Calipari said he wasn’t interested in any other coaching jobs and that he’d have the kind of team "you just don’t leave" unless the school’s commitment to the program changed.

Two days later, Calipari agreed in principle to a raise and one-year contract extension through 2011-12. Johnson said he would not reveal the amount of the raise until the extension is signed. Calipari has not signed the extension yet because he’s been in Massachusetts and Atlanta this week.

Asked if he was finished renegotiating his contract, Calipari said: "Yeah. That was done, what, two weeks ago?"

Entertainment my arse, man up and admit you were squirming all night.

UofMemphis

no...Cal to Arky is just plain funny.

there was NEVER even a chance.

it's just fun to hear you guys love on Cal...then when he says no, hate on him.

you guys want him...but you can't have him.

tuff luck.
memphistigers.org <--- memphis message board.

Table Rocker

Quote from: UofMemphis on April 01, 2007, 04:08:35 pm
no...Cal to Arky is just plain funny.

there was NEVER even a chance.

it's just fun to hear you guys love on Cal...then when he says no, hate on him.

you guys want him...but you can't have him.

tuff luck.

and you still have to live in memphis, TOUGH luck

metalsmythe

Quote from: Hog-fan-in-mizzou on April 01, 2007, 03:55:39 pm
Story Tools
By Dan Wolken
April 1, 2007

"I've had a relationship with Frank Broyles going back to my UMass days," Calipari said inside the lobby of the Atlanta Hilton, where the National Association of Basketball Coaches were wrapping up their meetings.

Among the reasons were its rural location and the fact that Calipari would be leaving behind what should be his best team since coming to Memphis. The Tigers are expected to return all their top players, except senior Jeremy Hunt, and will add a recruiting class ranked 11th by Rivals.com. With the addition of the nation's top high school point guard, Derrick Rose, Memphis should be ranked in the top-five of all preseason polls.

If Calipari left for any job, he'd also be walking away from a $2.5 million annuity he will collect if he coaches at Memphis through 2009-10. In other words, any job offer would have to guarantee an $833,000 raise over Calipari's salary at Memphis over the next three seasons just to make the money match up. Calipari made $1.6 million this past season, excluding performance bonuses.
After Memphis was eliminated from the NCAA Tournament in the Elite Eight last Saturday, Calipari said he wasn't interested in any other coaching jobs and that he'd have the kind of team "you just don't leave" unless the school's commitment to the program changed.

Two days later, Calipari agreed in principle to a raise and one-year contract extension through 2011-12. Johnson said he would not reveal the amount of the raise until the extension is signed. Calipari has not signed the extension yet because he's been in Massachusetts and Atlanta this week.

You are right, I didn't sleep a wink. I have such a dull life that Arkansas internet message board rumors do that to me. If it were anyone but Arkansas, it would have bothered me a little. Info coming from one of the most delusional fan bases in America outside of maybe Ole Piss and Illinois doesn't normally do much to get the juices flowing.

RazorNick

Quote from: metalsmythe on April 01, 2007, 04:10:34 pm
Story Tools
By Dan Wolken
April 1, 2007

"I’ve had a relationship with Frank Broyles going back to my UMass days," Calipari said inside the lobby of the Atlanta Hilton, where the National Association of Basketball Coaches were wrapping up their meetings.

Among the reasons were its rural location and the fact that Calipari would be leaving behind what should be his best team since coming to Memphis. The Tigers are expected to return all their top players, except senior Jeremy Hunt, and will add a recruiting class ranked 11th by Rivals.com. With the addition of the nation’s top high school point guard, Derrick Rose, Memphis should be ranked in the top-five of all preseason polls.

If Calipari left for any job, he’d also be walking away from a $2.5 million annuity he will collect if he coaches at Memphis through 2009-10. In other words, any job offer would have to guarantee an $833,000 raise over Calipari’s salary at Memphis over the next three seasons just to make the money match up. Calipari made $1.6 million this past season, excluding performance bonuses.
After Memphis was eliminated from the NCAA Tournament in the Elite Eight last Saturday, Calipari said he wasn’t interested in any other coaching jobs and that he’d have the kind of team "you just don’t leave" unless the school’s commitment to the program changed.

Two days later, Calipari agreed in principle to a raise and one-year contract extension through 2011-12. Johnson said he would not reveal the amount of the raise until the extension is signed. Calipari has not signed the extension yet because he’s been in Massachusetts and Atlanta this week.

You are right, I didn't sleep a wink. I have such a dull life that Arkansas internet message board rumors do that to me. If it were anyone but Arkansas, it would have bothered me a little. Info coming from one of the most delusional fan bases in America outside of maybe Ole Piss and Illinois doesn't normally do much to get the juices flowing.

How are the juices in Orange Mound?

metalsmythe

Quote from: Hog-fan-in-mizzou on April 01, 2007, 04:12:10 pm
Story Tools
By Dan Wolken
April 1, 2007

How are the juices in Orange Mound?

Just call it Memfrica or some other racially motivated term, you know that is what you really want to do. Surprised the "N" word hasn't slipped from one of you backwoods bubbafied jackwads yet.

UofMemphis

LOL, orange mound...

try Chickasaw Gardens, maybe Galloway Gardens, Germantown, the South Bluffs, Harbor Town...

downtown Memphis: oh, the horror

Table Rocker

Quote from: UofMemphis on April 01, 2007, 04:18:01 pm
LOL, orange mound...

try Chickasaw Gardens, maybe Galloway Gardens, Germantown, the South Bluffs, Harbor Town...

i think i can hear the gunshots and police sirens just looking at that picture

CalRejectsHogs

Thanks for welcoming me to Wal-Mart.  And yes, I'll need that shopping cart.  Thanks.  And also, I'll need that smiley sticker to put on the plastic bag so I could return the Hog Hat a Pig Fan bought here for Cal to wear when he was to announce he was going to be the next Boss Hog.

MemTiger

I hate Cal. No I Like Cal. In fact I think I LOVE Cal. No, I HATE Cal.
LOL

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA LMAO. HAHAHAHAHA

An you REALLY thought he would leave a TOP 5  Team to go WHERE ? ..

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHA. You guys are good entertainment, I'll say that.

missjtiger

don't mess up the little hog dreams that all of Memphis is the ghetto.....you know...Ark. has no crime ...even their "big" cities are crime-free ! delusional ...man...are ya'll for real ?

UofMemphis

yes, between the half million dollar condos are armed gunmen with AK's

now back to the double-wide with you!

Table Rocker

Quote from: missjtiger on April 01, 2007, 04:21:02 pm
don't mess up the little hog dreams that all of Memphis is the ghetto.....you know...Ark. has no crime ...even their "big" cities are crime-free ! delusional ...man...are ya'll for real ?

i live in dallas and would walk anywhere in the city at 2am and feel safer than in memphis at noon on a sunday, and dallas is 10 times of memphis.

RazorNick

Quote from: Table Rocker on April 01, 2007, 04:18:56 pm
Quote from: UofMemphis on April 01, 2007, 04:18:01 pm
LOL, orange mound...

i think i can hear the gunshots and police sirens just looking at that picture

They have green grass, must be safe. I'm convinced.

missjtiger

Quote from: Table Rocker on April 01, 2007, 04:22:34 pm

i live in dallas and would walk anywhere in the city at 2am and feel safer than in memphis at noon on a sunday, and dallas is 10 times of memphis.

you obviously haven't been in the same parts of Dallas that I have...2am ? no way !! Why in the hell does everyone hate on Memphis ? Every freakin big city has it's share of crime and bad sections. Get over it......you stay where you love to live and we will continue to love Memphis, deal ?

UofMemphis

oh look, a pic of Fayetteville...go past the hills and you're in Oklahoma.

RazorNick

Quote from: missjtiger on April 01, 2007, 04:26:49 pm

you obviously haven't been in the same parts of Dallas that I have...2am ? no way !! Why in the hell does everyone hate on Memphis ? Every freakin big city has it's share of crime and bad sections. Get over it......you stay where you love to live and we will continue to love Memphis, deal ?

And you are innocent of stereotyping?

MemTiger

Quote from: UofMemphis on April 01, 2007, 04:21:17 pm
yes, between the half million dollar condos are armed gunmen with AK's

now back to the double-wide with you!

But I heard the Arkie Governor lived in a  TRIPLE Wide !!!!!!  You go boys !

Table Rocker

Quote from: CalRejectsHogs on April 01, 2007, 04:28:46 pm

hey dippy, people on this board made those. you're not very bright are you?

UofMemphis

Quote from: Table Rocker on April 01, 2007, 04:30:01 pm

so you can't even stand your own coach!

must SUCK to be a pig!

Table Rocker

Quote from: UofMemphis on April 01, 2007, 04:30:45 pm

must SUCK to be a pig!

no, we can't, and as mediocre as we are we'd still beat the hell out of your D1AA POS football team.

CalRejectsHogs

hey dippy doo, you guys aren't too bright for making them so rival fans can plaster it in your face!

Table Rocker

Quote from: CalRejectsHogs on April 01, 2007, 04:31:51 pm

hey dippy doo, you guys aren't too bright for making them so rival fans can plaster it in your face!

we expect more than mediocrity, that's why we want him out

RazorNick

This is a better picture of Memphis.

UofMemphis

Quote from: Table Rocker on April 01, 2007, 04:31:36 pm
Quote from: UofMemphis on April 01, 2007, 04:30:45 pm

must SUCK to be a pig!

no, we can't, and as mediocre as we are we'd still beat the hell out of your D1AA POS football team.
uh...we beat Hawg High 3 straight times and lead the series.

UPigg is a JOKE!

missjtiger

Quote from: Hog-fan-in-mizzou on April 01, 2007, 04:28:22 pm

stereotyping ? because Dallas has some unsafe areas to be in at 2am ? I feel 100% safe in saying ALL big cities have areas like that...how is that stereotyping ? please explain ?

UofMemphis

Quote from: Hog-fan-in-mizzou on April 01, 2007, 04:32:54 pm
This is a better picture of Memphis.

those were the projects off of Danny Thomas...they were torn down 2 years ago and a Condo village went up in it's place.

downtown is expensive to live in now.

Table Rocker

i've officially heard it all, a memphis st. football fan talking smack.

Table Rocker

you know memphis sucks when they have fans on our board defending their city, get a life.

RazorNick

Quotethose were the projects off of Danny Thomas...they were torn down 2 years ago and a Condo village went up in it's place.

downtown is expensive to live in now

You mean people actually PAY to live there?   ???

HairyHog

I lived in Memphis.  I lived in Austin. Both places SUCK. So, now I live in Arkansas.

Table Rocker

Quote from: Hog-fan-in-mizzou on April 01, 2007, 04:38:12 pm
Quotethose were the projects off of Danny Thomas...they were torn down 2 years ago and a Condo village went up in it's place.

they throw in a bullet proof vest when you sign the lease

mrchog

Cosby

Quote from: missjtiger on April 01, 2007, 04:34:15 pm

stereotyping ? because Dallas has some unsafe areas to be in at 2am ? I feel 100% safe in saying ALL big cities have areas like that...how is that stereotyping ? please explain ?

I stayed in the Marriot in Memphis the night after the Miss St. Ark football game this year. At like 1 am something was getting out of that convention center, and 17 cop cars..i know cause I counted.. rolled up with lights flashing. Hundreds of People starting taking off running down the street and the Police were on their loud speakers saying "Stay away from the Hotel".

Yeah, I felt real safe.

RazorNick

Quote from: Table Rocker on April 01, 2007, 04:39:14 pm

You mean people actually PAY to live there?   ???

I wonder if there is a buy out clause in said lease?

Table Rocker

Quote from: UofMemphis on April 01, 2007, 04:40:43 pm

do you even have to sign a lease for a double-wide?

i hear you Gov has a triple-wide...he's movin' on UP!

you've already used that one. i'm done with this, you guys kept your coach, congrats, we're moving on, you should do the same. stay strong!

RazorNick

Careful, I must tell you I am very familiar with Memphis, and there are  far more trailer parks there.

U.P. HOGG

Quote from: UofMemphis on April 01, 2007, 04:42:03 pm
Quote from: Cosby on April 01, 2007, 04:39:49 pm

I stayed in the Marriot in Memphis the night after the Miss St. Ark football game this year. At like 1 am something was getting out of that convention center, and 17 cop cars..i know cause I counted.. rolled up with lights flashing. Hundreds of People starting taking off running down the street and the Police were on their loud speakers saying "Stay away from the Hotel".

Yeah, I felt real safe.
sure you did!

now back to the trailer with you!

Do you know why "The First 48" records in Memphis?  Because of all the thugs, murders, and idiots that run around with guns in Memphis.  Everytime this show is on, it usally has a great story about Memphis and the quality of life there. 

RazorNick

U.P. HOGG

Quote from: UofMemphis on April 01, 2007, 04:45:09 pm
Quote from: Hog-fan-in-mizzou on April 01, 2007, 04:42:40 pm

Careful, I must tell you I am very familiar with Memphis, and there are  far more trailer parks there.
BULL ****ING crap!

there are maybe 5 trailer parks in Memphis...your whole state is a trailer park.

I'm also enjoying your ignorance.  Its quite entertaining. Stay around as long as you like, for the more that comes out of you mouth, the funnier it gets. 

U.P. HOGG

Quote from: UofMemphis on April 01, 2007, 04:46:26 pm
Quote from: U.P.  HOGG on April 01, 2007, 04:45:29 pm
Quote from: UofMemphis on April 01, 2007, 04:42:03 pm
Quote from: Cosby on April 01, 2007, 04:39:49 pm

Yeah, I felt real safe.
sure you did!

now back to the trailer with you!

Do you know why "The First 48" records in Memphis?  Because of all the thugs, murders, and idiots that run around with guns in Memphis.  Everytime this show is on, it usally has a great story about Memphis and the quality of life there. 
LOL, the first 48 is here because we have a 98.2% close rate...we catch the bad guys.

Again, there is always a murder going on in Memphis. Please stop trying to defend that dump yard.  Its laughable.

RazorNick

Quote from: UofMemphis on April 01, 2007, 04:47:03 pm
Quote from: Hog-fan-in-mizzou on April 01, 2007, 04:45:53 pm
Sweet home Mempho

is that your GOV on the little boat...yeah, IT IS!

Sorry to disappoint you, but that picture really was taken in Mempho, deal with it....now off to find the other 4......lol

Ray Piggers

Story Tools
By Dan Wolken
April 1, 2007

If you weren't concerned about the "Arkansas internet message board" rumors.... Why would you be on here?
I'm basically Darkwing Duck

RazorNick

Quote from: UofMemphis on April 01, 2007, 04:51:40 pm
the Capital of the great state of Arkansas!

I swear guys, this picture was definately taken in Memphro, just off of Lamar Ave.