Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Per ESPN Cal isnt coming

Started by TorsinAHog, April 01, 2007, 10:18:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

discombobulationist

The Fox article is written more like a blog than a traditional news story. Is Fox 16 out of LR? And how credible are they?
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 05, 2014, 02:17:08 pm
ISIS could be overrunning your city and Rick would talk about how nice it is to have new neighbors.

playboy

I don't really put much stock in any of these reports.  For some reason, Andy Katz seems to be emotionally attached to Stan Heath and will put everything in a negative light for us.

ark30inf

Quote from: 3kgthog on April 01, 2007, 10:43:31 am
LMAO Frank got played again.

I doubt he got played for more money.....but it might be part of a continued campaign to make Arkansas look unappealing to Memphis recruits.

Calipari dropped UA from the schedule to avoid us getting media exposure there and beating them.  He tossed in some negative to spread the idea that UA was not worthy.  Having us ask, and him turn us down, might be a message to Memphis recruits...."hey, I turned them down you should too".  Not unusual, UA does the same sort of thing with in-state programs.

It's also possible that his interest is sincere.  We will see soon enough.  In any event, it won't be worth getting bent out of shape over.  I would suggest not melting down in Calipari does not come.  There are other coaches besides him.

HawgAlude

Quote from: discombobulationist on April 01, 2007, 10:44:44 am
The Fox article is written more like a blog than a traditional news story. Is Fox 16 out of LR? And how credible are they?

It evolved from a mispelled article blog to an actual news report. They broke the news first then other stations picked it up. I wish it named their source but it has to be someone close to the program. Credible???? -- Fox News did report that the next president of the united states was george bush before any other news oultet in 2000 -- is that credible????

rbarber46

after the screw up with BG, if this gets screwed up too, then maybe we deserve Dana or karen or whatever his name is from Creighton
" Coach Lee's offense is more broken down all the way where everything is right, " Crawford said. " Everything is for everybody. Coach Lee's offense is more advanced than the offense we had last year was. A lot more advanced. Coach Lee, he knows his stuff. "

J.A.Y.

If he really is using Sexton, then Cal is our new coach.

Sexton will make it happen.
There are Three things in life that matter... GOD, Family and the Arkansas Razorbacks.

The rest you can deal with if you have any time left over.

SexyBeast77

TorsinAHog is just another retard that wants to be the first one to break the news. Too bad he posted an article
already posted 10 times.

BRizzleDizzle

HawgAlude

Sexton is JCs agent check this out
I think I'll show your post to John's agent, Jimmy Sexton, and you'll likely be hearing from his atty in the very near future. Good luck. 
post number 3

http://www.spartantailgate.com/forums/showthread.php?t=242823

-- sexton is the deal maker with strong ties to broyles and calipari -- Make it happen DEAL MAKER!!!@!

woooooopig

Quote from: HawgAlude on April 01, 2007, 10:47:30 am

It evolved from a mispelled article blog to an actual news report. They broke the news first then other stations picked it up. I wish it named their source but it has to be someone close to the program. Credible???? -- Fox News did report that the next president of the united states was george bush before any other news oultet in 2000 -- is that credible????
Fox 16 out of Little Rock has only been up and running for a couple of years. The newscast is absolutely horrific. I wouldn't put much stock in what they say.

PigWig

Posted. Why don't you check before you start a new thread.

jimmur74

April 01, 2007, 11:15:09 am #61 Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 11:16:56 am by jimmur74
I m traveling to Nashville tn and just heard this quoted on Espn Radio sports update. This is verbatim..

"Memphis coach John Calipari just signed a contract extension this past week with the Memphis Tigers but yesterday Memphis officials gave Arkansas Atheltic director Frank Broyles permission to speak to Calipari about its Job Vacancy. Reports say Calipari though is not interested and will remain in Memphis"

milehipig

Quote from: jimmur74 on April 01, 2007, 11:15:09 am
I m traveling to Nashville tn and just heard this quoted on Espn Radio sports update. This is verbatim..

"Memphis coach John Calipari just signed a contract extension this past week with the Memphis Tigers but yesterday Memphis officials gave Arkansas Atheltic director Frank Broyles permission to speak to Calipari about its Job Vacancy. Reports say Calipari though is not interested and will stay in Memphis"
All based on that damn Comm Appeal article from
hours ago... LAME!

Razorbacking02

Quote from: WilsonHog on April 01, 2007, 10:21:47 am
A university doesn't prepare a package of $2.5 million to a coach if there is "nothing there."

If there is "nothing there," the university's advances are rebuffed much earlier in the process than that.

I agree totally. This may be another BG situtation but to say "there is nothing there" is a lie, since if there was nothing there, an offer wouldn't have been made. I'm not saying that JC will come to Arkansas, nor am I saying he isn't using this as a way to get another raise (two in one offseason must be a pretty sweet gig), but there is at the very least at least some smoke with this fire.

TANEYTOWN

Any news is he coming? Man I want to win again so bad!!!!!!!!!!!!1

RumRunner

stated by Calipari to Commercial Appeal (per ESPN on move to Arkansas).

bulldog04

Quote from: milehipig on April 01, 2007, 11:17:04 am
Quote from: jimmur74 on April 01, 2007, 11:15:09 am

"Memphis coach John Calipari just signed a contract extension this past week with the Memphis Tigers but yesterday Memphis officials gave Arkansas Atheltic director Frank Broyles permission to speak to Calipari about its Job Vacancy. Reports say Calipari though is not interested and will stay in Memphis"
All based on that damn Comm Appeal article from
hours ago... LAME!
Yep, Sportscenter just quoted the same article.

Table Rocker

yeah i read that on the other two threads that are about three down from this one.

HawgAlude

yeah espn picked up the commercial appeal article -- what do you expect them to say when they do not know -- yeah thats it JC has gone and signed with arkansas oh well. Sexton is Calipari's agent- he has an awesome relationship with broyles and arkansas he does not want to damage that and would not present us cali unless he was really really interested. I do not think sexton would allow anything to damage his profitable relationship with the UoA. He is out of memphis. He is a deal maker and has a high profile to maintain. He gets 3-5 percent of that 2+ mil so this is not your run of the mill BS>...

spoton

They misquoted a Commercial-Appeal article that said "a source close to Calipari stated" etc. Calipari hasn't said anything.

KinkosHog

ESPN has screwed up plenty of facts on this one.

They keep saying he signed the extension, which is just not true.

Katz has it out for Arkansas.

He can go play in traffic for all I care.  He is just a little piece of darn.

imtad16

Quote from: sluhog on April 01, 2007, 10:33:00 am
Quote from: lrar1974 on April 01, 2007, 10:29:08 am
Quote from: AstroHawg on April 01, 2007, 10:25:11 am
ESPN sure took liberties if that article is their source.  They say two different things.
Ding Ding Ding... That's what I'm saying. I don't know if he is even thinking about coming here, but the ESPN blurb is different from the original article.

Uhh... no, re-read the bits...

QuoteBut a source close to Calipari told The Commercial Appeal on Saturday night that he was not interested in the job and that there was "nothing there." 

QuoteBut Calpari told The Commercial Appeal of Memphis, Tenn., that he wasn't interested in the job and that there was "nothing there."

ESPN misread the article.  There was only one article on this subject, and ESPN is just misquoting it.
Why would the commercial appeal tell ESPN something it didn't print?

I'm pretty sure thats what irar was saying too.

PiggyBack

Quote from: woooooopig on April 01, 2007, 11:11:34 am

Fox 16 out of Little Rock has only been up and running for a couple of years. The newscast is absolutely horrific. I wouldn't put much stock in what they say.

Judging by your post count, you have only been "up and running" for a couple of weeks.  Should we put a lot of stock in what YOU say?
Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

Ironhawg

April 01, 2007, 11:56:41 am #73 Last Edit: April 01, 2007, 12:09:32 pm by Ironhawg
Quote from: WilsonHog on April 01, 2007, 10:24:24 am
Quote from: TorsinAHog on April 01, 2007, 10:22:13 am
Quote from: lrar1974 on April 01, 2007, 10:21:03 am
A source was qouted as saying, "nothing is there". John Calipari didn't not comment on the situation.

Good grief you people are in serious denial.  I'm sure this will be just like the BG situation all over again........

Let me ask you this.

What is the f.ucking alternative at this point?

Because if Calipari isn't coming, our basketball program is sh*t. Period.

If Dana Altman is Frank's big hire, we are screwed.  Sure he is experienced, but what has the guy won?  How many times have his teams been to the Sweet 16?  Elite 8?  Final 4?  How many conference championships did he win at K-State?  Why don't we ask them if they want him back?  IMO hiring Dana Altman is tantamount to euthanizing the program.  His style of play doesn't exactly inspire excitement, with his teams scoring in the 50s and 60s.  He'll win most he should and very few against the big boys.  How is that better off than where we were with Stan?  Frank's ineptness has painted us into a corner that we'll play heck getting out of. 
IMHO we need to roll the dice on Anthony Grant.  Maybe he succeeds, maybe he doesn't, but I'll bet his teams are exciting to watch and will draw crowds. 

Mason

Quote from: spoton on April 01, 2007, 11:20:53 am
They misquoted a Commercial-Appeal article that said "a source close to Calipari stated" etc. Calipari hasn't said anything.

ESPN has edited the article now so it matches what the Memphis CA said about it coming from a "source close to", and not directly from JC.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2820676

updated at 12:58 E.T.
There are three kinds of men: The ones that learn by reading.  The few who learn by observation.  The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence and find out for themselves.----Will Rogers

PiggyBack

The whole point of firing Stan was to get an upgrade.
We owe Stan a HUGE apology if all we can muster is Altman/Grant or the like....
Huggers react to facts and reason the way Linda Blair reacts to holy water.

http://allythigpen.com/woo2.swf

TANEYTOWN

jmark

I feel like being investigated on CSI or something. 
Did you get BG?  No
Did you get Calipari?   NO?
What have you been doing since last Sunday?  Nothing Sir.

When Stan was released, I thought we had to have a good hire.  Our Razorback Name has taken a terrible hit since December.  Our program is exploading from within.

Somehow I'm glad time has pasted.  We still have no big name bb coach, but at least my spirits are better.  My short term cure has been the Hogville Forums.  Humor in light of our collapse, has relieved my anxiety.  The DeviceHigh videos, KNWA airing the Stan, Nolan, and Eddie video have convinced me I am not alone in my dispare over the Hogs.  The Bob Caudle editorial today is proof there are people of influence that have come to my rescue. 

If the bid name bb coaches don't what a couple million a year to come here, what can you do?  You can't stuff the money in their pocket and twist their arm.  (You could mine) 

But now I am for mending fences.  Here is my quick fix.

1.  Hire Mike Anderson.  (Don't hate me, just my opinion)  Not to bring Nolan back or whatever, (although the 1995 NC team has never been brought back to be honored) but for Frank to be the JFK leader he was been and I think can still be capable of being.  "Ask not what your "team" can do for you, but what you can do for your "team".  Frank is a living legend, there is now denying that.  Lately he has taking a hit on his abilities and judgement.  With hiring Mike Anderson, Frank can show that he can "right his wrongs".  It was not right for Frank to put in Nolan's personal file he was "underachieving expectations" his first 2 years when his daughter was ill.  I feel (my no source opinion) that was 1 underlying reason Nolan and Frank don't get along.  I really don't think Mike Anderson was involved in any of this.  I can't remember reading any articles that named Mike in a bad light.  Mike is capable and his 40MOH sells tickets. 

2.  Fire Houston.  I can't say it any more clearly.  I can't give you any more reasons then you already know.  The risk of continued decline of the football program has become paramount and needs to be addressed with Houston's removal immediately.

3.  You all know who I want as football HC and as OC and as our QB.

Some may say this will never happen, maybe next year, or jmark your an idiot. 
I would agree jmark, your an idiot. 

40/29 News Confirms Houston Nutt Will Not Return In 2008
POSTED: 3:49 pm CST November 16, 2007

HamShank

Quote from: PiggyBack on April 01, 2007, 11:55:48 am
Quote from: woooooopig on April 01, 2007, 11:11:34 am

Judging by your post count, you have only been "up and running" for a couple of weeks.  Should we put a lot of stock in what YOU say?

I never understand this argument.  Because someone is new to Hogville they can't have any knowledge?

HoopS

I saw it on Espnews.  They mentioned Calipari and reports that he had been offered and someone close to Cal said there was nothing to it....... and the Espn guy said that "i'd keep an eye on that".   Something to that effect.