Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Hogs 'Blitzing' Calapari?

Started by MartHog, March 31, 2007, 03:01:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Houston h

It's not a rumor but how interested he is another matter.  I spoke to a friend of mine that is in the Memphis media here last night at the Cardinals game and he told me straight up that the UofA is "after" Cal.  He said that his buddy from CBSsportsline, Gary Parrish called him and told him about it and that Broyles had supposedly ask for permission to talk to him.
Cal is happy here but money talks and he will listen!
As far as running a dirty program, that's ridiculous! 

ishankem

these are all baseless rumors. Don't get your hopes up. Cal aint coming. Frank would have to wash his hands for an hour just to get the grease off after shaking hands with this guy

BigDeal

Quote from: MTPAWR on March 31, 2007, 03:36:11 pm
You guys can speculate about Cal all you want, but heres a dose of reality.

Cals Sophs have won 66 games the past two seasons, and gone to back to back elite eights.

Memphis had one junior this past season, Joey Dorsey. Cal has the top PG in the nation coming to Memphis next year, Derrick "Pooh" Rose, who happens to be the NBA draft net projected #1  pick for 2008. 

Cal wants to win a National Championship and he has worked hard to build "His" Memphis program. Cal may leave Memphis at some time in the future, but it is highly unlikely that Cal walks away from Memphis within the next two seasons.

Money is not a factor with Cal right now. Cal needs money like he needs speech lessons. FWIW Cal is paid quite well at Memphis, minus the pressures of say a Kentucky or Arkansas.

Cal and the Tigers have their hearts and minds set on  National Championship at Memphis, possibly even back to backs. Dont expect Cal to walk away from Memphis right now. The Tigers are loaded.

Bingo. I do think that it is likely possible he will be gone in a couple of years or so, but not this year. This really sounds like some rumor that a few are getting a good laugh over.

Hollywood_HOGan

Cals Sophs have won 66 games the past two seasons, and gone to back to back elite eights.

Memphis had one junior this past season, Joey Dorsey. Cal has the top PG in the nation coming to Memphis next year, Derrick "Pooh" Rose, who happens to be the NBA draft net projected #1  pick for 2008.  

Cal wants to win a National Championship and he has worked hard to build "His" Memphis program. Cal may leave Memphis at some time in the future, but it is highly unlikely that Cal walks away from Memphis within the next two seasons.

Money is not a factor with Cal right now. Cal needs money like he needs speech lessons. FWIW Cal is paid quite well at Memphis, minus the pressures of say a Kentucky or Arkansas.

Cal and the Tigers have their hearts and minds set on  National Championship at Memphis, possibly even back to backs. Dont expect Cal to walk away from Memphis right now. The Tigers are loaded.

Please not this sh** again!!!!!!

Most of us dont think the rumors are true.

Plus most hog fans do not want a cheating thug like calipari

forrest city joe

Memphis had one junior this past season, Joey Dorsey. Cal has the top PG in the nation coming to Memphis next year, Derrick "Pooh" Rose, who happens to be the NBA draft net projected #1  pick for 2008. 

Cal and the Tigers have their hearts and minds set on  National Championship at Memphis, possibly even back to backs. Dont expect Cal to walk away from Memphis right now. The Tigers are loaded.
Just keep him over there. that's all i ask. and no' he will never win a championship at tiger high. they are an overrated program.

discombobulationist

Memphis had one junior this past season, Joey Dorsey. Cal has the top PG in the nation coming to Memphis next year, Derrick "Pooh" Rose, who happens to be the NBA draft net projected #1  pick for 2008.  

Cal and the Tigers have their hearts and minds set on  National Championship at Memphis, possibly even back to backs. Dont expect Cal to walk away from Memphis right now. The Tigers are loaded.
I agree with most of what you say, but you lost me with the back to back stuff.
Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on September 05, 2014, 02:17:08 pmISIS could be overrunning your city and Rick would talk about how nice it is to have new neighbors.

Richard_white

Living here in Memphis/Germantown myself, I do not understand the hatred for Cal.  I also don't understand why he is labled a thug?  He did say some bad things about Arkansas.  I can forgive him if he was hired and took us to one of the longest winning streaks and take us to an elite 8.

Hogeration

That would be GREAT!!!! 

As far as the dis on Arkansas, who cares.  He did it to keep us from stealing his recruits and it worked.  The guy would be a great fit because his foot is in the door of the "basketball south".

Houston h

Quote from: Richard_white on March 31, 2007, 03:43:12 pm
Living here in Memphis/Germantown myself, I do not understand the hatred for Cal.  I also don't understand why he is labled a thug?  He did say some bad things about Arkansas.  I can forgive him if he was hired and took us to one of the longest winning streaks and take us to an elite 8.
I've never understood the hatred either.  He is a winner and isn't that what we are all on here complaining about?
He isn't leaving Memphis, at least not until he wins a NC........and Forest City Joe, he will win it at TIGER HIGH!!!

MTPAWR

It amazes me how you guys slander Calipari. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Calipari is a great recruiter. He runs a clean program.

If and when Cal does decide to leave Memphis, whether it be for Arkansas, or whomever, will be very fortunate to have him as head coach.

Cals value to a program goes far beyond the realm of basketball.

SpineHog

if this rumor starts sounding more legit, we all better hope tiger fans aren't into anything terribly kinky.  my eyes might melt right out this time...

searkhogfan

Quote from: MTPAWR on March 31, 2007, 03:53:08 pm
It amazes me how you guys slander Calipari. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Calipari is a great recruiter. He runs a clean program.

If and when Cal does decide to leave Memphis, whether it be for Arkansas, or whomever, will be very fortunate to have him as head coach.

I can't STAND HIM as the Coach of Memphis...   But I'd love him as the Coach of the HOGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOOOOOO  PIGGG  SOOOOOIIIIIIEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!!!!!!!!!

forrest city joe

Tell the folks at Umass, that he runs a clean program. the guy is a snake, and i don't want him anywhere near the UA program. thank god i have nothing to worry about. because it's not going to happen.

MTPAWR

Quote from: discombobulationist on March 31, 2007, 03:41:59 pm

I agree with most of what you say, but you lost me with the back to back stuff.
I was just saying, that Cal is loaded for the next two seasons, and is looking not only at the possibility of winning one, but two National Championships. Will he, I dont know, but is he eager to walk away from that opportunity? I guess well find out. I really doubt it. Go back and look at the NC State offer he turned down last year. Cal has built a program at Memphis. He didn't just get "lucky" the past two seasons.

BigDeal

Quote from: searkhogfan on March 31, 2007, 04:00:27 pm

I can't STAND HIM as the Coach of Memphis...   But I'd love him as the Coach of the HOGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hypothetically, if he DID leave Memphis, I HOPE it is Arkansas he is coaching next. But we have to make a deal on that one. Memphis gives Arkansas Calipari, and Arkansas has to give up Nutt to Memphis. Yeah baby, I'd take that ! Nutt will turn that program around and Memphis fans would certainly appreciate him a WHOLE lot more than some of you.

SpineHog

Quote from: BigDeal on March 31, 2007, 04:03:57 pm

Hypothetically, if he DID leave Memphis, I HOPE it is Arkansas he is coaching next. But we have to make a deal on that one. Memphis gives Arkansas Calipari, and Arkansas has to give up Nutt to Memphis. Yeah baby, I'd take that ! Nutt will turn that program around and Memphis fans would certainly appreciate him a WHOLE lot more than some of you.

holy crap, somebody make this a legally-binding agreement, QUICK.

LuckyGiraffe

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 31, 2007, 04:00:30 pm

Tell the folks at Umass, that he runs a clean program. the guy is a snake, and i don't want him anywhere near the UA program. thank god i have nothing to worry about. because it's not going to happen.

No Joe... please tell us all the smoke and fire in the Memphis program.  We all know what happened at UMASS, but explain all of Cal's transgressions at Memphis.

Houston h

That UMass stuff was Camby and had nothing to do with Cal.  Is that where this venom is coming from?

Newcoachplease

Every NCAA coach cheats. How else do these players who cant even spell the school they go to pass upper level college courses!

forrest city joe

Quote from: hawgfan923 on March 31, 2007, 04:07:39 pm

No Joe... please tell us all the smoke and fire in the Memphis program.  We all know what happened at UMASS, but explain all of Cal's transgressions at Memphis.
It's a long list my friend. from shawn williams, to the mink's to Chris massey and the rented cars. to Jeremy hunt beating up his girlfriend and being allowed back on the team. to cppoer being on the team this year. it's a thug program. and it always has been. even in the days of Dana kirk.

Free Agent

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 31, 2007, 04:12:38 pm

It's a long list my friend. from shawn williams, to the mink's to Chris massey and the rented cars. to Jeremy hunt beating up his girlfriend and being allowed back on the team. to cppoer being on the team this year. it's a thug program. and it always has been. even in the days of Dana kirk.

No it's not.

forrest city joe

searkhogfan

I can't STAND HIM as the Coach of Memphis...   But I'd love him as the Coach of the HOGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DEAL !!!!!!!!

OH MY GOD........

......THAT'S A FREAKIN' DEAL !!!!!!!     

RazorNick

oldtimerhog

Quote from: Houston hater on March 31, 2007, 03:06:00 pm
Wow, and what do all those Coach Cal haters have to say about that?  I for one would love it, talk about a high profile guy with coaching ability, NBA credentials and a hell of a recruiter.  If the Arkansas faithful can get over the Cal dis of a few years ago, then I we will all be fine.  Look at what this guy has done in Memphis in just a few years!  He is a players coach, a great ambassador for the UofM and a very nice guy! 

He is anything but a nice guy.  However, he is a very good coach and that is what we need!
Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!

tusksincolorado

Damn, we we get Cal, nobody from Arkansas will be allowed back in at Platinum Plus!!!  :razorback: :P
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

oldtimerhog

I can't STAND HIM as the Coach of Memphis...   But I'd love him as the Coach of the HOGS !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nutt would be way over his head as the Memphis football coach.  That is way out of his league.  Maybe he could coach one of the high school teams.
Welcome Petrino Brothers - We have waited a long time for you!

forrest city joe

Even if im the last hog fan saying no. it's still NO! i don't want to see the program become the next SMU.

tusksincolorado

I just want to be able to visit Platinum Plus! :razorback:

Man_O_Pork

Quote from: tusksincolorado on March 31, 2007, 04:40:27 pm

The Purple Church, baby!

JustoHogFan

Quote from: tusksincolorado on March 31, 2007, 04:40:27 pm

Is it reopened? I remember hearing on the news not to long ago that it got shut down after a drug raid.

Houston h

MCheisman

Quote from: MartHog on March 31, 2007, 03:01:34 pm
Been contacted by several Memphis boosters this morning in a panic over Calapari going to Arkansas for $2.5 million/year and bringing Derek Rose with him.

This has to be classified a rumor, and there may be nothing but Memphis panic to it, but that is what I have heard none-the-less.  This is based on personal contacts, not other board messages.

For what it is worth....
here we go, won't be long before we have 100 memphis trolls talking trash on this board.

Houston h

Quote from: forrest city joe on March 31, 2007, 04:12:38 pm
Quote from: hawgfan923 on March 31, 2007, 04:07:39 pm

The UofA has had it's share of thugs and inappropriate behavior.  Do I need to go through that list too?  William Mills ring any bells?  Rape charges against multiple players with a judges daughter?  Drug and Alcohol charges?  Guys getting to school and suddenly driving new cars!  I was in school in the early 90's in Fayetteville and saw first hand how our athletes are treated. 
Come on Joe, every program has it bad apples.  As far as Hunt, he made a big mistake but stood up like a man and changed his life.  He went to every practice and game last year after being kicked off the team and sat behind the bench to cheer on his teammates.  He graduated and is taking graduate school classes.  There are plenty of examples of kids going the wrong direction and never coming back but Hunt isn't one of them.  He is the shining example that every coach would point to and say that a guy can turn it around and make something of themself!

CheeZ_PuFF

Quote from: ark30inf on March 31, 2007, 03:08:14 pm
Quote from: Houston hater on March 31, 2007, 03:06:00 pm
Wow, and what do all those Coach Cal haters have to say about that?  I for one would love it, talk about a high profile guy with coaching ability, NBA credentials and a hell of a recruiter.  If the Arkansas faithful can get over the Cal dis of a few years ago, then I we will all be fine.  Look at what this guy has done in Memphis in just a few years!  He is a players coach, a great ambassador for the UofM and a very nice guy! 

To be honest, I don't care if he can call the Hogs.  I don't care if I like him. I don't care if he likes me. I don't care if he's an ass.  The two requirements are that he win, and that he not ever be an embarassment to state or university. 

Win.
Don't embarass.

If he can fulfill that then come on down.

I second that

moses_007

Guys quit slandering the Memphis program.  I haven't heard of any NCAA investigation over there.  You guys are just jealous that the Hogs don't have a recent record that can match up to Memphis.  :razorback:

MTPAWR

Quote from: searkhogfan on March 31, 2007, 04:25:10 pm

DEAL !!!!!!!!

OH MY GOD........

......THAT'S A FREAKIN' DEAL !!!!!!!     
Not so fast, you guys have to take RC Johnson and Blair Savage-Lansden. ;)

tusksincolorado

Don't tell me that!!!! It's been about 5 years but had some of the BEST times there!

Dwight_K_Shrute

The whole deal with Calapari being dirty came about because of Camby.  Why oh why must Italians be stereotyped this way?  Why must we bare this burden.  I've only knee capped 3 people in my entire life. 
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Arkiebrian

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on March 31, 2007, 05:03:41 pm
The whole deal with Calapari being dirty came about because of Camby.  Why oh why must Italians be stereotyped this way?  Why must we bare this burden.  I've only knee capped 3 people in my entire life. 

It's funny how this has stuck with him throughout the years.  I remember something being shady about Calipari and I couldn't remember exactly what it was...

Spiral_cut

I would take him in a heartbeat. I think he is better that BCG. 

AstroHawg

Quote from: Spiral_cut on March 31, 2007, 05:17:15 pm
I would take him in a heartbeat. I think he is better that BCG. 

BCG is an illiterate discharge.

elkhog

GO HOGS!!!

BigDeal

I think it is ridiculous to be discussing Cal coming. However, it is NOT that out of line to still have BG on the list of possible candidate. For some reason I feel this is still in the works and not over.

bigyellowdog

The thing I like best about this idea is stealing Memphis' coach from them.  Their fans reaction would be priceless. 

quest4excellence

I despise Calapari on a personal level fwiw

Word to ya motha! -Vanilla Ice

pioneerhog

How about some links to some of the Memphis message boards? I would like to see what they are saying about this. You can PM them if you want, I'm just being to lazy to look them up.

snag

I haven't been a fan of Calipari, but it might actually be a good hire. One bonus nobody has mentioned is that Calipari might be able to use his established connections in Memphis to renew our recruiting prowess there. Our inability to recruit there the last several years has really hurt.

lespaulHog

I would love to have Cal. Count me in.