Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

nolan richardson

Started by hogsgonewild30, March 20, 2007, 02:34:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsgonewild30

why is it he isn't coaching? is it because he is blocked by uofa to coach until he is paid out or contract would have expired. or is it like i suspect nobody wants him because he's not that good and a trouble maker.

WILL CLINTON

Not that good??  Bright statement.  He only won a championship at EVERY level he coached.  He must have just had some kind of luck in always having the best kids huh?? 

Trouble maker??  I think you have him confused with Frank Broyles.

He isn't blocked by the U of A, but he would cease to get his $500,000 a year from the U of A if he takes another coaching job. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

jamie72921

If Nolan wanted to coach, he would.

He has done most everything else he ever put his mind toward. Finding a job would be easy compared to some of the things the man has accomplished.
Bless your heart

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: jamie72921 on March 20, 2007, 02:39:46 pm
If Nolan wanted to coach, he would.

He has done most everything else he ever put his mind toward. Finding a job would be easy compared to some of the things the man has accomplished.

+1

Stella

I was hoping he would take the New Mexico job and win a NC.  Hawaii is also interested.  He would be able to really recruit to Hawaii.  West Coast players would love to go there. 

spudhog

Quote from: dubyacee on March 20, 2007, 02:37:17 pm
Not that good??  Bright statement.  He only won a championship at EVERY level he coached.  He must have just had some kind of luck in always having the best kids huh?? 

He isn't blocked by the U of A, but he would cease to get his $500,000 a year from the U of A if he takes another coaching job. 

i see that we have a eddie sutton fan here. i think nolan was standing in line when they were handing out nc's and national coach of the year awards in 94'. c'mon dude, nolan is the godfather of uofa bball. he brought us glory and made the country know where arkansas was at. he was an innovater and will always be remembered for taking a "niche" style of ball all the way to 3 final fours and one nc. he was great for the state, our u and for college bball. i hope he gets back in and sticks it to the world like he did in 94'. he'll always have my support.

hawaiianhogster

Quote from: Stella on March 20, 2007, 02:52:49 pm
I was hoping he would take the New Mexico job and win a NC.  Hawaii is also interested.  He would be able to really recruit to Hawaii.  West Coast players would love to go there. 

Bobby Curran of 1420 ESPN radio seems to believe it's not just a rumor anymore that Nolan is a candidate for the Hawaii BB HC job. I'm there if he takes it.

LordStanleysHog

Quote from: spudhog on March 20, 2007, 02:57:48 pm

i see that we have a eddie sutton fan here. i think nolan was standing in line when they were handing out nc's and national coach of the year awards in 94'. c'mon dude, nolan is the godfather of uofa bball. he brought us glory and made the country know where arkansas was at. he was an innovater and will always be remembered for taking a "niche" style of ball all the way to 3 final fours and one nc. he was great for the state, our u and for college bball. i hope he gets back in and sticks it to the world like he did in 94'. he'll always have my support.

+1

cardinalhawg

Quote from: hawaiianhogster on March 20, 2007, 03:03:45 pm

Bobby Curran of 1420 ESPN radio seems to believe it's not just a rumor anymore that Nolan is a candidate for the Hawaii BB HC job. I'm there if he takes it.

He could put those Hawaiiian shirts to use again.

WILL CLINTON

Maybe you misread my post, but I am a Nolan Fan.  I agree with everything you posted.  Hell I bought a piece of basketball flooring with his autograph on it.  I am one of the biggest proponents for Nolan there is. 

On the other hand, I abhor Eddie Sutton.  His "I would crawl to Kentucky" comment will be forever etched in my mind as the most dispicable statement ever uttered from a coach at Arkansas.  Oh, and the boozing and womanizing didn't help either. 

MrsPiggy

Not that good?  So 3 Final Fours and National Championship are now no longer used in determining if a coach is "good enough"?  What about conference championships?  Those out as well?

Personally, I suspect that Nolan's waiting till his payout ends with the UofA.  He wants Broyles to sign those checks as long as possible ;)  More power to him in my opinion!

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: cardinalhawg on March 20, 2007, 03:09:01 pm
Quote from: hawaiianhogster on March 20, 2007, 03:03:45 pm

He could put those Hawaiiian shirts to use again.

+1  LOL!  I had forgot about those.  The cowboy boots would be a little out of place though!

hawgsav1

I thought Nolan's payout was completed. It was for either two or three million. I thought it was 2 million but I could be wrong. At 500 grand a year, that should be over already.  But my other question was that what did people think about Nolan's interview regarding Frank Broyles "resignation"?  When he said the whole bit about Razorback fans keeping hope and all that jazz and that things can always get better and go back to the old way and something other ruther. Basically what I'm getting at is Nolan sounded like he wanted to come back. Do you guys think so and if so, you think he would come back and would you support it etc.?
Revenge is a dish best served cold. - Klingon Proverb

Stella

Quote from: rzrbkman on March 20, 2007, 03:13:17 pm
Nolan must have believed he was receiving a retirement check long before he ever left the UA. He lost the fire in his belly and started bringing in recruits who were never going to be eligible plus he started bringing us such wonders as Dionisio Gomez, Mike Jones, Alonzo Lane, Larry Satchell and many others who didn't belong at the Div. I level. Nolan quit coaching about 6 years before actually leaving the bench at the UA.

Thats true, it easy to forget how bad it got with Nolan toward the end.  He won his NC and kind of showed down.  He had made his point.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: hawgsav1 on March 20, 2007, 03:28:20 pm
I thought Nolan's payout was completed. It was for either two or three million. I thought it was 2 million but I could be wrong. At 500 grand a year, that should be over already.  But my other question was that what did people think about Nolan's interview regarding Frank Broyles "resignation"?  When he said the whole bit about Razorback fans keeping hope and all that jazz and that things can always get better and go back to the old way and something other ruther. Basically what I'm getting at is Nolan sounded like he wanted to come back. Do you guys think so and if so, you think he would come back and would you support it etc.?

I would support the Basketball program like I never have before if Nolan came back. 

but don't hold your breath.  There is NO WAY IN HELL that Nolan will ever coach at arkansas again. 

spudhog

Quote from: dubyacee on March 20, 2007, 03:16:40 pm

Maybe you misread my post, but I am a Nolan Fan.  I agree with everything you posted.  Hell I bought a piece of basketball flooring with his autograph on it.  I am one of the biggest proponents for Nolan there is. 

On the other hand, I abhor Eddie Sutton.  His "I would crawl to Kentucky" comment will be forever etched in my mind as the most dispicable statement ever uttered from a coach at Arkansas.  Oh, and the boozing and womanizing didn't help either. 

how could call him a bad coach and trouble maker then?

SigPig

If Nolan is hired elsewhere he will not receive his 500k a year from the university anymore. And I would bet that Nolan could get a job paying at least that. So, IMO- Nolan wants to make sure he gets every penny possible out of the U of A.

spudhog

Quote from: rzrbkman on March 20, 2007, 04:18:33 pm
Quote from: SignaturePig on March 20, 2007, 04:15:49 pm
If Nolan is hired elsewhere he will not receive his 500k a year from the university anymore. And I would bet that Nolan could get a job paying at least that. So, IMO- Nolan wants to make sure he gets every penny possible out of the U of A.

I think if Nolan really wanted to coach, or if someone really wanted him to coach, he would have been coaching again by now.

if i was getting 500k a year to play golf and do things i never got to do during my career. i don't think i would be too much in a hurry to get back to the grindstone.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: spudhog on March 20, 2007, 03:44:55 pm

I was quoting this post.  I guess I should have put it in my post. 

Quote from: hogsgonewild30 on March 20, 2007, 02:34:27 pm
why is it he isn't coaching? is it because he is blocked by uofa to coach until he is paid out or contract would have expired. or is it like i suspect nobody wants him because he's not that good and a trouble maker.

spudhog

Quote from: dubyacee on March 20, 2007, 04:24:16 pm
Quote from: spudhog on March 20, 2007, 03:44:55 pm

I was quoting this post.  I guess I should have put it in my post. 

my bad. no hard feelings before or after the fact.  ;D

rcowen

I would like to see nolan go to another school and coach. He's still got good years left, and he's a heckuva coach.

spudhog

like to see him in the sec. maybe usc.

hoglee

I have said it before but i would like to see him here and I think he would.  Who could we actually get that was better than Nolan?

Hawgin84

March 20, 2007, 04:46:17 pm #23 Last Edit: March 20, 2007, 04:48:17 pm by Hawgin84

I knew about the boozing, but I didn't know about the womanizing. I didn't like the "I would crawl to Kentucky" comment either. The A-hole got rich by coming to Arkansas. If he was mad at one person; Frank Broyles, he should have said it at the time.

I didn't like Nolan's comments about "paying him his money" either. I probably understand what that was all about now.

Nolan can get a job; if he wants one.

dirtydoghog

Quote from: hoglee on March 20, 2007, 04:43:52 pm
I have said it before but i would like to see him here and I think he would.  Who could we actually get that was better than Nolan?

Pretty much anyone.  Nolan lost me when he woudln't drive the 2 blocks to see Ronnie Brewer play.  Can anyone tell me why Nolan felt Ronnie didn't need to be recruited? 

hawgaramus

Not that good?  So what is your idea of being a good coach?  He took his team to 3 Final Fours in the 90's, won a National Championship, played for a second NC the next year, and had one of the highest winning percentages in that decade.  He also won a championship at every level of basketball that he coached at.  So please, espouse to us masses how he isn't "that good of a coach."

Razor8

i would support him coming back - i like his style of basketball - and if he starts talking too much crap again - i know how to turn the sound off.
Razorbacks

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: dirtydoghog on March 20, 2007, 04:50:28 pm

Pretty much anyone.  Nolan lost me when he woudln't drive the 2 blocks to see Ronnie Brewer play.  Can anyone tell me why Nolan felt Ronnie didn't need to be recruited? 

Maybe he is a better judge of talent. 

dirtydoghog

Quote from: dubyacee on March 20, 2007, 04:53:11 pm
Quote from: dirtydoghog on March 20, 2007, 04:50:28 pm

Maybe he is a better judge of talent. 

Yeah, I mean heck...it's not like Roy Williams who is known as the best recruiter in country was flying into Fayetteville to see ronnie play.....oh wait, yeah he did.

IBreal

He can coach at any level IMO.  He is enjoying his time off for now and when he is ready you'll see it.  I think that this last couple of years has made him thinking about coaching again.  IMO, Nolan is going to be coaching somewhere in 2 or 3 years from now.  I just hope that it'll be in the SEC and that he comes to Arkansas and whup up on the little piglets in front of all the people who wanted him out.  Nolan is a winner and he'll always win wherever he goes.

woopigs in the jb

nolan was a good coach but, he played the race card and many of his players did not graduate. he could be used as a good assistant somewhere but probally never be another head coach.

Kodiak

It seems that people forget after a passage of time. "No Nolan, ever again!"
Due to the lack of interest, the remainder of this day has been cancelled.
K.I.S.S.  Keep It Simple Stupid!

mykidsdad

Quote from: woopigs in the jb on March 20, 2007, 06:19:49 pm
nolan was a good coach but, he played the race card and many of his players did not graduate. he could be used as a good assistant somewhere but probally never be another head coach.

You are quite mistaken about that. If he wants to coach again, he will, and it will not be as an assistant coach.

hawaiianhogster

Quote from: rzrbkman on March 20, 2007, 03:19:14 pm

I used to think that it would be easy to recruit to Hawaii and wondered why the big names never went there. Then I realized that a player could probably only afford to go home once per year unless he was flying with the team to a game on the mainland, plus how many of his friends and family could afford to go there often to see him play and how many games involving Hawaii were on national TV this year? Hawaii has to recruit a bunch of players, mainly JC, that don't really care whether they go back home or someone comes to see them that often.

You pretty much figured out why it's difficult to recruit big time recruits to Hawaii. There's other reasons and the UH athletic department is addressing them to correct them but it will take a few years to fix.

hogsgonewild30

f@#& nolan,  he makes nutt seem like a good guy

mykidsdad

Quote from: hogsgonewild30 on March 20, 2007, 09:38:10 pm

Yea you make sense there. One wins a 1 NC, plays in another NC game and takes another team to the final four. In addition that one also won a NIT and NJCAA championship. This same coach spends countless hours helping others, raising money for sick children, and championing his beliefs.

Now contrast that with the other "coach". 0 NCs. 0 NC games. 0 BCS games the equivalent of a sweet 16 in BB (which the other coach had at least 5 in 17 years or about 1 every 3 years). This coach doesn't stand up for anything that he believes in, and if he did it would be himself because that apparently is extent of his belief system. In addition at least circumstantially it appears that he either condones or actually helps write threatening emails to student athletes.

I do feel sorry for you. I know coach and have for 20+ years. I know about a lot of great things that he has done that no one knows about to help other people. I know how when my sister was 15 he followed her in the Tulsa airport to make sure that she gone on the right flight (this was before we knew him). I know how he helped me and my family lay my sister to rest last year. I know how I once told him about a little girl I knew that needed a bone-marrow transplant and how he gave me a check for 5K without blinking an eye so that her family could stay with her through this ordeal (we eventually lost the little girl). I know of many, many more things that he has done to help others and it sadens me that people are so mis-informed.

See the problem is that you are probably basing your opinion on things reported to you from others. You have never met coach, you only speak about what you know which is reported by those that have a skewed impression.

If you doubt what I say, then ask yourself why the facts about HDN and his actions are not being reported.

hawaiianhogster

This was my outlook when the Nolan burst out on TV. Now I understand why he did it. I can't blame him for getting frustrated and losing control because of the freak boys.

hoglee

It's true Nolan had a chip on his shoulder.  And it is also true that he felt compelled to stand up against any perceived slight.  I am in sales and sometimes it is in everyones best interest to just start over in a relationship.  I believe that Nolan would come back.  Do we want him?  Well that depends on who else is available.  My only point is sometimes it is your best interest to forgive .  We all know now that the problems were not all with Nolan.  JFB was unhappy and undermined Nolan for years.  Why was JFB unhappy.  I don't know.  I do know that you can't take the one incident out of the context and accurately judge the whole situation.  What do you think?

conman_7

Well let me ask a question-- Would you want Bobby Knight?

He has had a ton of problems throughout his career.

hoglee

Your right of course.  Nolan spouted off many times.  He has an inner rage that is a two edged sword.  It motivates him to greatness and also alienates his supporters.  I just have a lot of grace for him.  His tenure at UA was fun to watch. Unlike what we have now.  I used to be rabid about watching BB but now I don't even watch half the time.

erniehog

It appears the U of A will be paying Nolan to coach the Mexican Olympic team starting in May according to Demozette.  A little sarcasm there, don't take it all literally.

arkrazfan

Mexico will show up in China with 12 guards and press the hell out of the rest of the world. They won't win, but it will be fun to watch.

hogsgonewild30

Quote from: mykidsdad on March 20, 2007, 10:40:32 pm

Yea you make sense there. One wins a 1 NC, plays in another NC game and takes another team to the final four. In addition that one also won a NIT and NJCAA championship. This same coach spends countless hours helping others, raising money for sick children, and championing his beliefs.

Now contrast that with the other "coach". 0 NCs. 0 NC games. 0 BCS games the equivalent of a sweet 16 in BB (which the other coach had at least 5 in 17 years or about 1 every 3 years). This coach doesn't stand up for anything that he believes in, and if he did it would be himself because that apparently is extent of his belief system. In addition at least circumstantially it appears that he either condones or actually helps write threatening emails to student athletes.

I do feel sorry for you. I know coach and have for 20+ years. I know about a lot of great things that he has done that no one knows about to help other people. I know how when my sister was 15 he followed her in the Tulsa airport to make sure that she gone on the right flight (this was before we knew him). I know how he helped me and my family lay my sister to rest last year. I know how I once told him about a little girl I knew that needed a bone-marrow transplant and how he gave me a check for 5K without blinking an eye so that her family could stay with her through this ordeal (we eventually lost the little girl). I know of many, many more things that he has done to help others and it sadens me that people are so mis-informed.

See the problem is that you are probably basing your opinion on things reported to you from others. You have never met coach, you only speak about what you know which is reported by those that have a skewed impression.

If you doubt what I say, then ask yourself why the facts about HDN and his actions are not being reported.

i have met nolan, and from that have no respect for the man what so ever

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: hogsgonewild30 on March 21, 2007, 03:30:33 pm

He probably didn't like you either. 

HOGnLR

March 21, 2007, 04:33:18 pm #44 Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 08:51:23 am by prairiehog
Quote from: hogsgonewild30 on March 21, 2007, 03:42:45 pm
Quote from: dubyacee on March 21, 2007, 03:39:05 pm

i am an idiot, forgive me.

Typical. Where'd you learn that.
They cover the weather before it happens and the news after it happens, but sports are important enough to cover live.

hogsgonewild30

March 21, 2007, 04:36:57 pm #45 Last Edit: March 24, 2007, 08:50:51 am by prairiehog
Quote from: HOGnLR on March 21, 2007, 04:33:18 pm
Quote from: hogsgonewild30 on March 21, 2007, 03:42:45 pm
Quote from: dubyacee on March 21, 2007, 03:39:05 pm

Catfish

Nolan always looked out for his players and made sure they got a good quality educational experience.  His graduation percentage has no rival.  

hogsgonewild30

Quote from: Catfish on March 21, 2007, 04:39:00 pm
Nolan always looked out for his players and made sure they got a good quality educational experience.  His graduation percentage has no rival.  

neither did his racism

Catfish

Nolan was a racist?  I had no idea he loved Nascar!

IPig

March 21, 2007, 04:58:30 pm #49 Last Edit: March 23, 2007, 09:29:16 am by HogISH™
Quote from: hogsgonewild30 on March 21, 2007, 04:44:55 pm
Quote from: Catfish on March 21, 2007, 04:41:05 pm
Nolan was a racist?  I had no idea he loved Nascar!

ya gotta love the typical internet tough guys.....

perhaps this was the guy that Nolan was calling a redneck SOB.