It's over start the search for a new basketball coach now

Started by forrest city joe, February 21, 2007, 09:33:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

lrar1974

Quote from: kuhog on February 21, 2007, 10:52:55 pm
Quote from: lrar1974 on February 21, 2007, 10:30:08 pm
Quote from: kuhog on February 21, 2007, 10:16:26 pm
Quote from: lrar1974 on February 21, 2007, 09:49:46 pm
BILL SELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He would come. He has learned, no matter how good you are, it's tough to replace a legend.

He comes here, he can replace Stan Heath. Get more money and be at a place he can still win it all!

There is no way Bill Self comes to Arkansas. What makes you think he gets more money? How can you assume he is worrying about replacing a legend? Yes, Bill Self did inquire about the vacant Arkansas position while he was at Illinois, but instead, he landed one of the top jobs in NCAA basketball.
How can you assume that he won't make more money at Arkansas? We certainly have more money than  Kansas. I know for a fact that Self has coveted the Arkansas job more than once. Even if he was at Illinois at the time, Arkansas is still a great place with tons of potential.

How do I know that he is having trouble replacing a legend? Because everyone does. Don't discount the viability of the Arkansas job.

Last time I checked, we have won a title since Kansas has.

Once again lrar1974, your delusional. Or maybe it's denial. Simply put, Arkansas is no longer the program you remember it to be. To put it mildly, it's a train wreck. It can, and will be repaired with the right coach. But no coach from an elite program is going to leave a well established program to rebuild another program.
We just simply disagree. And we do.

lrar1974

Quote from: kuhog on February 21, 2007, 10:57:44 pm
It's closer than you may think. And we certainly have won a title since Kansas. And the Kansas team that won the title in 1986 was run off the Barnhill floor in 1985.

Actually, the Kansas team that won the championship was in 1988.
[/quote] '86, '88, I think that was before '94. That was my point.

ndhog

Quote from: lrar1974 on February 21, 2007, 10:48:04 pm
Quote from: tweakmyhamstrings on February 21, 2007, 10:45:40 pm
The answer to our coaching problems used to be just a few miles away in Fort Smith. 
No more darkhorses or experiments. Arkansas Basketball deserves a proven winner on the D1 level.

No less than that this time!

I agree with you.  However, who is in charge of the AD?  JFB?  White?  The problem is who will be doing the hiring.  History say the next coach will be an up and comer, just like the last three.  Fortunately, the first two panned out.  The most recent has been a failure.  I think if AR would throw some big bucks, they could get any coach they wanted.  Problem is we won't because we don't want to spend the money.  Bud Walton will still be full as long as SH is gone.  If he's gone.  Surely, he can see the writing on the wall and go take a Big Ten job somewhere, like Northwestern or MN.  Why would you stay if you had a high probability of getting fired?  Anyhow, if we had a good AD, he would have been gone two years ago since he was scared to play UALR.  It would have been a sure thing AR would have lost to UALR, he would have been fired.  Instead he cashes checks for two more years.  The last thing I want to see is a buyout.  I don't understand why some schools won't institute some common sense and put some minimum requirements into the contract in order to be bought out. 

U.P. HOGG

Quote from: hogwildinhouston on February 21, 2007, 09:43:01 pm
Quote from: dotnet on February 21, 2007, 09:40:58 pm
This is crazy.  I understand the desire, but you're not going to be able to get those guys.  Its like saying, I'm tired of this, lets go and get Albert Puljos.  You can't just go out and get whoever you want.

We're not going to be able to hire either of those two guys away from their respective jobs.  The only one we really have a shot at is Bill Self, and that would only be if they lost in the 1st round again.  Do you really want him if he loses in the first round again?

You know what?  It's mentality like this that is the reason we have Houston Nutt and Stan Heath.

"We're just Arkansas.......we can't hire those guys."

It's just a total BS mentality.  YES WE CAN hire those guys.  We just have to do what it takes money wise to do it.  Show a commitment to excellence for god sakes.

Yup.  +1

helmet

Make a big push for BS or BG. If not go after Anderson or the DOC.

RD

HogKongPhooey

Quote from: tweakmyhamstrings on February 21, 2007, 10:58:08 pm
Folks...let's open our hearts and minds and let Doc come home! :)   For Pete's sake call the DOC!!!  This team is going into NIT seizures ... call the DOC! :P

You call Doc.  I'd like to aim a bit higher this next time around.  We can't afford to miss on Stan's replacement.

Pignominious

Quote from: tweakmyhamstrings on February 21, 2007, 10:30:49 pm
Stan stays for another year while our next coach gets another year of experience in the Big 12. 

No way.  The basketball program should not be held to the same standards as the football program.  Stan has sucked for 5 years.  Please fire him.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

lumphog

hawgdavis

forestcity joe did you play football if so when did you graduate highschool.Im from Helena.I now live in Ga.and not too long ago came across a guy from Greenville Ms. who is now working in Atlanta come to find out we played head up two years in a row me a TE and he a DE.we were a run oriented
offence.Also I would like to Kmow if coach Gore is still in Forrestcity or still alive he coached me for a year before returning to Forrestcity he also had a bout with cancer.

JustoHogFan

Quote from: hawgdavis on February 21, 2007, 11:24:59 pm
forestcity joe did you play football if so when did you graduate highschool.Im from Helena.I now live in Ga.and not too long ago came across a guy from Greenville Ms. who is now working in Atlanta come to find out we played head up two years in a row me a TE and he a DE.we were a run oriented
offence.Also I would like to Kmow if coach Gore is still in Forrestcity or still alive he coached me for a year before returning to Forrestcity he also had a bout with cancer.

Im from Forrest City and yes, coach Clinton Gore is still alive... actually he is the Uncle of one of my best friends and is the head football coach of the Osceola semnioles... very good coach

hawgdavis

HawgG

Quote from: dotnetYour recruiting thing falls through.  It is national, who has Heath gotten nationally?  He got someone from Michigan, but he lived in Michigan for years and had a relationship with the AAU coach.  The Chicago thing was only because no one had heard of Beverly and by the time anyone had, most of the top programs had filled their spots.  Who else have we recruited from?  Only places that are local (ie. Missouri (Hill) and Mississippi).  The one exception is Townes.  That doesn't count though because he had a relationship with Thompson at the time. 

BG is two hours from Houston and three from Dallas.  He will and already has gotten a lot of talent from those areas.

Dude you are right about Stan's recruiting.It is his recruiting failures that has caused the program to struggle this season.The failure to sign a PG is what caused the Brewer, Modica, and Ferguson teams to not reach it's potential.

Stan downfall at Arkansas has much more to do with his recruiting then his floor coaching.My God he has two highly thought of asst. coaches on his staff, I think they know the game and can teach it.

I am to the point that I hope there is a change just so people will see just how much talent there really is at Arkansas next season.With Patrick Beverley gone and our best recruit Jenniro Bush not coming, next season is going to be a very long and painful one to go through.

On the bright side, we will have a nearly full BWA even though next season's team will win only 10 games, or maybe that is to high. 

PittsJay

I can't believe that some of you guys actually think that the Arkansas job is the equal of the Kansas job.

Come on.  There isn't a soul outside of the Arkansas fanbase that would buy that.

lilredheadedlady

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 21, 2007, 09:33:02 pm
                                    We have to move quick on this because the 2008 recruiting class is a must. even a blind man can see that this was never going to work. Stan is not ever going to make it here. and i said that two years ago. open the freaking checkbook and get a bigtime coach in here. give Stan the news after the next 3 games that it's over. and here are the guys i want us to talk too.
1.Bill self. Kansas
2.Billy Gillispie
This has to happen soon.enough is enough.

If they fire Heath, in all fairness, HDN needs to go, too.  He's as bad or worse than Heath.  I believe that Heath has integrity, albeit he hasn't impressed me as a ball coach.  I think HDN isn't a good coach and I don't believe a word that comes from the man's mouth.
I love our Arkansas Razorback players! WPS!

razorbrock

Quote from: Squeal on February 21, 2007, 10:36:55 pm
Quote from: razorbrock on February 21, 2007, 10:21:29 pm
There is no way Bill Self comes to Arkansas. What makes you think he gets more money? How can you assume he is worrying about replacing a legend? Yes, Bill Self did inquire about the vacant Arkansas position while he was at Illinois, but instead, he landed one of the top jobs in NCAA basketball.

Ark is one of the top jobs in NCAA basketball.  Not saying we can (or even want to) get Self--I just don't think Kansas is a better job than Ark.  Equal, but not better.

**I'm referring to the last 25-30 yrs.

Surely you jest.......

Kansas is the equal of Arkansas over the last 25-30 years?

Wrong..........

First of all, opinions are neither right nor wrong.  Secondly, I've been to Kansas--I'm definitely not wrong.   :)
"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." ~Winston Churchill

BobStrauss

Arkansas has a good chance at having a great basketball program, but to say it's on par with Kansas - the 3rd winningest program of all time - is crazy. The Arkansas basketball program just doesn't measure up to KU as far as tradition, fanbase, and general historic importance to the game. Arkansas doesn't have Allen Fieldhouse either, which is typically regarded as one of the top three venues in college basketball by the pundits, magazines, and talking heads. Bill Self regards the head coaching position at the University of Kansas as the "most prestigious chair in all of college basketball."

(Link to article here: http://www.kuconnection.org/2003may/people_1.asp)

Why would he leave that to become head coach at a program that is historically light-years behind Kentucky, and presently light-years behind Florida? Speaking of which, the Kentucky position is going to be available before long, as everyone knows that Tubby is not far from being canned. That is one of, if not the most coveted coaching position in all of college sports. Pays pretty well too! Billy G knows this as well as anyone, and do you think he'd give up a shot at the Kentucky position to be the next head coach of the Razorbacks? Sorry guys, but dream on.

Arkansas is in a great position to land an extremely good coach. But pinning your hopes on either of those two candidates is totally unrealistic, and setting yourself up for disappointment.

razorrog1

Quote from: dotnet on February 21, 2007, 09:40:58 pm
This is crazy.  I understand the desire, but you're not going to be able to get those guys.  Its like saying, I'm tired of this, lets go and get Albert Puljos.  You can't just go out and get whoever you want.

We're not going to be able to hire either of those two guys away from their respective jobs.  The only one we really have a shot at is Bill Self, and that would only be if they lost in the 1st round again.  Do you really want him if he loses in the first round again?
Can't get them? Based on what?  Last Championship? Advantage Arkansas.  Facilities? Advantage Arkansas.  Area/Quality of life? Advantage Arkansas. Conference credibility? A little more iffy, but I still believe advantage Arkansas.  I haven't really looked, but I'm pretty sure we can match/exceed salaries.  Passionate/Demanding but patient fans? Advantage Arkansas.  I may be slow, but explain again why we couldn't get these guys?

elksnort

Who wants Bill Self anyway. What has he done? And take the Kansas crap somewhere else. People there don't even know how to say A R K A N S A S.

BobStrauss

QuoteCan't get them? Based on what?  Last Championship? Advantage Arkansas.  Facilities? Advantage Arkansas.  Area/Quality of life? Advantage Arkansas. Conference credibility? A little more iffy, but I still believe advantage Arkansas.  I haven't really looked, but I'm pretty sure we can match/exceed salaries.  Passionate/Demanding but patient fans? Advantage Arkansas.  I may be slow, but explain again why we couldn't get these guys?

Last Championship? Advantage Arkansas.
Last Final Four? Advantage Kansas (twice)
Basketball Facilities? Advantage Kansas (Phog Allen Fieldhouse on Naismith Ave - Arkansas tops this how?)
Area/Quality of Life? Advantage Kansas (you were joking, right?)
Conference credibility? Close enough to not even matter.
Basketball fan representation at home and away? Advantage Kansas.
History, Tradition, Media Knob-Slobbing? Advantage Kansas.
Recruiting Advantage on name value? Advantage Kansas.
Current Roster? Advantage Kansas.
Basketball Alumni Support? Advantage Kansas.

So, let's rehash Arkansas' main advantages over Kansas -
1. they have the most recent title (probably not a huge factor in a coach's decision to leave)
2. they have more patient fans (i.e. fans with lower expectations)

Call me crazy, but I don't think that's enough to lure Bill away from his "dream job." And again, if Billy G ever decides to leave his home in Texas, he'll be coaching against you guys in Lexington.

I honestly feel bad about doing this guys, but this board really needed a healthy dose of reality.

moondog

A&M is prepared to give Gillespie $2 million a year. Can Arkansas, a "football school" cough up some real dough for a coach? I hope I'm wrong, but I'm scared that Stan gets a free pass from Broyles this year. JFB will leave so many problems for the new AD, namely a pair of idiots coaching the 2 big-draw sports.

humphrey

Do you think we could possible hire Pat Summit from Tennessee to coach the mens program, she has a proven record and knows how to win......

whoisjohngalt

Come on guys, be realistic here. Kansas is one of the top 5 programs in the country. Williams to Carolina was a lateral move, and he only went because he was an alum and NC native. The only jobs that compare to KU are UK, UNC, Duke, UCLA, and Indiana. If Self leaves for any reason, he'd go to Oklahoma State. The only way UA would get Self is if he were fired at Kansas.

Gillespie is a possibility, but A&M has a ton of money and will match any monetary offer UA can put on the table. UA has a better basketball tradition, but that may not be enough to lure Gillespie away from his home state. I don't think Gillespie will leave A&M but for a job at one of the top 6 schools mentioned above.

Bottom line, with the state of the UA athletic department, it's going to be pretty hard to attract anyone but a promising up and comer from a mid-major.

3kgthog

Why on earth are so many people enamored with Bill Self? He's got two NCAA first round losses in a row at the supposed powerhouse called Kansas. The man can't win once it hits the big time and frankly I don't want to hire any coach that has lost to a Stan Heath team on a neutral floor. See the Maui Invitational.

On another topic, why do so many of you have such a defeatist mentality? When Frank said we could never hire a top notch coach did you think he meant basketball too? Andy Katz said it himself when we hired Stan Heath. He said if things don't work out for Heath at Arkansas where could Stan go next? He said there are very few places better than Arkansas and Stan had already jumped to one of the pinnacle positions in only one season. I agree with him and we can get just about anyone we want if we avoid the search committee route.

jhawk730

February 23, 2007, 03:19:36 pm #76 Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 03:26:12 pm by jhawk730
Quote from: razorbrock on February 22, 2007, 05:59:06 am

Ark is one of the top jobs in NCAA basketball.  Not saying we can (or even want to) get Self--I just don't think Kansas is a better job than Ark.  Equal, but not better.

Surely you jest.......

Wrong..........

First of all, opinions are neither right nor wrong.  Secondly, I've been to Kansas--I'm definitely not wrong.   :)

You're delusional razorbrock. That's the only way to describe your "opinions" of KU v Arkansas.

I would never pretend that KU's football program is on par with Arkansas' because it's not. So why do you pretend Arkansas' basketball program is on par with one of the winningest programs in NCAA history? ARK isn't even tops in the SEC! And they haven't been for over a decade.

the king

February 23, 2007, 03:30:43 pm #77 Last Edit: February 23, 2007, 03:32:55 pm by the king
Quote from: kuhog on February 21, 2007, 10:57:44 pm
It's closer than you may think. And we certainly have won a title since Kansas. And the Kansas team that won the title in 1986 was run off the Barnhill floor in 1985.

Actually, the Kansas team that won the championship was in 1988.

[/quote]

Thank you! At least someone on here has a brain!  :o

JayhawkHog

Do you guys have any idea how ridiculous and desperate you sound?  Neither Self nor Gillespie would ever consider Arkansas at this stage in their careers.  Let's take Gillespie's case first:

Gillespie walks on water in College Station.  The Aggies have given him the key to the city and everything else they can think of.  He's got a terrific post player coming in next year that he can't wait to start coaching.  Indiana called twice to try to interview him for the Hoosier head-coaching vacancy, and he wouldn't even return their calls.  Do you think if he stiffed Indiana he's going to come to Fayetteville?  He's exactly where he wants to be.

Same story with Self.  He has said many times that Kansas is his dream job.  Kansas is a perennial top 5 program, with arguably more history and tradition behind it than any other school.  Rated #4 all-time program by Street & Smith's, behind Kentucky, UCLA, and North Carolina.  The fans in Lawrence are absolutely berserk, and they fill the barn to capacity every game.  The AD just sweetened his contract earlier this season and extended it through 2013.  Bill's got a roster full of underclass McDonald's All-Americans who'll be back next year for another title run, plus two four-star recruits--a 7'0", 270-lb. lumberjack from Minnesota (who's still growing) and a 6'3" sharpshooter from Kansas--coming in.  The cupboard is fully stocked.  Is he going to run out on that because you wave a couple million bucks in front of his nose?  News flash:  he's already well taken care of at Kansas.

By the way, Larry Brown wanted to come back in 2003.  He said leaving Kansas was the biggest mistake of his career.  We weren't interested. 

Similarly, many schools have come calling for Few.  He's told all of them to take a hike.  What makes you think you're any different?   

You guys need to let some air out of your egos, lower your sights a peg or two and do what other schools do:  find a good, young, up-and-coming coach.  They're out there.  Nebraska (with your own Doc Sadler) and Iowa State just hired two of them in our conference.  Colorado is soon to hire another one, from among two excellent candidates.  We hired Roy Williams in 1988 when he was an untested assistant. 

Make the right hire.  And that won't be accomplished by irrationally chasing after coaches who are thrilled with where they're at.  Those coaches, sorry to tell you, include both Gillespie and Self.  If you think otherwise, you're dreaming. 

jhawk730

Quote from: donewithdale on February 23, 2007, 03:37:52 pm
Quote from: jhawk730 on February 23, 2007, 03:19:36 pm

Surely you jest.......

Wrong..........

First of all, opinions are neither right nor wrong.  Secondly, I've been to Kansas--I'm definitely not wrong.   :)

You're delusional razorbrock. That's the only way to describe your "opinions" of KU v Arkansas.

I would never pretend that KU's football program is on par with Arkansas' because it's not. So why do you pretend Arkansas' basketball program is on par with one of the winningest programs in NCAA history? ARK isn't even tops in the SEC! And they haven't been for over a decade.

KU is one of the Top 5 programs all time.  We are Top 10.  Not much difference.

Last 30 years - KU 6 F4s UA 4 F4s; KU 1 NC UA 1 NC

Arenas- Phog one of the best sports venues as far as tradition and atmosphere- Barnhill wasn't far behind and Bud Walton makes up for what little was lost with the move with moderness.  Slight edge KU maybe

Fan support/passion/interest- We still care more about football so its not quite KU basketball but its not far behind either

Capability of paying for a quality coach: I don't know KU's situation but from seeing your facilities in comparision, I don't think we are trailing in this area.

Willingness to pay for a quality bask coach: KU based on our history of hiring to this point

Pressure to win:  can't say there is much difference except we are slightly more tolerable to bask losing when we have a quality football coach doing well(quality being a key word)

So I don't think brock is delusional as you said as the differences arent' as great as you make them out to be during brock's declared time period of 25-30 years.

Top 10??? LOL!

Here are some ahead of you: Duke, KU, UNC, Indiana, UCLA, Kentucky, Arizona, Michigan St, Illinois, Florida, Texas, OK State, Georgia Tech, Oklahoma....the list goes on.

The pressure to win at KU is about as high as it gets. Our fans expect nothing but Elite 8 and Final Four appearances EVERY year. I don't know of many other schools where fans feel the season is a disappointment if we only make a Sweet 16.

SLIGHT edge to KU with Allen Fieldhouse??? Very funny. AFH is considered by many sports analysts/coaches/fans outside of Lawrence to be the top venue in all of college bball. Jay Bilas calls it the Wrigley Field of the NCAA. Come to a game up here sometime and let me know what your opinion is of AFH then.

Your "last 30 years" stats only tell the number of Final Fours and NC's, but tell me what the winning % is like during that span. I have a feeling KU would blow UA away in this category.

JayhawkHog

I don't have all the statistics at hand right now--maybe jhawk730 will round them up in the meantime.  But I do know we have 49 conference titles (going for our 50th this year) in 100 years of conference play--currently tied with Kentucky for 1st in that category.  Of course, Florida has already clinched the SEC, so if we win out in our last three games we'll own that category outright.  I also know that we have 12 Final Four appearances--again, as with conference championships, double your total.  I would imagine we rank above you in every category, but I'll have to get back to you on that.     

jhawk730

Quote from: donewithdale on February 23, 2007, 04:49:37 pm
Quote from: JayhawkHog on February 23, 2007, 04:41:42 pm
I don't have all the statistics at hand right now--maybe jhawk730 will round them up in the meantime.  But I do know we have 49 conference titles (going for our 50th this year) in 100 years of conference play--currently tied with Kentucky for 1st in that category.  Of course, Florida has already clinched the SEC, so if we win out in our last three games we'll own that category outright.  I also know that we have 12 Final Four appearances--again, as with conference championships, double your total.  I would imagine we rank above you in every category, but I'll have to get back to you on that.    

What's your point?  Is a lack of reading comprehension common among Jayhawks?  I've already given you your credit and have not disputed your all time history and place in it.  Your buddy tried being a smartass to one of our posters who said over the last 25-30 years that things haven't been much different between the programs.  Please explain to me the gap between us in that timeframe.  Certainly not enough to call someone delusional.

I wasn't trying to be a smart-ass. Just giving my view of things. I wasn't paying much attention to the 25-30 year timeframe, but regardless, I still have a hard time seeing Arkansas as being a top 10 program. You can quote stats from the past 30 years, but to me that doesn't prove much as far as right now. Those programs I listed earlier are ones that I see as being ahead of UA currently. I'm not saying Arkansas can't be a good program or in the hunt once again, but they've apparently fallen on hard times over the past several years because they haven't made much noise down there since Corliss left. Once a program lies dormant for that length of time, it's difficult for outsiders to see you as a dominant team. It'll just take some time to rebuild that back up.

As far as UA threatening to steal Bill Self......not going to happen. He won't leave KU unless he's fired, as has been stated earlier. If I was Arkansas, I would be focusing on bringing in a really good young coach or an experienced coach who finds himself at a smaller school right now. I don't see Mark Few leaving Gonzaga either. He's a king there and one day will have an arena or court named after him. Maybe someone like Matt Doherty would be a good hire.

JayhawkHog

Sorry, donewithdale, you are correct; my reading comprehension did indeed leave something to be desired back there.  I was scanning the posts and misinterpreted your statement, "Give me that long list of programs that exceed this" as "Give me that long list of [accomplishments] that exceed this."

For what it's worth, the same ranking from Street & Smith's ("Greatest College Basketball Programs of All Time," published two years ago) that had Kansas in the fourth position placed Arkansas eighth.  The entire top ten went as follows:

1.  Kentucky
2.  UCLA
3.  North Carolina
4.  Kansas
5.  Duke
6.  Indiana
7.  Louisville
8.  Arkansas
9.  Connecticut
10.  Cincinnati

Street & Smith's used a complicated formula that looked at many different factors (which I can provide if you're interested).  The thrust of it was to look at the overall arc of a program's success, not just recent history.  By that measure, these experts agree with your placement of Arkansas basketball in the NCAA firmament as a top 10 program, looking at the entire history. 

I still don't think you're going to get Bill Self, however.

As to your wanting a comparison of the programs for the past 25 or 30 years, I can't give that to you without more research than I'm prepared to do.  All I can do is provide a general trajectory of the Kansas program for the past 30 years.  Ted Owens was our coach from 1964-1983.  During his last several seasons many wanted him fired, as the team was like a yo-yo, going from Final Four years or Big Eight championships to losing seasons and back again.  Owens managed to compile enough achievements to hang on, but his last two seasons were dreadful, and he got the boot.  So the first five years of the past 30 years were somewhat spotty, although we did win the Big Eight in '78 and go to the Sweet 16 in '81 (losing by a point to Wichita State). 

In 1983, Larry Brown came in, and things quickly got better.  We went to the Final Four in '86 and had probably the best team in the nation, but lost to Duke in the semis.  Sweet 16 the next year, and the national championship the year after that. 

Then Larry bolted, and Roy took over.  It's been a steady diet of NCAA appearances since his second year, '89, including four Final Fours--19 consecutive tournament appearances, including the last three under Bill Self.  We're the winningest program in the 1990s, and we've been consistently ranked near the top since about 1986--in other words, for 21 of the 25-30 years that you want to use as a yardstrick.  I find it hard to believe that Arkansas can match that level of prolonged excellence over that same period of time, although it did have some powerhouses in the late '70s when KU was suffering a little.       

JayhawkHog

donewithdale,

In honesty I hadn't realized before I saw the list that Arkansas was historically that high-ranking of a program.  Even so, I think it may be hard for you to attract a big-name coach--memories are short, and current circumstances matter more than historical laurels.  In a way, we lucked out in '88--even though we were coming off a national title, rumors were flying (which soon proved to be true) that the program would be slapped with probation (for some fairly minor infractions that had occurred under Brown with one bad apple of a recruit, who wound up not even playing for Kansas), and no one wanted to touch the job.  I think we approach Ohio State's Gary Williams, SW Missouri State's Charlie Spoonhour, put out feelers to Coach K at Duke, Dean Smith, and some others.  Everyone turned us down.  Roy was something like our sixth or seventh choice, but Dean Smith (a Kansas grad who was a reserve on the '52 national champs) pushed hard for Roy, saying he would make a great coach.  Roy had had other chances (Appalachian State or somewhere like that) but Dean was holding him back for the right job.  He clicked with Bob Frederick, our AD, and Bob made a great hire. 

My point is that we were a tradition-rich program coming off a national championship, and we got turned down flat by everyone and his brother.  Through the auspices of Dean Smith, we lucked into Roy, and he really solidified the program and placed it on sound footing again.

Even so, when Roy left, we were once again in turmoil, just as with Brown's departure.  Again, we were fresh off a national championship game (this time losing), but it was not a settled situation.  The AD, Al Bohl, was a total boob (and, more than anything, was the reason Roy chose to leave, after he had declined to take the Carolina job three years earlier, when Fredericks was still his AD).  Bohl was fired about a week before Roy left, but the damage had been done.  The interim AD was left with the task of trying to right the ship and make the hire.  Fortunately, KU knew exactly who it wanted for the job, and feelings were mutual--Self had a love for Kansas stemming from the year he had been a graduate assistant for Brown on the '85-86 Final Four team (his first job in coaching). 

My point is, we really lucked out twice in a row, in getting Roy and Bill.  (By the way, Self had been a finalist a few years earlier for the Missou job.  The Missouri AD chose the other finalist, Quinn Snyder.  We all know how that turned out.)  A lot of it is just luck.  You say we should give you more credit than to suggest hiring Doherty, yet Doherty was highly enough thought of to be Carolina's choice after Roy turned them down in 2000.  And I think Doherty has learned some lessons since then. 

Usually when coaches move from one major university to another, it's for very particular reasons.  Gary Williams went to Maryland because it was his alma mater.  Roy Wiliams for a combination of reasons--an insufferable AD, ailing family members back in No. Carolina, and strong feelings for his alma mater (the golf courses and the ocean didn't hurt, either).  Bill Self to Kansas because it was close to where he grew up and because of his love for the place.   

Self has had success every stop along the way--I think he was the first Big 10 coach ever to lead a team to the conference championship in each of his first two years there.  Of course, he had a great staff, including Gillespie and Norm Roberts, now the St. John's coach, and I'm sure that had a lot to do with it.  Some are making noises now that Gillespie, the pupil, is even better than Self, the master.  That remains to be seen, but what he has done at A&M is nothing short of amazing. 

This is the first year Self has really had his own team at Kansas, and we're starting to see the gears mesh.  We won't see a first-round exit this year. 

Good luck in your coaching search, if it comes about.  Maybe that radio host and his sources in the Arkansas athletic department know something I don't.  But I can't imagine Self leaving Kansas--certainly not now, not with the team he'll have coming back next year.  (Kansas doesn't have a single senior on its squad.)   

d1nonlyhogfan

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 21, 2007, 09:33:02 pm
                                    We have to move quick on this because the 2008 recruiting class is a must. even a blind man can see that this was never going to work. Stan is not ever going to make it here. and i said that two years ago. open the freaking checkbook and get a bigtime coach in here. give Stan the news after the next 3 games that it's over. and here are the guys i want us to talk too.
1.Bill self. Kansas
2.Billy Gillispie
This has to happen soon.enough is enough.
So you want us to possibly be buying out 3 coaches (including one of the Bills) at the same time, while paying a fat salary to the new head coach? Stan's issue has NEVER been recruiting, and this team, even under him will show improvement next season. It has happened every year for Heath's teams here. We lost our 3 top scorers from last season, yet we have still had some success this year. I look to win both home games remaining, and possibly to shock Vandy on the road. We might even squeak out a couple of SEC Tourney victories. If we finish with 20+ wins overall, there is no way that you can compare this to Nutt's 2 losing seasons.
"The man who complains about the way the ball bounces is likely the one who dropped it." -- Lou Holtz

"I have yet to be in a game where luck was involved. Well-prepared players make plays. I have yet to be in a game where the most prepared team didn't win." -- Urban Meyer

JayhawkHog

donewithdale,

in reference to your last post, are you saying that you tried to hire Self after his first or second season in Champaign-Urbana to come to UA but Illinois bettered your offer and he stayed?  You know my reading comprehension is subpar (!), but that's what I take from your post, since I think he spent three seasons at Illinois and then we hired him.  What strikes me as odd is, I would think it would be extremely hard for Self to leave a position after only a season or two.  Doherty looked bad jumping Notre Dame after only on year, but he was cut some slack because Carolina was his alma mater and a once-in-a-lifetime dream job offer (that turned into a nightmare).  Matta I think wanted to jump to Indiana (HIS dream job) after a year at OSU, but he just couldn't do it, especially after signing the nation's number-one recruiting class for the Buckeyes. 

As it was, a Peoria sportswriter who was close to Self reported on what an agonizing decision it was for him to leave Illinois after three seasons.  I'm not doubting your version of events; it just strikes me as curious that he would entertain an offer from UA one or two seasons into his gig at Illinois.   

As far as Self's contract, which was renegotiated last November or December, I don't have the details at the moment (I'd have to look back in the archive of stories at kusports.com) but I think it's pretty ironclad.  Lew Perkins, our AD now, is no dummy.  If you're going to buy him out, be prepared to tunnel into Fort Knox. 

dp14

razorbrock

February 24, 2007, 05:49:12 pm #88 Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 05:58:45 pm by razorbrock
Quote from: jhawk730 on February 23, 2007, 03:19:36 pm

Surely you jest.......

Wrong..........

First of all, opinions are neither right nor wrong.  Secondly, I've been to Kansas--I'm definitely not wrong.

jrhawk730, by reading your additional posts (something too many posters fail to do) I see that you've already cooled your jets, so I'll take the high road and not stoop to the level you did above.  I will reiterate though that MY opinion (and first-hand knowledge) of Arkansas basketball places them on equal footing with Kansas over the past 3 decades.  My opinion is neither right nor wrong--it's simply my opinion.  This board flows a lot smoother when people realize that and keep their posts focused on the topic of discussion.
"I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle." ~Winston Churchill

jimmur74

BYE BYE STANIE   "The new adapted version from the classic BYE BYE Birdie, coming to a theatre near you.

razorbrock

February 24, 2007, 05:52:36 pm #90 Last Edit: February 24, 2007, 05:58:02 pm by razorbrock
Quote from: opineonswine on February 24, 2007, 05:50:50 pm
Quote from: John Wesley Hardin on February 23, 2007, 05:20:49 pm
Not having an AD and all of the TURMOIL and NEGATIVE PUBLICITY will mak it IMPOSSIBLE to hire a BIG TIME COACH in any SPORT! Nutt must go for THE HEALING to begin.

Gillespie will not leave A&M for Arkansas. A bidding war for him would not work in our favor. We are presently in 'THE HAS BEEN CATEGORY.'

We will have an AD shortly.

want to humor us with a "wild guess" as to who the new AD could be?  i promise, it will stay between us and our 20,000 hogville friends.

SultanofSwine

razorbrock

Quote from: SultanofSwine on February 24, 2007, 06:17:15 pm
Rick Majerus isn't coaching right now is he?

that would be totally awesome as long as he dedicated himself to recruiting--not saying he didn't before--i just know he's been on the sidelines for a while

Tone

Quote from: SultanofSwine on February 24, 2007, 06:17:15 pm
Rick Majerus isn't coaching right now is he?

Too old, too sick and too far away from mommy.  He still lives with her doesn't he?

passinghog

Folks, the search for a new basketball coach at Arkansas should START with ONE name, and the rest should be a notch below: RICK PITINO.

People want to complain about the style of basketball that is played with Stan Heath, well there will be the same, if not more complaints with Gillespie; That style of play is almost unwatchable.

If Arkansas is supposed to play an up-tempo, trapping, pressing style of play....then Rick Pitino MUST be the guy.

Reasons why he may come to Arkansas:
1. Winning @ Louisville has become more difficult than he initially percieved when he first took the job; the Big East basketball has become the SEC of football.
2. The SEC west is not a hard division to win in, it is actually waiting for the right guy, at the right program, to take control. Arkansas is that program and Rick Pitino is THAT GUY
3. He has the a lot of respect for the program, he understands the tradition of Arkansas, having coached against us many times.
4. I believe he has always wanted to coach here, with his respect for Coach Richardson and his style of basketball, and sees the potential (more than Louisville) to bring this program back to the elite.
5. There is really no other place to go, Pitino will not go to the NBA, he knows his place and it is in college. He has also already coached at one the 3 great programs, Kentucky; Arkansas will not be a stepping stone.

Say what you may, but with Pitino here next year, he will big with this same exact roster, bank on it.
Open up the checkbook and we all have THE BEST MAN for the job, Rick Pitino.

hogbud

Travis Ford at UMASS..........the next Billy Donovan.   

razorback_fanatic

"You know what?  It's mentality like this that is the reason we have Houston Nutt"

Yeah, Id much rather have Danny Ford or Jack Crowe, the football programs really gone down since those glory days!

94 Hawg

Quote from: passinghog on February 24, 2007, 09:31:38 pm
Folks, the search for a new basketball coach at Arkansas should START with ONE name, and the rest should be a notch below: RICK PITINO.

People want to complain about the style of basketball that is played with Stan Heath, well there will be the same, if not more complaints with Gillespie; That style of play is almost unwatchable.

If Arkansas is supposed to play an up-tempo, trapping, pressing style of play....then Rick Pitino MUST be the guy.

Reasons why he may come to Arkansas:
1. Winning @ Louisville has become more difficult than he initially percieved when he first took the job; the Big East basketball has become the SEC of football.
2. The SEC west is not a hard division to win in, it is actually waiting for the right guy, at the right program, to take control. Arkansas is that program and Rick Pitino is THAT GUY
3. He has the a lot of respect for the program, he understands the tradition of Arkansas, having coached against us many times.
4. I believe he has always wanted to coach here, with his respect for Coach Richardson and his style of basketball, and sees the potential (more than Louisville) to bring this program back to the elite.
5. There is really no other place to go, Pitino will not go to the NBA, he knows his place and it is in college. He has also already coached at one the 3 great programs, Kentucky; Arkansas will not be a stepping stone.

Say what you may, but with Pitino here next year, he will big with this same exact roster, bank on it.
Open up the checkbook and we all have THE BEST MAN for the job, Rick Pitino.
sounds good to me, and Rick may jump at the chance to get back in the SEC
Be thankful we're not getting all the government we're paying for.
~ Will Rogers

dfresh

Quote from: hogbud on February 24, 2007, 11:06:20 pm
Travis Ford at UMASS..........the next Billy Donovan.   

How has Travis been doing at UMASS?  I loved watching him play at Kentucky, just not sure how good of a coach he is.