Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The SEC

Started by Hawghiggs, October 02, 2017, 10:08:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jcbville

Couple of quotes from volnation to brighten your day lol...

"Butch Jones skis in jeans."

"Butch Jones has a Blockbuster card."

Swestwill66

Mediocre coaches and in some cases replacing mediocre with awful coaches! ( Ed Orgeron, odom)

GoHogs1091

Several factors.

Other than Saban, the rest of the head coaching is mediocre.

The Quarterback play as a whole across the SEC is subpar.

The Defensive Line play as a whole across the SEC is not what it used to be.  Associated with this aspect is the so-so Offensive Line play across the conference that can't consistently take advantage of there being lower level Defensive Line play across the conference.

There are no bonafide elite Running Backs in the SEC. 

The rise of 3 football programs, Clemson, Ohio State, and Michigan, has watered down the talent across the SEC.  Elite High School talent knows that they can go to one of those 3 programs and receive better coaching than in the SEC (other than Saban's coaching).

ShadowHawg

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 03, 2017, 07:13:28 pm
Several factors.

Other than Saban, the rest of the head coaching is mediocre.

The Quarterback play as a whole across the SEC is subpar.

The Defensive Line play as a whole across the SEC is not what it used to be.  Associated with this aspect is the so-so Offensive Line play across the conference that can't consistently take advantage of there being lower level Defensive Line play across the conference.

There are no bonafide elite Running Backs in the SEC. 

The rise of 3 football programs, Clemson, Ohio State, and Michigan, has watered down the talent across the SEC.  Elite High School talent knows that they can go to one of those 3 programs and receive better coaching than in the SEC (other than Saban's coaching).

Lol

Ohio State was fine during the sec title domination. The Big XII was much better also.

Michigan is one team! They aren't going to bring down a whole conference.

Clemson was recruiting at a high level.

It's bad coaching hires.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: ShadowHawg on October 03, 2017, 07:23:25 pm
Lol

Ohio State was fine during the sec title domination. The Big XII was much better also.

Michigan is one team! They aren't going to bring down a whole conference.

Clemson was recruiting at a high level.

It's bad coaching hires.

Ohio State and Michigan didn't get as much elite talent until Meyer and Harbaugh were hired.

Clemson recruited well in the past, but their recruiting went to a higher level after they hired Venables.

There is only so much elite High School talent available, and those 3 programs now get more of it than they used to.

The SEC is basically a shell of its former self.

TebowHater

100% was conference expansion. There are a fixed number of kids in the south and/or a fixed number of star athletes who are only going to go to an SEC school.

Have you ever had your fantasy league expand from 12 to 14 teams? What happened to the quality of your team

Swestwill66

Saban great Coach! Great recruiting!
L.S.U great recruiting, could match Bama. Difference, coach.
Auburn, great recruiting, could match Bama. Difference, coach.
Florida, great recruiting, could match bama, difference,coach.
Tennessee, great recruiting, could match bama,difference, coach.
aTm,great recruiting,could match bama,difference, coach.
Georgia, great recruiting, could match Bama and may do it in the next couple of years. Coach is Saban disciple.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: TebowHater on October 03, 2017, 07:57:50 pm
100% was conference expansion. There are a fixed number of kids in the south and/or a fixed number of star athletes who are only going to go to an SEC school.

Have you ever had your fantasy league expand from 12 to 14 teams? What happened to the quality of your team

So Mizzou has leached all the talent? A&M pretty much works Texas for theirs.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 02, 2017, 10:08:44 pm
What has caused the SEC to decline? Was it the college football playoff?

Quality of coaching has dropped dramatically.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Hawghiggs

Think the playoff was designed to limit how many teams got a chance at a national title from any given conference. Alabama and Saban have changed the perception of the conference, and eroded what little chance smaller programs in the SEC will ever have. Now only 5 of the 14 programs in the SEC actually have a chance to play for a National title. Those program's are  1, Alabama. 2, Florida. 3,Georgia. 4, LSU. 5, Texas A&M. Now Auburn and Tennessee can still have strong programs. But with limited recruiting base. Getting the only CFP slot is out of reach.  For the other 9 programs in the SEC. We have become nothing more than scheduling fodder.

WilsonHog

Check out this stat from Chris Low:

"In the last 35 head coaching hires in the SEC, there have only been 3 sitting head coaches from power five schools hired."

In comparison with other conferences, "None of the others have hired a ton, but the SEC has hired fewer of those guys in that span than anybody."

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 03, 2017, 08:50:06 pm
Check out this stat from Chris Low:

"In the last 35 head coaching hires in the SEC, there have only been 3 sitting head coaches from power five schools hired."

Means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.
This is my non-signature signature.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 03, 2017, 08:51:55 pm
Means absolutely nothing in the grand scheme of things.

What it means is you'd better have one of two things: (1) an AD astute at identifying coaching talent; or (b) a whole lot of luck.

ChicoHog

I don't know if it's so much bad coaching as it is  Saban makes other coaches look bad.  Bielema  did fine at Wisconsin.  Jones was good at Cincinnati and CMU.   McElwain was good at CSU.  I just think the Bama power with Saban has made the other teams worse and their coaches look worse than they really are.  I bet if you brought in just about any other coaches from any other teams except the elite few it would not change anything. Why would someone want to coach against Saban?  it drove Meyer out. 

From Tusk Till Dawn

I agree with the coaching part, the pressure from the fanbase is immense.  For example, most are critical of LSU for firing miles who averaged 9 wins and wasnt saban yet we are ready to do the same with Bielema essentially for not being miles.  Everyone in the sec cant have 9-10 win seasons every year but every fan base expects it.  I believe theres more patience at non power 5 schools and similar to basketball & smaller schools the teams are together longer, so they gel over time because the nfl isnt robbing them of talent in year 2 or 3.  Peterson at boise comes to mind.  He was in no hurry to take a bigger job and had offers from many.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 03, 2017, 08:54:39 pm
What it means is you'd better have one of two things: (1) an AD astute at identifying coaching talent; or (b) a whole lot of luck.

A whole lot of luck seems more likely.

Saban wasn't exactly a world beater at Michigan State.

6–5–1
6–6
7–5
6–6
9–2

Only finished higher than 5th in the B1G one time. 

WilsonHog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 03, 2017, 10:47:13 pm
A whole lot of luck seems more likely.

Saban wasn't exactly a world beater at Michigan State.

6–5–1
6–6
7–5
6–6
9–2

Only finished higher than 5th in the B1G one time.

Which is probably the best evidence I have ever seen for the proposition that success is more about the players than anything else. For all the talk about Saban's "process," it obviously is more effective when he has the best players in his locker room.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: WilsonHog on October 03, 2017, 10:50:48 pm
Which is probably the best evidence I have ever seen for the proposition that success is more about the players than anything else. For all the talk about Saban's "process," it obviously is more effective when he has the best players in his locker room.

Yup.

We can probably agree that * rankings are about measurables and offers. Even on the OL that seems to be the truth. Rarely do you see a pro-style offense in High School, so you will have to coach up the talent that you can find. But measurables already existing sure help in the process of development.

George S. Pigton

Nick Saban, Nick Saban, Nick Saban

His success lead to the popularity, popularity lead to money and other big coaches being hired to compete with Nick.

That was found to be impossible, great coaches run off and less than coaches hired to replace.

I also have to think that for some reason, QB play in the age of High School QB's running spreads has hurt the ability
of College Coaches finding QB's that can run actual offenses other than a spread.  Coaches do not teach linemen and QB's
how to play from under center, thus the overall effectiveness of QB play is down. 

\\\"No Bastard ever won a war by dying for his country.  He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country\\\"

depressed_fan

Quote from: Hawghiggs on October 02, 2017, 10:08:44 pm
What has caused the SEC to decline? Was it the college football playoff?

I don't think it was the college football play off. I think it starts with social media age and too many fans having unrealistic expectations. Players don't seem to care as much as they used too. The coaches in the conference right now are way under experienced then they were around 2003.  The SEC has been in a steady decline since then.

Think back when Phil Fulmer, Lou Holtz, Mark Riecht, Steve Spurrier, Jackie Sherril, Tommy Tuberville, David Cutcliff, Rich Brooks, and HDN were all in the league. Back then it was Alabama going through mediocre coaches like Shula. All future hall of fame coaches with the exception of HDN, who'll end up in Arkansas hall of fame.  Then there was some musical chairs with some other good coaches like Spurrier recycling to SC, Urban Meyer, Les Miles, Dan Mullen having some good years.

For the most part, the coaches now stay on the hot seat, the players don't care as much, not as many High School boys are playing football, and the ones who are , are just trying to get to the NFL.  The coaches know they can't please the fans. They get their big contract, they know they are set for life, and they just go through the motions with players who probably don't care if they win or lose.