Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Norvell

Started by snoot hoggy hog, September 16, 2017, 01:03:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Boardon Hamsay

I like a good peach cobbler.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

elksnort

Hid team's offense looks good.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

Won't be at Memphis long.
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

snoot hoggy hog

Nope, hopefully he's not another good one that wants to come to Arkansas but we pass on.

sickboy

The Hogfather

Jury's still out.  He didn't build that program to where it is now and he did ok in his 1st year.  Nothing special.  UCLA is nothing special this year, despite overhyped Rosen.  If we're going to make a play for an ex-Memphis coach, it should be Fuente.

sickboy

As a side note... I always thought Novell was older. Had no idea he was 35. If that's what he looks like after a few assistant gigs and a HC gig at Memphis, he'd look like the crypt keeper after coaching at Arkansas.

ZERO

He's gone gray prematurely, it makes him look a lot older. Other than that, he looks like he's in his 30's.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

247Hog

If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

rtr

Has said Arkansas is his dream job.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

sickboy

Quote from: ZERO on September 16, 2017, 01:52:16 pm
He's gone gray prematurely, it makes him look a lot older. Other than that, he looks like he's in his 30's.

Yeah, I see it now. I just never paid attention. Saw the gray and assumed he was in his 40's.

theFlyingHog

Didn't know I'd met him in the past. I worked UCAs charter flights in 05 when they made the playoffs, had a lot of fun meeting all the guys. The coaches were super nice as well.

He may be our guy after BB gets canned at the end of next season

PLHawg

Quote from: snoot hoggy hog on September 16, 2017, 01:03:36 pm
I like
[/quote

Guarantee he'd bring excitement and put points on the board.  Their defense played aggressively and made plays when they had to.    We wouldn't have beat UCLA.

tasteslikechicken

Pecos Hog

How much $ is he making?   What's his buyout?

Tusks

Mike needs to start writing Jeff his love letters.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Tusks

Quote from: Pecos Hog on September 16, 2017, 03:20:24 pm
How much $ is he making?   What's his buyout?

$1M/season.  Don't know about buyout.

rtr

I saw a coach with courage out there, going for the win continually.  Not playing to lose.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

The Great Hambino

So through transitive property of him beating UCLA and UCLA beating aTm, if aTm beats us, the fan base will clamor for him to be hired.

rhames

Hope someone doesn't snag him up before we have a chance.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Pecos Hog

Quote from: The Great Hambino on September 16, 2017, 03:22:01 pm
So through transitive property of him beating UCLA and UCLA beating aTm, if aTm beats us, the fan base will clamor for him to be hired.

Looks like a winner to me.   Dont need to be so complicated to figure out.     

BroyledNutts

Can he recruit at an SEC level and get them to campus?

The Great Hambino

Quote from: Pecos Hog on September 16, 2017, 03:24:26 pm
Looks like a winner to me.   Dont need to be so complicated to figure out.     

I'd like to see how he does through a few more games, but as his point he is still #3 on my list, and I'd go for Jeff Brohm before Norvell, after I make Chip Kelly turn down our top 5 program kind of money offer.

tasteslikechicken

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: tasteslikechicken on September 16, 2017, 03:49:02 pm
Wife is from Ft Smith.

Sign him TF up.

I can't handle this darn show anymore.
This is my non-signature signature.

sickboy

Quote from: The Great Hambino on September 16, 2017, 03:22:01 pm

Every fan base in America clamors for the up and coming coach from a small conference who upsets bigger teams. The problem is, one in a million of those coaches turn out to be elite coaches who can lead a power SEC program. Urban Meyer is the last coach who I can remember that actually turned out to be that coach. Can't name another one in recent memory.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: sickboy on September 16, 2017, 04:06:47 pm
Every fan base in America clamors for the up and coming coach from a small conference who upsets bigger teams. The problem is, one in a million of those coaches turn out to be elite coaches who can lead a power SEC program. Urban Meyer is the last coach who I can remember that actually turned out to be that coach. Can't name another one in recent memory.

How about Nick Saban or Chris Peterson or Jim haurgbaugh there is a long list of them. A lot of the good coaches today were up and comers at one point in their careers.
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

PLHawg

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on September 16, 2017, 04:12:01 pm
How about Nick Saban or Chris Peterson or Jim haurgbaugh there is a long list of them. A lot of the good coaches today were up and comers at one point in their careers.

Come to think about it all good coaches were at one time we're up and comers.

Tusks

Quote from: sickboy on September 16, 2017, 04:06:47 pm

But if you don't have a BP fall in your lap, you gotta try.

Tusks

Purdue this season, 12 trips into the redone with 9 TD and 3 FG

tophawg19

Jeff Brohm is looking very good against Mizzou . Think BP without the issues and looks like he knows defense too
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

forrest city joe

Quote from: tusked on September 16, 2017, 04:18:05 pm
Purdue this season, 12 trips into the redone with 9 TD and 3 FG
And they don't out recruit Arkansas. not even close.a lot of our problems is coaching,not lack of talent.

ChicoHog

Brohm looks like a big winner so far but would he leave Purdue after one year?  Maybe.  I don't think it will matter unless Bielema goes 4-8.  I like him but I am ready for a dual threat QB.  I want someone who can make a play with their legs when everything breaks down.  Such an advantage. 

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: ChicoHog on September 16, 2017, 04:22:00 pm
Brohm looks like a big winner so far but would he leave Purdue after one year?  Maybe.  I don't think it will matter unless Bielema goes 4-8.  I like him but I am ready for a dual threat QB.  I want someone who can make a play with their legs when everything breaks down.  Such an advantage. 

Coaching. Need coaching. Dual threat qb can only do so much behind a crap line before he is sitting on a bench from being injured. 

The Great Hambino

Quote from: ChicoHog on September 16, 2017, 04:22:00 pm

of course he would leave Purdue after 1 season to come to the SEC. he is bobby's guy so he'd probably consult with petrino about coming here. That could be a bad thing or it could be a good thing. He will end up coaching Tennessee or Florida next season if someone else doesn't scoop him up first. 

sickboy

Quote from: HiggiePiggy on September 16, 2017, 04:12:01 pm

I'm talking about up and comers who make the jump from a small school after a couple years of success. Those are guys you take a risk on and most of the time they don't pan out.

Harbaugh, definitely was. He proved himself at San Diego and made the jump after a big turnaround for that school. Saban had already led a Big 10 school before taking on the SEC and Chris Peterson wasn't an up and coming coach when he moved to Wash. He was one of the top coaches in college football and had built Boise State into a national program. Saban and Peterson weren't up and comers after Michigan State and Boise State. They were the equivalent of a Bielema.

Brian Kelly was supposed to be the next Urban Meyer or Harbaugh. Didn't pan out. Who else?

ZERO

Quote from: PLHawg on September 16, 2017, 04:16:25 pm

Come to think about it all good coaches were at one time we're up and comers.

Some coaches get hired with no previous D1 HC experience. Bob Stoops was one of them, I'm pretty sure.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: sickboy on September 16, 2017, 04:34:24 pm
I'm talking about up and comers who make the jump from a small school after a couple years of success. Those are guys you take a risk on and most of the time they don't pan out.

Harbaugh, definitely was. He proved himself at San Diego and made the jump after a big turnaround for that school. Saban had already led a Big 10 school before taking on the SEC and Chris Peterson wasn't an up and coming coach when he moved to Wash. He was one of the top coaches in college football and had built Boise State into a national program. Saban and Peterson weren't up and comers after Michigan State and Boise State. They were the equivalent of a Bielema.

Brian Kelly was supposed to be the next Urban Meyer or Harbaugh. Didn't pan out. Who else?

Saban didn't start at Michigan state.  His first coaching job was Toledo.

RazorPiggie

twistitup

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 18, 2017, 09:40:24 am
Where is Norvell from?

Don't know...possibly Arkansas? He attended UCA

Norvell attended the University of Central Arkansas from 2001–2005, where he played wide receiver and set the school's all-time reception record. He finished with 213 pass receptions for 2,611 yards and 15 receiving touchdowns, 1 rushing touchdown, and 2 passing touchdowns during his career. [4] [5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Norvell
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Tortfeasor

How many times have you seen a coach take over a program that was built up and started to win and said coach keeps winning? Happens a lot. Now, how many times have seen same said coach move on and show he is an average coach at best? Happens a lot. Most recent in my memory is Butch Jones.

Ironhawg

Quote from: Tortfeasor on September 18, 2017, 09:44:15 am
How many times have you seen a coach take over a program that was built up and started to win and said coach keeps winning? Happens a lot. Now, how many times have seen same said coach move on and show he is an average coach at best? Happens a lot. Most recent in my memory is Butch Jones.

I am kind of surprised by Butch Jones' struggles at Tennessee.  He was successful at Central Michigan and Cincinnati.  He started rough at Tenner but had back-to-back 9-4 seasons his last two. 

RazorPiggie

Quote from: twistitup on September 18, 2017, 09:44:10 am

Don't know...possibly Arkansas? He attended UCA

Norvell attended the University of Central Arkansas from 2001–2005, where he played wide receiver and set the school's all-time reception record. He finished with 213 pass receptions for 2,611 yards and 15 receiving touchdowns, 1 rushing touchdown, and 2 passing touchdowns during his career. [4] [5]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Norvell

I googled him and couldn't find anything. Hence why I asked the question.

edit: He lived in Irving when he was around 8. Looks like he stayed in the DFW area.

twistitup

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 18, 2017, 10:08:45 am
I googled him and couldn't find anything. Hence why I asked the question.

Let's just say he was born in Fayetteville

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: Ironhawg on September 18, 2017, 10:06:01 am
I am kind of surprised by Butch Jones' struggles at Tennessee.  He was successful at Central Michigan and Cincinnati.  He started rough at Tenner but had back-to-back 9-4 seasons his last two. 
He was riding Brian Kelly's coattails at both places.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

HogFaninMemphis

Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

twistitup

hawgon

It would be hard to find a guy who fits what we need here better than Norvell. 

Tusks

I think he should be the front runner. 

Mike, stay focused and don't let Memphis slip up, you can get the job if you keep winning.