Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Hog Zone, Jim Harris

Started by Großer Kriegschwein, October 03, 2017, 10:11:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 04, 2017, 11:12:06 am
AU was an original member of the SEC when it was formed in 1932.  Not a comparable situation to what A St is.

Like many of us, I had family and friends who attended A St.  Went to countless events including football and basketball games.  I've tried the last several years to maintain my soft spot for them but it just isn't there anymore due to this faction's behavior.   Jealousy is strong.

I am a ASU grad, and I wish they had stayed 1aa ( now fcs ). They are just another program pretending to be FBS level.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: factchecker on October 04, 2017, 11:37:40 am
Which makes our stance great.  Let them scream, kick, and cry. Ignore them.

Ignore them...... and occasionally laugh at their pettiness:

Side note: They ended up leaving the Razorback  Punch on the menu after an outcry from Razorback fans.

MTBrookHog

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on October 04, 2017, 09:16:16 am
No one is scared of playing them. There's legitimately no benefit in playing them.

I'm also not sure you understand how conferences and divisions work in regards to scheduling.
Then please explain the legitimacy in playing all the other Sun Belt teams.

factchecker

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on October 04, 2017, 11:43:00 am
Side note: They ended up leaving the Razorback  Punch on the menu after an outcry from Razorback fans.

The Razorback fans and rep pup fans need to play a game in jonesboro's stadium.  They can call it the Punch Bowl.

Whoever wins keeps their punch on the menu.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

navyhog24

Quote from: lasthog on October 03, 2017, 11:37:27 pm
Hey, I was hoping it would inspire the GIF Masters to make an appearance.

311Hog

Quote from: MTBrookHog on October 04, 2017, 11:45:40 am
rent-a-wins

notsureifserious

TrueBlue

Exactly.

NO ONE can argue this point. The only ones that hold onto the "what do we have to gain by playing A-State?" are the left-overs from the Frank Broyles mentality - they are too scared they will lose the fan base.

I guess by that reasoning, we have lost fans to ULM, Toledo, Citadel, etc....   

If you are not scared, then add the local "cupcake".

KlubhouseKonnected

So no benefit.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

311Hog

Quote from: TrueBlue on October 04, 2017, 11:51:41 am
Exactly.

NO ONE can argue this point. The only ones that hold onto the "what do we have to gain by playing A-State?" are the left-overs from the Frank Broyles mentality - they are too scared they will lose the fan base.

Im sorry but you have to be dense to believe this.

I mean you answered your own question.  The UofA books these teams because they mean nothing to the state of Arkansas.  The tiny fan base of the Citadel isn't going to camp out on Hogville for an eternity because they won a game back in the 90's i can promise you if that was ASU we would still be hearing about it.
There are no big money boosters backing the Citadel or at risk of changing allegiances etc. so many reasons i do not even have time to explain them all, it is what you would call "common sense".

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: TrueBlue on October 04, 2017, 11:51:41 am
Exactly.

Broyles was about gaining/winning.  Gaining as much support as possible and keeping it as in those days the UA had to have it.  So he kept the UA's policy in place.  Times have changed. 

Not much for the UA to gain or lose IMO.  UA enrollment is nearly twice that of ASU - 27K(23 UG) to 14K ASU.  Much of the growth has come from out of state expanding our alumni base and thus support.  We have SEC money coming in.  Playing ASU now doesn't come with the risks it did when Broyles continued the Hogs' policy started before he came to Arkansas.

I don't want to see the game even if in RRS.  Non starter for me to even discuss WMS.  Has nothing to do with gaining or losing anything. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

chiti66

Georgia plays GTech.....and Georgia Southern.  They have played GSU 6 times since 1992....and won all 6 times.  I am all for a UA/ASU game, think it could do a lot for the fans (some fans).

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/team-news/georgia-georgia-southern-series-not-for-awhile

factchecker

I'd rather play nothing but P5 teams.

I don't think it's feasible with scheduling and money but there are plenty of local P5 teams (Oklahoma, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State.... etc.) to where we could play nothing but P5 schools.

We should at least try and eliminate scheduling FCS and Sunbelt schools.

If we are going to play G5 programs they need to be from the AAC.  Memphis, SMU, Tulsa, and Houston are all good programs we should play more often.  The best part about those programs is that we could schedule games across multiple sports and get good series.  All of those schools play football and basketball at a respectable level.  jonesboro state ..... not so much.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

311Hog

Quote from: chiti66 on October 04, 2017, 12:00:14 pm
Georgia plays GTech.....and Georgia Southern.  They have played GSU 6 times since 1992....and won all 6 times.  I am all for a UA/ASU game, think it could do a lot for the fans (some fans).

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/team-news/georgia-georgia-southern-series-not-for-awhile

Small problem here is that more people live in Atlanta then the entire state of Arkansas.

311Hog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 04, 2017, 11:58:56 am
Broyles was about gaining/winning.  Gaining as much support as possible and keeping it as in those days the UA had to have it.  So he kept the UA's policy in place.  Times have changed. 

Not much for the UA to gain or lose IMO.  UA enrollment is nearly twice that of ASU - 27K(23 UG) to 14K ASU.  Much of the growth has come from out of state expanding our alumni base and thus support.  We have SEC money coming in.  Playing ASU now doesn't come with the risks it did when Broyles continued the Hogs' policy started before he came to Arkansas.

I don't want to see the game even if in RRS.  Non starter for me to even discuss WMS.  Has nothing to do with gaining or losing anything. 

there are still not enough resources in the state to support 2 legit P5 schools.

East Clintwood

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on October 03, 2017, 10:11:43 pm
.  .  .

Jim Harris, "There's an opening at Nebraska that Jeff Long needs to check in to."

Bruh

That much I agree with.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: chiti66 on October 04, 2017, 12:00:14 pm

What would it do for them?

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: factchecker on October 04, 2017, 12:00:50 pm
I'd rather play nothing but P5 teams.

I don't think it's feasible with scheduling and money but there are plenty of local P5 teams (Oklahoma, Kansas, Kansas State, Oklahoma State.... etc.) to where we could play nothing but P5 schools.

We should at least try and eliminate scheduling FCS and Sunbelt schools.

If we are going to play G5 programs they need to be from the AAC.  Memphis, SMU, Tulsa, and Houston are all good programs we should play more often.  The best part about those programs is that we could schedule games across multiple sports and get good series.  All of those schools play football and basketball at a respectable level.  jonesboro state ..... not so much.

I'm good with the weeks "off" these games usually bring.  At least 2 a year of FCS and lowest level FBS is good with me.  Too much of a mental and physical toll and limited practice time to put more on an Arkansas team.  No reason to do so and until required by the SEC or NCAA for some reason. 

I do like the Col St addition and would like to see more of these kinds of trips for our 3rd or 4th OOC game along with the previously discussed occasional neutral site brand builder. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Piggfoot

Forget about WMS. Play the game in Fayetteville. Pay ASU for their travel. Pay UofA for their Stadium Expenses and Concessions. Issue a special tax deductible ticket.
Pay the UofA and Ark St a nominal playing expense. Use the tax deductible portion of the ticket to support Arkansas Childrens Hospital both in Fayetteville And Little Rock.
Donate 500 to 1000 tickets to Arkansas public schools to take Students to the game.
Make it an afternoon game.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: 311Hog on October 04, 2017, 12:02:59 pm
there are still not enough resources in the state to support 2 legit P5 schools.

It won't be split evenly.  Not concerned it would ever be.  I could see football being banned before the time came A St support inside Arkansas would be detrimental to the Hogs football program. 

KlubhouseKonnected

If a game with A State offered the University of Arkansas anything it wanted that it could not get more easily from another vendor then it would happen. But as evidenced by three pages of this thread, A State has yet to present any such incentive to the University.

RME

Did I ever say there was a legitimate reason to play other Sun Belt teams?

hogsanity

Quote from: 311Hog on October 04, 2017, 12:01:24 pm
Small problem here is that more people live in Atlanta then the entire state of Arkansas.

and G-Tech is also in a p5 league.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

hogsanity

In the year 2100 i Can predict the 3 most active threads on Hogville will be a GSD/ASu debate. a HDn thread, and a Long did not have to fire Bp thread.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on October 04, 2017, 11:04:19 am
Ok, I can buy this.  It's all about perception at that point. I still believe that if an in-state recruit had to choose between Hogs or Red Wolves they would choose Hogs solely based on overall aesthetics, resources available, better football facilities, more television time, and a chance to play in the SEC vice Sun Belt.  JMO

I think the biggest effect it would have in recruiting would be on Arkansas's ability to take a "wait and see" or "slow play" approach to making scholarship offers with in-state recruits that are not clear studs.

It saying it would have a large effect but, particularly if Arkansas regularly played State, it would allow State to go after those same guys with a pitch based around U of A not thinking the player is good enough and if you come here you can show them how wrong they are in our game against them type stuff.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: phadedhawg on October 04, 2017, 11:32:59 am
If getting rid of Jeff Long is all it took to get ASU on the schedule then lets do it!  I am among the group who aren't yelling for his head but carrying on Frank's antiquated notion of who the UA is too good to play is a black mark on his administration. 

A black mark how and in the eyes of whom?

hogsanity

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on October 04, 2017, 12:25:32 pm

the 4 people who keep this going on hogville because they only know how to pats about playing ASU and Jeff Long.

wonder how busy Hogville would be if all mentions of ASU/ Little Rock games, HDN, and BP were banned.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on October 04, 2017, 10:08:12 am
Why would you deny another 20,000+ the opportunity to watch the game?

You are assuming either a one-off contract or that an annual game would be played in Fayetteville every year.  ASU might agree to one game in Fayetteville without return, but it isn't likely to agree to a game there every year.  Home-and-home would be the scenario.  If we are talking hypotheticals, the sum of DWRRS and Centennial Stadium is almost exactly the same as twice the capacity of WMS.  In other words, an annual game in Little Rock would allow almost exactly the same number of fans to attend the game over time as a home-and-home series.

The truth is that an annual ASU-UA matchup in Little Rock would be good for Arkansas and Arkansas football as a whole.  However, UA has little incentive to schedule the series and plenty to lose.  I've posted numbers many times for the schools' endowments.  UA's is ten times ASU's. By contrast, Ole Miss's endowment is only about 1.3 times Mississippi State's. What might that say about football being the front porch of a university - especially large flagship universities?

The only possible benefit to Arkansas of an annual game in Little Rock is the hope that such a game might improve high school football in an area that is underproducing at historic levels.  The potential there is too tenuous to outweigh the risk of diminished statewide support. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: hogsanity on October 04, 2017, 12:30:37 pm
the 4 people who keep this going on hogville because they only know how to pats about playing ASU and Jeff Long.

wonder how busy Hogville would be if all mentions of ASU/ Little Rock games, HDN, and BP were banned.

it would make for a very boring day hogsanity

chiti66

Quote from: Piggfoot on October 04, 2017, 12:08:16 pm
Forget about WMS. Play the game in Fayetteville. Pay ASU for their travel. Pay UofA for their Stadium Expenses and Concessions. Issue a special tax deductible ticket.
Pay the UofA and Ark St a nominal playing expense. Use the tax deductible portion of the ticket to support Arkansas Childrens Hospital both in Fayetteville And Little Rock.
Donate 500 to 1000 tickets to Arkansas public schools to take Students to the game.
Make it an afternoon game.

All in!!!

ricepig

Quote from: factchecker on October 04, 2017, 11:03:00 am
I think most (80%) of Hog fans support and want jonesboro state to do well.  It's the exact opposite with their fans.

If Hog fans truly knew how envious and nasty the red pup fans are they would change their mind fast.

Their fans have made fun of Canaan Sandy and had a horrible thread saying good riddance when Frank Broyles died.

They even trashed their own QB, Freddi Knighten, when he tweeted support for the Razorbacks in the Texas Bowl.  #WeHogs

Nah, they have message board warriors just as we do. I live in Jonesboro, lots of vehicles with both emblems on them. I passed numerous cars coming up for the TCU game that had an ASU license plate or sticker in the back that had a car full of people with Hog shirts on. Also, we can't play, there are countless front license plates that have the "House Divided" with both schools, just think how high the divorce rate would go up if they played.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 04, 2017, 12:45:01 pm

The only possible benefit to Arkansas of an annual game in Little Rock is the hope that such a game might improve high school football in an area that is underproducing at historic levels.  The potential there is too tenuous to outweigh the risk of diminished statewide support.

This is definitely one of the most accurate posts in this topic.  Kids having a chance to experience this would gravitate back towards football IMO.  There was a time where kids started to find their niche' in the junior high school level and honed their skillset in the HS level. Heck, even at the JHS level, kids were recognized for their play on the field by making an "All-Conference" team and that followed on into the HS level with All-Conference and All-State recognition.  I can say schools within Pulaski County are not producing the talent of years ago and you can pretty much add in the entire state for conversation purposes.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: ricepig on October 04, 2017, 12:55:39 pm
Nah, they have message board warriors just as we do. I live in Jonesboro, lots of vehicles with both emblems on them. I passed numerous cars coming up for the TCU game that had an ASU license plate or sticker in the back that had a car full of people with Hog shirts on. Also, we can't play, there are countless front license plates that have the "House Divided" with both schools, just think how high the divorce rate would go up if they played.

The pre-game trash talking would be absolutely awesome but would make for a quiet dinner conversation for the loser!  ;)

ricepig

You are assuming either a one-off contract or that an annual game would be played in Fayetteville every year.  ASU might agree to one game in Fayetteville without return, but it isn't likely to agree to a game there every year.  Home-and-home would be the scenario.  If we are talking hypotheticals, the sum of DWRRS and Centennial Stadium is almost exactly the same as twice the capacity of WMS.  In other words, an annual game in Little Rock would allow almost exactly the same number of fans to attend the game over time as a home-and-home series.

The truth is that an annual ASU-UA matchup in Little Rock would be good for Arkansas and Arkansas football as a whole.  However, UA has little incentive to schedule the series and plenty to lose.  I've posted numbers many times for the schools' endowments.  UA's is ten times ASU's. By contrast, Ole Miss's endowment is only about 1.3 times Mississippi State's. What might that say about football being the front porch of a university - especially large flagship universities?

Oh good Lord, not this again......if ASU wants to play bad enough, they will come to Fayetteville, "rent a win" schools don't get to dictate terms. I realize you'd do anything to keep football games at WMS, but that ship is leaving the port next year.

As to LR and football, the kids that want to play will go the LRPR, Central, or NLR. And those with either the means, or the talent will go to a private school.

hogsanity

Seriously? You do know the underperformance of football in LR has much more to do with lack of funds, lack of parental involvement, lack of discipline, white flight and about 200 other reasons of much more importance than the Hogs playing ASu in LR.

Lord some of you just have to be playing a character, you can't believe the things you type.

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: hogsanity on October 04, 2017, 01:08:36 pm
Seriously? You do know the underperformance of football in LR has much more to do with lack of funds, lack of parental involvement, lack of discipline, white flight and about 200 other reasons of much more importance than the Hogs playing ASu in LR.

Lord some of you just have to be playing a character, you can't believe the things you type.

Well to be fair to him it may POSSIBLY have SIME benefit in that respect, but you are correct. Interest in football on the part of students is faaaaarrrrrr from the biggest problem for high school football in central Arkansas.

GunnerHawg70

hogsanity - I've been out of state for sometime and lost contact with HS football Pulaski Co...I have a former teammate now coaching at Jacksonville HS but didn't get the feel that he has kids that are P5 talent, possibly at the NAIA/AIC level or whatever they call it now.  What happened to the LR/NLR/Jacksonville/Sylvan Hills/Cabot schools producing top HS talent and what in the world is "white flight"???  Please enlighten me bruh... ???

Thanks

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on October 04, 2017, 01:30:22 pm
hogsanity - I've been out of state for sometime and lost contact with HS football Pulaski Co...I have a former teammate now coaching at Jacksonville HS but didn't get the feel that he has kids that are P5 talent, possibly at the NAIA/AIC level or whatever they call it now.  What happened to the LR/NLR/Jacksonville/Sylvan Hills/Cabot schools producing top HS talent and what in the world is "white flight"???  Please enlighten me bruh... ???

Thanks

You really don't know? 

ricepig

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on October 04, 2017, 01:30:22 pm

Thanks

Cabot has their first D-1 athlete play at Arkansas, maybe ever. The other kids are still playing, just not at Parkview, McClellan, or even Central these days. NLR has had D-1 talent, not sure Sylvan Hills ever has.

As to "white flight", that's people with the means moving outside the LRSD, it started as "whites" moving to Cabot, Conway, Benton, or Bryant, now it's anyone that can move.

bphi11ips

Quote from: ricepig on October 04, 2017, 01:07:53 pm
Oh good Lord, not this again......if ASU wants to play bad enough, they will come to Fayetteville, "rent a win" schools don't get to dictate terms. I realize you'd do anything to keep football games at WMS, but that ship is leaving the port next year.

As to LR and football, the kids that want to play will go the LRPR, Central, or NLR. And those with either the means, or the talent will go to a private school.

Read my entire post. Your view is myopic. Mine isn't.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: ricepig on October 04, 2017, 01:35:12 pm
Cabot has their first D-1 athlete play at Arkansas, maybe ever. The other kids are still playing, just not at Parkview, McClellan, or even Central these days. NLR has had D-1 talent, not sure Sylvan Hills ever has.

As to "white flight", that's people with the means moving outside the LRSD, it started as "whites" moving to Cabot, Conway, Benton, or Bryant, now it's anyone that can move.

ricepig appreciate the insight.  Didn't know LR schools have diminished that much in football.  I graduated in 1988 and between my HS and the LR/NLR schools players were receiving offers from D-1 schools down to NAIA schools.  There was enough talent to supplement the UofA and the other Universities within the state. 

As far as "white flight" goes, didn't know LR (Central Arkansas) has gotten that bad where people are moving away to other counties.  That in itself will decrease revenue, students and athletes that attended these schools that were historically known for pushing out big time athletes...What a shame... :o

hogsanity

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on October 04, 2017, 01:43:02 pm
ricepig appreciate the insight.  Didn't know LR schools have diminished that much in football.  I graduated in 1988 and between my HS and the LR/NLR schools players were receiving offers from D-1 schools down to NAIA schools.  There was enough talent to supplement the UofA and the other Universities within the state. 

As far as "white flight" goes, didn't know LR (Central Arkansas) has gotten that bad where people are moving away to other counties.  That in itself will decrease revenue, students and athletes that attended these schools that were historically known for pushing out big time athletes...What a shame... :o

Heard a rumor recently, and I freely admit it is a rumor that LR Hall and McClellan will be combined into one HS because of falling attendance and budget constraints.

bphi11ips

Hah! Classic case of the pot calling the kettle black. I never knew you were an ASU grad. That explains an awful lot.

hogsanity

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 04, 2017, 01:48:20 pm
Hah! Classic case of the pot calling the kettle black. I never knew you were an ASU grad. That explains an awful lot.

Never stepped foot on their campus, went through the program they had at UAFS ( West ark at the time ). Went there because it was free. What did I say about the LRSD that was erroneous?

ricepig

Quote from: bphi11ips on October 04, 2017, 01:38:34 pm
Read my entire post. Your view is myopic. Mine isn't.

No, you just have an over creative immigration, and a fixation on a downtrodden stadium.

ricepig

Quote from: hogsanity on October 04, 2017, 01:48:11 pm
Heard a rumor recently, and I freely admit it is a rumor that LR Hall and McClellan will be combined into one HS because of falling attendance and budget constraints.

http://m.arkansasonline.com/news/2017/oct/03/school-district-starts-on-gryphons-home/

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: hogsanity on October 04, 2017, 01:48:11 pm

Well that explains a lot.  LR schools (Central, McClellan, Parkview, Hall, LR Catholic, JT Robinson) were known for big time football players; NLR (Ole Main and Northeast in my day) also produced quite a bit of talent as did Jacksonville.  That's partially why I believe a game in LRWMS with Hogs vs. stAte might revive that and the district can become a football hotbed again that produces some great players that move on to the next level - Becoming Razorbacks!!!  I guess from what I'm reading from you guys that it's too far gone...

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: ricepig on October 04, 2017, 02:03:14 pm
No, you just have an over creative immigration, and a fixation on a downtrodden stadium.

If I painted a mural on a hot air balloon and flew it into Canada would that qualify as over creative immigration?

phadedhawg

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on October 04, 2017, 12:25:32 pm

In my eyes it's a black mark to carry on Broyles's antiquated thinking about how the UA is too good to play ASU.  Jeff Long has done a great job modernizing Arkansas and it's kind of odd to hold on to a relic of yesteryear with the ASU ban.  I'm personally fine with Jeff Long saying athletic director and I'm not looking for him to be pushed out the door.  However, it's time to bury the one state, one team myth along with WMS. 

hogsanity

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on October 04, 2017, 02:05:33 pm
Well that explains a lot.  LR schools (Central, McClellan, Parkview, Hall, LR Catholic, JT Robinson) were known for big time football players; NLR (Ole Main and Northeast in my day) also produced quite a bit of talent as did Jacksonville.  That's partially why I believe a game in LRWMS with Hogs vs. stAte might revive that and the district can become a football hotbed again that produces some great players that move on to the next level - Becoming Razorbacks!!!  I guess from what I'm reading from you guys that it's too far gone...

I too graduated in 88 and I remember the talent level the LR schools had. LRSD is a travesty now.

The NewEra

Quote from: ricepig on October 04, 2017, 06:15:31 am
Maybe Jim needs to check in on the opening at the Jonesboro Sun?

I suspect they have already rejected him.