Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Would Norvell recognize the importance of Defense early?

Started by Pork Ranger, November 18, 2017, 08:30:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Pork Ranger

I like the guy but am nervous he wouldn't place the emphasis on defensive recruiting and getting the best DC he possibly could. I'd be all for him if I was confident in his ability to field a quality defense.

Whoever we get should use this recruiting class on O line and the best Defensive players you can get.  I feel like we can get by at the skill positions on O for a bit

RebelW

That's the only thing I worry about with him.. Coaching out West the past several years, he hasn't seen many good defenses

online-with-swine

Given enough money, yes.  But, the defense is a multi year build due to talent.  Sure we have some guys that can be nfl caliber, but overall talent is down.  We would need to convince a name DC to take a chance on us.  And let's be honest, they would be staking their reputation on us.

Pork Ranger

Quote from: online-with-swine on November 18, 2017, 08:35:40 am
Given enough money, yes.  But, the defense is a multi year build due to talent.  Sure we have some guys that can be nfl caliber, but overall talent is down.  We would need to convince a name DC to take a chance on us.  And let's be honest, they would be staking their reputation on us.

I agree, a little. If we could play the second half the way we play the first, we'd be light years better.  I do think we need some more help but I do not believe the cupboard is bare.

My biggest criticism of Bielema was that I thought he didn't manage the personnel we have very good. Put Froholdt back on the D line for instance. His impact would be much greater there for the team

Hoggie17

Hugo Bezdek

If Norvell is our coach, I would expect Todd Graham to be our next DC, assuming he gets the axe at Arizona State.

GuvHog

Quote from: Hoggie17 on November 18, 2017, 09:44:07 am
Norvell's defense gives me concerns. 

Read Matt Burk's long post in the "Some New Info" thread and your fears will be alleviated.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Pork Ranger

Quote from: GuvHog on November 18, 2017, 10:01:23 am
Read Matt Burk's long post in the "Some New Info" thread and your fears will be alleviated.

Just read that and it's hard not to get excited about him. Could potentially be here for a career..

Still, my concern is who he brings in as DC and the emphasis he will place on that side of the ball.

Matt Burks

First, I didn't write that, someone else did. But do some actual research on Norvell and you will see what us supporters are seeing. Don't discredit his 4 years at Arizona State either. He's going to be a big time coach somewhere, I just hope it's us. As for his defense, they had a huge amount of season ending injuries early in the year, so he's playing a lot of inexperienced guys back there. So keep that in mind.

Matt Burks

We could also ask who Gus would bring in as a defensive coordinator as well, right? I think that's a fair question.

Hawg Life

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 18, 2017, 09:58:46 am
If Norvell is our coach, I would expect Todd Graham to be our next DC, assuming he gets the axe at Arizona State.

I'd bet $$$$ you're right. Graham is going to get fired.

Matt Burks

Tusks

But I bet heres what Norvell understands.  To get great defensive players you have to show you can win a few games and his offense will win a few games and give him a chance to build a defense.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

online-with-swine

With Norvell we could catch lightning a bottle.  I am willing to take a chance.

King Kong

I'm sure he would recognize it. I'm not sure he will completely understand it until SEC play starts

Pork Ranger

The Hawg Marshal

JONAS

ipigsooie

Pork Ranger

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 18, 2017, 12:45:15 pm
This. Or Noland

True but I'm assuming Kelley gets the nod instead of a true freshman, who knows?

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on November 18, 2017, 12:50:26 pm
True but I'm assuming Kelley gets the nod instead of a true freshman, who knows?
I love Norvell, but I agree he needs to have a good DC. But I still want him.

Pork Ranger

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on November 18, 2017, 12:52:49 pm
I love Norvell, but I agree he needs to have a good DC. But I still want him.

Yeah I think that's where I throw my chips too

duckman

No.... They won't.

duckman

I like Norvell, but if you say he is not a total gamble you are not looking at things objectively.

If we hire him I hope he is awesome.

Pork Ranger

Quote from: duckman on November 18, 2017, 01:05:59 pm
I like Norvell, but if you say he is not a total gamble you are not looking at things objectively.

Yeah he just needs someone to match him on the opposite side of the ball.

online-with-swine

Quote from: duckman on November 18, 2017, 01:05:59 pm

Everyone is a gamble.  Look at CBB

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: online-with-swine on November 18, 2017, 01:26:01 pm
Everyone is a gamble.  Look at CBB
Yep even Gus , anyone who says different is not being realistic.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: Matt Burks on November 18, 2017, 11:07:39 am
Is Graham a good DC?

Hard to say. He was a HS coach longer than he was a coordinator, but he built his reputation on big turn-arounds for teams that had been really bad before he arrived. Then he moved pretty quickly from coordinator to head coach at the collegiate level. But Norvell has followed him from Tulsa to Pitt to Arizona State and its been a winning combination. I'd feel better about Graham and some of the Arizona State coaches than the group he's got at Memphis.

Atlhogfan1

I doubt Norvell is stupid.  The problem is how to fix it. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hawg Life

Quote from: Hugo Bezdek on November 18, 2017, 03:06:08 pm
Hard to say. He was a HS coach longer than he was a coordinator, but he built his reputation on big turn-arounds for teams that had been really bad before he arrived. Then he moved pretty quickly from coordinator to head coach at the collegiate level. But Norvell has followed him from Tulsa to Pitt to Arizona State and its been a winning combination. I'd feel better about Graham and some of the Arizona State coaches than the group he's got at Memphis.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Todd_Graham

Lots of familiar names on his bio.. he seems solid.

braxhog

Quote from: BritneySpareRibs on November 18, 2017, 10:23:39 am
Just read that and it's hard not to get excited about him. Could potentially be here for a career..

Still, my concern is who he brings in as DC and the emphasis he will place on that side of the ball.

Y'all will think I'm crazy, but I'd like to get Norvell and him keep Rhoads as his DC. We saw a glimmer of hope today with our young front 7. Add Pulley back into the mix next year and there is real potential for the defense. Agim, Marshall, Ramsey, Scoota, Greenlaw...all played a hell of a game today.

ipigsooie

Quote from: braxhog on November 18, 2017, 04:03:41 pm
Y'all will think I'm crazy, but I'd like to get Norvell and him keep Rhoads as his DC. We saw a glimmer of hope today with our young front 7. Add Pulley back into the mix next year and there is real potential for the defense. Agim, Marshall, Ramsey, Scoota, Greenlaw...all played a hell of a game today.

I'm not sure it's a crazy idea. It would be up to the head coach of course. 

SooieGeneris

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 18, 2017, 04:07:23 pm
I'm not sure it's a crazy idea. It would be up to the head coach of course.

We saw improvement from the DBs last year with Rhoades as their position coach, he knows the personnel and the SEC, but it might not sit well with the fans, keeping any coach from this dumpster fire.

I would rather see him than some coach who has never coordinated a defense at the Power 5 level I guess.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

ifghog

Rhoades Is a good coach guys. He's just coaching with a terrible manager.