Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Next season will be season 8 at Arkansas for Anderson

Started by HognotinMemphis, March 17, 2018, 11:14:59 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

Sutton was head coach for 11 seasons. Anderson has not done anything memorable in 7 years thus no reason to expect him to suddenly begin to take this team beyond 1st round of NCAAT. I can't imagine Arkansas basketball with a coach with Anderson's results for another 2 or 3 seasons on top of the past 7. Next year has to be his last unless Arkansas does well in the SEC and gets to 2nd or 3rd round of NCAAT.

Anderson could not do well with 6 seniors and a fab freshman. How is he going to do anything much next year with almost an entirely new starting lineup and losing 90% of his scoring from this year?

Who is going to be the PG next year? Who is going to block shots and get rebounds next year? Who is going to score for us consistently like Macon next year? I believe next season will be Anderson's swan song at Arkansas. Gave him 8 seasons to prove himself and he never did as well as he did at Mizzou and UAB. Most of what he did at those two programs based on previous coaches' recruits. Anderson not a very good recruiter.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

GA reddiehog

I think you are being generous to give him another season.  It will not cost anymore to get rid of him now than next year.

MikePiazza

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 17, 2018, 11:14:59 am
Sutton was head coach for 11 seasons. Anderson has not done anything memorable in 7 years thus no reason to expect him to suddenly begin to take this team beyond 1st round of NCAAT. I can't imagine Arkansas basketball with a coach with Anderson's results for another 2 or 3 seasons on top of the past 7. Next year has to be his last unless Arkansas does well in the SEC and gets to 2nd or 3rd round of NCAAT.

Anderson could not do well with 6 seniors and a fab freshman. How is he going to do anything much next year with almost an entirely new starting lineup and losing 90% of his scoring from this year?

Who is going to be the PG next year? Who is going to block shots and get rebounds next year? Who is going to score for us consistently like Macon next year? I believe next season will be Anderson's swan song at Arkansas. Gave him 8 seasons to prove himself and he never did as well as he did at Mizzou and UAB. Most of what he did at those two programs based on previous coaches' recruits. Anderson not a very good recruiter.

Not true, Quin Snyder left Mizzou a mess and Mike stabilized that program. UAB hadn't done anything in the preceding years and he took them to Sweet 16.

I'm not disagreeing that he hasn't accomplished anything in the postseason here of note, but no need to go revisionist history.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Quote from: GA reddiehog on March 17, 2018, 11:25:03 am
I think you are being generous to give him another season.  It will not cost anymore to get rid of him now than next year.
<1% chance he's fired this year.

logic

Anderson is a good recruiter, but Arkansas has a small recruiting base so usually (not always)  Kentucky, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Alabama, TA&M, and Auburn will have more talented recruits.

Anderson wins enough so he is not going to be replaced; but, since he is stuck on what worked in the past,  he not going to improve.

elksnort

Mike Anderson is a good coach and maybe a better person, but he is not a very good coach. His teams' have very polarized play and results. The adjustments seem to be few and far in between. It is really disappointing with the seniors on the team and a future 1st round NBA freshman and to get their asses handed to them by a team that is middle of the road good.

As folks have said, his being hired was a problem from the start. Can he be fired? Will he be fired? He is winning just enough along with the emotional connection with the past to not be fired.

And what do you really think next year is going to be like? Also, it put a sour taste in my mouth to watch any more NCAAt games when the hogs blow a great opportunity like they had.

Damn shame.

Oliver

Very rational questions and thoughts that answer themselves.  And definitely ones our athletic department should have in mind this morning

GuvHog

Quote from: logic on March 17, 2018, 11:38:49 am
Anderson is a good recruiter, but Arkansas has a small recruiting base so usually (not always)  Kentucky, Florida, Georgia, LSU, Alabama, TA&M, and Auburn will have more talented recruits.

Anderson wins enough so he is not going to be replaced; but, since he is stuck on what worked in the past,  he not going to improve.

Mike has lost 2 in state 5 star players and an in state high end 4 star player to out of state schools and now may lose a 4 star 7'2" in state big man to an out of state school. That is NOT good recruiting.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Letsroll1200

Quote from: GuvHog on March 17, 2018, 11:48:55 am
Mike has lost 2 in state 5 star players and an in state high end 4 star player to out of state schools and now may lose a 4 star 7'2" in state big man to an out of state school. That is NOT good recruiting.

Have you watched Connor play?

DemiHOG

Has to have time to get his players for his system.

Arthur pigby sellers.

There is plenty of b-ball talent in the state to form a strong backbone of a team.  Also we are close to Memphis and Dallas which both have good b-ball talent.  We are clearly at a disadvantage in football recruiting against other SEC teams but this is not a valid excuse in basketball. 

cypert2

Quote from: DemiHOG on March 17, 2018, 12:19:26 pm
Has to have time to get his players for his system.
For sure. I think we will start seeing results in another 4-5 years. Just be patient and give him some time.
Swinging on the two and the four.

texas tush hog

Quote from: GA reddiehog on March 17, 2018, 11:25:03 am

He is not going anywhere, so just sit back and suffer. Dilly, Dilly.

The OTR

Quote from: elksnort on March 17, 2018, 11:41:25 am
Mike Anderson is a good coach and maybe a better person, but he is not a very good coach. His teams' have very polarized play.

Well which is it?  Is he a good coach or not a very good coach?  Your posts are very polarized.

hogsanity

Quote from: cypert2 on March 17, 2018, 12:34:36 pm
For sure. I think we will start seeing results in another 4-5 years. Just be patient and give him some time.

that 2036 recruiting class is going to be special, lots of great players in diapers right now.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

bkjbearcat

Quote from: Arthur pigby sellers. on March 17, 2018, 12:26:15 pm
There is plenty of b-ball talent in the state to form a strong backbone of a team.  Also we are close to Memphis and Dallas which both have good b-ball talent.  We are clearly at a disadvantage in football recruiting against other SEC teams but this is not a valid excuse in basketball.

Exactly, Memphis, New Orleans, Dallas, Tulsa, OKC, Wichita, Kansas City and St. Louis should be the Hogs recruiting base. It's NOT hard to recruit at Arkansas in basketball. You just have to have a HC and assistants that aren't lazy and are willing to get in the mud a little to get the best players.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

Knot2brite

If Gafford leaves then season 8 May be the longest season of MA's career...and not in a positive way
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: cypert2 on March 17, 2018, 12:34:36 pm
I think we will start seeing results in another 4-5 years. Just be patient and give him some time.
He will get it.
That was the Faustian bargain we made when we hired him and signed up for this perpetual nostalgia chase.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: elksnort on March 17, 2018, 11:41:25 am
Mike Anderson is a good coach and maybe a better person, but he is not a very good coach. His teams' have very polarized play and results. The adjustments seem to be few and far in between.
I think this is why when Anderson's terms are down at half, whether by 1 point or 20 pts, they lose the game 95% of the time. No adjustments, no changes at halftime. No adjustments during the week either. Just same thing. Sometimes, based on the opponent to some degree, the Hogs shoot lights out. Sometimes, they can't hit the side of a barn. Rebounding always atrocious. Assists not high due to a lot of one on one play and long 3 pointers. It's fairly ugly basketball most games. And very inconsistent results.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

alohawg

Quote from: hogsanity on March 17, 2018, 12:45:12 pm
that 2036 recruiting class is going to be special, lots of great players in diapers right now.

Great, I'll be in diapers again by then, if I'm still around.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: MikePiazza on March 17, 2018, 11:26:41 am
Not true, Quin Snyder left Mizzou a mess and Mike stabilized that program. UAB hadn't done anything in the preceding years and he took them to Sweet 16.

I'm not disagreeing that he hasn't accomplished anything in the postseason here of note, but no need to go revisionist history.
I said Anderson did whatever he did at his previous stops with previous head coaches' players and i am mostly correct about that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Anderson_(basketball)#Coaching_career

Anderson was at UAB for 4 seasons. That's not even a full cycle (5 years). He improved their overall record every year but his NCAAT results peaked in season 2 by making Sweet 16...That was with mostly the previous head coach's players. He won first round NCAAT game the next year and in his 4th and final season at UAB, he lost in first round of NCAAT.

Anderson was at Mizzou for 5 years. He peaked there in season 3 with a 31-7 record and an Elite 8 appearance in NCAAT. So he his team was likely around half his and half the previous head coach's that season. His SEC record at Mizzou:

7-9
6-10
12-4: Elite 8
10-6: Round of 32
8-8: Round of 64

Lost 11 games each of last two seasons at Mizzou.

His results declined at Mizzou after he had mostly his own recruits in seasons 4 and 5, both overall and in NCAAT.

He is doing same at Arkansas after 7 seasons and has whiffed on at least 2 top national recruits within the state in his time as head coach...Monk and Allen and maybe a couple of others. Nolan and Eddie did not allow in-state players who were highly regarded to play elsewhere.

Chop1034

Wow, if you are referring to Vanover, I'm certainly glad you don't recruit for us. And who are the 2 five star? Monk and......? Allen was a 4 star as I remember.

Chop1034

rhames

As always you're a little wrong here.

You can't blame Mike for losing Monk or Goodwin. Those guys were recruited hard,  they just wanted to go to Kentucky. Outside of straight up offering cash, I'm not so  sure what else one could have done

Now Allen is a different story.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

solitons

and I hope we get a brand new coaching staff after next year.
go hogs

rhames

Quote from: solitons on March 17, 2018, 03:58:11 pm
and I hope we get a brand new coaching staff after next year.
go hogs

I would say that's pretty likely unless they just blow the doors off next year.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: logic on March 17, 2018, 11:38:49 am

Lol at good recruiter. Now it has picked up recently but that because the state has started producing more players. 

rhames

Quote from: RazorPiggie on March 17, 2018, 04:08:26 pm
Lol at good recruiter. Now it has picked up recently but that because the state has started producing more players. 

That's how it will be for every coach in football and basketball at the university of arkansas

Razorback_Mack

Vanover is not a 4 Star by any service.

elksnort

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 17, 2018, 02:27:01 pm
I think this is why when Anderson's terms are down at half, whether by 1 point or 20 pts, they lose the game 95% of the time. No adjustments, no changes at halftime. No adjustments during the week either. Just same thing. Sometimes, based on the opponent to some degree, the Hogs shoot lights out. Sometimes, they can't hit the side of a barn. Rebounding always atrocious. Assists not high due to a lot of one on one play and long 3 pointers. It's fairly ugly basketball most games. And very inconsistent results.
Very well said and this opinion and facts are shared by many who know basketball.
What year will Arkansas have a different coach?

Atlhogfan1

Next season will be better than some think which will be just good enough. With or without Gafford. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 17, 2018, 05:36:39 pm
Next season will be better than some think which will be just good enough. With or without Gafford.
From what I've seen this will be by far the most athletic team he has ever had.

elksnort

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on March 17, 2018, 05:51:21 pm
This helps, but can any of them play basketball real well?

Atlhogfan1

Probably.

Heard that about this season. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

rude1

Then the question becomes, why has it taken him 7 years to get the type of athleticism it takes to play the way he wants to play? Then the next question is, if you are recruiting guys who don't have the physical tools to play the way you want, why are you insisting on playing that way?

elksnort

Quote from: Skandar Jackson on March 17, 2018, 12:44:19 pm
Well which is it?  Is he a good coach or not a very good coach?  Your posts are very polarized.
His record indicates he's a good coach.
He is either unable or unwilling to adjust or change when necessary

elksnort

Hey skandario jojackson, habe you ever consumed Kava?

MikePiazza

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 17, 2018, 02:39:24 pm
I said Anderson did whatever he did at his previous stops with previous head coaches' players and i am mostly correct about that.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Anderson_(basketball)#Coaching_career

Anderson was at UAB for 4 seasons. That's not even a full cycle (5 years). He improved their overall record every year but his NCAAT results peaked in season 2 by making Sweet 16...That was with mostly the previous head coach's players. He won first round NCAAT game the next year and in his 4th and final season at UAB, he lost in first round of NCAAT.

Anderson was at Mizzou for 5 years. He peaked there in season 3 with a 31-7 record and an Elite 8 appearance in NCAAT. So he his team was likely around half his and half the previous head coach's that season. His SEC record at Mizzou:

7-9
6-10
12-4: Elite 8
10-6: Round of 32
8-8: Round of 64

Lost 11 games each of last two seasons at Mizzou.

His results declined at Mizzou after he had mostly his own recruits in seasons 4 and 5, both overall and in NCAAT.

He is doing same at Arkansas after 7 seasons and has whiffed on at least 2 top national recruits within the state in his time as head coach...Monk and Allen and maybe a couple of others. Nolan and Eddie did not allow in-state players who were highly regarded to play elsewhere.

Eddie let Keith Lee and Michael Cage go elsewhere, Nolan let Quincy Lewis go to Minnesota as well, plus Nick Bradford went to KU.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

HognotinMemphis

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: elksnort on March 17, 2018, 05:34:54 pm
Very well said and this opinion and facts are shared by many who know basketball.
What year will Arkansas have a different coach?
My semi-educated guess is for the '19-'20 season. Next year should follow trend that Mike set at both UAB and Mizzou and is setting here to some degree. And that trend is a decline...like Bielema. Next year should be awful based on players done with eligibility and Gafford moving to NBA. The returners could not start for any other SEC school. If he is not let go after next year, then who knows when he will be fired.

daprospecta

Quote from: HoginMemphis on March 17, 2018, 06:59:24 pm
My semi-educated guess is for the '19-'20 season. Next year should follow trend that Mike set at both UAB and Mizzou and is setting here to some degree. And that trend is a decline...like Bielema. Next year should be awful based on players done with eligibility and Gafford moving to NBA. The returners could not start for any other SEC school. If he is not let go after next year, then who knows when he will be fired.
Have you even bothered to look at our incoming class? Here you go just in case you are too lazy to google it.
http://www.espn.com/colleges/basketball/recruiting/school/_/id/8/class/2018

rude1

Quote from: daprospecta on March 17, 2018, 07:05:21 pm
Have you even bothered to look at our incoming class? Here you go just in case you are too lazy to google it.
Here's a little more context to go with that. ONE player in the ESPN top 100 he is NO. 87, rated 22nd nationally with 6 players signed, more players signed than all the teams ranked ahead of us except one and that team is ranked No. 2., none of the teams ranked below us in the top 40 have signed as many players as we have. Class ranks 6th in the SEC where the kids will actually play. In other words, it's not as good as some will lead you to believe, it's only ranked as high as it is because of the number of players in the class, not because it's a loaded class.

bkjbearcat

Quote from: daprospecta on March 17, 2018, 07:05:21 pm

The class is ranked 22 and is 6th in the SEC. Sorry I'm not impressed. In fact with all the resources the school has put into the basketball team in the last seven seasons I will say that class kind of disappointing.
B-E-A-R-C-A-T-S BEARCATS, BEARCATS GOOOOOOO BEARCATS!!!!!!!<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Football: 1998, 1999, 2009, 2013, 2015, 2016<br /><br />D2 National Champs in Mens Basketball: 2017, 2019, No.1 team in 2020,2021, 2022

RazorPiggie

Quote from: rhames on March 17, 2018, 04:10:36 pm

That's how it will be for every coach in football and basketball at the university of arkansas

Not recently for basketball. Especially since we only need about 3 each year.

daprospecta

Quote from: bkjbearcat on March 17, 2018, 08:43:34 pm
The class is ranked 22 and is 6th in the SEC. Sorry I'm not impressed. In fact with all the resources the school has put into the basketball team in the last seven seasons I will say that class kind of disappointing.
When was the last time Arkansas had a top 10 recruiting class. Don't worry............................I'll wait.

rude1

Quote from: daprospecta on March 17, 2018, 08:50:25 pm
When was the last time Arkansas had a top 10 recruiting class. Don't worry............................I'll wait.
What was the class MA inherited from Pel ranked? If not top 10 it was close, and it was the same thing, ranked because of how many players signed in the class. How did that turn out for us?

bkjbearcat

Quote from: daprospecta on March 17, 2018, 08:50:25 pm

Top ten...can we at least have a top twenty? Can we at least out recruit Vandy???????

mykidsdad

Quote from: rude1 on March 17, 2018, 08:55:09 pm
What was the class MA inherited from Pel ranked? If not top 10 it was close, and it was the same thing, ranked because of how many players signed in the class. How did that turn out for us?

well to be fair, 2018 was a top 10 class until M$U got Perry after an Addai$$ tournament. honestly, the main issue has been the cheating that others do and Mike wont do.

rude1

Quote from: mykidsdad on March 17, 2018, 08:57:51 pm
well to be fair, 2018 was a top 10 class until M$U got Perry after an Addai$$ tournament. honestly, the main issue has been the cheating that others do and Mike wont do.
So it's not a top 10 class no matter the excuse used. Actually 2011 was a top 10 class and what did we get out of it? But we are expected to believe that a 22nd ranked class is going to be the answer to our prayers lmao............

bkjbearcat

Quote from: mykidsdad on March 17, 2018, 08:57:51 pm

If Mike refused to get a little dirty to get players then he's doing the bare minimum as a recruiter. It's not a world of Care bares and Unicorns. Mike has no one to blame but himself for poor recruiting.