Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chris Beard

Started by FaytownHog, January 16, 2018, 02:26:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

FaytownHog

I like Mike and really hope he can get over the hump here at Arkansas, but while we're struggling to get to the top 25, only to go on a losing streak & not even know if we'll make the tournament, in year 7,
Chris Beard, who took the UALR Trojans to the second round of the NCAA Tournament, now has Texas Tech in the top 10 in year 2. Frustrating that we can't hire someone who can flat out coach like that!

raz1965

Beard does appear to be a great coach, but however has not proven he can sustain a program over a long term as of yet. He may well be able too, however problems do arise when your around a place past the honeymoon period.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: FaytownHog on January 16, 2018, 02:26:44 pm
I like Mike and really hope he can get over the hump here at Arkansas, but while we're struggling to get to the top 25, only to go on a losing streak & not even know if we'll make the tournament, in year 7,
Chris Beard, who took the UALR Trojans to the second round of the NCAA Tournament, now has Texas Tech in the top 10 in year 2. Frustrating that we can't hire someone who can flat out coach like that!
Chris Beard is a good example and he can flat out coach. He rebuilt that UALR roster and won 30 games in year 1. Now he's in the top 5 at Tech. He's a Knight disciple and his teams guard the piss out of people.

However, Arkansas isn't going to hire anybody from an in state school to be a high profile head coach. That's been proven time, and time, and time again.

Randohoggie

You people don't ever learn.  Ever.

ParkerSchnabel

Well they tried to hire Gus. After he went to Auburn. It would be the same thing with Chris. Honestly I think he might would be an upgrade. But he's basically home. Why not support our current coach ? He's not as bad as many of you make out. I don't see Arkansas making a change bc a few fans want to see called play basketball on every possession anyway.

Fan701

He looks so far like a great coach, but since there is about zero chance he'll ever be our coach, what's the purpose of putting this thread up every few days?

Randohoggie

Chris Beard took UALR to the second round.  Mike Anderson took UAB to the second roundin one year AND to the Sweet 16 in another year.

Chris Beard is having a pretty good year so far with Texas Tech.  That's it.  Maybe, if he's lucky, he will make a Sweet 16.  Anderson has done that with UAB and Missouri and has been within an eyelash of it with Arkansas.  Beard hasn't shown that he can maintain anything.  Maybe he will, maybe he won't.

The grass is always greener.

HognitiveDissonance

I agree.
The guy is amazing.
We have a good coach, but there are clearly guys out there who are better. He's one of them.
He blows a hole in the theory that it takes somebody years to get something going. Pretty much an instant turnaround everywhere he goes.
UALR completely fell apart as soon as he left.
If I were conducting a search, he would be the #1 guy on my list.
Billy Donovan would be #2, because at some point it's quite possible he will want out of the NBA and back in the college game. Remember he signed up for the Thunder with Durant and Westbrook. No Durant there now. There has to be some frustration there.

FaytownHog

Quote from: Randohoggie on January 16, 2018, 02:57:37 pm
Chris Beard took UALR to the second round.  Mike Anderson took UAB to the second roundin one year AND to the Sweet 16 in another year.

Chris Beard is having a pretty good year so far with Texas Tech.  That's it.  Maybe, if he's lucky, he will make a Sweet 16.  Anderson has done that with UAB and Missouri and has been within an eyelash of it with Arkansas.  Beard hasn't shown that he can maintain anything.  Maybe he will, maybe he won't.

The grass is always greener.
Mike hasn't really sustained anything past 2-3 years either. Only a glimpse of hope and then right  back down into the valley.

FaytownHog

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 16, 2018, 02:47:52 pm
Why not support our current coach ? He's not as bad as many of you make out. I don't see Arkansas making a change bc a few fans want to see called play basketball on every possession anyway.
I definitely support Mike and like I said in the OP, I hope he can get over the hump and get Arkansas back. But so far, in 7 years, anytime we've gotten close, we've fallen off the cliff.

FaytownHog

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 16, 2018, 03:00:40 pm
I agree.
The guy is amazing.
We have a good coach, but there are clearly guys out there who are better. He's one of them.
He blows a hole in the theory that it takes somebody years to get something going. Pretty much an instant turnaround everywhere he goes.
Billy Donovan would be #2, because at some point it's quite possible he will want out of the NBA and back in the college game. Remember he signed up for the Thunder with Durant and Westbrook. No Durant there now. There has to be some frustration there.
Agreed. And of course Gregg Marshall but who knows if he would ever leave Wichita State. But people thought Chris Peterson was a lifer at Boise too.

Randohoggie

Quote from: FaytownHog on January 16, 2018, 03:03:36 pm
Mike hasn't really sustained anything past 2-3 years either. Only a glimpse of hope and then right  back down into the valley.

Well, 26 wins and 27 wins in 2 of the last 3 years, plus a top 20 RPI this year.  Yeah.  He isn't sustaining anything.  You people are retarded.

Randohoggie

Quote from: FaytownHog on January 16, 2018, 03:04:35 pm
I definitely support Mike and like I said in the OP, I hope he can get over the hump and get Arkansas back. But so far, in 7 years, anytime we've gotten close, we've fallen off the cliff.

What cliff have we fallen off of?  Are you really that hung up in day to day results rather than the big picture?

Breems

Frank Haith had Missouri ranked #1 and a 2 seed in the NCAAT. John Pelphrey beat 2 top 10 teams in a week here. Stan Heath went to the Elite Eight.

What TT has done so far is impressive. We need a few more years to see if he's for real.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

onebadrubi

Quote from: Randohoggie on January 16, 2018, 03:11:31 pm
Well, 26 wins and 27 wins in 2 of the last 3 years, plus a top 20 RPI this year.  Yeah.  He isn't sustaining anything.  You people are retarded.

You had me till this last sentence, It let me know you are bias and possibly have an agenda.  Mike has not sustained success at Arkansas.  He has pretty much had a flat line if you graphed it.  We have teetered on bubble teams since he arrived with little standard deviation. 

I don't want to break your heart, but Mike isn't bringing back Nolan's style of basketball and success.  Might want to digest that. 

Randohoggie

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 16, 2018, 03:27:53 pm
You had me till this last sentence, It let me know you are bias and possibly have an agenda.  Mike has not sustained success at Arkansas.  He has pretty much had a flat line if you graphed it.  We have teetered on bubble teams since he arrived with little standard deviation. 

I don't want to break your heart, but Mike isn't bringing back Nolan's style of basketball and success.  Might want to digest that.

Sorry, but people here ARE retarded.  I didn't mention Nolan.  I mentioned nothing but facts (granted, the retarded part is an opinion, but based in fact).

And yes, if you are graphing it, once you start regularly making the tournament, it pretty much is going to be a flat line.  It is the same way for everyone.  You get in and then you give it your best shot.  You have no shot if you don't regularly get in.  We are regularly getting in now.

HognitiveDissonance

Speaking of 'retarded', it's amazing the rationale that certain organizations use to justify hiring a coach.
I've made this point before.
The New England Patriots are the best example. How many different Patriots assistants have been hired as head coaches? Charlie Weis, Eric Mangini, Romeo Crennel, Josh McDaniels, etc. Not a lot of success, either.
That's the rationale clueless organizations use. "He was part of a winning team, he's been a part of success, let's get him!"
No...no...no. The guy you want is Bill Belichick. HE'S the reason for the excellence. These other guys may or may not be ok, but they're just assistants. Just BEING there doesn't necessarily mean anything, by itself.
Clubs make this mistake all the time.

Same thing here.
'Hey, this guy Mike Anderson was part of Nolan's staff, he's the next best thing, let's get him!
Again, no...no...no. The guy you want was Nolan in his prime, not one of his assistants.
I will agree Anderson was on his own, has had a nice career, is doing a good job here. As said numerous times, he's good, not great.
Also, as well documented here, there are people who want Anderson here for political and social reasons. That's part of it.

But you also the same fallacious thinking going on, the 'hey, let's hire another New England assistant' thing. It drives me crazy.
THAT is crazy.

You'll win the press conference because it looks good on paper, but you may not get where you want to be.

Davidr295

Quote from: Fan701 on January 16, 2018, 02:51:04 pm
He looks so far like a great coach, but since there is about zero chance he'll ever be our coach, what's the purpose of putting this thread up every few days?

You don't have to open it

Davidr295

Quote from: Randohoggie on January 16, 2018, 03:11:31 pm

Calm down, we have only been to the Tourney twice in 7 years. That's all that matters

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Davidr295 on January 16, 2018, 04:25:55 pm
Calm down, we have only been to the Tourney twice in 7 years. That's all that matters
You calm down. Twice in 6 years with the 7th tbd. You're  counting this season against him already. That shows your agenda and really makes your opinion insignificant.

Furthermore, the two coaches before him won like 38% of their SEC games so to hold those first two years against him also shows your bias against the man.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 16, 2018, 05:10:45 pm
You calm down. Twice in 6 years with the 7th tbd. You're  counting this season against him already. That shows your agenda and really makes your opinion insignificant.

Furthermore, the two coaches before him won like 38% of their SEC games so to hold those first two years against him also shows your bias against the man.

Yep and he had to upgrade the talent/get players for his system and change the culture.  The first two years it's nit really reasonable to make the tournament. 

More like 2 NCAAT in four years and an NIT.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on January 16, 2018, 03:00:40 pm
I agree.
The guy is amazing.

Sounds like the football fantasies about Gruden coming here.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Letsroll1200

Let's see if he can build and sustain a program. He's a solid coach but has been jumping around every year.

HogBreath

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on January 16, 2018, 05:29:45 pm
Yep and he had to upgrade the talent/get players for his system and change the culture.  The first two years it's nit really reasonable to make the tournament. 

More like 2 NCAAT in four years and an NIT.
Isn't this thread about Beard who's in his SECOND season at Tech, and has them ranked in the top ten? 

And you come up with this?

BTW...love the avatar.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

husker71

Anybody who even in their deepest dreams thinks that Billy Donovan would come to UA are just not thinking of all the choices he will/would have.  I think Beard will not leave TT for quite awhile he really likes the community and the university from what I have read.   Again if Billy Donovan would want to come back to college he would be the hottest hire in a decade at least.  Heck some people on this board were all excited about Billy Clyde and Tim Floyd and many others that could not come close to Donovan.

Randohoggie

Quote from: HogBreath on January 16, 2018, 07:12:50 pm
Isn't this thread about Beard who's in his SECOND season at Tech, and has them ranked in the top ten? 

And you come up with this?

BTW...love the avatar.

The season isn't over.  See how they end up. 

It's the tournament that matters, right?

HogBreath

Quote from: Randohoggie on January 16, 2018, 07:51:42 pm
The season isn't over.  See how they end up. 

It's the tournament that matters, right?
Let's hope we all enjoy the rest of this "Hoops" season.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

FaytownHog

Quote from: Randohoggie on January 16, 2018, 03:12:42 pm
What cliff have we fallen off of?  Are you really that hung up in day to day results rather than the big picture?
The cliff of barely being ranked? The cliff of making the tournament twice in six years? The recruiting cliff? The win a game on the road cliff? There's several. We always look like we're getting close and then drop like a rock. We're in year 7.

razorpimp

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 16, 2018, 06:25:54 pm
Let's see if he can build and sustain a program. He's a solid coach but has been jumping around every year.

Jumping around every year?  First D1 team UALR (equals UofA's success under Mike in 6 years), then bolts to UNLV stayed two weeks then off to TT to be closer to his children....

Someone that can turn two teams around in an extremely short amount of time can sustain success!  At UALR he brought in some JUCO guys that were very good players

cram224

Quote from: Randohoggie on January 16, 2018, 03:34:27 pm
Sorry, but people here ARE retarded.  I didn't mention Nolan.  I mentioned nothing but facts (granted, the retarded part is an opinion, but based in fact).

And yes, if you are graphing it, once you start regularly making the tournament, it pretty much is going to be a flat line.  It is the same way for everyone.  You get in and then you give it your best shot.  You have no shot if you don't regularly get in.  We are regularly getting in now.
I can't believe that just getting in makes you so happy. I bet you don't remember how, just 4 or 5 years ago, CMA begging for a brand new practice facility. He couldn't compete for big time recruits without.  At least 3 years and several million dollars I can't tell the team is any better than before it was built. Try and win 2 maybe 3 conference games on the road. Home, count on 2 loses each year that's CMA's history. Then to top everything, everybody says how good and improved the conference is, yes, improved everybody stepped it up but Ark. Look at us, already lost one at home. 0'fer on the road. I hope we never lose another game this year, however, I bet on selection Sunday you will go to church and pray that the Razorbacks will JUST get into the tournament and then bitch that we got a bad draw, (one & done). Excuse me for wanting more out of OUR basketball team.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: husker71 on January 16, 2018, 07:20:46 pm
Anybody who even in their deepest dreams thinks that Billy Donovan would come to UA are just not thinking of all the choices he will/would have.  I think Beard will not leave TT for quite awhile he really likes the community and the university from what I have read.   Again if Billy Donovan would want to come back to college he would be the hottest hire in a decade at least.  Heck some people on this board were all excited about Billy Clyde and Tim Floyd and many others that could not come close to Donovan.
Gruden to UA, or even college for that matter, was a longshot, yes.
Donovan, not so much. He would be a long shot for the UA, yes, but not really a long shot to return to college.
It's all about timing.
He may be totally happy now, but wouldn't be surprised if he's a little disillusioned. He signed up for KD and Westbrook, then KD bolts. Totally different team now.
Now it makes it like the Petrino situation. He signed up for Atlanta and Mike Vick, then who let the dogs out. Petrino is unhappy and starts looking around, the UA just happened to have an opening, and boom. Perfect timing and totally lucky break for the UA.
Same with Nick Saban. If Drew Brees were at Miami, he might still be there. Instead it was Daunte Culpepper and Saban is unhappy. He starts looking around and Alabama just happened to have an opening. The rest is history.

These guys leaving the pros back to college is not far-fetched. Do not be surprised if Billy D pulls the same move at some point. Then it will just  be a matter of which college has an opening.

Randohoggie

Quote from: cram224 on January 16, 2018, 10:45:23 pm
I can't believe that just getting in makes you so happy.

You have to get in on a regular basis before you can start making noise.  We were not doing that.  We are now for the first time in decades.

Nickle-Pig

Quote from: Randohoggie on January 17, 2018, 12:59:17 am
You have to get in on a regular basis before you can start making noise.  We were not doing that.  We are now for the first time in decades.

agree
Social sites are where cowards go to get a cup of courage.

LZH

Quote from: Randohoggie on January 17, 2018, 12:59:17 am

Beating a 9 seed is making noise? A 12 three years ago?

Razorback_Mack

Food for thought.....Beard is 1-10 on the road at Tech

hog golf

Quote from: Davidr295 on January 16, 2018, 04:25:55 pm
you say that like it's a bad thing
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 17, 2018, 09:01:03 am

Say whaaaat? Blows my mind. Must be hard to win on  the road.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Davidr295

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 17, 2018, 09:01:03 am

Do we have a road win that comes even close to his win at Kansas?

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Davidr295 on January 17, 2018, 10:35:39 am

We beat Oklahoma on a neutral court and Oklahoma is better than Kansas right now IMO.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Razorback_Mack

Without even thinking hard about it we won at South Carolina last year who ended up in the final four and ranked top 5. So yes we have at least one that "comes close."

This year we don't, no.

Davidr295

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 17, 2018, 10:39:25 am
We beat Oklahoma on a neutral court and Oklahoma is better than Kansas right now IMO.

Neutral court is not even close to the same as a true road game.

Davidr295

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 17, 2018, 10:39:40 am
Without even thinking hard about it we won at South Carolina last year who ended up in the final four and ranked top 5. So yes we have at least one that "comes close."

This year we don't, no.

So winning at South Carolina is the same as winning at Kansas..  ;D That is hilarious my friend.

FineAsSwine

Let's give him extra credit for the Kansas win as you do and say he is 2-9 (after adding an extra win for difficulty). Are you impressed with that road record?
Hogs up! Covid down!

Davidr295

Quote from: FineAsSwine on January 17, 2018, 10:42:19 am
Let's give him extra credit for the Kansas win as you do and say he is 2-9 (after adding an extra win for difficulty). Are you impressed with that road record?

Never said i was impressed about anything. Just asked a simple question if we had a road win that is equal to his one at Kansas.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Davidr295 on January 17, 2018, 10:41:32 am
So winning at South Carolina is the same as winning at Kansas..  ;D That is hilarious my friend.
He's 1-10. I guess by your standard if he goes 1-20 and loses to slop teams he'll still have that win.

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Davidr295 on January 17, 2018, 10:43:53 am
Never said i was impressed about anything. Just asked a simple question if we had a road win that is equal to his one at Kansas.
No you diverted the attention of his awful road record. 1-10 is 1-10

East Clintwood

Quote from: ParkerSchnabel on January 16, 2018, 02:47:52 pm
Well they tried to hire Gus. After he went to Auburn. It would be the same thing with Chris. Honestly I think he might would be an upgrade. But he's basically home. Why not support our current coach ? He's not as bad as many of you make out. I don't see Arkansas making a change bc a few fans want to see called play basketball on every possession anyway.

That's precisely why I don't support him.

I don't want a coach who's "not as bad as we think he is" and neither should anyone else. 

I don't want the 45th best coach in the country.  I want the best we can get and MA comes up way short of that mark.  Nice guy but he's had 7 years and he's not getting it done.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Razorback_Mack

Quote from: Davidr295 on January 17, 2018, 10:41:32 am
And you said comes close not the same or equal to. You change your stuff as you go. I never said it was the same.

Davidr295

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 17, 2018, 10:46:40 am
And you said comes close not the same or equal to. You change your stuff as you go. I never said it was the same.

Your the one who compared the two....

Davidr295

Quote from: Razorback_Mack on January 17, 2018, 10:45:35 am
No you diverted the attention of his awful road record. 1-10 is 1-10

No I asked a question. Your the one butt hurt about a question....