Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is a victory over A&M and Jimbo Fisher the measuring stick?

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, February 22, 2018, 08:15:47 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

February 22, 2018, 08:15:47 pm Last Edit: February 22, 2018, 08:26:40 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Is that what will perhaps turn the tide of public/fan opinion about an improvement in the Razorback football program? We've certainly had near misses over the last 5 years and some losses that were simply gut wrenching.

Sumlin is gone, enter Jimbo Fisher, who many consider to be a great coach. I'll just submit this for conversation and consideration. The vast majority of the talent that Fisher utilized at Florida State (and under-performed with most of the time) came straight out of the low-hanging fruit of recruiting in Florida. Don't believe that? Well here is some factual evidence.

Total 5 Star players signed 2012-2017: 16
Total 5 Star players signed 2012-2017(from Florida): 6 (37.5% of total)

Total 4 Star players signed 2012-2017: 65
Total 4 Star players signed 2012-2017(from Florida): 38 (58.5% of total)

5 Stars from Texas: 2   4 Stars from Texas: 3

https://floridastate.247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/Commits

I'm sure the guy is a good recruiter but he is having to completely re-design his recruiting and make more connections in Texas, like he had in Florida. That may not happen overnight and though he may draw some Florida recruits to A&M, it won't be near as many as he was able to land in Florida.

I think that the Morris connection with Texas HS Coaches and their Staffs may pay larger dividends than we have experienced in the past and especially if he can knock off A&M in Jerry-World and take some of the wind out their sails in recruiting in Texas.
Go Hogs Go!

go hogues

To me, in year one, the measuring stick will be fighting in games until the final horn. I know that blown leads are synonymous with Arkansas football long before CBB but I just can't stomach the outright quit his teams showed on the field.

Going forward in the SEC, I believe we'll lose to A&M more than we beat them but in year one, I will not be devastated if Morris' squad gets beat by the Aggies.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

razorhog52

Yes. As ridiculous as it sounds, until we pass A&M we are an also ran.

A&M increased their importance in Texas after moving to the SEC.  They just started getting better recruits and I believe it was the SEC thing but I could be wrong.  I think Jimbo is a better coach than most on here give him credit for.  Hope to hell he isn't.  I think he is a better coach than Sumlin and in my opinion, Sumlin wasn't terrible.  I felt Bret was terrible and yet we came close nearly every year against A&M. 

I do agree that the A&M game is a marker game for us in 2018.  Should we win that game, it could get us off to a good mental start.  Lose that game and there goes the mental part I worry.  I hope we can stay on the field with BAMA but expect this to be a game whereby Saban sets the tone against Morris and it could get ugly.  Saban took it easy on Bret except for the one time we came close at home against them.  They played a horrible game against us and we still lost by 1.  Bret crotch sniffers swore we were on our way after that game.  Hell LA, Monroe would have likely won that game against them. 

Right or wrong, A&M is usually counted up there with BAMA, LSU, Aubbie and then A&M leaving 5th or worse for us.  Aggies are the first door, lets get through it.

NuttinItUp

Aggies have been bullying us and pushing our face in the mud for too long!

6 in a row is too many, and anyone that is not pissed about it is not a true Razorback fan.

HeyHogs

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 12247 on February 22, 2018, 10:14:13 pm
A&M increased their importance in Texas after moving to the SEC.  They just started getting better recruits and I believe it was the SEC thing but I could be wrong.  I think Jimbo is a better coach than most on here give him credit for.

We are about to see. The thing is, Fisher had a lot more talent at his disposal at FSU than he will have at A&M.

At FSU, from 2012-2017 he signed 19-5 stars, 66-4 stars and 52-3 stars and went 40-13 during the period of 2014-2017 with those classes.

A&M, during the same time period signed 9-5 stars, 53-4 stars and 80-3 stars while going 31-21 from 2014-2017.

Clemson's recruiting classes over that same period of time mimic those of A&M much more so than that of FSU and yet, from 2014-2017 Clemson was 3-1 vs. Florida State, a team stacked with a lot of talent and coached by Fisher.

So, we will see what he can do with A&M.
Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

YES if we Beat TAMU this year it will show how bad Brent was compared to the talent we had.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

tomarkansawyer

I think so. It's kinda like Nutt's first year and all we wanted to do was beat SMU, (or at least know we scored against them). I find it ironic that we are back in a similar position and hired SMU's coach who is also a aTm graduate. But that is my immediate measuring stick, a bowl game (6-6 will be just fine at this point) and a aTm win.

porkrindjimmy

I have always said Jimbo Fisher is Houston Nutt with better talent.

We are fixing to see that proved out.

PRJ

Hogarusa

I think some of you are going to be way off with Jimbo at A&M.  Hopefully you are right but A&M is in just as a recruiting rich territory as FSU was. You usually dont luck into national title seasons and 7 straight seasons of 9+ wins.

Meanwhile, Hogs bringing Chad Morris to the fight after 3 sub par Bielema years and recruiting. Starting way behind in the race
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 22, 2018, 08:15:47 pm
Is that what will perhaps turn the tide of public/fan opinion about an improvement in the Razorback football program? We've certainly had near misses over the last 5 years and some losses that were simply gut wrenching.

Sumlin is gone, enter Jimbo Fisher, who many consider to be a great coach. I'll just submit this for conversation and consideration. The vast majority of the talent that Fisher utilized at Florida State (and under-performed with most of the time) came straight out of the low-hanging fruit of recruiting in Florida. Don't believe that? Well here is some factual evidence.

I'm sure the guy is a good recruiter but he is having to completely re-design his recruiting and make more connections in Texas, like he had in Florida. That may not happen overnight and though he may draw some Florida recruits to A&M, it won't be near as many as he was able to land in Florida.

I think that the Morris connection with Texas HS Coaches and their Staffs may pay larger dividends than we have experienced in the past and especially if he can knock off A&M in Jerry-World and take some of the wind out their sails in recruiting in Texas.

Muskogee, I'm convinced there are a few that will be against this coach, no matter what he does.  They'll be waiting to jump on him right after our first loss.  Many of us on this board already know who these posters on this board are and you can tell they have no intention of fairly assessing this coach, his staff or the players.

On the other hand, I think the vast majority of fans want Morris to be successful and the more they learn about him the more he builds our confidence that he is the man for the job.  Those fans will try and stay balanced and let him build the program, planning to see a very good or even great team in three years.

To your question, I don't think just one game (A&M) this year will define he Morris era, or be the measuring stick.  I do however, think that another loss to them to start the season in SEC play will be another punch in the gut.  We've grown to hate that school even more due to the Bielema era, and many of us didn't think that was possible.  All twelve regular season games will guide our analysis of where the program is headed, along with the recruiting.

On the flip side, a win over A&M early will certainly mark the beginning of a "New Era" pun intended, and give us a good deal of optimism for the rest of the 2018 season.  It would be huge from an energy standpoint, but as you mentioned, it will also be a signal to the state of Texas that the worm has turned.  We need a big statement for Texas recruiting and that would be just the one to help this staff hit Texas hard on the recruiting trail.

Mo_Better_Hogs

Good question, and I think the answer is YES.

We've been doing it since Sumlin and Bielema's tenures were practically the same. Now, it's interesting that both programs are re-setting at the same time. Both schools have fresh starts with Fisher and Morris, so it'll be easier to monitor. A&M has a big head start however, just because they have not been as "down" as we have the past few years.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 22, 2018, 08:15:47 pm

For me it would be a great start. Having blown leads in pretty much all the past five or six games to those clowns, finally finishing it properly would be great. However, as others have stated, I'm not going to base my overall assessment of how CMM and the team are performing based on the outcome of one game, no matter how much I might want win it.

My judgment of how well we're performing will also be based on our effort FOR THE ENTIRE GAME, the presence (or lack) of fundamentals such as blocking, tackling, pass coverage and in-game adjustments of the coaching staff. IMO we can't consistently improve over time if we can't have play with maximum effort and solid execution. Get those factors down pat and develop/improve the talent of the field and we'll have laid a solid foundation for the future.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: Hogarusa on February 23, 2018, 08:35:11 am
I think some of you are going to be way off with Jimbo at A&M.  Hopefully you are right but A&M is in just as a recruiting rich territory as FSU was. You usually dont luck into national title seasons and 7 straight seasons of 9+ wins.

Meanwhile, Hogs bringing Chad Morris to the fight after 3 sub par Bielema years and recruiting. Starting way behind in the race

Difference is that for most of that run, Clemson was the only real opponent. The ACC is pretty good now, but for most of that run, they were baaaaad

sickboy

With the way the schedule is arranged, A&M is really the lynchpin to our SEC play every year. It just seems like you have to win that A&M game, assuming you're going to lose the next SEC game to Alabama, so that you're set up to build chemistry as a team deeper into SEC play. As it is, the A&M game is the difference between a decent SEC season or a bad SEC season.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: NuttinItUp on February 22, 2018, 10:15:54 pm
Aggies have been bullying us and pushing our face in the mud for too long!

6 in a row is too many, and anyone that is not pissed about it is not a true Razorback fan.

Amen it worse when you live and work around them.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Al Boarland

Quote from: go hogues on February 22, 2018, 09:08:00 pm
I know that blown leads are synonymous with Arkansas football long before CBB but I just can't stomach the outright quit his teams showed on the field.

It's a depth issue caused by recruiting.  That's why it expands multiple coaches.

jgphillips3

Despite the Bert years, A&M is a comparable program to ours.  Beating them would establish that we are back to being competitive in the mid-tier of the SEC and thus probably is the standard.  It will be a while until we are good enough to beat an Alabama without it being a fluke or one-off upset.  So yes, our measuring stick should be A&M for now most likely.

oldhawg

Quote from: jgphillips3 on February 23, 2018, 12:13:06 pm
Despite the Bert years, A&M is a comparable program to ours.  Beating them would establish that we are back to being competitive in the mid-tier of the SEC and thus probably is the standard.  It will be a while until we are good enough to beat an Alabama without it being a fluke or one-off upset.  So yes, our measuring stick should be A&M for now most likely.

For me, the Texas A&M situation the last half dozen years has been really bothersome.  Arkansas was in a position to win at least three of those games and managed to pull a loss from the jaws of victory.  This as well as losses to Toledo, Texas Tech, and poor play against Coastal Carolina and TCU last year were major spikes in Bielema's coffin IMO.

To me, this first A&M game will mean more to the players and therefore the team than anything else.  These Players so badly need the reassurance that they are not what they've shown since being Hogs.  If they win, they can look in the mirror and see a person who CAN and thats a huge mental uplift.  Getting beat just won't do that.  Losing will make my stomach hurt but if we play well, I won't take it hard for long. 

Nashville Fan

8 wins is the measuring stick in my mind. Until we beat 1/2 of the SEC opponents that we play we will be bottom half of the SEC.

If you are asking me what one program that if we beat, I will be okay with the season -  aTm or Auburn.
Pittman or Bust!

Hogarusa

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on February 23, 2018, 11:12:17 am
Difference is that for most of that run, Clemson was the only real opponent. The ACC is pretty good now, but for most of that run, they were baaaaad

SEC is baaaaad now outside of Bama and Georgia. I mean, perhaps it will change over a few years but you think Aggie fans are scared of the lineup Matt Luke, Chad Morris, Ed O, Gus, and Moorhead?
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: Hogarusa on February 23, 2018, 12:59:12 pm
SEC is baaaaad now outside of Bama and Georgia. I mean, perhaps it will change over a few years but you think Aggie fans are scared of the lineup Matt Luke, Chad Morris, Ed O, Gus, and Moorhead?

Not at the same level of bad, and he's not at the flagship program for the conference anymore.

GoHogzzGo

Just win baby. I’ll judge the end of season record.

The losing streak against TAMU is stunningly embarrassing. However if we lose to that brainwashed mass again but beat Ole Miss, MSU, LSU, and Aub. On the way to an 8 win season. (Or remove a team and add a bowl win, not the point) I would consider CCM already ahead of Bielema. I don’t expect that, just an example.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hogarusa on February 23, 2018, 08:35:11 am

It is difficult to say whether Texas is as fertile of a recruiting ground as Florida is, at least for SEC type players. Lots of schools dip into Texas for players and some doggone good players come from there, but is the speed found in players across the board in Texas as great as it is found in Florida? Maybe, maybe not. We will see. From 2012-2017 A&M signed a grand total of 9-5 star players(6 from Texas). Fisher signed 16 and 6 of those were from Florida.

Now maybe Fisher will search outside of Texas for greater talent at A&M because Texas is rebounding in recruiting going from #25 in 2017 to #3 in 2018. That can't be good news for A&M as Fisher begins his rebuild.
Go Hogs Go!

OLEJACKETFAN

I havnt kept up with the Hogs in a few years. Just came on board when CM was hired. I need some answers, so will someone explain to me,  why do so many doubt Arkansas chances against A&M? Was the Talent Gap that wide? The game was OT last year. A shootout! Did Arkansas just get lucky to go to OT? I cant give my opinion because I didn't see it. But I do believe the Hogs now have the better DC. I know CM is a upgrade over your last guy. Im not sold on Jimbo at all! I really like Arkansas chances at AT&T, what am I missing?

roothawg

jimbo will find out this isnt the acc. his team will be in a fight every game not just a couple

ChitownHawg

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

SugarHillGaHog

My measuring stick is NO embarrassing second half collapse.  I don't care the opponent.

liljo

Quote from: SugarHillGaHog on February 23, 2018, 08:59:45 pm
My measuring stick is NO embarrassing second half collapse.  I don't care the opponent.

I'll drink to that! Go Hogs!
Hogville: A place where Hog fans gather to discuss all things Razorbacks in peace.

ChicoHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 23, 2018, 06:37:29 pm
It is difficult to say whether Texas is as fertile of a recruiting ground as Florida is, at least for SEC type players. Lots of schools dip into Texas for players and some doggone good players come from there, but is the speed found in players across the board in Texas as great as it is found in Florida? Maybe, maybe not. We will see. From 2012-2017 A&M signed a grand total of 9-5 star players(6 from Texas). Fisher signed 16 and 6 of those were from Florida.

Now maybe Fisher will search outside of Texas for greater talent at A&M because Texas is rebounding in recruiting going from #25 in 2017 to #3 in 2018. That can't be good news for A&M as Fisher begins his rebuild.
Count me in the group that considers Fisher a decent coach, not great-not bad, but a very good recruiter.  He already has a pretty good 2019 class going and he has been there a very short time.  At FSU he did great with Jameis Winston but struggled after he left.  Reminds me a lot of Meyer at UF.  Was great with Zook's recruits in his first year 2006 and of course with Tebow from 2006-2009 but as soon as Tebow left they were slightly above average and never did recruit/develop a good QB since.  And both recruited many high risk guys that got in trouble.  Having Texas play well and get back fighting for the Big 12 upper echelon will help us as Texas HS kids will be interested in the 'Horns more than the Aggies.  We need to beat those guys probably more than anyone else on our schedule to help recruiting and momentum for the rest of the season. 

NuttinItUp

Quote from: OLEJACKETFAN on February 23, 2018, 07:15:17 pm
I havnt kept up with the Hogs in a few years. Just came on board when CM was hired. I need some answers, so will someone explain to me,  why do so many doubt Arkansas chances against A&M? Was the Talent Gap that wide? The game was OT last year. A shootout! Did Arkansas just get lucky to go to OT? I cant give my opinion because I didn't see it. But I do believe the Hogs now have the better DC. I know CM is a upgrade over your last guy. Im not sold on Jimbo at all! I really like Arkansas chances at AT&T, what am I missing?

Aggies have won 6 in a row.

3 out of the last 4 years have been OT, but we always seem to be on the wrong side of it.

We haven't beaten A&M since we have both been in the SEC. (think about that for a second)

By chance alone, some of the close games over the last 6 contests should have gone our way. If you look on Aggie boards, they now take it for granted every year when they play us that they will beat us. Any true Arkansas fan should have their piss hot over this rivalry.

The NewEra

What irks me most about the losses to aTm over the past six years is I felt we should have won at least four if not all of those games and the reason we didn't was a direct reflection on coaching, in particular the head coach.  In my opinion Sumlin isn't a very good coach and to be out coached by him ranks our previous coach at a pretty low level as a coach.

I hope that Fisher can't get much more out of his team than Sumlin did.  I for one think we made a serious upgrade in head coaching talent and that should bode well for the future if true. 

rtr

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 23, 2018, 06:37:29 pm

I think there is a lot of speed in Texas as much as Florida.  Arkansas produces speed in it's hs talent, just wish there was more of it.  The difference in the SEC is the combination of size, strength and speed.  Hard to get all three.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

31to6

Quote from: go hogues on February 22, 2018, 09:08:00 pm
To me, in year one, the measuring stick will be fighting in games until the final horn. I know that blown leads are synonymous with Arkansas football long before CBB but I just can't stomach the outright quit his teams showed on the field.

Going forward in the SEC, I believe we'll lose to A&M more than we beat them but in year one, I will not be devastated if Morris' squad gets beat by the Aggies.
I want to see us still throwing haymakers in the 4th quarter. A high-octane offense should be able to erase a 2-score margin in <10 minutes if you get stops or turnovers, so the team should never feel like they are out of a game.

What I will be looking for is a not just playing hard, but *believing* they will win no matter the score.

Nolan's teams always had that faith that they would get a run or two and win. Fans never worried with the team down 8 at the half ("right where we want them") I know basketball and football don't translate, but you look at the best football teams, the ones that win big games, and the one common factor is belief in themselves, their coaches and the system to win a game even when the score is going the wrong way.

They don't walk out of the locker room at halftime with a plan to hold on for dear life for 30 minutes. They run out eager to put the game away.

jcharkansas

That will be a good start to the coaches career here if he does beat ATM but like the original post said, they have got a lot of talent. It is just hard to tell until we see something... spring practice etc...

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: rtr on February 24, 2018, 11:05:45 am
I think there is a lot of speed in Texas as much as Florida.  Arkansas produces speed in it's hs talent, just wish there was more of it.  The difference in the SEC is the combination of size, strength and speed.  Hard to get all three.

I guess that is what I was getting at in my statement but I didn't state it as clearly as you did. Good job.

If I were located in Texas I would recruit the in-state higher level recruits as much as possible (given the competition from other schools), but if I needed to mix in talent from other states to help produce a team full of higher level talent, I'd spend a lot of time in Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Louisiana and then cherry-pick from California, Virginia, Tennessee, Mississippi, Arkansas and Oklahoma.
Go Hogs Go!

The NewEra

Quote from: 31to6 on February 24, 2018, 12:30:05 pm
I want to see us still throwing haymakers in the 4th quarter. A high-octane offense should be able to erase a 2-score margin in <10 minutes if you get stops or turnovers, so the team should never feel like they are out of a game.

What I will be looking for is a not just playing hard, but *believing* they will win no matter the score.

Nolan's teams always had that faith that they would get a run or two and win. Fans never worried with the team down 8 at the half ("right where we want them") I know basketball and football don't translate, but you look at the best football teams, the ones that win big games, and the one common factor is belief in themselves, their coaches and the system to win a game even when the score is going the wrong way.

They don't walk out of the locker room at halftime with a plan to hold on for dear life for 30 minutes. They run out eager to put the game away.

Just for grins I watched the 2011 Sugar Bowl against Ohio State last night.  I would bet every fan looks forward to a day that we become that formidable an offense again.  We will have that type of offense with Morris.  Despite all Petrino's faults he is a great offensive mind and play caller.  It will take us a few years before we are as proficient as we were in 2011, but we will be seeing that mind set from the very beginning with our new staff.  I know the goal is to have a much better defense.  My money is on Chavis getting us much better sooner rather than later.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The NewEra on February 24, 2018, 01:59:26 pm
Just for grins I watched the 2011 Sugar Bowl against Ohio State last night.  I would bet every fan looks forward to a day that we become that formidable an offense again.  We will have that type of offense with Morris.  Despite all Petrino's faults he is a great offensive mind and play caller.  It will take us a few years before we are as proficient as we were in 2011, but we will be seeing that mind set from the very beginning with our new staff.  I know the goal is to have a much better defense.  My money is on Chavis getting us much better sooner rather than later.

While most of the conversation these days seems to focus on the offense and the change to the Morris philosophy (Razor-Fast), I will submit that the change in the defense, the DC and his philosophy will add more wins or losses to 2018 than the offense will. I'm not worried about the offense, it will matriculate and progress with each passing year. It is the defense that has held us back in the past most of the time. Improve on the defensive side of ball and we will see more wins.
Go Hogs Go!

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 24, 2018, 02:31:32 pm
While most of the conversation these days seems to focus on the offense and the change to the Morris philosophy (Razor-Fast), I will submit that the change in the defense, the DC and his philosophy will add more wins or losses to 2018 than the offense will. I'm not worried about the offense, it will matriculate and progress with each passing year. It is the defense that has held us back in the past most of the time. Improve on the defensive side of ball and we will see more wins.

Absolutely right!  And, that was one of Petrino's faults too, the defense.  Watching that game again last night, we were light years better in Petrino's tenure than the past two years, but we were still losing games because of weaknesses on the defense.  We would have won the Ohio State game if we had played better in the first half.

Cinco de Hogo

I will never give aTm the status Texass had in the old SWC days!

Alabama "deserves" that status if you feel you have to have a team that beating them means your season is a success.  However losing to aTm more often than not can still give you that sick feeling in the pit of your stomach.  My only measuring stick is number of win and the relationship those wins have to our chances of getting to the SECCG.  Simple fact, beating aTm early is a great start towards something good.

redeye

I don't consider A&M a measuring stick.  They're just another SEC-W team to me.

Hoggish1

Jimbo infuriated me when he had the FSU job. He steadily ran that well charged battery down.

His failure to win with those type players was bewildering.  He won't come close to getting that kind of talent in TX.  First of all, they are not built to play his style  of ball (TAMU or the state), so he will be starting over there trying to make a silk purse out of a sows ear with the personnel they are currently built with.

If Jimbo was smart he'd adapt early on to the talent hand he was dealt but he's stubborn (see FSU's steady regression after winning that NCship and sticking with a DC who wasn't capable after Pruitt left for UGA.).

Jimbo will also frustrate his QB AND the kid, whomever it is, will regress over time.

Melancholy_Pigg

I'm in with the crowd who will see progress if we do not have any more 2nd-half collapses - those became for me the trademark of the Bielema tenure at Arkansas.

Imagine having a son in his early teens whose only exposure to aTm has been from the Manziel ags and their 6 year streak against Arkansas.  Boy that is depressing.

I work with a couple of aggies.  One guy was in Los Angeles at their epic 2nd-half debacle against UCLA and that took a lot of the fire out of him.  I told him I was sorry that ruined his trip and that aTm was really a much better team.

The other guy was bragging about the Jimbo hire and during the discussion I slipped in a little history as regards another aTm big-money hire - Jackie Sherrill - and how it never really panned out (I don't know if he did or didn't but I know they didn't pan out overall but I know they didn't get a NC out of it).  Lol I later transferred this guy some of my problem accounts lol!

I side with a Baylor guy who swears up and down that the Baylor-Briles debacle was orchestrated by politics - by people being embarrassed at Baylor doing so well and becoming briefly the flagship football school - I can tell it bugs them.

But yeah the aggie fans are annoying.  Always trying to needle people and letting their football passion spill into work.  Real small minded types that way.

oldhawg

Quote from: redeye on February 24, 2018, 08:51:53 pm
Quote from: Hoggish1 on February 24, 2018, 11:49:29 pm

His failure to win with those type players was bewildering.

Failure to win??

Fisher averaged 10.3 wins a season during his eight year tenure at Florida State, and a national championship.  By comparison, over that same period of time the University of Florida averaged 7.5 wins a season, and the Miami University averaged 7.75 wins a season.

I would like to see Arkansas experience that kind of failure over the next eight years. 

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

247Hog

Quote from: redeye on February 24, 2018, 08:51:53 pm

I think the A&M game is more than just an SEC-W game. A&M game give a real snapshot of the team and also the opportunity to fix major flaws going into the beef of the season. Not wanting this to turn into a bash CBB thread but it seemed the past few seasons, we didn't learn our lessons in this game and tried the same thing after the Auburn game. This game can make or break our season depending on what the staff does after the game, not necessarily just the W or L from the game.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: oldhawg on February 25, 2018, 12:00:04 pm
Failure to win??

Fisher averaged 10.3 wins a season during his eight year tenure at Florida State, and a national championship.  By comparison, over that same period of time the University of Florida averaged 7.5 wins a season, and the Miami University averaged 7.75 wins a season.

I would like to see Arkansas experience that kind of failure over the next eight years. 

Yes, I'd like to see Arkansas have had that level of success as well. But Fisher did underachieve at FSU with the talent that he had at his disposal.

Fisher averaged having the #5 recruiting class at Florida State over all those years yet Clemson, who averaged having a #15 class over the same period of time, managed to be the hump that he rarely seemed to get over during the end of his tenure at FSU. Fisher lost 4 in a season twice, 3 in a season twice and ended his tenure at Florida State with 6 losses. How does a guy who averages a #5 class over 8 years lose that many games and the last 3 in a row to Clemson? With the resurgence of the Shorthorns in recruiting and having to compete with everyone else who are already established in recruiting in Texas, I don't think Fisher is going to be able to land the talent that he has been accustomed to having at Florida State. And Fisher is definitely not a coach who does more, with less.
Go Hogs Go!

247Hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on February 25, 2018, 12:55:40 pm
Yes, I'd like to see Arkansas have had that level of success as well. But Fisher did underachieve at FSU with the talent that he had at his disposal.

Fisher averaged having the #5 recruiting class at Florida State over all those years yet Clemson, who averaged having a #15 class over the same period of time, managed to be the hump that he rarely seemed to get over during the end of his tenure at FSU. Fisher lost 4 in a season twice, 3 in a season twice and ended his tenure at Florida State with 6 losses. How does a guy who averages a #5 class over 8 years lose that many games and the last 3 in a row to Clemson? With the resurgence of the Shorthorns in recruiting and having to compete with everyone else who are already established in recruiting in Texas, I don't think Fisher is going to be able to land the talent that he has been accustomed to having at Florida State. And Fisher is definitely not a coach who does more, with less.

Spot on.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan