Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Awful quiet! For you experts, what can we expect Wednesday?

Started by Virgil, February 05, 2018, 11:06:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Virgil

I'm not finding much info at all.  Who do we realistically have a chance at signing that's not on the committed list? 

Thanks for any info.
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: Virgil on February 05, 2018, 11:06:07 am
I'm not finding much info at all.  Who do we realistically have a chance at signing that's not on the committed list? 

Thanks for any info.
We have a very realistic chance at signing 3-5 Wednesday that are not currently committed. We also have a realistic chance at losing a current commitment 

Id say we have a very high chance to sign Brule, Foucha, and Johnson. Then i say we sign 1 or 2 between Gerald, Emmit, and Okechukwu. And a pretty high chance we lose Parker to Texas

RaisinHog

Bassically ever since wholehogsports became a big time pay sight this board has died ... Last year and this year have been some of the most boring recruiting seasons ever :(

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: bigpigpimpin on February 05, 2018, 11:28:51 am
here is what you can expect: A top 25 recruiting class or near that, and everyone will be excited for that, not paying attention that the class will still be near the bottom of the SEC, and then no one can figure out why we are winning 7 games or less a year. But, stars dont matter right?
Bret is no longer the coach at UofA. Step away from the ledge

Virgil

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on February 05, 2018, 11:13:53 am
We have a very realistic chance at signing 3-5 Wednesday that are not currently committed. We also have a realistic chance at losing a current commitment 

Id say we have a very high chance to sign Brule, Foucha, and Johnson. Then i say we sign 1 or 2 between Gerald, Emmit, and Okechukwu. And a pretty high chance we lose Parker to Texas

Thanks for sharing the info and not derailing the thread.  I agree on Parker from the few things I've read about his Texas visit.

Smashmouth2004

We will not be close to having a Top 25 class. I'm very disappointed in losing Parker!

hawg1221

here is what you can expect: A top 25 recruiting class or near that, and everyone will be excited for that, not paying attention that the class will still be near the bottom of the SEC, and then no one can figure out why we are winning 7 games or less a year. But, stars dont matter right?

Optimism. I like it!

Cinco de Hogo

Obvisiouly neither does coaching, right?

The_Boot_stops_here

Apparently those still in play include Foucha, Brule, Moody (if Bama doesn't have a lb deccommit), Traveon Johnson (if he can qualify), Dorian Gerald (although probably headed to UF, which would make Okechukwu likely I suppose).  Of course, I'm assuming Parker makes it official with UT soon.  Am I missing anyone?

Oklahawg

This is the deadest of dead periods. Coaches can't visit players, players can't visit campuses. Those wanting a signing day splash realize they only have 48 hours to keep quiet before they can spread the good word.

The last couple of years we had a quiet couple of days before signing day because:
1. a time or two we had a number of big prospects deciding between us and what most consider "bigger fish" (certainly, they are bigger if they are the local, in-state school). We had to play it cool waiting out decisions and hat choices
2. a time or two we filled up and had no signing day drama. It was anti-climatic for most around here
3. this year the number of scholarships is way down, and that means the number of options is way down also. I would hate for us to be targeting 22-25 with the names left on the board.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

I think we will discover that there are some players already on campus who will prosper because of a regime change. New opportunities, new philosophies, etc. Way too much existing talent to not feel good about some of them taking a big step forward: Cantrell, Gragg, Bell, Taylor, Guidry, Fisher, Munson, and a host of young DBs.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Hogindasticks

Quote from: Oklahawg on February 05, 2018, 12:24:27 pm
I think we will discover that there are some players already on campus who will prosper because of a regime change. New opportunities, new philosophies, etc. Way too much existing talent to not feel good about some of them taking a big step forward: Cantrell, Gragg, Bell, Taylor, Guidry, Fisher, Munson, and a host of young DBs.

I agree completely...with the new additions...i see this team being pretty salty this year.

WOOPIGDOOIE

We have plenty of talent, but depth is a weakness.

LumberBacks

Quote from: Smashmouth2004 on February 05, 2018, 11:37:18 am
We will not be close to having a Top 25 class. I'm very disappointed in losing Parker!
Seems odd on Parker to UT although that's the trend.   His offers from Arkansas, TCU, aTm and UT can on in the last two weeks.  Before that he didn't necessarily have an impressive offer list.  Aside from a kicker/punter, the lowest 247 score for their signed/committed recruits is 0.8763.  Parker scores a 0.8288.   That's a big jump.  UT has already signed a 4* ILB.  Good luck to the kid wherever he decides to play.

LumberBacks

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on February 05, 2018, 12:29:53 pm
We have plenty of talent, but depth is a weakness.
You could move this over to Jump Ball, too.  At least the Omahogs are deep.

liljo

My thoughts as well.

Never--EVER--never underestimate coaching. This team has a lot of experience returning. Yes, much of that experience has been bad. But that can be quite a motivation in and of itself. I do believe some very talented players on this current roster have a chance to step up now.

Go Hogs.
Slow down, son. You'll ride past a lot more good stuff than you'll ever catch up to.

WoooPigSooieShane

Who hurt you????

Quote from: WOOPIGDOOIE on February 05, 2018, 11:13:53 am

This seems about as accurate of a finish. I'm partly nervous about Brule going to MS St since they got the last visit, but I think he'll end up being a Hog.

The class will probably end up closer to being in the 40's range around where Mizzou's rank is at. And honestly, I am fine with it.

This staff was screwed by the early signing period. They have been out recruiting their tails off since coming in. They have done a good job at getting guys like Brule, Johnson, Bishop, Ferrell, Boyd, Foucha, Mason, Fulwider to come in. I think they have identified where we were in need of depth, at the D-Line, O-Line, and DB's.

This staff is going to have to work their tails off to get this program back to competing at a top 25 level. And it sure seems like this staff is willing to put in the work. 2019 will be the benchmark as to how this staff recruits.

Paul

Quote from: RaisinHog on February 05, 2018, 11:29:04 am
Bassically ever since wholehogsports became a big time pay sight this board has died ... Last year and this year have been some of the most boring recruiting seasons ever :(
LOL! if you think this board is dead you should see that Whole Hog sports recruiting forum.  It has decomposed!

Polecat

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on February 05, 2018, 12:20:29 pm
Apparently those still in play include Foucha, Brule, Moody (if Bama doesn't have a lb deccommit), Traveon Johnson (if he can qualify), Dorian Gerald (although probably headed to UF, which would make Okechukwu likely I suppose).  Of course, I'm assuming Parker makes it official with UT soon.  Am I missing anyone?

I'm hearing that Johnson is not signing with anyone on Wednesday ...
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

Hogindasticks

I agree, a mid pack ranking is fine this year, but I think they have been targeting kids that fit their bill as needed.  Next year will be a good year for recruiting, since they were able to get a head start on it this year I believe. Look out, here come the HOGS!

Virgil

Quote from: Polecat on February 05, 2018, 12:56:35 pm
[/quot]

That's the same info I've heard this morning.  Maybe prep or juco.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Polecat on February 05, 2018, 12:56:35 pm

not surprised....hence the "if he can qualify"...too bad

Bubba's Bruisers

I'd be thrilled if we could snag Brule and Foucha to finish things.  Thrilled.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Oklahawg

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 05, 2018, 02:03:40 pm
I'd be thrilled if we could snag Brule and Foucha to finish things.  Thrilled.

Agreed.

I kind of want a slot for a grad transfer - let the staff see the actual roster strengths and weaknesses and use a spot or two for grads who can shore up a weak area.

I appreciate the numerous replies to my post above - no one was snarky about the players or the coach that recruited them.

Vantage 8 dude

And considering the circumstances concerning the timing of hires, etc. you were apparently expecting something different ??? In any event it will be what it will be......let's hope that your very gloomy and typical negative assessment of the future of Hog football is full of dung. Besides, who knows? Perhaps the staff will actually overachieve and can actually get the maximum effort and whatever talent there is out of both current and incoming players. We sure the heck haven't had any of that over the past several years. Personally I'm not ready to throw in the towel before the first spring practice, off season or summer camp under the CMM regime. At least I'll give them the benefit of the doubt until proven otherwise.....unlike you.

ballinhog

My prediction is we finish with Foucha, that's it. And lose Parker

AirWarren

I agree with this.

thebignasty

A top 25 ish class after how bad early signing period went for us would be a real win.

Hogindasticks

Quote from: thebignasty on February 05, 2018, 03:10:05 pm
A top 25 ish class after how bad early signing period went for us would be a real win.

I consider this a great baby step in the right direction.

blu

Y'all, a top 20 wasn't going to happen no way no how - we don't have enough openings to sign enough athletes to get us there. This is the first year in a long time that we haven't been able to sign the quantity of players needed for ranking. That's ok, we seem to be doing ok, and we have gotten a good start on next year's class which will hopefully be in the top 20. We do have some decent returning talent, and we should be competitive next year.
"But it is no shame to suffer for being a Christian. Praise God for the privilege of being called by His name!"  I Peter 4:16

jackflash

I think this staff has done a great job of recruiting for the short time they been here

WOOPIGDOOIE

Well MSU thinks they are getting Brule. 247 shows him still getting CB picks for Arkansas, so i guess we will see tomorrow. And Andrew Parker supposedly told someone from Texas that if he flips, he would announce it Sunday after his OV. No announcement was made, so that could be a good sign. But again, we will just see what happens tomorrow. Jaylen Moody has yet to commit to Bama, so i have a feeling that he may be a back up plan for them. He really wanted that Bama offer, so im surprised he hasnt commit already.

Porkys Revenge

I see Miles Battle is headed to ole miss. How on gods green earth do they beat us for his signature? I don't get it.

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on February 06, 2018, 07:51:12 am
I see Miles Battle is headed to ole miss. How on gods green earth do they beat us for his signature? I don't get it.
I heard Tommy Bush could be going to.... BAYLOR. They selling snake oil down there

hawg1221

KevinOMReb

Quote from: Porkys Revenge on February 06, 2018, 07:51:12 am

Moncreif, Treadwell, Core, Ingram, next year Brown and Lodge, then Metcalf.  Plus Jacob Peeler is an excellent recruiter.  And Corral as a signee slinging it around for the next 3-4 years. 
Hotty Toddy,
KevinOMReb

hawg1221

My way of thinking is beat us in recruiting all you want.  Just don't beat us on the playing field, which OM hasn't been very successful at.

KevinOMReb

Quote from: hawg1221 on February 06, 2018, 08:43:01 am
My way of thinking is beat us in recruiting all you want.  Just don't beat us on the playing field, which OM hasn't been very successful at.
Indeed we haven't!
Hotty Toddy,
KevinOMReb

Tusks

I'm disappointed but there's no way you can look at this new signing period and not factor how it's affected reciting this year with coaching changes.

There's no way to make it work.  You can fire your HC in the middle of the season but a new coach want's to coach their old team as far as they can take them.  That just doesn't leave enough time to recruit much.  By the time you interview, vet and then that coach is still coaching, the square peg just doesn't fit the round hole.

The greatest achievement CBB had at AR was his first recruiting class.  So I'd rather have a below avg. first recruiting class with better things to come than peak the first month on the job.

I think next year will tell fans a lot more about what kind of recruiter CM is.

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

HeyHogs

How can this even be remotely true?  We are sitting around 72 in the nation now tied with Arkansas State?

imtad16

Quote from: HeyHogs on February 06, 2018, 10:25:16 am
How can this even be remotely true?  We are sitting around 72 in the nation now tied with Arkansas State?

Ark -----> 247 Ranking #48 | 247 Composite Ranking #56 - 15 Commits/Signees

Ark State -----> 247 Ranking #87 | 247 Composite Ranking #83 - 22 Commits/Signees

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: HeyHogs on February 06, 2018, 10:25:16 am

Hook 'em Hogs

I think one BIG advantage that we're not considering is that in a year when our recruiting is understandably down, we NEED less players than in a normal cycle.  I know we might not be getting the best of the best, and it would be nice to have new players, but the truth is that we can't fit a full recruiting class in.  That means that Morris is inheriting more legit college football players that have collegiate strength and conditioning, they understand the rigors of college athletics.  They've played in front of HUGE crowds.  This is a silver lining at least. 

I understand the counter argument of how these "legit college players" only won 4 collegiate games last year, but every new recruit coming has won none and started in none.  If Morris can coach, this might be the best case scenario. 

Just a thought though.  I may very well be wrong. 

HeyHogs

Quote from: imtad16 on February 06, 2018, 10:37:18 am
Ark -----> 247 Ranking #48 | 247 Composite Ranking #56 - 15 Commits/Signees

Ark State -----> 247 Ranking #87 | 247 Composite Ranking #83 - 22 Commits/Signees

https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2018/all-teams/football

HeyHogs

Quote from: Hook 'em Hogs on February 06, 2018, 10:46:57 am
I think one BIG advantage that we're not considering is that in a year when our recruiting is understandably down, we NEED less players than in a normal cycle.  I know we might not be getting the best of the best, and it would be nice to have new players, but the truth is that we can't fit a full recruiting class in.  That means that Morris is inheriting more legit college football players that have collegiate strength and conditioning, they understand the rigors of college athletics.  They've played in front of HUGE crowds.  This is a silver lining at least. 

I understand the counter argument of how these "legit college players" only won 4 collegiate games last year, but every new recruit coming has won none and started in none.  If Morris can coach, this might be the best case scenario. 

Just a thought though.  I may very well be wrong.
It is a good thought.  I am not convinced that Morris can coach no matter what some say here.  The proof is in the pudding as they say.

WOOPIGDOOIE

Quote from: HeyHogs on February 06, 2018, 10:49:21 am
It is a good thought.  I am not convinced that Morris can coach no matter what some say here.  The proof is in the pudding as they say.
Most simple minded people that actually dont research it, and just look at W-L record think the same way.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

imtad16

Quote from: HeyHogs on February 06, 2018, 10:47:07 am
https://n.rivals.com/team_rankings/2018/all-teams/football

247 composite includes Rivals evaluations/ratings in the formula. 247 probably has the most resources of all the recruiting sites (They own Scout and are owned by CBS) and at the very least a ranking that factors in all 4 major recruiting services is just a better source.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

I still think he is Jason Peters 2.0 and will reach his full potential at left tackle. Now that we have a staff the values slimmer more agile linemen, Cantrell could easily slide into that position and dominate
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Oklahawg

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on February 06, 2018, 11:31:20 am
I still think he is Jason Peters 2.0 and will reach his full potential at left tackle. Now that we have a staff the values slimmer more agile linemen, Cantrell could easily slide into that position and dominate

Interesting idea. He is good with the ball in his hands, but if he added 20 pounds I agree on the LT. Plus, he plays mean, just a bit, and I love that.