Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anyone tried Tabata?

Started by Huckleberry Pig, January 07, 2014, 11:33:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Huckleberry Pig

January 07, 2014, 11:33:36 am Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 11:47:08 am by Huckleberry Pig
I started crossfit a month ago and also started running 2-3 times a week (interval running for 3 miles) on my off days (had been in the worst shape of my life).  I will be adding tabata to the end of my running days.   

It's high intensity training for 20 seconds and then 10 seconds of rest.  You want to go as hard as you can for 20 seconds, no half-assing.  You do this 8 times (so 4 minutes total).  It's supposed to be great for fat burning.  I'm not fat but I'm not very defined in my core so I will be doing this to try and get more toned.  You can mix and match exercises as you please.  I will be doing strictly core exercises for each round (crunches, mountain climbers, jump rope, twists, etc.)

Anyone have any experience with this?  Have one buddy who does it at the end of his normal workout and swears by it.  Apparently it really boosts your metabolism and keeps it at a high rate well after your workout.

Here's an article that goes into more detail about it:

http://tabatatraining.org/

Hogfly

Quote from: Huckleberry Pig on January 07, 2014, 11:33:36 am
I started crossfit a month ago and also started running 2-3 times a week (interval running for 3 miles) on my off days (had been in the worst shape of my life).  I will be adding tabata to the end of my running days.   

It's high intensity training for 20 seconds and then 10 seconds of rest.  You want to go as hard as you can for 20 seconds, no half-assing.  You do this 8 times (so 4 minutes total).  It's supposed to be great for fat burning.  I'm not fat but I'm not very defined in my core so I will be doing this to try and get more toned.  You can mix and match exercises as you please.  I will be doing strictly core exercises for each round (crunches, mountain climbers, jump rope, twists, etc.)

Anyone have any experience with this?  Have one buddy who does it at the end of his normal workout and swears by it.  Apparently it really boosts your metabolism and keeps it at a high rate well after your workout.

Here's an article that goes into more detail about it:

http://tabatatraining.org/

I do this a lot with kettle bells. I don't always use the very specifically timed intervals that tabata prescribes (though sometimes I do), but the principle is the same. It's effective. Though I'd say you're getting a lot of the same benefits from your normal Crossfit WODs.

Hogsmo Kramer

Try tabata on the bike or rower and then cuss me later.

It's freaking brutal if you go all out but is a great addition to regular cardio and for a finisher at the end of a workout.

I used to make some of my clients do it at the gym and it was a method they loved to hate.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

Huckleberry Pig

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on January 08, 2014, 09:19:14 am

It's freaking brutal if you go all out but is a great addition to regular cardio and for a finisher at the end of a workout.

I used to make some of my clients do it at the gym and it was a method they loved to hate.

thanks for the suggestion Hogsmo, will have to try that

clutch

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on January 08, 2014, 09:19:14 am

I usually do tabata on the bike like you mentioned. That's my go-to cardio workout when I want a killer. 

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: clutch on January 08, 2014, 12:40:33 pm
I usually do tabata on the bike like you mentioned. That's my go-to cardio workout when I want a killer.

Yeah it causes "Bambi leg syndrome" like no other. :D

clutch

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on January 08, 2014, 02:04:01 pm
Yeah it causes "Bambi leg syndrome" like no other. :D

What college team were you with when you were doing s&c coaching?

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: clutch on January 08, 2014, 04:13:23 pm
What college team were you with when you were doing s&c coaching?

I sent you a PM.

Huckleberry Pig

will say i'm a little tentative to try it on the bike unless it's before a rest day.  if i do it the day before crossfit and we ended up doing squats or wall balls, i may collapse lol