Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How much do we beat Auburn by in game 1?

Started by Killean, July 02, 2014, 06:25:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

What's our margin of victory?

1-3
43 (16.4%)
4-7
103 (39.3%)
8-14
54 (20.6%)
15+
36 (13.7%)
I'm an Auburn Fan
26 (9.9%)

Total Members Voted: 260

Killean

Beating Auburn, crazy?

Not so fast.

We held Auburn to fewer yards than any other team last season.  Malzahn offenses also start seasons very slow.  Our offense was gashing Auburn but was hampered by 3 turnovers, 2 of them by AJ Derpy.  Tre Mason, who's no longer there, had 32 carries for 168 yards.  Williams/Collins combined for 33 carries and 196 yards.

Our finest performance last season was in our FIRST game.  We look to be improved on both offense and defense.  Auburn is more of a question mark.

Auburn players won't be able to take Arkansas seriously whereas our team will be out for blood.

We will win, the question is just the margin.
Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

ChitownHawg

PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Killean

Don't forget that we were making a strong comeback last season when Saint Gus panicked and called this play...

Everyone is born with the right to exist. When you become a Nazi you give up that right.

Poker_hog

Quote from: Killean on July 02, 2014, 06:45:01 pm
Don't forget that we were making a strong comeback last season when Saint Gus panicked and called this play...

Reminds me of the World Cup
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Poker_hog on July 02, 2014, 06:46:51 pm
Reminds me of the World Cup

That is not very classy making fun of an injured player.  ;D
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

HiggiePiggy

If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

Sed76

We can score a hundred points but if the defense can't defend that hand off up the middle and quarterback keeper we will get beat.

Calling All Hogs

Since we are playing at Auburn I'm guessing Gus will keep it within 50 or so.

Augustus

Do I hope we win? Absolutely. 

But, I think the better question would be: "How many points could we lose to Auburn by, and Hogville not lose it's collective ****?"

Hogarusa

There's that argument that Gus's teams start slow again.  Completely made up
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

Killean

Quote from: lowberh on July 02, 2014, 07:26:01 pm

Gus coached teams are 1-2 in opening games against BCS teams.  The lone win was against Washington State who probably should have won that game.

Here are the first half point totals in those 3 games.  7, 10, 25.

Auburn scored 14 on us by halftime last season.

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: lowberh on July 02, 2014, 07:26:01 pm

Yeah I don't know where people came up with that.  The guy has coached 2 years. 

arkfan81

The fact that some of you are writing us off is unbearable. I don't understand what makes yall think auburn is so much better then us. This isn't last season, stop comparing us to last years team.

I do believe we can beat them...go hogs
Have faith...

HOGINTENNESSEE

Hogarusa

Quote from: Killean on July 02, 2014, 07:30:04 pm
Gus coached teams are 1-2 in opening games against BCS teams.  The lone win was against Washington State who probably should have won that game.

Here are the first half point totals in those 3 games.  7, 10, 25.

Auburn scored 14 on us by halftime last season.

If you are speaking as head coach, he has 2 years under his belt. His first game as Arkansas State head coach was at top 5 Oregon.  We really holding this one against him?
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

PorkSoda

Quote from: lowberh on July 02, 2014, 08:15:42 pm
If you are speaking as head coach, he has 2 years under his belt. His first game as Arkansas State head coach was at top 5 Oregon.  We really holding this one against him?
I would think that is a pretty similar comparison to the upcoming game.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

yraciv

Quote from: Killean on July 02, 2014, 06:25:23 pm

Our finest performance last season was in our FIRST game.  We look to be improved on both offense and defense.  Auburn is more of a question mark.

Just cause we won hardly makes a win over Lafayette. Our best effort last year was down in Red Stick or sticking w/ the high powered Aggie offense for 3 quarters.

buldozer

We could win this game, lightning could strike Gus and I could hit the lottery.... but I don't think any of those things are going to happen... I just hope we keep it within a couple of scores so the kids don't all get discouraged.

Ramtough

I used to always think we could win. If they beat us by less than 14 and BA can still walk after the game then that would be improvement.

JansterZ71

Quote from: arkfan81 on July 02, 2014, 08:08:42 pm
The fact that some of you are writing us off is unbearable. I don't understand what makes yall think auburn is so much better then us. This isn't last season, stop comparing us to last years team.

Maybe because they are better at almost every position?
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

Calling All Hogs

Quote from: lowberh on July 02, 2014, 08:15:42 pm
Gus did wind up beating the 33 point spread in that game but considering that Oregon was up 50-10 at half, I'm guessing the last 24 points ASU scored in the second half were not against the first string.

Al Boarland

Quote from: CallMeHog on July 02, 2014, 09:39:07 pm
Gus did wind up beating the 33 point spread in that game but considering that Oregon was up 50-10 at half, I'm guessing the last 24 points ASU scored in the second half were not against the first string.

He might have a slightly better roster to work with in August against a team not as talented as that Oregon team.

Just a guess.

motownhog

Even if we win by one, the melt on the Plains will be so beautiful to watch.  :razorback:
I'm a grandson of the southland boys, an heir to the confederacy

JansterZ71

Quote from: motownhog on July 02, 2014, 10:00:43 pm
Even if we win by one, the melt on the Plains will be so beautiful to watch.  :razorback:

Not as good as the meltdown on hogville if Auburn wins.  It's going to be fun to watch this site win or lose
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

go hogues

Just not there yet, guys. I think we'll play well but they have vastly superior talent at pretty much every position.
You guys need to stop setting yourselves up for disappointments when we ALL know this is going to be another long season. Take the lumps now and begin to enjoy the product on the field again starting in 2015.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Augustus

Quote from: arkfan81 on July 02, 2014, 08:08:42 pm

I have always argued that Auburn only got to the SECCG, and hence the BCSCG, because of two lotto-win-odds type plays against Georgia and Alabama last year, I still think they're better matched against us.

I hope I'm wrong, but I won't hold my breath.

thesmalltownhog95

Do I hope we win? Yes
Do we win? I don't think so
Do we scare the shite outta Gus with a close game and set some good momentum for the year? This is what I think happens.

PygmalionEffect

July 03, 2014, 12:12:46 am #28 Last Edit: July 03, 2014, 12:43:43 am by PygmalionEffect
I think Aubarn probably played their worst game of the season on the road against us last year, but people bringing up the competitiveness of last year's game, in a year when our team was down, do have a legitimate point:

1st series - We cut through their defense like butter, get within range, BA throws as pretty a pass as you'll see to Herndon in the end zone and he allows the defender to strip it out enough to bobble.  We drive within the red zone then BA gets stepped on, Derby comes in, first pass is deflected and intercepted.

We stop them but they punt close to our goal line, next series after a couple first downs and a 17 yd run by Collins, Derby fumbles the snap giving them the ball on our 30.  They take it in in two plays by their draft pick as we seem to be stunned by Derby's inability to protect the ball.

BA back in, we proceed to move down the field again, long drive but settle for a FG.

CBB calls for an on-side kick since they won't be expecting it this early in the game, except that we line up in an on-side kick formation letting them know that we are going for an on-side kick, so obviously we don't get it.
THIS IS WHERE CBB HAS TO IMPROVE THIS YEAR.  Coaches contributed way too often with unnecessary, boneheaded, ill-conceived momentum destroying plays like that beauty.

From our 38 and with Ash setting us up in a soft pass formation with six n the box when they are only running, and C.Smith continually leaving his gap, their draft pick scores again.

We drive down the field again with relative ease, BA misses wide open Henry for what would have been a TD, get to the goal line anyway and can't make 2 yds in three plays, turning it over on downs,

1st Half ends, we have 199 yds to their 124 and have 3 pts to show for it losing 3-14.

2nd half, we get the ball, busting big runs again, BA misses a wide open Sprinkle for a sure TD.  Later a penalty kills the drive.

We're shutting down Auburn's run, they throw a prayer on 3rd and long which is answered when T mitchel misplays the ball, falls down and Auburn scores, maybe 80 pass? can't remember.

Big kickoff return by Marshall sets up TD catch by Hatcher.  Our first TD in 10 quarters.

We stuff them, get ball back, run and pass our way down the field for a score.  CBB redeems himself with the swinging gate fake on 4th down to sustain the drive.

Auburn goes on a drive with QB running some, he fumbles but of course we don't recover it.  They eventually score to put game out of reach 35-17.

We had moved ball again but a phantom call on HH for screening kills the drive and that's the way it ended.

As snake bit a game as any of them from last year. #karma

Pygmalion Effect - The phenomenon in which the greater the expectation placed upon people, the better they perform.

OS2 (SW) Razor Back

The Giants win the penent!!!!!The Giants win the penent!!!
Today, I consider myself the luckiest man on the face of the Earth.
I can't believe what I just saw!!!!
Down goes Frazier!!!! Down goes Frazier!!!
Do you believe in miricles?!?!?!

Mike_e

If they can't convince their defensive players to stay out of trouble they may not have a defense their first game.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11147844/jonathon-mincy-auburn-arrested-charged-marijuana-possession

"Auburn cornerback Jonathon Mincy was arrested and charged with second-degree marijuana possession on Friday.

Mincy was a passenger in a vehicle that was pulled over in Abbeville, Alabama, for allegedly speeding prior to the arrest, according to a member of the Henry County Sheriff's Office, who was not authorized to provide any further details.

"It was a routine stop on 431 near Great Southern Wood in Abbeville of a car doing 92 in a 65," Henry County Sheriff William Maddox told The Dothan Eagle. "The officer went to the car and smelled marijuana. There were two males and two females in the car and one of the males had shake all over his shirt sitting in the car in the back and there was a bag of marijuana near him. That person happened to be Jonathon Mincy of the Auburn football team.""
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

lahawg1

Quote from: Mike_e on July 03, 2014, 07:10:57 am
If they can't convince their defensive players to stay out of trouble they may not have a defense their first game.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/11147844/jonathon-mincy-auburn-arrested-charged-marijuana-possession

"Auburn cornerback Jonathon Mincy was arrested and charged with second-degree marijuana possession on Friday.

Mincy was a passenger in a vehicle that was pulled over in Abbeville, Alabama, for allegedly speeding prior to the arrest, according to a member of the Henry County Sheriff's Office, who was not authorized to provide any further details.

"It was a routine stop on 431 near Great Southern Wood in Abbeville of a car doing 92 in a 65," Henry County Sheriff William Maddox told The Dothan Eagle. "The officer went to the car and smelled marijuana. There were two males and two females in the car and one of the males had shake all over his shirt sitting in the car in the back and there was a bag of marijuana near him. That person happened to be Jonathon Mincy of the Auburn football team.""

Team vote, reinstated before first game, blah, blah, blah, blah....wait wrong tigers...

MultipleScoreGasms

Rule #1 -- If you're gonna do weed, don't speed.  Can't believe some of these guys are in college.

Al Boarland

Definitely.  Allen should be able to pick them apart.

SamBuckhart

Quote from: motownhog on July 02, 2014, 10:00:43 pm
Haha. So true.
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

urkillnmesmalls

Our kids played their hearts out in that game last season.  The 3rd to 4th quarter break had some excitement, and minus a few badly missed assignments that bailed Auburn out, it was looking like we might turn a corner.  In essence, we did, because we looked like a different team the rest of the season and played very competitively. 

But...I'm also not blind to see that Auburn was playing a very basic offensive scheme.  It's all they had to play.  Mason up the middle...until that didn't work, and then mix it up slightly. 

In effect, Auburn was running a Ned and the First Reader game plan, and while we were doing fairly well at defending it, I have major concerns about us defending their offense when Malzahn turns past the first page. 

I'd love to be wrong, but I think Auburn will win by about 17 pts or so, because their team consists of top 10 recruiting classes and they have more talent at this point.  It just seems like too big of a gap to overcome right now.  Maybe we get lucky...but I'm not going to expect anything, and I hope most Hog fans understand the reality of the situation. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

dishhog40

I have a gut feeling Arkansas wins this game.   The world gets to see Jwill, Collins, and Korliss ran through Auburn and Brandon Allen play his best game as a hog.  Arkansas shocks the world and wins.  Its going to happen.

RyeHogFan

I really believe that this is gonna come down to turnovers. As stated before, those two early turnovers by Derby last year absolutely killed our chances of an upset. In watching our wins against Auburn over the last 6 years or so, it's always been about turnovers.

2008-3 turnovers each, but Michael Smith went off on em. W, 25-22
2009-Auburn fumbles 3 times to our 1 interception. One of Auburn's fumbles was in the red zone and their other two set up easy scores for Mallett & Co. W, 44-23
2010-3 turnovers to their 0. Remember that we were actually up 43-37 early in the fourth quarter. Auburn then scored to retake the lead. Next drive, we fumble, they score. Next drive, we throw an int, they score. Next drive, we throw another int, and they score yet again. Turnovers killed us. L, 65-43
2011-Auburn had three turnovers to our one. Any chance of a comeback was dashed by three INTs in the second half. W, 38-14
2012-Auburn had FIVE turnovers to our two. Two of those turnovers were INTs thrown in the end zone. W, 24-7.
2013-Auburn had 0 turnovers to our three. L, 35-17.

It always seems that turnovers have a major correlation here, regardless of any talent gap. If we can be +2 or more on the turnovers, we have a chance.

Jamie Jones

We will win by more than one score. Maybe 9 points. The meltdown on here after that game will be from the posers who actually support Gus. The Hogville meltdown comes when we lose in LR to a Georgia team that we should beat. We finish 4-4 in the SEC, tied with LSU, but  beat them head to head.
I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

Al Boarland

Quote from: Jamie Jones on July 03, 2014, 11:03:04 am
We will win by more than one score. Maybe 9 points. The meltdown on here after that game will be from the posers who actually support Gus. The Hogville meltdown comes when we lose in LR to a Georgia team that we should beat. We finish 4-4 in the SEC, tied with LSU, but  beat them head to head.

RT1941

Gus had a verrry vanilla offensive gameplan against UA last year - that's all he needed to get the W.  This year, he will open things up because he will have a seasoned Oline/QB/WR corps and he will be testing his new RB unit.  They will have huge ?'s with their special teams - a new kicker and that great punter (Clarke?) is gone.  Soooo, "if" our defense can stand up and hold 'em to FGs and poor field position, then I think 2B's offense will challenge them. 
RazorTusk!!!!

Mike_e

Quote from: RT1941 on July 03, 2014, 11:09:06 am
Gus had a verrry vanilla offensive gameplan against UA last year - that's all he needed to get the W.  This year, he will open things up because he will have a seasoned Oline/QB/WR corps and he will be testing his new RB unit.  They will have huge ?'s with their special teams - a new kicker and that great punter (Clarke?) is gone.  Soooo, "if" our defense can stand up and hold 'em to FGs and poor field position, then I think 2B's offense will challenge them.

Don't forget that their QB is as iffy as our is passing the ball.  _Yes, I know BA played hurt a lot last year and the receiving was atrocious, something that I hope he can overcome this year, but their QB has yet to be really tested as a passer.  He made a living off of everyone cheating up to the line and leaving their receivers mostly unguarded -except us and we were so far back it was effectively the same.

If we can keep discipline on the edges and funnel their ground game inside (and tackle) then he's going to have to actually pass the ball.  The more chances he has to fail the more chances he will and stop drives because of it.

Turnovers or stops, they each kill the drive, it's up to us to make sure that we are more efficient in scoring drives.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

Jamie Jones

I'm a Hog fan. I never chant S-E-C! I hate all the other members.

OTTER

Quote from: CallMeHog on July 02, 2014, 07:21:02 pm
Since we are playing at Auburn I'm guessing Gus will keep it within 50 or so.
That's ok, I wouldn't want to beat them worse than 50.  Don't wanna shame Gus, just beat him.
BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

OTTER

BE AFRAID!!  Be very, very afraid!  The Hogs are hungry and you look a lot like lunch!

Hoggish1

Killean

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: Hoggish1 on July 03, 2014, 12:15:06 pm
How do we have 13 Auburn fans on here?

Because the option for losing wasn't available.

muddhogger

I like what ryehogfan had to say...makes a lot of sense!

Al Boarland

Quote from: Jamie Jones on July 03, 2014, 12:00:06 pm
So you think we beat Georgia??

We have a better chance against UGA than we do Auburn.