Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Stop blaming the refs.

Started by RazorMack, January 02, 2018, 10:45:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

UNCLE BACK

Does anyone know if a stat is kept to who fouls the most in College Basketball? I bet we are near the top. C. J Jones doing his impression of H.G Wells's  The Invisible Man is also not helping! 

GuvHog

January 03, 2018, 03:07:32 pm #51 Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 03:30:05 pm by GuvHog
Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2018, 08:27:33 am
Except that is what most here do after EVERY loss. Hogs got blown out by 30+ at OSU last year and the same posters were here blaming that on the refs.

To some of these people the Hogs have not actually lost a basketball game the last 6 1/2 seasons that it was not the refs fault. It is either " the refs won't let us play our game " or " they let ( insert team here ) play physical inside " or " they call ticky tacky stuff on the hogs 40 ft from the basket ".

I only got to see the last 5 minutes of the game because I was out calling games last night, but what I saw was 4 key offensive rebounds by MSU, and 15+ ft jump shots by the Hogs. 

For the record, I'm not one to go calling the officials out after every game. Rarely do I do that. There have been a lot of games in the past that the Hogs have lost simply because they played poorly or were beaten by a better team and I said so at the time. Last night, neither was the case. It's extremely hard for the Hogs to win when they are getting physically hammered on one end of the court with no call being made, and getting called for uniform brushing fouls on the other end. that is what happened last night. Heck, the Hogs played zone most of the second half and still got called for way more fouls than Miss. State, who was playing an aggressive man on man.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

BallHog1

Quote from: RazorMack on January 02, 2018, 10:45:45 pm
There were a lot of reasons for the loss tonight. But, this isn't on the officials.Poor effort on the boards and defense all game, and bad closing time offense is what cost us this game.  There were multiple occasions where we gave up offensive rebounds off free throws giving State another possession. That's unacceptable. The final few possessions were terrible on the offensive side too. We have a hot shooting Macon and he doesn't touch the ball once. Not calling a timeout on the last shot after the missed free throws was just dumb on Anderson. Just a lot of bad, but fixable mistakes that ended up being too much to overcome.

Don't jump off the ledge on this team yet. We're still a good ball club and were going to win a lot of games. We had a golden opportunity to win this game despite playing poorly all night. Refocus and come out ready to ball Saturday.

Beat Auburn. WPS
Nope, I'm not quitting

sickboy

It's OK to blame the refs and take ownership for our own shortcomings. Just because we didn't execute, doesn't mean the refs should get this white glove treatment that so many people give them. They sucked. We should have won and that's our fault. But the refs sucked too and they shoulder some of the blame for sucking at what they are there to do.

HognitiveDissonance

The free throw discrepancy is glaring and can't be argued.
There are two ways to react, though. One is to get angry at how the refs treat home teams and question why it can't be more evenly called.
The second approach is to recognize the refs are human and are immune to pressure from the home crowd, that it's always been this way, and not to fight it.

Me, I just accept it. You start every game down 0 to 10. That's life on the road. It's ALWAYS been this way. Why would somebody think it's going to change now.

The other part of that, and part of why I don't fight it, is that Arkansas benefits from this 'home-cooking' as much as anybody. Ark gets away with more reach-ins and slapping at home. Sometimes it's glaring. I remember one game years ago when Rod Barnes was coaching Ole Miss when we shot 48 FTs to 14 for Ole Miss. Now Ole Miss played a very physical style of defense under Barnes so they could get called for a lot of fouls if the refs wanted, but that's still a huge discrepancy, and I remember Barnes complaining vigorously about the officiating after that game.

LA Football fan

I agree it works both ways.  NO TEAM should shoot close to 30 more free throws in ANY LEAGUE game than their opponent.  Teams in this league have athletes that are basically very equal in athletic talent, Kentucky being the outlier, but still even they are not so much more talented that they should be shooting 30 more free throws in a league game. 

SEC crews that call a game so unevenly should be called in and made to explain why such a discrepancy and BACK it up with game tape to either validate the unevenness or point out where they were calling heavily in favor of one team over the other.  If the same crew is caught doing it again, then discipline them by assigning them less games, breaking up that crew and put another veteran crew member on there to help balance out how the crew calls games,  or demoting them to calling lower level college games. 

I don't know how the SEC office reviews their basketball officials but games that are so out of balance foul wise and free throw wise should  demand an immediate review of the officials performance and that those officials should be required to meet with the supervisor of officials to discuss their performance.  If game tape backs up how they called the game then the SEC office can let the crew know and move on.  If game tape doesn't back it up then that crew should be on probation for a set amount  of games and their performance reviewed weekly to see if they are improving or should be replaced by another crew.   Games like this that are so out of balance should be rare but it seems the SEC has more than its share every year. 

PonderinHog

Are there SEC refs anymore or do the work regions?

urkillnmesmalls

When this comes up, I'm NEVER surprised.  When has it EVER not been this way in the SEC?  The road team almost ALWAYS gets the calls.  It's like the old days in boxing when you pretty much had to win every round handily, or knock the champ out...to get the belt. 

Was it blatantly inconsistent.  Absolutely.  Was that anything new?  No.  Should we expect that?  Yes. 

Will we still complain when it happens...yes.  Will it change?  No. 

So...better saddle up and find ways to overcome it, or it will play out just like the SEC officials appear to want it to play out...win ALL of your games at home, and beat the SNOT out of a few on the road to overcome the bias. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hogfanny

Quote from: Hog Pharm on January 02, 2018, 11:00:16 pm
If we fired all the refs who you say screwed us there wouldn't be any left....
Well then maybe we could get some officials who would screw up and give us a fair chance!!!!

razorpimp

Quote from: forrest city joe on January 02, 2018, 11:01:01 pm
you Anderson haters may as well give it up. haters lost this battle last year.Mike Anderson is going to be coach here a long time.so keep hoping the refs give you what they gave you tonight hater.

Unfortunately I believe you are correct....we will never be great but just good enough for mediocre Mike to keep his job...

Woo pig whatever

hogsanity

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 03, 2018, 05:32:14 pm
Are there SEC refs anymore or do the work regions?

There are no SEC refs. The crew that worked the game last night probably work in 2 or 3 other league too. I know a guy who last year worked SEC, Big12, Southland, Sunbelt, and big10.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

mykidsdad

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2018, 09:57:52 pm
There are no SEC refs. The crew that worked the game last night probably work in 2 or 3 other league too. I know a guy who last year worked SEC, Big12, Southland, Sunbelt, and big10.

Oh of all things hogsanity protecting the refs. I bet you take your biases into every game. that is why you most likely suck as a ref. you are making predeterminations on everything. bias at its best. you don't know darn.

hogsanity

Quote from: mykidsdad on January 03, 2018, 10:10:01 pm
Oh of all things hogsanity protecting the refs. I bet you take your biases into every game. that is why you most likely suck as a ref. you are making predeterminations on everything. bias at its best. you don't know darn.

Lets see, a guy asked if there were sec refs, and I answered him. How is that protecting the refs?

I know you, you're the guy at the game that constantly yells for over the back, even though there is no such thing, or 3 seconds when it's different players moving in and out of the lane. But above all you're the guy that would need new pants if you got handed a whistle and had to call a game.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Dominicanhog

Quote from: razorpimp on January 03, 2018, 08:34:30 pm
Unfortunately I believe you are correct....we will never be great but just good enough for mediocre Mike to keep his job...

Woo pig whatever

( Picture of baby crying)

Paul

January 04, 2018, 09:02:48 pm #64 Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 10:00:48 pm by Paul
Quote from: Paul on January 02, 2018, 11:32:42 pm
Those State offensive rebounds are due to our poor fundamentals. Been that way for a while
Howland told his players before the game that we don't block out.  Quindarry Weatherspoon said that after the game.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Paul on January 04, 2018, 09:02:48 pm
Howland told his players before the game that we don't block out well.  Quindarious Weatherspoon said that after the game.

Wow, what great coaching.  We don't block out well because we're trying to run.  That's not a secret. 

Paul

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 04, 2018, 10:00:26 pm
Wow, what great coaching.  We don't block out well because we're trying to run.  That's not a secret.
Um those two concepts aren't mutually exclusive.  Have your 4 & 5 block out while the other 3 run out.  Wes Unseld was a great rebounder with a deadly outlet pass.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Paul on January 04, 2018, 10:03:49 pm
Um those two concepts aren't mutually exclusive.  Have your 4 & 5 block out while the other 3 run out.  Wes Unseld was a great rebounder with a deadly outlet pass.

Compared to Howland's ilk, we don't block out at all.  Different styles.  Wouldn't surprise me if Adidas and/or MSU paid the refs.  They are huge cheaters (see Reggie Perry).

Mike Irwin

I was at the game. Arkansas players deserved most of the 26 fouls called on them. The problem was on the other end. It was ridiculous the way those three men swallowed their whistles when Arkansas had the ball. Specifically Barford and Gafford were fouled several times with no call. It was obvious.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: Mike Irwin on January 04, 2018, 10:31:32 pm
I was at the game. Arkansas players deserved most of the 26 fouls called on them. The problem was on the other end. It was ridiculous the way those three men swallowed their whistles when Arkansas had the ball. Specifically Barford and Gafford were fouled several times with no call. It was obvious.

That's typical of the SEC road games though isn't it Mike?  Admittedly, I've only traveled a handful of times, but when I watch them on TV...the road team always seems to get screwed every chance the refs can do it.  It stings more when it's a really close game like that, when it's already hard enough to win on the road. 

I just wonder why Mike doesn't go ballistic more often than he does.  I know some suggest that it does nothing but irk the officials more, so they call it one sided even more for the opposition, but when it gets that bad...it seems like you have to try something! 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

hogsanity

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 04, 2018, 10:43:24 pm
That's typical of the SEC road games though isn't it Mike?  Admittedly, I've only traveled a handful of times, but when I watch them on TV...the road team always seems to get screwed every chance the refs can do it.  It stings more when it's a really close game like that, when it's already hard enough to win on the road. 

I just wonder why Mike doesn't go ballistic more often than he does.  I know some suggest that it does nothing but irk the officials more, so they call it one sided even more for the opposition, but when it gets that bad...it seems like you have to try something! 

2 separate keys to what Irwin said, and of course the blame the refs crowd is silent on this, is that he thought most of the fouls called on the Hogs were fouls. So the Hogs were fouling alot, which they always do.

As for the refs not calling fouls on the other end, that is something road teams just about everywhere always complain about when they are getting called for a bunch of fouls. From the part of the game I saw and the hilites I could find, so many of the Hog's fouls were either reaching when beat off the dribble or reaching in when a player would start up for a shot. Most of what I saw on the MSu defensive end that people seem so upset about was body contact on blocks, which if Gafford got called for Hog fans would say " You gotta let them play " or fans wanting over the back, which there is no such violation to start with.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: The Hogfather on January 03, 2018, 06:20:32 am
Wrong.  We shot 51.6% overall and 40% from 3.  We hit 7 more shots than them overall and 2 more 3s than them.  They shot 42.4% overall and only 19% from 3.  They shot 21 3s to our 15.  Rebounding was even.  The lone major disparity in their favor was foul shots.  Despite only making 60% of their attempts, they still hit 19 more than we did and hit 12 more FTs than we even attempted.  We played a bunch of zone and they jacked 21 3s, yet they shoot 28 more FTs than us.  You can try to explain this away as a lack of effort, road woes, poor fundamentals, etc., but those are simply not the reasons for the loss.

We got shafted by the Zebra crew.;
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 05, 2018, 01:40:10 pm

Did TN get shafted when they had 4 starters foul out, were called for 7 more fouls, and shot fewer ft's on the road last Sat?

Dominicanhog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 05, 2018, 01:40:10 pm

Which observer do you think is more accurate, someone at the game, Irwin, who obviously has bias ...or Hogsanity, who also has bias?

They saw it differently, who's more accurate, or maybe using a better word, more honest in their assessment?..

Jborohog09

Quote from: hogsanity on January 05, 2018, 01:47:12 pm
Did TN get shafted when they had 4 starters foul out, were called for 7 more fouls, and shot fewer ft's on the road last Sat?

How many fouls did Tennessee commit on purpose in the last 40 seconds of overtime? 

hogfan10

Quote from: hogsanity on January 03, 2018, 09:57:52 pm

Doesn't matter if they are SEC refs only, or if they call games in multiple leagues. The question is do they take direction from the SEC office in how to officiate the games that they call in the SEC. Or, is it understood by them that the SEC office wants games called a certain way. If either of those scenarios are true, then they will oblige in order to continue calling games in the SEC.

hogfan10

Quote from: hogsanity on January 05, 2018, 08:42:41 am
2 separate keys to what Irwin said, and of course the blame the refs crowd is silent on this, is that he thought most of the fouls called on the Hogs were fouls. So the Hogs were fouling alot, which they always do.

As for the refs not calling fouls on the other end, that is something road teams just about everywhere always complain about when they are getting called for a bunch of fouls. From the part of the game I saw and the hilites I could find, so many of the Hog's fouls were either reaching when beat off the dribble or reaching in when a player would start up for a shot. Most of what I saw on the MSu defensive end that people seem so upset about was body contact on blocks, which if Gafford got called for Hog fans would say " You gotta let them play " or fans wanting over the back, which there is no such violation to start with.

In other words; Irwin has a good eye in noticing the warranted fouls called on the Hogs, but is just a homer when he (and many others) notes that the refs swallowed their whistles on what he thought also warranted a foul call on MSU. 

Dominicanhog

Quote from: hogfan10 on January 06, 2018, 10:54:18 am
In other words; Irwin has a good eye in noticing the warranted fouls called on the Hogs, but is just a homer when he (and many others) notes that the refs swallowed their whistles on what he thought also warranted a foul call on MSU.

that's logical, right?

mykidsdad

Quote from: Dominicanhog on January 06, 2018, 08:58:53 am
Which observer do you think is more accurate, someone at the game, Irwin, who obviously has bias ...or Hogsanity, who also has bias?

They saw it differently, who's more accurate, or maybe using a better word, more honest in their assessment?..
except hogsanity didn't even watch the game. he just comes on and spouts his opinion without any knowledge whatsoever. total idiot. I will take anyone's opinion over that buffoon.

HogBreath

Quote from: Paul on January 04, 2018, 09:02:48 pm
Howland told his players before the game that we don't block out.  Quindarry Weatherspoon said that after the game.
It seems like Howland does pretty much own CMA and our much beloved fast forty.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

HogHomer

Quote from: HogBreath on January 06, 2018, 12:48:51 pm
It seems like Howland does pretty much own CMA and our much beloved fast forty.
And MA owns Tennessee it seems.

rljjr

Quote from: hogsanity on January 05, 2018, 08:42:41 am
or fans wanting over the back, which there is no such violation to start with.

Yes, but you know darned well that people are talking about contact that forces the player in front -- who has established position -- to move. It's the contact that is the violation, regardless of what the casual fan calls it.

hogsanity

Quote from: rljjr on January 06, 2018, 02:19:58 pm
Yes, but you know darned well that people are talking about contact that forces the player in front -- who has established position -- to move. It's the contact that is the violation, regardless of what the casual fan calls it.

Except they often yell for it just because a player reaches over and gets the board without displacement contact.

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: urkillnmesmalls on January 04, 2018, 10:43:24 pm

not for UK or UF
The long Grey line will never fail our country.