Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Correction on Heath decision on players/staff

Started by Andrew Jensen, March 15, 2005, 12:20:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Andrew Jensen

I just posted corrections on HI and Woopig.

here is my original sentence as I submitted the story.

"Heath's promised  "top to bottom" evaluation of his program began Monday with individual meetings with the players and on Friday he neither ruled out player or staff changes."

For some reason, the editor of my story (who works once a week on Mondays), cut "neither" from my story. I don't know why, maybe the structure was a little off, but it certainly changes the meaning of the sentence.

Anyway, Heath has NOT ruled out player or staff changes. I'm very sorry about the confusion. I promise a "top to bottom" review of our editing procedures to get our ship right over at the Morning News. Please spread the word for anyone who is still confused. Again, I apologize to Razorback fans, the state of Arkansas and everyone who has ever sat at a keyboard and wrote about the Razorbacks.

junkyardhog

Thanks Andrew!  As fast as news/blogging/message board info spreads now. A one word typo could feasibly have a huge impact on somone's life these days.

And we all know that once something is said, it is VERY hard to take it back!

Whataboar™

Quote from: Andrew Jensen on March 15, 2005, 12:20:16 pm
I just posted corrections on HI and Woopig.

here is my original sentence as I submitted the story.

"Heath's promised "top to bottom" evaluation of his program began Monday with individual meetings with the players and on Friday he neither ruled out player or staff changes."

For some reason, the editor of my story (who works once a week on Mondays), cut "neither" from my story. I don't know why, maybe the structure was a little off, but it certainly changes the meaning of the sentence.

Anyway, Heath has NOT ruled out player or staff changes. I'm very sorry about the confusion. I promise a "top to bottom" review of our editing procedures to get our ship right over at the Morning News. Please spread the word for anyone who is still confused. Again, I apologize to Razorback fans, the state of Arkansas and everyone who has ever sat at a keyboard and wrote about the Razorbacks.
That editor owes you a king-sized apology, pal.
Taking out a word like that, which totally changes the meaning of your sentence, is inexcusable.
I can see why he only works one day per week.
And the fact that it concerns such a hot-button issue right now, just makes it even more of a mega-blunder.
I feel for you.
"Daddy. When you and mommy first met, did you love yourself first or did mommy love you first?'' _ our then 7-year-old daughter.

Andrew Jensen

It's amazing. We're running a correction in the paper tomorrow. I couldn't believe it when it was brought to my attention.

I could understand changing "neither", but it has to be replaced with another negative word ie. "didn't" or "hasn't".

As mistakes go, it was pretty huge judging by the reaction. Easily the biggest in any story I've ever bylined.

I could have certainly written the sentence better and it could have been edited better. Plenty of blame to go around.

Fletch

Thank you for the apology Andrew. Now it's only appropriate for some of you to apologize to coach Heath and take back what you said about him after reading that article.
I feel like $100

junkyardhog

Heath is an idiot! No apologies here. We all know IF he does make changes, he is making them because Daddy Broyles TOLD him to, not because he wanted to. So go back to whining about how good a coach Heath is!!!

And when you comment on an article that has been represented as the truth the onus of responsiblity falls on the author, not the one giving feedback.

junkyardhog

And another thing, when you smite someone on here, how come you don't know WHO did it. Sounds kind of like a pussi thing to me. Kind of like slapping someone in the back of the head. There should at least be someway to KNOW who agrees with you and who doesn't.  Otherwise Smites are nothing more than a little punk way to get someone. You know, the guy in the bar who hits you in the back of the head and then runs like hell.

Be a man, own up!!!

So, smite away beeaches!!

Fletch

It doesn't look like the people that support coach Heath are doing the whining.
I feel like $100

pioneerhog

Quote from: junkyardhog on March 15, 2005, 08:39:05 pm
And another thing, when you smite someone on here, how come you don't know WHO did it. Sounds kind of like a pussi thing to me. Kind of like slapping someone in the back of the head. There should at least be someway to KNOW who agrees with you and who doesn't.  Otherwise Smites are nothing more than a little punk way to get someone. You know, the guy in the bar who hits you in the back of the head and then runs like hell.

Be a man, own up!!!

I just smited you, I have never really disagreed with you, BUT you was whinning IMO and I don't like whinners and when you said smite away i couldn't resest, And I am owning up to it.

Fletch

Dog, calm down, take a deep breath and say "Serenity Now."
I feel like $100

junkyardhog

Quote from: pioneerhog on March 15, 2005, 08:44:23 pm
And another thing, when you smite someone on here, how come you don't know WHO did it. Sounds kind of like a pussi thing to me. Kind of like slapping someone in the back of the head. There should at least be someway to KNOW who agrees with you and who doesn't. Otherwise Smites are nothing more than a little punk way to get someone. You know, the guy in the bar who hits you in the back of the head and then runs like hell.

Be a man, own up!!!

I just smited you, I have never really disagreed with you, BUT you was whinning IMO and I don't like whinners and when you said smite away i couldn't resest, And I am owning up to it.

I knew that was coming pioneer :)  .    Guys, i have a really sick sense of humor. I RARELY ever get REALLY pissed off, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. I also have this underlying compulsion to get a reaction out of someone even if I totally AGREE with you!  I can't help it, AND MY WIFE HATES IT!!!!

pioneerhog

Quote from: junkyardhog on March 15, 2005, 10:49:34 pm
Quote from: pioneerhog on March 15, 2005, 08:44:23 pm
And another thing, when you smite someone on here, how come you don't know WHO did it. Sounds kind of like a pussi thing to me. Kind of like slapping someone in the back of the head. There should at least be someway to KNOW who agrees with you and who doesn't. Otherwise Smites are nothing more than a little punk way to get someone. You know, the guy in the bar who hits you in the back of the head and then runs like hell.

Be a man, own up!!!

I knew that was coming pioneer :)  .    Guys, i have a really sick sense of humor. I RARELY ever get REALLY pissed off, so take everything I say with a grain of salt. I also have this underlying compulsion to get a reaction out of someone even if I totally AGREE with you!  I can't help it, AND MY WIFE HATES IT!!!!
Oh don't worry I wasn't really takeing you serious, but i couldn't pass it up. i also applaud you cause i have wondered the same thing but never thought about asking about it.

junkyardhog

And I applaud you for owning up to smiting me :) :) :)

It's time to go to sleep!