Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Point Guard signee McCurdy

Started by Ironhawg, March 15, 2005, 07:18:28 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironhawg

Dudley Dawson's article in the NWA Morning News this morning mentions a book about Bob Hurley and his high school team from last year that went 30-0.  According to the article the book gave a less-than-flattering view of next year Hog point guard McCurdy and his mother.  Has anyone on the board read this book and know what he is talking about?

SonOfMud

This is a post from checkrazor on another board.  From his take on the book, McCurdy doesn't look like he will cure this teams problems.  More like sit on the bench with D. Jefferson.

Quote from: checkrazor on February 27, 2005, 02:28:55 am
I skipped to the last 100 or so pages where the focus is on their undefeated 2003-2004 team with Sean McCurdy and some of his recruiting.  McCurdy is the focal point in that section of the book, at least as far as the players go.  It clearly does not paint a favorable picture of Sean or his mother.  In fact, it quotes an anonymous DI coach as saying McCurdy will definitely transfer at some point during his college career.

He struggled most of the season, was easily the least popular player on the team, and saw his recruiting stock go way down during AAU summer ball.  Maryland and Indiana both stopped recruiting him with Maryland rescinding an offer that came directly from the head coach.

His mother openly criticized Coach Hurley for playing him at shooting guard rather than point guard but an assistant said there was no way he was quick enough, handled the ball well enough, or played good enough defense to play point for St. Anthony's.

Certainly, the writer is looking at McCurdy from a very similar perspective as Coach Hurley and his evaluations of Sean and the team as a whole are more based on perceived potential was rather than how they competed against their opponents.  There is some sympathy for Sean based on his youth and him being manipulated in one way by his mother and in another by his father, who was evidently a college player himself back in the seventies.  Sean's parents are divorced and it would probably be more accurate to say his mother lived with him than he lived with his mother.

Still, Sean is said to have advised his teammates to sign with the most prestigious school that offered them rather than be loyal to the coaches that have recruited them the longest.  This may well be good advice in terms of having an NBA career but it is presented in such a way that it really makes Sean look bad.

I truly hope Sean has a successful experience as a basketball player for the University of Arkansas.  However, he will arrive as the most publicly criticized recruit in the program's history.  Dudley has said that this was the guy the Razorback players and Heath really wanted out of the group of three or so point guards they ended up considering.  It will be very interesting to see how well he does as a Razorback. 

If anyone else has read the book, I would be interested to know their opinions of how McCurdy is portrayed.

I should add that McCurdy was a newcomer to the team and was adjusting to the new system, new teammates, and a very demanding coach.  These things were put forth as factors in his poor play, which they had to have been. 
"They were like brothers to me, and when I say 'brother', I don't mean like a literal brother.  I mean it the way black people use it, which is more meaningful, I think."

3kgthog

I second that writer's summary.  The portrayal of Sean's mother gave me the same impression I got from the father of Gary Brashears.  She is controlling and apparently had too lofty an opinion on her son's abilities. 

The one positive I could find about him was that the book was written during his junior year.  Maybe he matured a little the next season and is a different player now.  He can shoot though and he should help despite the fact that he won't be the true PG answer we are desperately searching for.

Jim Harris

Quote from: 3kgthog on March 15, 2005, 09:19:35 am
I second that writer's summary. The portrayal of Sean's mother gave me the same impression I got from the father of Gary Brashears. She is controlling and apparently had too lofty an opinion on her son's abilities.

The one positive I could find about him was that the book was written during his junior year. Maybe he matured a little the next season and is a different player now. He can shoot though and he should help despite the fact that he won't be the true PG answer we are desperately searching for.

I wonder if she's moving down to Fayetteville with the kid this summer? Maybe she can hang out with Mrs. Heath. That would be some pair.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

sooie dog

Maybe his mom could coach the team.  I say give here a chance.  She can't hurt anything that's for sure.

Ironhawg

If there is any truth to all this about McCurdy and his family situation, he sounds like the last thing this team needs.  There appears to be enough internal conflict without introducing a new source.

Cajun Hog

Quote from: drakehog on March 15, 2005, 09:20:27 am
Quote from: 3kgthog on March 15, 2005, 09:19:35 am
I second that writer's summary. The portrayal of Sean's mother gave me the same impression I got from the father of Gary Brashears. She is controlling and apparently had too lofty an opinion on her son's abilities.

The one positive I could find about him was that the book was written during his junior year. Maybe he matured a little the next season and is a different player now. He can shoot though and he should help despite the fact that he won't be the true PG answer we are desperately searching for.

I wonder if she's moving down to Fayetteville with the kid this summer? Maybe she can hang out with Mrs. Heath. That would be some pair.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!!!!

V B Porkers

I will be stunned if this guy can play a lick.

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: V B Porkers on March 15, 2005, 06:40:06 pm

i think to be fair, fans ought to give the kid a shot to prove he cannot play before he is considered a bust

pioneerhog

Quote from: Pragmatic PiG on March 15, 2005, 07:27:42 pm

i think to be fair, fans ought to give the kid a shot to prove he cannot play before he is considered a bust

You're 100% right on this one.

Fatty McGee

You don't understand - we don't need to actually see him play to know how good he is.  Much like many knew this time last year that Dontell Jefferson was the true answer at point guard and that Ferguson would transfer, we are also quite sure that McCurdy will suck.

Such crazy and overrated things as "facts" are not necessary in forming our opinions.  Geez, how crazy are you?
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 15, 2005, 07:42:53 pm

You don't understand - we don't need to actually see him play to know how good he is.  Much like many knew this time last year that Dontell Jefferson was the true answer at point guard and that Ferguson would transfer, we are also quite sure that McCurdy will suck.

Such crazy and overrated things as "facts" are not necessary in forming our opinions.  Geez, how crazy are you?

crazy enough to be a hog fan..... ;D

Boarcephus

I'm willing to welcome McCurdy with open arms and give him the benefit of the doubt.   I haven't seen him play a lick and I doubt anyone here has either but Stan better hope he can. 

As of now, we don't have a whole lot of options.  Jefferson ain't it, neither is Ferguson so if we are to have a good PG, going to have to bring him in.  Maybe he's the answer or maybe he's not but either way, I  got a feeling it won't take long to find out.  Didn't take long to see DJ wasn't the answer.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

WilsonHog

Whatever.

Magic Johnson could come out of retirement to run the point for us next year and I couldn't find much reason to be excited about it. 

pioneerhog

I don't know anything about this guy, and the signs aren't looking good for him, but I think he should be given a chance. Unless of course we can sign a highly recruited PG to take his place.

V B Porkers

Since when are ambulance chasers interested in facts

pioneerhog

Quote from: V B Porkers on March 15, 2005, 08:16:35 pm
Who is the ambulance chaser here.

Pragmatic PiG

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 15, 2005, 08:03:59 pm
Whatever.

Magic Johnson could come out of retirement to run the point for us next year and I couldn't find much reason to be excited about it. 

i hear ya. You say that now, but if the hogs started winning for whatever reasons, ill bet ya come around

Fatty McGee

Quote from: pioneerhog on March 15, 2005, 08:46:05 pm
Quote from: V B Porkers on March 15, 2005, 08:16:35 pm
Who is the ambulance chaser here.

I'm who he's referring to.  What he doesn't know is that since I know the paramedics, I don't have to chase down the ambulance.  They stop at the office on the way to the hospital.  Then I shake down defenseless insurance companies to pay millions for claims that aren't legit. 

pioneerhog

I'm not a big fan of chasers, I once got in a wreck and nobody in my truck was injured and i bet i got 100 different advertiseing ads from lawyers. But I know you got to do what payes the bills, or in your case what makes the most money for you, so keep it up bud. And when you say you know the medics and they just tell you about the people hurt, do you give them a cut too.....just joking.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: pioneerhog on March 15, 2005, 09:05:54 pm
I'm not a big fan of chasers, I once got in a wreck and nobody in my truck was injured and i bet i got 100 different advertiseing ads from lawyers. But I know you got to do what payes the bills, or in your case what makes the most money for you, so keep it up bud. And when you say you know the medics and they just tell you about the people hurt, do you give them a cut too.....just joking.

I don't believe in direct solicitation, and find it pretty offensive.  We advertise, but most of it is Yellow Pages, and then sponsoring community stuff.  The vast majority of my PI work, which isn't the majority of my practice, comes from referrals. 

Honestly though, I usually don't see people until the other party's insurer makes a lowball offer.  I often think that if they would just make a fair offer from the start, they wouldn't have to litigate it.  Oh well, I guess they figure that there's a certain percentage of people who won't go to a lawyer, so they make more money in the end.

And I was definitely joking.  You can get disbarred for sharing fees with non-attorneys. 

pioneerhog

Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 15, 2005, 09:09:52 pm

I don't believe in direct solicitation, and find it pretty offensive. We advertise, but most of it is Yellow Pages, and then sponsoring community stuff. The vast majority of my PI work, which isn't the majority of my practice, comes from referrals.

Honestly though, I usually don't see people until the other party's insurer makes a lowball offer. I often think that if they would just make a fair offer from the start, they wouldn't have to litigate it. Oh well, I guess they figure that there's a certain percentage of people who won't go to a lawyer, so they make more money in the end.

And I was definitely joking. You can get disbarred for sharing fees with non-attorneys.
I knew you was joking. Yes there is a percentage that doesn't go to a lawyer i was rear-ended once and my GF hurt her back and she didn't get a lawyer and there fore didn't get much of a settlement. On average, if i may ask, how much more do you get then what the insurance offers?

pioneerhog

EX GF, EX GF I better say that or the wife might not like it.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Pragmatic PiG on March 15, 2005, 08:49:40 pm
Whatever.

i hear ya. You say that now, but if the hogs started winning for whatever reasons, ill bet ya come around

That goes without saying.  I wouldn't be ticked off now if we'd made the NCAA tourney.  In fact, I would probably have spent this evening filling out about eight different brackets. As it is, I don't even know who the four #1 seeds are, and I've spent most of the evening working on a Power Point for a presentation next week.

Kevin

once again, i will state a recruiting service writer, who said ryan appleby (formerly of florida) was not good enough for nthe sec has stated the samething about mccurdy.  he was on countdown to signing day and said glowing things about cyrus.  he was going to be a nice fit.  when the host said something about mccurdy, he just talked about the book.  he did not want to rip the kid on tv.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Fatty McGee

Quote from: pioneerhog on March 15, 2005, 09:14:23 pm
Quote from: Fatty McGee on March 15, 2005, 09:09:52 pm

I don't believe in direct solicitation, and find it pretty offensive. We advertise, but most of it is Yellow Pages, and then sponsoring community stuff. The vast majority of my PI work, which isn't the majority of my practice, comes from referrals.

Honestly though, I usually don't see people until the other party's insurer makes a lowball offer. I often think that if they would just make a fair offer from the start, they wouldn't have to litigate it. Oh well, I guess they figure that there's a certain percentage of people who won't go to a lawyer, so they make more money in the end.

And I was definitely joking. You can get disbarred for sharing fees with non-attorneys.
I knew you was joking. Yes there is a percentage that doesn't go to a lawyer i was rear-ended once and my GF hurt her back and she didn't get a lawyer and there fore didn't get much of a settlement. On average, if i may ask, how much more do you get then what the insurance offers?

They say the average is 3 times what people get w/o a lawyer, but really it depends on the injury and the circumstances, plus I don't know if that factors in my fee and costs.  I've gotten policy limits out of $0 offers, and then sometimes I've told people they should take what's being offered because I didn't think that after they've paid my fee they would come out ahead even if I could get them more.

Jim Harris

Quote from: WilsonHog on March 15, 2005, 09:23:19 pm
Quote from: Pragmatic PiG on March 15, 2005, 08:49:40 pm
Whatever.

That goes without saying.  I wouldn't be ticked off now if we'd made the NCAA tourney.  In fact, I would probably have spent this evening filling out about eight different brackets. As it is, I don't even know who the four #1 seeds are, and I've spent most of the evening working on a Power Point for a presentation next week.

now you know what life is like in South Dakota. ;D
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Amityvillehogger

Imagine what it's like for those teams that have made it for the first time this year. ;D
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

Call Mr. Sow

Whatever.

Well, to be fair, Magic has been out of basketball for some time now, and probably isn't in the best condition these days. 

tophawg19

saw film clips of sean he looked pretty good but then everyone does on their highlight clips .NOway S.H.could be wrong on a guard  this kid is good maybe even the next D . JEFFERSON .A STAR IN THE MAKING .Just kidding just give him a chance one way or the other . Better pull for him otherwise what have we got
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins