Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tre Norwood...

Started by The_Boot_stops_here, January 11, 2017, 07:55:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Oklahawg

A classic example of a kid blowing up late in the process?
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 15, 2017, 06:45:59 pm
A classic example of a kid blowing up late in the process?
Yes and it looks like we are going to get Curl who OU offered about a month ago.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

Nosboar Accubond

Quote from: OnTheHillHogFan on January 15, 2017, 07:03:09 pm
Yes and it looks like we are going to get Curl who OU offered about a month ago.
Kamren? So you take the OU offer to indicate they don't feel good about Curl?

factchecker

Quote from: Hoggy Bear on January 15, 2017, 06:35:14 pm
Norwood just posted 30 min ago on Twitter that OU has now offered him

Could this be good news in relation to Curl?
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: Nosboar Accubond on January 15, 2017, 07:11:54 pm
Kamren? So you take the OU offer to indicate they don't feel good about Curl?

I think Norwood is worthy of an offer regardless but maybe Oklahoma coming in late is a sign that they might not get Kam.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: factchecker on January 15, 2017, 07:17:19 pm
Could this be good news in relation to Curl?

He's not going to OU, he's coming to Arkansas.

factchecker

Quote from: ricepig on January 15, 2017, 07:28:29 pm
He's not going to OU, he's coming to Arkansas.

I'll believe it when it happens but....

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

ricepig

Quote from: factchecker on January 15, 2017, 07:41:49 pm
I'll believe it when it happens but....

Well, he canceled his OU visit to go to Baylor this past weekend, and is committing on the 19th, and visiting us the next day........

Letsroll1200

It's a shame what's happening in recruiting with the Razorbacks

Oklahawg

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 15, 2017, 08:13:19 pm

Yup, getting recruits that OU wants, and then OU has to offer a back-up plan to someone from Arkansas. OU can't get in on Calloway, either.

I like this class, and feel it will end favorably.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Letsroll1200

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 15, 2017, 08:17:47 pm
Yup, getting recruits that OU wants, and then OU has to offer a back-up plan to someone from Arkansas. OU can't get in on Calloway, either.

I like this class, and feel it will end favorably.

We shall see if Galloway commits or not.

PorkRinds

Quote from: presidenthog on January 15, 2017, 05:05:34 pm
Bell would fit as  OLB in a 3-4. I complained in here when the move was made. Got yelled at by everyone and thier rediculous trust the coaches bs. Sometimes you have better vision of something when you aren't right up against it. I knew bell had no chance at TE. Still doesn't. Word is though he doesn't like to hit.

Yeah. When you come on the internet and claim you had better insights than the coaches becuase you aren't "right up against it" you may need to gain a bit of perspective. Truth is you've got no damn clue, just like the rest of us. Vision. Lol.

Muskliketusk

OU can afford to go after Norwood and miss as they done already got two UA all Americans committed at corner. If he's just a returner there happy and if not they process him. We don't Stoops to that level.
Our father who art in Heaven, Razorbacks be thy name. For the games we've won and battles done, on the road as it is at home. Give us this day our weekly win and forgive us our turnovers as we defeat those that play against us. Lead us not into devastation, but deliver us a title. For thine is the program, the pride and the Hogs, Amen.

-prayer I say every gameday.

The_Boot_stops_here

Norwood adds Okie St offer. Its about time we offer this kid regardless of the Calloway and Curl outcomes. There is plenty of dead weight on the roster we could dump to make the numbers work

Oklahawg

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on January 15, 2017, 10:20:28 pm
Norwood adds Okie St offer. Its about time we offer this kid regardless of the Calloway and Curl outcomes. There is plenty of dead weight on the roster we could dump to make the numbers work

Of course you know that's not how it works.

You are maxed at 25 in this class. Staff could "add back" a slot, maybe two.

But you can only have 85 total at any one time. Seniors who finished their time on the field keep a scholarship (if in school) for the spring semester and then they are off the books. Can't bring in mid-year guys if there isn't a spot on the 85-man roster.

Graduate transfers don't count against the 25-count for annual signees but do count against the 85-count for overall roster.

I just don't see where all this room is. They may figure someone leaves...but they don't know that yet. (Caveat: might have a mid-year departure we don't know about yet, but you can't count on purging someone in May, can you?)

On a more serious note, I'll work on the 85-man roster for you.

ricepig

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on January 15, 2017, 10:20:28 pm

Which players are dead weight?

kaki

Only on Hogville!  115 posts on a kid who has not received an offer and apparently will not.  If the board can make it to 200 posts, we will qualify as being snowflake approved.

parallaxpig

Quote from: kaki on January 16, 2017, 08:54:16 am
Only on Hogville!  115 posts on a kid who has not received an offer and apparently will not.  If the board can make it to 200 posts, we will qualify as being snowflake approved.

I'll add to goal of 200 just so I can be educated to what that means!!!!!!!!!!!
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

kaki

Quote from: parallaxpig on January 16, 2017, 09:04:14 am
I'll add to goal of 200 just so I can be educated to what that means!!!!!!!!!!!
Feeble attempt at humor.  The snowflakes are the traumatized Hillary supporters who persist in not accepting the inevitable.

rljjr

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 15, 2017, 08:18:58 pm
We shall see if Galloway commits or not.

I'm not Jerry Gallow. I'm Jerry Callo. C-a-l-l-o.

parallaxpig

Quote from: kaki on January 16, 2017, 09:54:47 am
Feeble attempt at humor.  The snowflakes are the traumatized Hillary supporters who persist in not accepting the inevitable.

Agreed, feeble but effective........and if you continue to harass me I'm going to my safe zone.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

kaki

Quote from: rljjr on January 16, 2017, 10:00:14 am
I'm not Jerry Gallow. I'm Jerry Callo. C-a-l-l-o.
What would Jerry say about two utes?

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 15, 2017, 10:49:03 pm
Of course you know that's not how it works.

You are maxed at 25 in this class. Staff could "add back" a slot, maybe two.

But you can only have 85 total at any one time. Seniors who finished their time on the field keep a scholarship (if in school) for the spring semester and then they are off the books. Can't bring in mid-year guys if there isn't a spot on the 85-man roster.

Graduate transfers don't count against the 25-count for annual signees but do count against the 85-count for overall roster.

I just don't see where all this room is. They may figure someone leaves...but they don't know that yet. (Caveat: might have a mid-year departure we don't know about yet, but you can't count on purging someone in May, can you?)

On a more serious note, I'll work on the 85-man roster for you.
No expert, but I don't believe that to be accurate, I think at fall enrollment or beginning of fall practice is when you have to get to 85. It may be at the end of spring semester or some other time, but you can go above the number until some specified time. This is why you hear about the numbers working themselves out when teams sign a full recruiting class and go over the 85 limit.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on January 15, 2017, 08:13:19 pm

What, that short of throwing improper benefits at recruits or having a once-every-decade explosion of in-state talent the Razorbacks will finish in the 20s (according to paid recruiting services) on signing day? What a shame. Who could have seen that coming? Let's blame Coach ______ (whoever current coach is) for it.

Sheesh indeed.

ricepig

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on January 16, 2017, 11:05:00 am
No expert, but I don't believe that to be accurate, I think at fall enrollment or beginning of fall practice is when you have to get to 85. It may be at the end of spring semester or some other time, but you can go above the number until some specified time. This is why you hear about the numbers working themselves out when teams sign a full recruiting class and go over the 85 limit.

Well, whatever the time frame is, it didn't bother us with getting 9 players in for spring practice. I think you can only have 85 come summer enrollment.

Oklahawg

Quote from: ricepig on January 16, 2017, 11:13:00 am
Well, whatever the time frame is, it didn't bother us with getting 9 players in for spring practice. I think you can only have 85 come summer enrollment.

Yes, cannot have more than 85 at any time.  The big senior class created immediate room.

I created the 2017 thread and stickied it. You guys feel free to help me edit so that it is accurate.

hawgfan4life

Once upon a time, there was a WR at Southside in Fort Smith that was rated as one of the best players in AR and his recruiting was blowing up.  AR didn't really like the athlete as much as the fans and the coach was raked over the coals for not recruiting him and allowing TN to come in and steal a prized Arkansas athlete.  The coach was scrutinized for a few years until the athlete finally departed TN for a much smaller university and never really produced too much at that school.

Another story is when Arkansas had a QB rated as a top 5 nationally ranked recruit at the QB position.  The Razorback coaches privately told some insiders to the program that the kid wasn't SEC material but they had to sign him because they would be fired if they did not sign a QB from Arkansas the fans demanded they sign.  Wasted a scholarship.

Moral of the stories is leave the recruiting to the coaches.  They will be successful or fired based on their decisions.  OU could be in the picture to bait AR into offering so they can get on someone AR is recruiting.  If that is the case, we certainly wouldn't want to force the coach to take the bait.  For what it is worth, coaches will ask a recruit who all has offered and many will offer simply because other schools have offered.  Witnessed that first hand.  Don't think for an instance that there are not strategic moves going on in recruiting at times.

AirWarren

Quote from: hawgfan4life on January 16, 2017, 01:19:57 pm
Once upon a time, there was a WR at Southside in Fort Smith that was rated as one of the best players in AR and his recruiting was blowing up.  AR didn't really like the athlete as much as the fans and the coach was raked over the coals for not recruiting him and allowing TN to come in and steal a prized Arkansas athlete.  The coach was scrutinized for a few years until the athlete finally departed TN for a much smaller university and never really produced too much at that school.

Another story is when Arkansas had a QB rated as a top 5 nationally ranked recruit at the QB position.  The Razorback coaches privately told some insiders to the program that the kid wasn't SEC material but they had to sign him because they would be fired if they did not sign a QB from Arkansas the fans demanded they sign.  Wasted a scholarship.

Moral of the stories is leave the recruiting to the coaches.  They will be successful or fired based on their decisions.  OU could be in the picture to bait AR into offering so they can get on someone AR is recruiting.  If that is the case, we certainly wouldn't want to force the coach to take the bait.  For what it is worth, coaches will ask a recruit who all has offered and many will offer simply because other schools have offered.  Witnessed that first hand.  Don't think for an instance that there are not strategic moves going on in recruiting at times.

Way too much reason and thought process for this board man. You're wasting your time with reasoning here.

Wildhog

I guess I missed it.  Do we have posters that aren't allowing the coaches to recruit?  People are going to have opinions.  Might as well get over it.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: hawgfan4life on January 16, 2017, 01:19:57 pm

I know of at least 3 versions of this same story dating back to about 1999. 

hawgfan4life

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on January 16, 2017, 01:52:52 pm
I know of at least 3 versions of this same story dating back to about 1999. 

Tell them and I will let you know which one is accurate.

Hog Fan...DOH!

Quote from: hawgfan4life on January 16, 2017, 01:55:53 pm
Tell them and I will let you know which one is accurate.

I don't want to bash a home Grown footBall player.   

Oklahawg

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on January 16, 2017, 02:02:24 pm

Thanks. And, there is some validity to your notion.

onebadrubi

I kind of want to hear these

Philibuster

Fort Dweller

Tennessee offered earlier today
Quote from: Fatty McGee on June 03, 2012, 09:43:59 pmRabid gay rampage?  That's quite a phrase.  I picture rundown neighborhoods being gentrified by angry, fit, childless, and well dressed mobs.
Quote from: sharpd1 on September 23, 2012, 08:33:21 pmSome of the people posting on here aren't good at brain stuff.
Quote from: PonderinHog on June 26, 2013, 11:15:49 pm
What if he chews a Poptart into the shape of two men holding hands - or worse?
Quote from: PharmacistHog on February 19, 2015, 10:09:07 am
Did you really click on the "report to moderator" button.  And not only that but do it on yourself? 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Fort Dweller on January 16, 2017, 07:41:25 pm
Tennessee offered earlier today

Dang.  Calloway better come through for us.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

grayhawg

Offers from Notre Dame, OU, Okla State and Tenner, I hope this don't come back to bite us in the butt.

trphog

Being a team who has had terrible defensive back play for several years, how can you not offer a home grown kid with a 4* offer list? Chris Daniels 2.0

Letsroll1200

Quote from: grayhawg on January 16, 2017, 07:50:43 pm
Offers from Notre Dame, OU, Okla State and Tenner, I hope this don't come back to bite us in the butt.

It's pitiful

NotSoFastMyFriend

Expect an Alabama offer in the next few days. This is not speculation.

factchecker

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on January 16, 2017, 09:29:43 pm
Expect an Alabama offer in the next few days. This is not speculation.

Alabama is full.... aren't they?  Unless they are planning on processing/rescinding some of their offers.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

hawgfan4life

Me either.  I didn't use names.  Really isn't bashing someone because they didn't live up to hype others placed on them.  They were great H.S. players and great individuals for all I know.  However, they weren't as great as the recruiting prognosticators and fans believed them to be.  Each were an example of coaches passing because they evaluated correctly and signing despite evaluation due to fan pressure.  In the long run, it is better to sign the players you evaluate the best if you are the coach.  It is best for fans to leave their trust in the coaches that are paid to do the recruiting. 

hawgfan4life

Quote from: grayhawg on January 16, 2017, 07:50:43 pm

All of these big name schools are starting to scramble to offer all of a sudden.  Why didn't they all offer earlier?  What happened for them to all of a sudden discover his amazing ability to play at a high level for elite schools?  I had a kid that nobody would offer.  All of a sudden, after he got his first offer, they rolled in right and left.  Until it started being common knowledge, every school asked who has offered.  A few were hedging on an offer until they heard who had offered and then they said they were offering a full ride.  A couple even stated, "If XXX university is offering, we are too."  After the first few offers, they started knowing who was offering because assistant coaches and friends of programs knew who had offered and they were talking to each other. The same thing is happening here with this kid if these schools are all offering all of a sudden.  They were all sitting back looking and once one or two schools pulled the trigger, several are pulling the trigger because they have a spot to fill that isn't locked up tight.

hawgfan4life

Good for the kid.  Hope he goes somewhere and is very successful.  Unless it is OU or Notre Dame.  I wish nobody success at those schools.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgfan4life on January 16, 2017, 09:52:40 pm
Good for the kid.  Hope he goes somewhere and is very successful.  Unless it is OU or Notre Dame.  I wish nobody success at those schools.

Sounds good to me, as well.

onebadrubi

Quote from: trphog on January 16, 2017, 08:29:20 pm
Being a team who has had terrible defensive back play for several years, how can you not offer a home grown kid with a 4* offer list? Chris Daniels 2.0

4* offer list?  Not quite yet. 

This place would go nuts if Bielema had offered Norwood say in November, Norwood commits, and we have to turn away Calloway because we are out of room.

Oklahawg

Quote from: hawgfan4life on January 16, 2017, 09:50:44 pm
All of these big name schools are starting to scramble to offer all of a sudden.  Why didn't they all offer earlier?  What happened for them to all of a sudden discover his amazing ability to play at a high level for elite schools?  I had a kid that nobody would offer.  All of a sudden, after he got his first offer, they rolled in right and left.  Until it started being common knowledge, every school asked who has offered.  A few were hedging on an offer until they heard who had offered and then they said they were offering a full ride.  A couple even stated, "If XXX university is offering, we are too."  After the first few offers, they started knowing who was offering because assistant coaches and friends of programs knew who had offered and they were talking to each other. The same thing is happening here with this kid if these schools are all offering all of a sudden.  They were all sitting back looking and once one or two schools pulled the trigger, several are pulling the trigger because they have a spot to fill that isn't locked up tight.

Good post.

Oklahawg

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 16, 2017, 10:37:52 pm

This place would go nuts if Bielema had offered Norwood say in November, Norwood commits, and we have to turn away Calloway because we are out of room.

Agreed.

I want the staff to recruit the players they believe in. Too bad for a Ft Smith kid that he is too far down the list to warrant an offer, even a late one (so it appears).

And if this kid scores a late offer the folks beefing about it will be back complaining that he'd come to UA if we had only started in earlier (Chris Daniels 2.0 indeed). But, if he says, "hell yes!" there won't be anyone saying, "oh, so we can get these kids at the last minute, cool."

hawginbigd1

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 16, 2017, 10:37:52 pm

I don't know the situation that well, but with who we have legitimately been on you can't give him a commitable offer until we miss IMO. Now if the staff has totally neglected him that would be to bad! Maybe it's just me but you would think parents and kids would want to hear, we like you and if we have room at the end we want you on board, but if you see something you think is a better situation we understand.