Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

update on LB target thomas johnston from al.com

Started by monty hawg, January 11, 2017, 02:45:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

navyhog24

I think Kyrei Fisher took his spot and the staff didn't wanna get caught with their pants down like they always do if Johnston didn't choose the Hogs

PorkRinds

He wants to ask Ole Miss about their NCAA situation? Um....they're going to lie to you about it.

Hogs33

Seriously? Ask Ole Miss about their NCAA situation? Like they would tell you if things were looking bleak....
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company." Mark Twain

hawginbigd1

I haven't said it before now, but I have not been keen on this guy since I watched him play on ESPN, reminded me a lot of a guy on our current roster I have been over for about 3 years.

mook

I'm just glad we have already gotten an upgrade as far as speed at the ILB position. As smart as it was, the talent will be upgraded this year. 

MuskogeeHogFan

I like the kid from the standpoint of toughness. He certainly appears to like to hit. I do like kids that will put a hat on you (well, a shoulder these days lest you be flagged for targeting).

But in his film I didn't see many spots where he had to fight through a blocker to get to a ball carrier. Saw a lot of running around a blocker, which superior athletes can get away with in H.S. but not in college.

Not sure of his quickness and reaction time either. Could be very good, but it didn't appear to be so vs. H.s. competition.

Could wind up being an exceptional athlete, you never know.
Go Hogs Go!

The_Boot_stops_here

Man, would like to have had this guy.  Seemed to be in the driver's seat for the longest but somehow ended up in the ditch

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: navyhog24 on January 11, 2017, 02:54:09 pm
I think Kyrei Fisher took his spot and the staff didn't wanna get caught with their pants down like they always do if Johnston didn't choose the Hogs

Supposedly, they both had a spot

HOGINTENNESSEE

He can make tackles. Improvement from our defense last year

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on January 11, 2017, 07:57:56 pm
Man, would like to have had this guy.  Seemed to be in the driver's seat for the longest but somehow ended up in the ditch

His statement about, "been to Auburn many times, just need to hear how they plan to use me", kinda said it all to me. I'm not sure we were really ever in "the driver's seat" in reality. I guess he could change his mind and sign with Arkansas, but that comment doesn't leave me confident.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 11, 2017, 08:01:37 pm
He can make tackles. Improvement from our defense last year

It's High School. We have seen others look great in High School against High School talent. I'm not saying that he wouldn't be a great addition, he very well could be. But we always seem to blow up expectations of a player beyond what they should be based solely on their performance against high school competition.
Go Hogs Go!

ricepig

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 11, 2017, 08:09:27 pm
His statement about, "been to Auburn many times, just need to hear how they plan to use me", kinda said it all to me. I'm not sure we were really ever in "the driver's seat" in reality. I guess he could change his mind and sign with Arkansas, but that comment doesn't leave me confident.

I think he was waiting on a commitable offer from them, just my feeling on it.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 11, 2017, 08:11:50 pm
It's High School. We have seen others look great in High School against High School talent. I'm not saying that he wouldn't be a great addition, he very well could be. But we always seem to blow up expectations of a player beyond what they should be based solely on their performance against high school competition.

All time Bama HS record for tackles

ImHogginIt

I looked at his twitter feed a few times the past month and each time he seemed to be retweeting all things Iowa the most.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

lakecityhog

You mean the "kid" that just got an invite to the NFL COMBINE?????

Oklahawg

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 11, 2017, 08:32:32 pm
All time Bama HS record for tackles

More easy tackles =/= better tackling when it is tough
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

hawginbigd1

King Kong

January 11, 2017, 10:53:06 pm #19 Last Edit: January 12, 2017, 05:58:25 am by King Kong
Quote from: Oklahawg on January 11, 2017, 09:50:31 pm
More easy tackles =/= better tackling when it is tough

Rather have a player that can make easy tackles than no tackles like our team

longpig

Don't be scared, be smart.

factchecker

Quote from: longpig on January 11, 2017, 10:59:07 pm
Is it just me or are a lot of LBs gingers?

You've got to be angry to play linebacker.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

JackJohnson

We really need to replace Segrest and Hargreaves with some actual SEC level coaches and recruiters

Oklahawg

Quote from: King Kong on January 11, 2017, 10:53:06 pm
Rather have a player that can make easy tackles than no tackles like our team

You don't get it.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: JackJohnson on January 12, 2017, 05:54:18 am
We really need to replace Segrest and Hargreaves with some actual SEC level coaches and recruiters

Hargreaves doesn't worry me as much as Segrest, but it is Segrest that seems to have some relationships built with recruits. Yes, this is a puzzler.

Who is the territory coach who is responsible for Dallas area? They are doing pretty impressive work - Calloway, Pool, RW3, Orsi (or whatever the spelling of that other LB prospect).

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 12, 2017, 07:15:18 am
Hargreaves doesn't worry me as much as Segrest, but it is Segrest that seems to have some relationships built with recruits. Yes, this is a puzzler.

Who is the territory coach who is responsible for Dallas area? They are doing pretty impressive work - Calloway, Pool, RW3, Orsi (or whatever the spelling of that other LB prospect).

Pool will be a third generation Ark alum and lots of family are Hog fans. Calloway has a number of family members who are Hog fans too so it wasn't too difficult recruiting them in the Dallas area.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: ImHogginIt on January 12, 2017, 07:27:57 am
Pool will be a third generation Ark alum and lots of family are Hog fans. Calloway has a number of family members who are Hog fans too so it wasn't too difficult recruiting them in the Dallas area.

I would tend to agree with you but we have struggled with legacy recruits in basketball and football over the last several years.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

King Kong

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 12, 2017, 07:13:42 am
You don't get it.

Apparently you don't get it. Easy tackles were there to be made this year and we missed them.

IMABIELEMA

I've been saying this from the get go... Auburn & Alabama don't want him and that's all I need to know.

Ramboar

I'll be yo Huckleberry

onebadrubi

Quote from: IMABIELEMA on January 12, 2017, 08:00:21 am
I've been saying this from the get go... Auburn & Alabama don't want him and that's all I need to know.

But aperently auburn does

Ramboar

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 12, 2017, 08:23:21 am
But aperently auburn does
Auburn has bigger fish on the line. Kid is a hard nosed player but lacks speed.
I'll be yo Huckleberry

King Kong

Quote from: IMABIELEMA on January 12, 2017, 08:00:21 am

Auburn doesn't want him yet they are bringing him in for an official and reportedly offered him last summer

IMABIELEMA

Quote from: King Kong on January 12, 2017, 08:41:40 am
Auburn doesn't want him yet they are bringing him in for an official and reportedly offered him last summer

He's a back up plan.  Not a bad backup plan but one none the less.

King Kong

Quote from: IMABIELEMA on January 12, 2017, 05:24:50 pm
He's a back up plan.  Not a bad backup plan but one none the less.

When did Gus tell you this?

Hawg Life

IMABIELEMA

Quote from: King Kong on January 12, 2017, 05:50:13 pm
When did Gus tell you this?
I guess you don't follow recruiting...

AUBURN is looking to take 4 LB's in this class. They already have 3 committed in Moultry, Britt, & Wooten.  They are putting the full court press on Tyler Taylor.  After him there are a few backup plans,  one being Johnston.

Like I said before... if Auburn & Alabama don't give the kid an offer he can commit to, then I don't want him at Arkansas. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: IMABIELEMA on January 12, 2017, 07:03:02 pm

AUBURN is looking to take 4 LB's in this class. They already have 3 committed in Moultry, Britt, & Wooten.  They are putting the full court press on Tyler Taylor.  After him there are a few backup plans,  one being Johnston.

Like I said before... if Auburn & Alabama don't give the kid an offer he can commit to, then I don't want him at Arkansas. 
so you think auburn and alabama should do our evaluations for us?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: IMABIELEMA on January 12, 2017, 07:03:02 pm

But Auburn has offered him are having him come in for an official

I'm glad we did use your logic for Trey Flowers

IMABIELEMA

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 12, 2017, 07:05:56 pm
But Auburn has offered him are having him come in for an official

I'm glad we did use your logic for Trey Flowers
There is a difference between an offer you can commit to and one you can't.  Auburn probably hands out over 100 "offers" per year.  Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee and other schools do the same.  They are slow playing him in case they miss out on higher guys.  This is very common practice.  We do the same thing.

IMABIELEMA

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 12, 2017, 07:05:02 pm
Both are loaded at LB so I would say they have good defensive evaluators....

Oklahawg

Quote from: IMABIELEMA on January 12, 2017, 07:11:58 pm
There is a difference between an offer you can commit to and one you can't.  Auburn probably hands out over 100 "offers" per year.  Alabama, Georgia, Tennessee and other schools do the same.  They are slow playing him in case they miss out on higher guys.  This is very common practice.  We do the same thing.

Good point. UA has a lot of "offers" out as well.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 11, 2017, 06:37:23 pm
I like the kid from the standpoint of toughness. He certainly appears to like to hit. I do like kids that will put a hat on you (well, a shoulder these days lest you be flagged for targeting).

But in his film I didn't see many spots where he had to fight through a blocker to get to a ball carrier. Saw a lot of running around a blocker, which superior athletes can get away with in H.S. but not in college.

Not sure of his quickness and reaction time either. Could be very good, but it didn't appear to be so vs. H.s. competition.

Could wind up being an exceptional athlete, you never know.

I felt much the same way but if the coaches like him...

IMABIELEMA

Turns out that Auburn wants him at FB and not LB... here's a quote from a beat writer about his visit to Auburn...

" The Spanish Fort linebacker was informed during his visit that Auburn is recruiting him exclusively at H-back/fullback. He prefers to play linebacker, but isn't completely opposed to playing fullback. He's informed Iowa, Arkansas and Ole Miss, all of which are recruiting him mainly at linebacker, that should he play on offense in college, it would be at Auburn.

He said Malzahn asked him to commit this morning, but he will wait and make his announcement on Jan. 26. He wants to visit Ole Miss and think about his decision for a few days before announcing it. He believes he is Auburn's top choice at fullback, but Chase Lasater will be on campus next."

ricepig

Quote from: IMABIELEMA on January 15, 2017, 01:47:04 pm
Turns out that Auburn wants him at FB and not LB... here's a quote from a beat writer about his visit to Auburn...

" The Spanish Fort linebacker was informed during his visit that Auburn is recruiting him exclusively at H-back/fullback. He prefers to play linebacker, but isn't completely opposed to playing fullback. He's informed Iowa, Arkansas and Ole Miss, all of which are recruiting him mainly at linebacker, that should he play on offense in college, it would be at Auburn.

He said Malzahn asked him to commit this morning, but he will wait and make his announcement on Jan. 26. He wants to visit Ole Miss and think about his decision for a few days before announcing it. He believes he is Auburn's top choice at fullback, but Chase Lasater will be on campus next."

I wonder how hard we are still pursuing him? We seem to have more pressing needs, but, who knows?

Redhogs

Quote from: PorkSoda on January 12, 2017, 07:05:02 pm
Maybe we wouldn't get beat 56-3 if they did? ;) ;)
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Piggfoot

We're wasting our time with this player. Sounds like he wants to go to Auburn.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

Dominicanhog

January 15, 2017, 03:46:02 pm #48 Last Edit: January 16, 2017, 07:07:02 am by Dominicanhog
Quote from: IMABIELEMA on January 15, 2017, 01:47:04 pm

sounds as though he really want's to go to Auburn... watching his video, though he arrives with an attitude, he looked slow....  not sure that's what we need.. I'd prefer we work on Dbs and DL's with the remaining schollys.. though the coaches know more about what they need and i'll trust their opinion...

I also wonder if we pursued him with the hopes of getting him and his teammate, since that is not going to happen...

Lastly, I've not seen where we have been to visit during this open period...

ricepig

Quote from: Piggfoot on January 15, 2017, 03:42:17 pm
We're wasting our time with this player. Sounds like he wants to go to Auburn.

Well, for months, he sounded like he wanted to go to Arkansas, then it was to Iowa. I suspect he was waiting on a commitable offer from Auburn.