Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Same old story

Started by grayhawg, January 01, 2017, 05:17:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

ricepig

colbs

Hawghiggs

We would be 2nd in the Big 12.  We have got to flip the narrative. I'm not advocating joining the Big 12. But building a new conference with Oklahoma and Texas might not be a bad idea.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: colbs on January 01, 2017, 05:50:18 pm
Pretty much the norm for a long time.

Correct.  Recruiting hasn't really improved measurably under BB.  Nothing to be impressed with, and the current class looks no different.  No surprise considering circumstances.

Attrition rate probably has improved, though, which improves the roster.  Starting to maybe RS more players, which also helps things.

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

ChicoHog

#21 is not bad.  We just need more of the top kids like SCarolina.  They have 6 and we have 2.  Difference between #16 and #21.   Muschamp always has been a good recruiter and their location is much better than ours. 

grayhawg

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 01, 2017, 08:35:52 pm
#21 is not bad.  We just need more of the top kids like SCarolina.  They have 6 and we have 2.  Difference between #16 and #21.   Muschamp always has been a good recruiter and their location is much better than ours. 
21 is not bad but 9th or 10th in the SEC sucks

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Hawghiggs on January 01, 2017, 05:58:29 pm

We would be 2nd in the Big 12.  We have got to flip the narrative. I'm not advocating joining the Big 12. But building a new conference with Oklahoma and Texas might not be a bad idea.

Well, you just named the two, B12 major players..... so it's the same as joining the B12.  Okla St. would have to be added to that, or Okla would not be allowed to come along to another conference.  Baylor, & TCU would probably be in there too.....might as well just join the B12 as it is.

Just call the new conference......."SWC ll"....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

ricepig

Quote from: grayhawg on January 01, 2017, 08:37:20 pm

Really, outside of the top 5, it's probably not that big of a statistical difference as far as the players go. Of course, that's all subjective, too.

The_Iceman

Quote from: grayhawg on January 01, 2017, 08:37:20 pm

Geography works against us. Like it or not. We will never be constantly better than where we are in recruiting.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 01, 2017, 06:05:18 pm
Correct.  Recruiting hasn't really improved measurably under BB.  Nothing to be impressed with, and the current class looks no different.  No surprise considering circumstances.

Attrition rate probably has improved, though, which improves the roster.  Starting to maybe RS more players, which also helps things.

What has improved is the recruits offer lists that we are recruiting now.

kp72204

Wait till this bowl game really settles in? Lets hope we don't lose a few. Also doubt Calloway wants to come here anymore

colbs

Quote from: kp72204 on January 01, 2017, 10:12:56 pm
Wait till this bowl game really settles in? Lets hope we don't lose a few. Also doubt Calloway wants to come here anymore
I doubt it will have much impact.  The other two schools he's considering didn't make a bowl.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: kp72204 on January 01, 2017, 10:12:56 pm
yeah, i heard it's Ohio State.

bwahahahahahahaha
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

presidenthog

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on January 01, 2017, 08:54:12 pm
Well, you just named the two, B12 major players..... so it's the same as joining the B12.  Okla St. would have to be added to that, or Okla would not be allowed to come along to another conference.  Baylor, & TCU would probably be in there too.....might as well just join the B12 as it is.

Just call the new conference......."SWC ll"....

So what's really wrong with rebuilding the SWC? We could start with the Old Big12 south teams plus Arkansas, Houston, and Tulane. That would give the new SWC 9 teams in four states.

al_pigcino

Quote from: presidenthog on January 01, 2017, 11:54:53 pm
Absolutely pathetic we can't out recruit SC or misstake
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2015/4/15/8143431/states-most-players-recruits
South Carolina produces twice as many DI athletes as us.
Mississippi 50% more when split among 3 FBS schools.

Don't look up when the sky is falling.

grayhawg

Quote from: al_pigcino on January 02, 2017, 08:08:24 am
http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2015/4/15/8143431/states-most-players-recruits
South Carolina produces twice as many DI athletes as us.
Mississippi 50% more when split among 3 FBS schools.

Don't look up when the sky is falling.
Our Coach has said several times "I came here to win the SEC" so how is he going to do that recruiting near the bottom of the conference every year?

The_Iceman

Quote from: grayhawg on January 02, 2017, 08:20:48 am
Our Coach has said several times "I came here to win the SEC" so how is he going to do that recruiting near the bottom of the conference every year?

Arkansas will never recruit near the top of the sec. That is fact and will never change no matter who the coach is.

al_pigcino

Quote from: grayhawg on January 02, 2017, 08:20:48 am
An actual program.  Unfortunately for HV you can't just hit the auto recruit button on NCAA football.  There is no X button to fast forward to the next season.  If you want to build an actual program you have to set up a redshirt program.  The problem here is we were already behind when he arrived.  We were forced to play people who should have redshirted instantly.  We are finally redshirting players and establishing the walkons.  It's the same process that Saban did at LSU and Alabama.......just with slower recruiting. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: RazorPiggie on January 01, 2017, 10:10:42 pm
What has improved is the recruits offer lists that we are recruiting now.

I would not say that it has.  Look st the current class as an example.  Nothing great.  About like usual.  A few blue chippers and many with unimpressive offer sheets.  Basically in line with BP.  That's just our program.

Pudgepork

With this coaching staff, attrition rates are way down.  Depth is being added and it is a process that
unless you do sign a class who all have DMAC talent, it takes time.   What we are going to see is a
roster loaded with 5th yr seniors.   Snarling and bashing has never changed anything for the positive.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: Pudgepork on January 02, 2017, 09:46:49 am
With this coaching staff, attrition rates are way down.  Depth is being added and it is a process that
unless you do sign a class who all have DMAC talent, it takes time.   What we are going to see is a
roster loaded with 5th yr seniors.   Snarling and bashing has never changed anything for the positive.

Yes, this is the main difference.  Less Attrition, which is certainly beneficial..  Talent is about where it's always been.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Pudgepork on January 02, 2017, 09:46:49 am

How much time in your opinion?  We're headed into year 5

al_pigcino

This is the year that we should see the program pay off.  We return 4 of 5 OL starters.  We return the QB.  We return both RB's.  Realistically I think the year after should be the judging point.  CBB didn't have the luxury of redshirting his first class due to the lack of talent.  But in the "show me now" state of the program he'll have to hit 9 wins I think before mumblings come about for termination. 

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: al_pigcino on January 02, 2017, 11:15:23 am
This is the year that we should see the program pay off.  We return 4 of 5 OL starters.  We return the QB.  We return both RB's.  Realistically I think the year after should be the judging point.  CBB didn't have the luxury of redshirting his first class due to the lack of talent.  But in the "show me now" state of the program he'll have to hit 9 wins I think before mumblings come about for termination. 

So judge him after next year, you say. Ok, fair enough. But you also reference the "show me now state of the program".  Next year will be 5 years. Is this your definition of "show me now?"

Oklahawg

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on January 02, 2017, 11:07:15 am
How much time in your opinion?  We're headed into year 5

Given that we were closer to the old Kansas State of the 80s (they of 0- and 1-win seasosn) than we were the Oklahoma or Nebraska of the 80s (they of the 0- and 1-loss seasons) I'd say that we are still in the window of acceptable.

I was fine with this recruiting class in mid-November. I thought it was improving our athleticism, increasing our length and speed, and targeting needs. If we have some massive whiff down the stretch, or lose a bunch of recruits, then I may reassess.

Too many on the board are knee-jerking over the 2nd half whiffs vs Mizzou and Va Tech. The bigger picture is we had a dysfunctional defense much of the year (how in the world does Florida feel right now?) while achieving a win/loss record not that far off from what many predicted around here (including many of the negative nancys).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Pig Papi

Quote from: Hawghiggs on January 01, 2017, 05:58:29 pm

Part of our current recruiting draw is the ability to play in the SEC.  If we left the SEC our recruiting national ranking would suffer, although we may not be as far down in the new conference recruiting rankings.

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 02, 2017, 11:21:48 am
Given that we were closer to the old Kansas State of the 80s (they of 0- and 1-win seasosn) than we were the Oklahoma or Nebraska of the 80s (they of the 0- and 1-loss seasons) I'd say that we are still in the window of acceptable.

I was fine with this recruiting class in mid-November. I thought it was improving our athleticism, increasing our length and speed, and targeting needs. If we have some massive whiff down the stretch, or lose a bunch of recruits, then I may reassess.

Too many on the board are knee-jerking over the 2nd half whiffs vs Mizzou and Va Tech. The bigger picture is we had a dysfunctional defense much of the year (how in the world does Florida feel right now?) while achieving a win/loss record not that far off from what many predicted around here (including many of the negative nancys).

Fair enough, given as I asked for opinion. In mine, year 5 will be put up or shut (which we all know Bielema has a hard time doing. Not that I mind, ha). However, taking a step back this year is a bad look. 

Oklahawg

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on January 02, 2017, 11:28:21 am
Fair enough, given as I asked for opinion. In mine, year 5 will be put up or shut (which we all know Bielema has a hard time doing. Not that I mind, ha). However, taking a step back this year is a bad look. 

Oh, I'd like to have finished 9-5. We'd be a bit more sane, if not a touch more optimistic.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 02, 2017, 11:30:06 am
Oh, I'd like to have finished 9-5. We'd be a bit more sane, if not a touch more optimistic.

My prediction was 8-4, 9-4 after bowl game. Its crazy that how some of the losses went down combined with losing to Mizzou, no matter what the score, just totally changed my outlook. 

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: al_pigcino on January 02, 2017, 11:15:23 am

Most coaches don't have the RS luxury when they take over a new program. 

However, Very reasonable to suggest that next year could be a put up or shut up year.  He returns quite a bit from 2016 with probably some decent younger players waiting in the wings to contribute.  But he'll have to clean some things up, whatever those things are.

tophawg19

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 01, 2017, 10:05:56 pm
Geography works against us. Like it or not. We will never be constantly better than where we are in recruiting.
This isn't true . If you have good recruiters , you can get kids from anywhere . look on the Michigan, Ohio State Rosters among others and you'll see a lot of Florida and Texas kids that could just as easily gone to Arkansas . The players are out there if you have the people to go get them. we can offer playing time in an SEC school , but they have to believe in what we are selling . And believe we are serious about winning
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 02, 2017, 02:20:42 pm
This isn't true . If you have good recruiters , you can get kids from anywhere . look on the Michigan, Ohio State Rosters among others and you'll see a lot of Florida and Texas kids that could just as easily gone to Arkansas . The players are out there if you have the people to go get them. we can offer playing time in an SEC school , but they have to believe in what we are selling . And believe we are serious about winning

Yes, but we aren't tOSU or Michigan.  They have big time national reputations.  They can recruit nationally with plenty of success. 

hog47

I keep hearing on this board "you can't recruit to Arkansas ". I'm just sick of this talk. Have any of you been to the towns where big time programs are?? Have any of you be to Tuscaloosa? How about Starkville? College Station really?? I have lived in Tuscaloosa and been to those programs towns and locations and they have nothing on Fayetteville.  Have any if you thought how much growth and the number of companies that located to NWA? The absolute number of opportunities kids have in that location? I doubt it. I graduated from Ohio State and Columbus is a great town but it isn't Vegas.  The Arkansas program facilities are second to none. What we have to do is recruit the best we can and win. Winning takes care of a lot of things. Before you guys say the chicken and egg thing I remind you with better coaching / coaches we should have won 9 games this year. Worst coaching on the defensive side I have ever witnessed in my life. We are recruiting better and with better coaching we will win with leads to better recruiting results.

tophawg19

we can offer as much as they can if we had the coaches to do it . we are a competitive SEC west team. the difference is look who they hire vs who we hire . The thing that makes them big time is they spend to hire the best , we cut corners trying to get lucky . A willingness to spend the money to hire the best available coaches is the difference between elite teams and the rest of us.
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 02, 2017, 02:41:16 pm
we can offer as much as they can if we had the coaches to do it . we are a competitive SEC west team. the difference is look who they hire vs who we hire . The thing that makes them big time is they spend to hire the best , we cut corners trying to get lucky . A willingness to spend the money to hire the best available coaches is the difference between elite teams and the rest of us.

I just don't think it's that simple.  Coaches want to go where the players are.  Fayetteville doesn't offer that.  Sure, we have money, but so does everyone else.  Any of the big boys can hang with us in a bidding war, probably beat us.  And they can offer significant football tradition and great recruiting opportunities.

hog47

Again I think that's just BS. Fayetteville is one of the top places to live and work

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: hog47 on January 02, 2017, 03:00:18 pm
Again I think that's just BS. Fayetteville is one of the top places to live and work

By what measure?

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: presidenthog on January 01, 2017, 11:54:53 pm
Absolutely pathetic we can't out recruit SC or misstake

1) Recruiting rankings aren't the only thing that matter in recruiting.
2) Did I miss signing day? Did it already happen? IF it did and IF recruiting rankings were the ONLY thing that mattered in recruiting then you might have a legitimate point. Short of that, all you've added to the discussion is an unfounded, emotional gripe.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Proximity to talent always bears out in the recruiting trail and always will. Path to success for Arkansas and schools like it is to finish with top 25 talent and then retain and develop that talent to the next level. Has always been the formula. Always will be. Also, the school has won exactly ZERO outright national championships so if you think the Hogs should be in the playoffs every year or every fourth year or every decade then the jokes on you. I love the Hogs but my expectations are tempered. I'm optimistic that next year will be better until it isn't.

Then it's on to next year.  :razorback:

ricepig

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 02, 2017, 03:01:45 pm
By what measure?

All the ones that don't matter to 85% of high school athletes.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: hog47 on January 02, 2017, 02:40:24 pm
I keep hearing on this board "you can't recruit to Arkansas ". I'm just sick of this talk. Have any of you been to the towns where big time programs are?? Have any of you be to Tuscaloosa? How about Starkville? College Station really?? I have lived in Tuscaloosa and been to those programs towns and locations and they have nothing on Fayetteville.  Have any if you thought how much growth and the number of companies that located to NWA? The absolute number of opportunities kids have in that location? I doubt it. I graduated from Ohio State and Columbus is a great town but it isn't Vegas.  The Arkansas program facilities are second to none. What we have to do is recruit the best we can and win. Winning takes care of a lot of things. Before you guys say the chicken and egg thing I remind you with better coaching / coaches we should have won 9 games this year. Worst coaching on the defensive side I have ever witnessed in my life. We are recruiting better and with better coaching we will win with leads to better recruiting results.
it's not about the town.  It is about the amount of talent within 200-300 miles of the town. 

this crap just isn't that hard.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: ricepig on January 02, 2017, 03:46:12 pm
All the ones that don't matter to 85% of high school athletes.

Sshhhh...let's see if he can figure it out.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: hog47 on January 02, 2017, 03:00:18 pm

And? What is so hard about seeing recruiting is 75 percent proximity to division 1 athletes.  Other than Columbia, Missouri, we are in the worst possible locale when our conference is the barometer.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

Athog

Quote from: colbs on January 01, 2017, 05:50:18 pm
Pretty much the norm for a long time.

No probably better than many years!

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Pig Papi on January 02, 2017, 11:22:21 am
Part of our current recruiting draw is the ability to play in the SEC.  If we left the SEC our recruiting national ranking would suffer, although we may not be as far down in the new conference recruiting rankings.

That is myth. The SEC tag has never helped Arkansas recruiting. As a matter of fact. One could make the claim that our recruiting has suffered because we have been in the SEC. Not playing on a regular basis in the state of Texas the last 25 years has created a void between the UofA and the Texas talent

ChicoHog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on January 02, 2017, 02:33:09 pm
Yes, but we aren't tOSU or Michigan.  They have big time national reputations.  They can recruit nationally with plenty of success. 
True.  And both of them get plenty of players from Ohio. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: tophawg19 on January 02, 2017, 02:41:16 pm
WTH?  Our coaches are up there with most of the SEC in salaries.  I'm sure if BB wanted a particular coach that costs a little more it could get approved.  I don't believe money for coaches has anything to do with recruiting issues.