Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Well, I have another question

Started by lakecityhog, January 01, 2017, 10:42:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: elviscat on January 07, 2017, 12:43:56 pm
Look what Bob Stoop has done in Oklahoma, it has the same dynamics's that we have in AR. He has been there for 18 years. He goes out and builds a relationship with the high school coaches in Texas and he loads up with his players, we use to do it under Broyles, Hatfield, Holtz, and Danny Ford. It's all about relationships and we are not getting the job done.We have recruited one kid in the top 100 in Texas last year. Uncommon is not working. We need to load our staff with coaches from Texas, La. Fa. Ga. and start building relationship in those state.

What Stoops has done at OU and what we have done here is two entirely different things.

How many 5 star players out of Texas have we signed since 2002 under any coach?  0

How many 4 star players out of Texas have we signed since 2002 under any coach?  10

That's over a period of 15 years through 2016.

Now I will agree that I think we need to make greater strides in Texas. Heck, Oklahoma State has averaged signing almost 14 Texas players each year since 2002, Oklahoma almost 10. We have averaged 5 each year since 2002 though it was about 6-7 each year under Nutt.

Go Hogs Go!

go hogues

Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on January 02, 2017, 11:58:51 am
I will tell you 1 thing about Starkville Mississippi since y'all don't really know. NE MS is a huge "Small Town" area. Tupelo has appx 30k and Columbus has appx 18K. Tupelo's transient population is about 95K because so many people work, shop and eat there. Starkville is growing into a major pop hub because of the school and it's attraction of industrial/technical jobs. People here are all MSU, Bama and then UM. My son plays for Amory High School and with only a student pop of 300 there are 4 legit D1 prospects in each Senior class. My son is limited by his 5' 7" height and see's little playing time. My brother @ White Hall was a 4 year starter at the same height; they both play OG... You cannot go to any game at any of the 3a or under schools in the area without seeing D1 talent. Then you factor in the big schools, and this is a talent rich place. MSU, UM and Bama are getting theirs out of here. Arkansas could too. Kids and HS coaches here respect Arkansas and would welcome our coaches with eagerness... Someone should be getting into these places...
None of our modern coaching staffs have ever given MS much attention. Never been sure why?

MS produces more NFL players per capita than any other state.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

holeinthewall

Quote from: Hoggie17 on January 01, 2017, 10:49:19 am
Texas is better and we share a border much like SC and Ga share a border.

Clemson is literally on the border with GA and less than 2 hours to Atlanta. It is also and incredible campus. Hell you can pull your boat up to the stadium there. Fayetteville in no way shares a border with Texas and is 5 hours to dallas  VT is a less than 5 hours to he Chesapeake/Norfolf/Virginia Beach area which produces a ton of top players.

This cycle VIrginia has 15 4 stars and another 35 3 stars.

Razorbax

Clemson has always been the 3rd~5th option in Georgia based upon region. Southern Georgia has a strong FSU contingent. Augusta (2nd largest city in Georgia) is closer to Columbia than Athens. The city is split mainly between UGA and USC. Mid-Southwest including Columbus has a strong Auburn contingent. As for Atlanta, It is picked over by Alabama/Georgia, GT, then a host of schools like Clemson. If you look at the last 4 signing classes (using CBB's tenure at Arkansas), Clemson signed 46 4/5 stars. only 10 was from Georgia. During the same period, they signed 11 from Florida. Geography does play a role... A big role. However, connections, history, personality and simply recruiting harder has a profound impact. As for the boat thing, I am sure it counts to some but I cannot quantify it any more than Devils Den attracting recruits.

As for all the athletes in Virginia, VT is not getting them because their average recruiting ranking is below ours during CBB's tenure. 
Quote from: holeinthewall on January 08, 2017, 06:38:27 am
Clemson is literally on the border with GA and less than 2 hours to Atlanta. It is also and incredible campus. Hell you can pull your boat up to the stadium there. Fayetteville in no way shares a border with Texas and is 5 hours to dallas  VT is a less than 5 hours to he Chesapeake/Norfolf/Virginia Beach area which produces a ton of top players.

This cycle VIrginia has 15 4 stars and another 35 3 stars.

jm

We are definitely at a disadvantage simply due to the population of the state. The largest schools from the most populous states will always have the advantage. With that said, the track team claims the same home state. Disadvantaged does not mean impossible.
Bandwagon players are like bandwagon fans- they go to the team that is popular at the time.

sigpooie

sorry but the Ark is too small is not a valid defense. We have almost 3 million people and one d 1 team. Bama has almost 5 million people and 3 d 1 teams. And if any of the "amount of people" helped your team, then Calf, TX teams would win it all every year with over 66 million people, followed by fl and ny with over 40 million people. Bama cheats well and has no one who will turn them in for it. so stop the bull about us not having enough people to get a team together. We have plenty, just not enough good hs coaches to make a difference.   
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

ricepig

Quote from: sigpooie on January 08, 2017, 10:09:09 am
sorry but the Ark is too small is not a valid defense. We have almost 3 million people and one d 1 team. Bama has almost 5 million people and 3 d 1 teams. And if any of the "amount of people" helped your team, then Calf, TX teams would win it all every year with over 66 million people, followed by fl and ny with over 40 million people. Bama cheats well and has no one who will turn them in for it. so stop the bull about us not having enough people to get a team together. We have plenty, just not enough good hs coaches to make a difference.   

I don't think you know what a D-I team is, lol, but anyway, here is a list of 2* and above in Alabama, and every state.

http://247sports.com/Season/2017-Football/CompositeRecruitRankings?State=AL

sigpooie

So no one told you that Rivals is an Alabama company and helps raise the ranks of college teams by "stating" the signing class should be ranked here? Also I'm only using d1 to show bama, burn and albirmingham. Which, even if it was only two would still show both schools with less that 3 million.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride! Hunter "my buddy" Thompson

ricepig

Quote from: sigpooie on January 08, 2017, 10:40:59 am
So no one told you that Rivals is an Alabama company and helps raise the ranks of college teams by "stating" the signing class should be ranked here? Also I'm only using d1 to show bama, burn and albirmingham. Which, even if it was only two would still show both schools with less that 3 million.

I not sure why you mentioned Rivals, I just showed the number of recruits in each state. Alabama has 5 times as many as Arkansas, Mississippi has 138 compared to Arkansas 23, and Alabama's 111, lol. It isn't population it football players, and AA population as a percentage of that states population.

LJHOG

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 01, 2017, 10:42:12 am
Lincoln, Nebraska
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Waco, Texas
Starkville, Mississippi
Salt Lake City, Utah
Iowa City, Iowa
And so many others
For the most part all these are average programs.  The exception might be Baylor currently, not historically.  And in a 50 mile radius of Waco is more talent than the entire state of Arkansas.  Plus they had a coach who came up through the ranks of Texas coaching and had very strong relationships with Texas HS coaches, VERY strong.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LJHOG on January 08, 2017, 01:04:29 pm
For the most part all these are average programs.  The exception might be Baylor currently, not historically.  And in a 50 mile radius of Waco is more talent than the entire state of Arkansas.  Plus they had a coach who came up through the ranks of Texas coaching and had very strong relationships with Texas HS coaches, VERY strong.

Yes, but it isn't as if they really made a dent in Texas and A&M recruiting, at least not until 2012. Since 2012 Baylor has signed two 5 stars and thirteen 4 stars. From 2002-2011 they had signed zero 5 stars and just five 4 stars. I wouldn't expect them to continue to have the impact on Texas recruiting that they had under Briles. Seems like a good time for us to swoop in and pick up some solid recruits.
Go Hogs Go!

sigpooie

Quote from: ricepig on January 08, 2017, 11:48:17 am
I not sure why you mentioned Rivals, I just showed the number of recruits in each state. Alabama has 5 times as many as Arkansas, Mississippi has 138 compared to Arkansas 23, and Alabama's 111, lol. It isn't population it football players, and AA population as a percentage of that states population.
Rivals has more people covering  al than ar. Rivals does not really even come close to covering our kids like they do their home state. It's a mater of getting information together on the area they cover. We are not covered very well. Do you really feel like AL has that many more d1 players than us. I don't.

ricepig

Quote from: sigpooie on January 08, 2017, 03:02:44 pm
Rivals has more people covering  al than ar. Rivals does not really even come close to covering our kids like they do their home state. It's a mater of getting information together on the area they cover. We are not covered very well. Do you really feel like AL has that many more d1 players than us. I don't.

24/7 isn't Rivals, and yes, both Mississippi and Alabama dwarf us in D-I players.

sigpooie

just keep thinking that. One day years from now you will know, it's not true,,

Oklahawg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 08, 2017, 01:30:25 pm
Yes, but it isn't as if they really made a dent in Texas and A&M recruiting, at least not until 2012. Since 2012 Baylor has signed two 5 stars and thirteen 4 stars. From 2002-2011 they had signed zero 5 stars and just five 4 stars. I wouldn't expect them to continue to have the impact on Texas recruiting that they had under Briles. Seems like a good time for us to swoop in and pick up some solid recruits.

Briles has never shied away from taking character risks, either. (That helped cause his problems.) When you set the bar high there you are reducing the pool of talent to recruit.

And, yes, this is a good chance to step in and try to make headway in Central Texas. With the slippage of TCU that helps in East TX also.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ricepig

Quote from: sigpooie on January 08, 2017, 06:12:41 pm
just keep thinking that. One day years from now you will know, it's not true,,

That 24/7 isn't Rivals, I know that today. Rivals is owned by Yahoo now, and 24/7 is owned by CBS Sports Digital, now. As far a football players, I think you must have played without a helmet too many times.

SquidBilly

Quote from: hawgdavis on January 01, 2017, 01:00:53 pm
Clemson for those that don't know is in the middle of nowhere and it's better than an hour to just get to Anderson sc and 2 to get to Greenville-Spartinberg. None of witch I would call a metropolis with a big draw.

Clemson is close enough to Greenville and Anderson to almost be considered suburbs of both.  Don't know how slow you drive but it would have to be really slow if it takes you that long to drive from Clemson to either of those places.