Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So Who Get's the Last 2-4 spots?

Started by colbs, December 19, 2016, 03:16:22 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ricepig

Cole committed to La Tech yesterday, and we are on a few JUCO D-linemen, Nate Anderson and Rashad Brandon. They along with Turner from LA are all committed to Mizzou.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: colbs on December 20, 2016, 09:50:03 am
Tennesse has put some good classes together under Butch.  They usually sign the maximum allowed.  Of the 56 signed in '13 & '14  classes 26 left before completing eligibility.  Everyone expected Tennessee to be great because of these top 10 classes they have been signing but they didn't take in account how almost of half of their first two classes left the program.
Pretty much the total opposite end of the spectrum when it comes to the approach to recruiting when compared to CBB. One can always argue that it's better just to sign as many highly rated kids as you can and then just let the numbers sort themselves out. Even if you figure a way to over sign the natural attrition over time will do the work for you. Obviously we'd all like to have the maximum number of 4 and 5 star kids inked each year AND they remain and meaningfully contribute to the program. However, not that many programs can say they've successfully navigated such a tricky balance. The programs that have I suspect are the ones that have the most success year in and year out.

With Butch's approach IMO the jury is still out. While it's been partially successfully, not sure if a lot of Tenner fans would say it's been up to their expectations when it comes to performance and results. It will be interesting to see if they continue to take the same tact going forward.

Oklahawg

Quote from: ricepig on December 22, 2016, 10:13:43 am
Cole committed to La Tech yesterday, and we are on a few JUCO D-linemen, Nate Anderson and Rashad Brandon. They along with Turner from LA are all committed to Mizzou.

The Mizzou staff (now led by the former DC, right?) did a great job of evaluating DL talent, having sent quite a few to the NFL over the past 3-4 years (ie, more than UA). Good names for recruitniks to research (Xmas to New Years Day being a really dark period for recruiting, this gives us something to do).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

The_Boot_stops_here

Looks like Reese Leitao might be a possibility again at DE. Decommitted from Nebraska and is teammates with Jordan Curtis

factchecker

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 23, 2016, 06:51:20 am
Looks like Reese Leitao might be a possibility again at DE. Decommitted from Nebraska and is teammates with Jordan Curtis

Reese is a tight end.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

The_Boot_stops_here

secneahog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on December 20, 2016, 09:05:34 am
Not if you can get someone like Johnston.  You take him if you can.  It isn't just about numbers.

See below...

Of course it's not all about numbers.
I don't think we get Johnston. 
I don't see any other lber names popping up, except 2018 guys.

I'm pretty sure 7 lbers, from last class and this class, gets us caught up on depth.   I would rather have a elite athlete, at CB or safety.   Dline?  We need to find the right stud. 
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

JackJohnson

Quote from: The_Boot_stops_here on December 23, 2016, 08:24:31 am
He's being recruited as a DE by Arkansas

He says he "kind of prefers TE" which is where Herman is recruiting him.  He knows he was talking to a Tex writer but I wouldn't  get my hopes up on this one

http://www.hornsports.com/articles/texas-longhorns-football/jenks-tight-end-reese-leitao-talks-texas-r5135

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: JackJohnson on December 23, 2016, 08:59:30 am
He says he "kind of prefers TE" which is where Herman is recruiting him.  He knows he was talking to a Tex writer but I wouldn't  get my hopes up on this one

http://www.hornsports.com/articles/texas-longhorns-football/jenks-tight-end-reese-leitao-talks-texas-r5135

Yeah, I don't expect him to end up a Hog. Never seemed super interested to me. Position may have a lot to do with that. Or he may just not be interested in Arkansas. I don't know. But he would seem to be a nice pickup if it did happen.

Oklahawg

His Dad is a college hoops coach somewhere. Kid has legit athleticism to play DE. Looks like he could even flex out into the slot if he kept his weight down (as a TE).

We pushed pretty hard last spring but I think he was down the TE list behind Patton and James (from TX, committed to Bama). Not sure we saw the need at DE as we do now. The decommit from NU can't just be about NU - they are a good team in a good conference, good academics, etc. Might be the push from UT (Herman is desperate, isn't he? throwing out offers everywhere) or a renewed push from UA.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra