Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tis the season for de-committing......

Started by ricepig, December 19, 2016, 11:46:47 am

Previous topic - Next topic

ThisTeetsTaken

Part of the problem with making teenagers celebrities.  That and so much money being on the line for college coaches.
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

hawgwash

I won't badmouth the kids for decommitting until there is a process in place that binds the schools as well.  If a kid can sign a LOI that binds the school, and he does sign it, then he's committed.  But as long as Nick Saban can yank a kid's offer a week before signing date there's no reason to fault a kid who changes his mind.

ricepig

Quote from: hawgwash on December 19, 2016, 12:36:27 pm
I won't badmouth the kids for decommitting until there is a process in place that binds the schools as well.  If a kid can sign a LOI that binds the school, and he does sign it, then he's committed.  But as long as Nick Saban can yank a kid's offer a week before signing date there's no reason to fault a kid who changes his mind.

An early signing period will clear a lot of this up. If ole Nick tells you to wait until February, you best be looking around.

The_Iceman

Doesn't bother me. Lots of things can change in the recruiting process before signing day. Like Ole Mi$$ offering more cash.

Oklahawg

Some of this has to do with academics. Watch for players to bail on P5 commits for non-P5 offers. Happens every year following mid-term grades.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

ChicoHog

Quote from: Oklahawg on December 19, 2016, 04:49:35 pm
Some of this has to do with academics. Watch for players to bail on P5 commits for non-P5 offers. Happens every year following mid-term grades.
Exactly.  Another thing I would like changed is moving the recruiting calendar back a month or so so coaches who change jobs can stay at their old job through the bowl season.  Make December a dead period so kids can concentrate on classes and family and enjoy Christmas.  Then pick up the recruiting again about Jan 10 after the playoff games and move signing day back until late February.  The biggest reason coaches bail on the old teams now is they have to recruit for the new teams.  I understand it, I just don't like it.

AirWarren

December 19, 2016, 10:02:09 pm #7 Last Edit: December 20, 2016, 08:51:08 am by AP85
Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on December 19, 2016, 12:08:17 pm
Part of the problem with making teenagers celebrities.  That and so much money being on the line for college coaches.

That. And the weird grown me that follow them around.

HoggusMaximus

scooby21322

Quote from: ChicoHog on December 19, 2016, 09:55:55 pm
Exactly.  Another thing I would like changed is moving the recruiting calendar back a month or so so coaches who change jobs can stay at their old job through the bowl season.  Make December a dead period so kids can concentrate on classes and family and enjoy Christmas.  Then pick up the recruiting again about Jan 10 after the playoff games and move signing day back until late February.  The biggest reason coaches bail on the old teams now is they have to recruit for the new teams.  I understand it, I just don't like it.

Agree 100%.  Coaching changes should allow for less restrictions on transferring too.  Players get stuck in situations where the new coach's schemes don't fit the player (e.g. Mallett and Tom Savage). 

PorkSoda

Quote from: ricepig on December 19, 2016, 12:42:12 pm
An early signing period will clear a lot of this up. If ole Nick tells you to wait until February, you best be looking around.
we have a signing period.  why would we need an early signing period?

not sure why people get worked up over commits and decommits.  the whole point is that both sides have all the way up until they sign the LOI to change thier minds.  reporting on commits is purely for the fans.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 20, 2016, 08:07:07 pm

not sure why people get worked up over commits and decommits.  the whole point is that both sides have all the way up until they sign the LOI to change thier minds.  reporting on commits is purely for the fans.

Umm, because some schools/coaches want it?

imtad16

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 20, 2016, 08:07:07 pm

Locking players up early, snagging players before Bama and Ohio State come in and steal them, and reducing the amount of players the coaches have to be in near constant contact with until February sounds good to me.

PorkSoda

Quote from: ricepig on December 20, 2016, 08:16:32 pm
Umm, because some schools/coaches want it?
why?  then just move signing day to thier junior year.  its not fixing anything.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

PorkSoda

Quote from: imtad16 on December 20, 2016, 08:36:57 pm
Locking players up early, snagging players before Bama and Ohio State come in and steal them, and reducing the amount of players the coaches have to be in near constant contact with until February sounds good to me.
so a player shouldn't be able to go to the school they want?  Do Bama and OSU not play by the same rules as everyone else?  do we need to build in handicaps like limiting the number of scholarships based on how many wins you had last year?

lets just do away with signing day and let schools pressure kids to sign their life away at any point in time.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 20, 2016, 08:45:49 pm
why?  then just move signing day to thier junior year.  its not fixing anything.

It's not to fix anything, it's to improve it.

PorkSoda

Quote from: ricepig on December 20, 2016, 08:56:26 pm
It's not to fix anything, it's to improve it.
how is it an improvement? its just different.  why have an early signing period?  if you want to move the signing period, then just move it.  why have 2?

from my understanding the problem that people are trying to solve is decommits.  I dont agree that it is a problem that needs solving.

imtad16

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 20, 2016, 08:46:25 pm
so a player shouldn't be able to go to the school they want?  Do Bama and OSU not play by the same rules as everyone else?  do we need to build in handicaps like limiting the number of scholarships based on how many wins you had last year?

lets just do away with signing day and let schools pressure kids to sign their life away at any point in time.

I think it will just be good for everyone (players, families, coaches, and their families) to break up/shorten the process. Sometimes I feel like the heavyweights like Bama and OSU don't have to do the same amount of evaluation leg work. They can come in and offer late and snag a player away from the next tier programs because of their status. Josh Jacobs last year is a good example of this. He is a bit of an outlier. Still this happens with the high 3 stars and low 4 star players as well. But hey maybe those programs have earned that. 

imtad16

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 20, 2016, 09:02:35 pm
how is it an improvement? its just different.  why have an early signing period?  if you want to move the signing period, then just move it.  why have 2?

from my understanding the problem that people are trying to solve is decommits.  I dont agree that it is a problem that needs solving.

Agree to disagree. The flip flopping is a little much.

It's a little like basketball. The periods would just be a bit closer.

ricepig

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 20, 2016, 09:02:35 pm

No, not entirely. It goes with coaches pulling scholarships the week or day before NSD, to cutting costs, to allowing players that wish to end their recruiting, end it early.

imtad16

I don't think trying to fix a perceived excessive amount flipping is what is driving the early signing period conversation either. Like Ricepig is saying, i think the proponents just want to tweak to improve it overall.

PorkSoda

Quote from: ricepig on December 20, 2016, 09:25:20 pm
No, not entirely. It goes with coaches pulling scholarships the week or day before NSD, to cutting costs, to allowing players that wish to end their recruiting, end it early.
what is the benefit of an early signing period that would make it preferable to moving signing day to earlier in the year?  nothing is forcing players to sign on signing day.  it just happens to be the first day they are allowed to sign.  To me, it seems like a reasonable time to sign since it is after their senior season.

coaches could still pull a scholly the week before early signing day and commits could still decommit the week before early signing day.

players could still sign after signing day to any team that is not yet full on scholarships, just like they can now. 

the reason we have them wait until signing day to sign is so that they don't make a rash decision after thier first visit, and have time to look around before making a decision.  if you have an early signing day, then they are going to be pressured to make a life changing decision without having had time to explore thier options..

ricepig

Quote from: PorkSoda on December 20, 2016, 10:07:59 pm
what is the benefit of an early signing period that would make it preferable to moving signing day to earlier in the year?  nothing is forcing players to sign on signing day.  it just happens to be the first day they are allowed to sign.  To me, it seems like a reasonable time to sign since it is after their senior season.

coaches could still pull a scholly the week before early signing day and commits could still decommit the week before early signing day.

players could still sign after signing day to any team that is not yet full on scholarships, just like they can now. 

the reason we have them wait until signing day to sign is so that they don't make a rash decision after thier first visit, and have time to look around before making a decision.  if you have an early signing day, then they are going to be pressured to make a life changing decision without having had time to explore thier options..

It's for those who are ready to finalize their recruiting period, same as in basketball. Schools will no longer have to spend money sending coaches to babysit them during the year, and a fortune in postage. If Nick offers you a scholarship as a 10th grader and you tell him you want to sign early in June instead of Feb, he can't say wait, without you understanding you're a Plan B. It gives the athletes 7 months to find a home, instead of 7 days, or hours.

JackJohnson

For schools that recruit at the level Arkansas does an early signing period will only help us

MS_HogFan

Quote from: ricepig on December 21, 2016, 05:45:26 am

If Nick offers you a scholarship as a 10th grader and you tell him you want to sign early in June instead of Feb, he can't say wait, without you understanding you're a Plan B. It gives the athletes 7 months to find a home, instead of 7 days, or hours.

Good example. I've never seen it explained like that.
SOOIE

imtad16

Quote from: ricepig on December 21, 2016, 05:45:26 am
It's for those who are ready to finalize their recruiting period, same as in basketball. Schools will no longer have to spend money sending coaches to babysit them during the year, and a fortune in postage. If Nick offers you a scholarship as a 10th grader and you tell him you want to sign early in June instead of Feb, he can't say wait, without you understanding you're a Plan B. It gives the athletes 7 months to find a home, instead of 7 days, or hours.

It would be interesting to see how much this could reduce cost in recruiting budgets.

hawgwash

Quote from: JackJohnson on December 21, 2016, 08:28:17 am
For schools that recruit at the level Arkansas does an early signing period will only help us
I asked RD his opinion on this in a different thread.  I'd be interested in hearing the pros and cons on this for schools such as us.  Would it help or hurt our recruiting?

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: imtad16 on December 20, 2016, 08:36:57 pm

You would probably see a lot more kids transferring because they got locked into a school they really didn't want way too early in the process.  Leave it alone and give both side plenty of time to get it as right as possible.

imtad16

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on December 21, 2016, 12:10:22 pm
You would probably see a lot more kids transferring because they got locked into a school they really didn't want way too early in the process.  Leave it alone and give both side plenty of time to get it as right as possible.

Yeah I mean that could be a downside/con, but probably not enough to out weight the pros. That doesn't seem to be an issue in basketball. For those who aren't sure they can take it down to February. For those who are ready you can sign in November or December or sometime in the fall. I mean the earliest you could sign would be November or December or sometime in the fall of your senior year.

ricepig

Quote from: imtad16 on December 21, 2016, 11:51:41 am

It would be interesting to see how much this could reduce cost in recruiting budgets.

Well, Bret mentioned not having to fly coaches down to see guys already signed, and I'm sure 3 letters a day instead of 10 would cut the recruiting budget some. I'm sure they'll just use the money elsewhere, they're probably like the government, a smaller increase in spending is a cut, lol.

hawgwash

Quote from: imtad16 on December 21, 2016, 12:20:51 pm
Yeah I mean that could be a downside/con, but probably not enough to out weight the pros. That doesn't seem to be an issue in basketball. For those who aren't sure they can take it down to February. For those who are ready you can sign in November or December or sometime in the fall. I mean the earliest you could sign would be November or December or sometime in the fall of your senior year.
My gut instinct is allowing early signings is a plus, but I think Cinco may have a point about more transfers.  It seems to me that there are a LOT of transfers in basketball as a % of the number of players on scholarship.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: imtad16 on December 21, 2016, 12:20:51 pm

I'm just thinking that coaches are gonna find ways to put pressure on kids one way or the other.  With two signing periods it's twice the pressure.  If a player really knows we're he is going he can commit at any time and shutdown his recruiting. 

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on December 22, 2016, 10:21:16 am
I'm just thinking that coaches are gonna find ways to put pressure on kids one way or the other.  With two signing periods it's twice the pressure.  If a player really knows we're he is going he can commit at any time and shutdown his recruiting.

An early signing, during an early signing period......is the only thing that will really shut down recruiting to any one player.  Look at all the committed players right now, that are still taking visits & meeting with other schools & coaches.   
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on December 22, 2016, 09:42:49 pm
An early signing, during an early signing period......is the only thing that will really shut down recruiting to any one player.  Look at all the committed players right now, that are still taking visits & meeting with other schools & coaches.

If they are still involved in the recruiting process it's because they want to be.

Sow Lancelot

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on December 22, 2016, 10:21:16 am
Philon disagrees.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

JackJohnson

Quote from: Sow Lancelot on December 23, 2016, 06:40:35 am
Philon disagrees.

No...that is exactly the point.  With An early signing period Philon is locked in with bama and signs early...or he gets to reopen his recruiting with 2 months to find a new home rather then 2 hours

PorkRinds

Quote from: JackJohnson on December 23, 2016, 09:03:57 am
No...that is exactly the point.  With An early signing period Philon is locked in with bama and signs early...or he gets to reopen his recruiting with 2 months to find a new home rather then 2 hours

Uh...the point is that Saban couldn't have jerked his scholly for an injury if he had already signed. He would have never been in that situation with an early signing period.

JackJohnson

Quote from: PorkRinds on December 23, 2016, 10:28:03 am
Uh...the point is that Saban couldn't have jerked his scholly for an injury if he had already signed. He would have never been in that situation with an early signing period.

That is exactly what I just said.  Wow

factchecker

Quote from: JackJohnson on December 23, 2016, 09:03:57 am

Philon had his scholarship revoked the last minute b/c there wasn't an early signing period.  An early signing period makes it harder for Saban to do his yearly purge.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PorkRinds

Quote from: factchecker on December 23, 2016, 10:48:09 am
Philon had his scholarship revoked the last minute b/c there wasn't an early signing period.  An early signing period makes it harder for Saban to do his yearly purge.

I guess I wasn't the only one that "misunderstood" you. Maybe it could have been expressed more clearly?

JackJohnson

Quote from: factchecker on December 23, 2016, 10:48:09 am

No darn Sherlock that's what I said.  Reading comprehension is a lost art I guess

JackJohnson

What part of "with an early signing period Philon is locked in with bama" does it take a freaking genius to understand? 

My god no wonder coaches of Nutt's caliber were allowed to stay for 10 years and petrino is gone in 4

PorkRinds

Quote from: JackJohnson on December 23, 2016, 10:56:43 am
What part of "with an early signing period Philon is locked in with bama" does it take a freaking genius to understand? 

My god no wonder coaches of Nutt's caliber were allowed to stay for 10 years and petrino is gone in 4

I do believe it may be communication skills, or lack therof, Mr. Watson.

Hogberry Snortcake

There's that agenda.  Knew it would pop up.

factchecker

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

The_Boot_stops_here

Quote from: Hogberry Snortcake on December 23, 2016, 11:06:12 am
There's that agenda.  Knew it would pop up.

There's that agenda. Knew it would pop up

imtad16

Would anyone like to tell him why Petrino was gone after 4 years?

Vantage 8 dude

Depends how one defines "caliber" in both cases. IMO with the former is was his low "caliber" performance as both a HC and a person; in the case of the latter is was absolutely no doubt because of his slim ball personality/personal life.

ricepig

Quote from: imtad16 on December 23, 2016, 12:15:18 pm

Would anyone like to tell him why Petrino was gone after 4 years?

Well, first, he wasn't/isn't going to stay anywhere for very long, and lastly, there's an issue with lying.