Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2014-15 College Basketball Transfers, Rumors, Grads, and Packed Bag Updates

Started by jbcarol, December 18, 2013, 08:54:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Xavier forward Justin Martin is free to move about the country for his final season of college basketball. Martin will graduate from Xavier this May and will seek a transfer out for his final year of eligibility.

He's listed at 6-6, 205-pounds and he averaged 11.7 points and 5.2 rebounds per game for the Musketeers in 2013-14.

http://kentuckysportsradio.com/basketball-2/a-new-graduate-transfer-option-emerges
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

ChicoHog

I think way too many kids are transferring now.  Not fond of the 5th year senior rule.  I'm still old school and think if a player transfers then they should have to sit a year unless they go to a D2 school. 

k.c.hawg

Quote from: ChicoHog on April 13, 2014, 09:36:43 am
I think way too many kids are transferring now.  Not fond of the 5th year senior rule.  I'm still old school and think if a player transfers then they should have to sit a year unless they go to a D2 school. 

I like the fact that a kid can take care of his business and get his degree and earn the opportunity to go create a better situation for himself. There are some kids out there getting their degree in 3 years and going to play their 4th year somewhere else. Russell Wilson was more than likely going to sit on the bench his senior season at NC State behind Mike Glennon.....Wilson by taking care of his business was able to go to Wisconsin, play in a Rose Bowl and get drafted by the Seahawks. Glennon became the starter at NC State and was drafted by the Bucaneers.

Considering the number of student athletes that never graduate, the number that transfer because they aren't getting enough playing time....I have no problem giving the ones that get their degree the option of playing their last season elsewhere if they consider it to be a better situation for themselves. They are leaving their previous institution in good standing APR wise and in a sense have fulfilled what should be the original intent of getting a degree.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

jbcarol

Ben Roberts ‏@NextCats ·15 hrs
Bryce Dejean-Jones ... RT @B2nyce Had a great weekend in Ames my first time there but won't be the last I've decided I wanna be a Cyclone!

Ben Roberts ‏@NextCats
Bryce Dejean-Jones -- a 6-5 guard -- averaged 13.6 points as junior at UNLV this season. Definitely leaving Rebels after graduating in May.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred ·14 hrs
Tennessee State graduate transfer M.J. Rhett is no longer considering the #Vols, he told @GoVolsXtra ...

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN ·12 hrs
Tennessee State transfer MJ Rhett (@@carolinaboy_4) has been to Oklahoma State, Tulane and Ole Miss. Will visit USC Friday and Miami Monday.

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN ·12 hrs
Rhett -- who will be eligible next season as a fifth-year grad transfer, said he got off phone tonight with Kevin Ollie. UConn interested.

jbcarol

Nolan Cressler ‏@NacFlow_3 ·19 hrs
Excited to say that I'm going to Vanderbilt university next year! #AnchorDown

6-4 shooter averaged 17 ppg for Cornell.

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred  4h
Updates: #Vols G Robert Hubbs told his hometown paper he isn't transferring...

jbcarol

Byron Wesley ‏@byron_wesley  23m
I would like to announce that I have decided to graduate from USC this summer and transfer for my final year of college basketball.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  39m
Marshall transfer Kareem Canty will visit Auburn, South Florida and Penn State.

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN ·1h
Keep being told per multiple industry sources that Florida is in the mix for Michigan transfer Jon Horford.

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN ·1 hr
Jon Horford's brother, Al, had a good amount of success under Billy Donovan at Florida. Would make sense. Gators lack frontcourt depth.

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria  Apr 18
Whose transfer was shorter, Chris Obekpa or Jerome Seagears? Seagears  enrolled in another school. Auburn, or "the moon" as he called it.

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria  Apr 18
Obekpa to Return to St. John's...

jbcarol

Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein  22m
Bruce Pearl has a floor general RT @CBTonNBC: Report: Former Marshall guard Kareem Canty transferring to Auburn http://wp.me/p1aWjM-24Bb

jbcarol

HoopS

jbcarol

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN ·3h
Marshall transfer Kareem Canty backs off Auburn commitment, tells ESPN he will visit South Florida: http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10811749/kareem-canty-backs-auburn-commit-visit-usf ...

jbcarol

Derek Willis' high school coach says you should ignore any rumors that the sophomore-to-be is thinking about transferring from UK. Remember, Rex Chapman is on record as tweeting that Willis will have a much bigger role next season.

http://johnclay.bloginky.com/2014/04/23/bbl-john-wall-and-wizards-beat-bulls-and-critics

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN ·21 hrs
IUPUI transfer Ian Chiles has visited Auburn, and is looking at Maryland, Tennessee, South Florida and Western Kentucky.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Pat Forde ‏@YahooForde  41m
Kentucky F Derek Willis weighing transfer options, per multiple sources. Not a surprise. Barely played as a freshman, will be same next yr.

jbcarol

Kevin Brockway ‏@gatorhoops ·17 hrs
Virginia's McGee may consider transfer to Florida - http://www.gatorsports.com/article/20140425/articles/140429691 ... - via @Gator_sports

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN ·44 mins
Florida has landed Michigan transfer Jon Horford, sources told ESPN. Eligible next season. Will help Gators frontcourt depth.

Break & Run

Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

jbcarol

jbcarol

Pat Forde ‏@YahooForde  16h
Derek Willis update: Del Willis, Derek's dad, says this afternoon that he talked to his son today and he "seemed firm" on staying at UK.

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson ‏@Ben_Fred  1h
Per @GoodmanESPN, Purdue transfer Ronnie Johnson will visit UT this week. #Vols, Xavier, Houston in mix. 10.8 ppg, 3.7 apg as sophomore.

jbcarol

Vincent Vega ‏@derek_willis33  59m
I am not transferring or leaving Kentucky quit bothering me about the situation . It is annoying and untrue #BBN

jbcarol

Chip Miller ‏@BLUEChip_Miller 1m
Kansas point guard Naadir Tharpe is expected to transfer, sources told @GoodmanESPN.

yraciv

Quote from: jbcarol on May 01, 2014, 11:56:28 am
Chip Miller ‏@BLUEChip_Miller 1m
Kansas point guard Naadir Tharpe is expected to transfer, sources told @GoodmanESPN.

This one surprises me. Starter for a national program, and it's not like Kansas has any PG coming in yet.  I guess that leaves Mason to takes over.  They are still on the top PG left on the board, Devonte Graham, but ironically he goes to the same high school Tharpe went too.

jbcarol

Quote from: yraciv on May 01, 2014, 01:06:51 pm
This one surprises me. Starter for a national program, and it's not like Kansas has any PG coming in yet.  I guess that leaves Mason to takes over.  They are still on the top PG left on the board, Devonte Graham, but ironically he goes to the same high school Tharpe went too.

Reports that Tharpe will not graduate in 2014 from KU. He will not be able to play immediately.

jbcarol

While the word "epidemic" might attach a little bit too much hysteria to the issue of player transfers, it has become a much more accepted practice in the sport today.

"We joke about it," said Matt Green, an AAU coach in Indianapolis, "like it's a free-agent market after the Final Four."

Quote"They transfer high schools. They transfer AAU teams," Coach Barry Hinson said. "The numbers are skewed somewhat, but the highest majority of the numbers are those guys, I honestly believe, that are going for greener grass."

Jeff Goodman, a national college basketball reporter for ESPN, tracks transfers on an annual basis. In 2011, his list included 291 names. In 2013, it reached 455.

That uptick, while noticeable, requires context. If all 351 Division I men's basketball programs handed out 13 scholarships, then 455 player transfers would represent about 10 percent of all scholarship players in Division I.

That number isn't entirely surprising. According to figures compiled by Sports Illustrated, between 2007 and 2012, transfer rates in Division I men's basketball ticked up 1.1 percent, from 10.8 percent in 2007-08 to 11.9 percent in 2011-12.

There's no exact science to determine whether Hinson's "greener grass" statement is correct either.

SI's analysis calls it "up-transferring" — moving from a smaller program to a larger one, in terms of stature (Evan Gordon moving from Liberty to Arizona State to Indiana qualified as two cases of "up-transferring" in the SI piece). Their analysis showed that the number of "up-transfers" jumped from 12 in 2011-12 to 30 the following season.

The NCAA's own research into transfers after the 2012-13 season suggests that "90 percent" of transfers in that class said they moved for "athletic reasons." It also asserts that, of the 44 percent that transferred from one D-I school to another, most moved "to a less competitive program where playing time might be more available."

Jeff Goodman's 2014 Transfer List

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10702122/tracking-every-transfer-2014-offseason-college-basketball

jbcarol

Jeff Goodman ‏@GoodmanESPN  May 2
Maryland's Seth Allen told ESPN that he plans to transfer...

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  45m
Kevin Punter on scheduled meeting with Missouri: "If I do meet with him (Anderson) it will be tomorrow. You could say it's 50-50 right now."

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  37m
If I could predict where players will sign, I'd live in Vegas. That said, Punter seems high on #Vols. Says he'll announce on Twitter: @_KP5

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

LSU PG Anthony Hickey, Jr. could appeal to the NCAA for a "run-off" waiver that would allow him to play immediately elsewhere.

QuoteAnthony Hickey Sr., the guard's father, told The Advocate that his son was informed last week that the program does not intend to renew his scholarship. The rising senior had his run-ins with coach Johnny Jones in the past two seasons, largely over missed classes and study hall periods.

Ron Higgins: While Hickey led the SEC in assists to turnover ratio, he may not have liked the fact his playing time was about to be cut with the signing of incoming backcourt talent Josh Gray and Keith Hornsby. Gray and Hornsby are bigger, physical guards, something that LSU lacked last year when larger opposing guards would shove aside smaller Tiger guards, break down LSU's defense and force Tigers' big men to have to constantly defend the rim.

jbcarol

Ben Frederickson @Ben_Fred  ·  15h

Winfred Jordan, AAU coach of Ga Tech transfer Robert Carter Jr., said Tyndall spoke w/ Carter today. #Vols hoping to get one of his 5 visits

UGa has been blocked by GaTech.

The 6-8 Carter averaged 11.4 and 8.4 in under 27 mpg for GaTech. He is a rising junior.

jbcarol

Mississippi State announced in a release on Friday that redshirt freshman guard Jacoby Davis intends to transfer to be closer to his home in Charlotte.

Davis' mother, Michelle, has been diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis and Davis wants to be closer to her.

QuoteThe 6-foot-1 guard was head coach Rick Ray's first recruit at Mississippi State and missed his freshman season after tearing his ACL during individual workouts. Davis returned to the floor this season as a reserve and averaged 2.2 points and 1.2 rebounds per game in 28 games for the Bulldogs.

State finished 14-19 and placed last in the SEC with a 3-15 record in 2013-14. Junior Trivante Bloodman and freshman and Little Rock native I.J. Ready are both slated to return and should carry the bulk of the ball handling responsibilities...

jbcarol

Jeff Ermann ‏@insidemdsports 17h
Hearing Terps PG transfer Roddy Peters is down to USF, Rhode Island, #Vols and #Ducks...

jbcarol

Reports that lead guard KC Ross-Miller, a former LSU signee and Billy Gillispie commit at Kentucky is transferring to play for Bruce Pearl at Auburn.

He played for Tim Miller at God's Academy in Dallas and AAU for Brandon Bass Elite.

KC is expected to graduate from NewMexSt this summer allowing him to help Pearl immediately.

KC Ross-Miller @KCRossMiller12
Excited to be apart of #AUBasketball. Ready to make that next step with my team. Our best is yet to come #WarEagle #SECbound
11:13 PM - 19 May 2014

jbcarol

Michael Carvell @RecruitingAJC  ·  53m
Phil Cofer signed non-binding aid w/ FSU. He's technically still a free agent. Will only be officially FSU's on 1st day he attends class

Former Vol signee whose father played football at UT.

jbcarol