Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is the wrong way to do it

Started by Biggus Piggus, July 29, 2016, 08:33:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Ebolin

Though, to be fair, he's a different type of player, too.
Arkansas News Bureau's Hogs beat writer
Formerly of ESPN and AP
A Native, Cornell kid and lover of hockey

Swinesong1

Quote from: Ebolin on July 30, 2016, 06:55:21 pm
Six to one.

What do you consider Keaton Miles? An OK player or terrible? I ask not because I have him either way, but Cook isn't yet as good as Keaton Miles.
So it went from a sources to 7 people?  You have 7 people close to the program confiding in you?  Props!!!!!!

Swinesong1

Six to one.

What do you consider Keaton Miles? An OK player or terrible? I ask not because I have him either way, but Cook isn't yet as good as Keaton Miles.
Except you've already said Cook is already a better option than Miles.

Ebolin

Quote from: Swinesong1 on July 30, 2016, 07:04:11 pm
Except you've already said Cook is already a better option than Miles.

Sigh. This is the last time.

The sentence reads: "Cook is a better option than Miles from a potential standpoint alone."

What that sentence means: "Cook is only a better option than Miles because his potential to be a better player."

Keaton Miles, bless him, maxed out his ability and had some big moments as a senior. Arlando Cook, if he blossoms, will be a better player than Keaton Miles. He currently is not.
Formerly of ESPN and AP

ricepig

Quote from: Swinesong1 on July 30, 2016, 06:58:35 pm
So it went from a sources to 7 people?  You have 7 people close to the program confiding in you?  Props!!!!!!

How many peeps have been watching practice?

Ebolin

Formerly of ESPN and AP

Ebolin

Formerly of ESPN and AP

hogwood

Quote from: Ebolin on July 30, 2016, 02:17:59 pm
Literally that's my job. Publish things so the public knows about them and can build an opinion. I can't think of a more fundamental definition for a journalist.

So your job is to insert premature opinions into the Arkansas media which damage the image of players who have not even played a single game? Also your material suggests that there are people "close to the program" that don't think he will end up being a sufficient player, and some who think he will. This also produces the image that there is a divide, or some kind of disagreement between staff, or between staff and Cook. Not a good image to conjure up to the public when there is in fact very little to base it on. Just poor journalism, creating drama out of thin air which shouldn't be there in the first place.

Ebolin

What drama? The people who told me those things don't think it's dramatic at all. No one said "He sucks and I hate him." They said they're not sure he's ever going to get more than six minutes a game.

Not sure how that's my fault. Like, wouldn't you want to know a player's chances of playing?
Formerly of ESPN and AP

VirginiaHog

Wow Eric. I feel for you man. You write a story, and people just start bashing. While i would have worded it maybe a little different, you reported what you found out. I love how people will dog you for a "negative" post. And then they also get upset when media "sunshine pumps".
I am an out of state guy and dont know Eric from any one else, but i appreciate seeing a different opinion. And i do not feel it bashed Cook. I am glad to see the various reports. Thanks Eric, jimmy, and others. :razorback:

rzrbackramsfan

Six to one.

All other parts of their game aside, whoever is the better rebounder and defender between those two is the better player.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: Ebolin on July 30, 2016, 11:26:53 pm
What drama? The people who told me those things don't think it's dramatic at all. No one said "He sucks and I hate him." They said they're not sure he's ever going to get more than six minutes a game.

Not sure how that's my fault. Like, wouldn't you want to know a player's chances of playing?

Is like a kouassi 2.0?

FineAsSwine

Quote from: ricepig on July 30, 2016, 05:13:47 pm
Well, I was walking by the practice center and some guy stopped and asked me what I thought of Cook, I responded, "who"?

Is this your way of saying that you don't have much interest in the team?

ricepig

Quote from: FineAsSwine on July 31, 2016, 01:25:42 am
Is this your way of saying that you don't have much interest in the team?

Uh, no...it was saying I could be one of the sources, as far as you know...

Ebolin

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on July 31, 2016, 01:19:29 am
Is like a kouassi 2.0?

Right now, yep. But only in their prospects of contribution, not in their 'game' or style.
Formerly of ESPN and AP

Swinesong1

Since you have at least 7 people who are close to the program confiding in you, can we talk recruiting?   Whom do they feel will be the next commit?   I've moved on from Cook's career evaluation.

BPsTheMan

Quote from: Ebolin on July 30, 2016, 10:40:37 pm
Which sentence was "attacking?"

you never explained this from last year - bashing Dusty Hannah and Drew Morgan for no reason at all

but your media buddies on Twitter defended you, and some of them are UA hating trolls like you, so...

would you consider seeking out counselling?

Ebolin

Quote from: Swinesong1 on July 31, 2016, 06:27:32 am
Since you have at least 7 people who are close to the program confiding in you, can we talk recruiting?   Whom do they feel will be the next commit?   I've moved on from Cook's career evaluation.

I despise recruiting and don't cover it as a function of my employ.
Formerly of ESPN and AP

BPsTheMan

ricepig

Let's see, there is Mike, Scottie, Melvin, TJ, Zimmerman, Kiko, and Lee, who else would you want???

FineAsSwine

Quote from: ricepig on July 31, 2016, 09:02:55 am
Let's see, there is Mike, Scottie, Melvin, TJ, Zimmerman, Kiko, and Lee, who else would you want???

None of those guys would have said that about Cook

FineAsSwine

With so many "close" connections he should be the only news source needed for inside info on the ball team.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on July 31, 2016, 07:40:18 am
you never explained this from last year - bashing Dusty Hannah and Drew Morgan for no reason at all

but your media buddies on Twitter defended you, and some of them are UA hating trolls like you, so...

would you consider seeking out counselling?

Oops.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: ricepig on July 31, 2016, 04:56:57 am
Uh, no...it was saying I could be one of the sources, as far as you know...

Ok, are you?

PonderinHog

I figured Jimmy Carter would be a Georgia fan.  Glad to have him in the Hogs camp!   :razorback:

ricepig

ricepig

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 31, 2016, 09:51:00 am
I figured Jimmy Carter would be a Georgia fan.  Glad to have him in the Hogs camp!   :razorback:

He's aged well

ricepig

Swinesong1

Quote from: Ebolin on July 31, 2016, 08:31:19 am
I despise recruiting and don't cover it as a function of my employ.
So your seven, at least, sources close to the program never mention recruiting to you?

FineAsSwine

I'm surprised that he was only able to get 7 people "close to the program" to talk to him. That means that there are 80,000 plus people living in Fayetteville who wouldn't tell him anything.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Ebolin on July 31, 2016, 10:31:52 am
Your jealousy is showing.

Actually, it's your thin skin that's showing by the petty PM you sent that I just cut and pasted. Aren't you and Robert supposed to be at a writer's workshop on journalism ethics 101 or something?

Ebolin

And yet I continue to send them without response. People like yourself would rather show out in hopes of impressing someone than man-up in real life with a real name. Color me shocked.

Cut and paste the other one, too. You and I both know you will.
Formerly of ESPN and AP

Ebolin

But to answer your question, no. I'm at the park, running sprints and playing with my kid. Happy to send you the address.
Formerly of ESPN and AP

DenaoStyle

Quote from: Ebolin on July 30, 2016, 10:06:38 am
I started this account to share info, but it's been clear most people wanna bag. That's fine. Disappointing. But fine.

Cook sentence says "depending who you ask." As in, I've asked people close to the program and they say he's terrible. Like outright no chance. And I've asked people close to the program who say he might be OK. No one has him pegged as a star.

And if you think Thompson has any significant offensive game, something that will show up greater than six points a game, I can't help you. He's a good player for his role and that might be enough.

Jimmy's work is bloody excellent. It's also a totally different piece than what I'm writing. Read both. Or read just his. They're different for a reason.

Appreciate everyone who takes the time to read or engage. Peace. Thanks for reading, everyone.

bloody excellent?  What are you, british?  And don't call me an arse for asking

thebignasty

Fights happen at the Alma sonic. That's Hogville  etiquette.

Ebolin

Quote from: thebignasty on July 31, 2016, 12:12:08 pm
Fights happen at the Alma sonic. That's Hogville  etiquette.

I used to go there all the time and never saw one, unfortunately.

Quote from: DenaoStyle on July 31, 2016, 12:11:33 pm
bloody excellent?  What are you, british?  And don't call me an arse for asking

I'm Cherokee and Anglo-mutt. From Stilwell. Although I'm oft-called a "Yankee."
Formerly of ESPN and AP

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Ebolin on July 30, 2016, 06:36:11 pm
That could be where you and I are mixing up. Five-on-five has nothing to do with what I wrote. Again: Jimmy wrote the practice stories. I wrote the overview.

Jimmy did not write mere practice stories. They are filled with analysis of skills, strengths/weaknesses, projections, and a great sense of proportion. As in: Here's what this is worth, and it's limited.
[CENSORED]!