Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

This is the wrong way to do it

Started by Biggus Piggus, July 29, 2016, 08:33:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

http://goo.gl/XBzYjI

Eric Bolin (typical) all but writes off Arlando Cook before the first semester. On what? "Buzz."

This whole piece lacks intelligible details and analysis. If you want to read smart practice reports, go look at what Jimmy Carter has written for WHS.com. That is the way to do it. Not this vacuous drivel.

Sorry, Bolin, but you are not qualified to dump on Arlando Cook based on hearsay. You did not even provide a SINGLE PIECE OF CRITICAL ANALYSIS. Just that he was somehow having trouble adjusting.

How many offseason workouts have you ever watched? Have you ever tried to draw a correlation between summer pickup games and practices to future performance? Have you ever met anyone who was successful at doing that?

The problem is your constant leaping to wild conclusions based on your horseshit opinions alone. You put unsupportable crap into print. Your standards for reasoning and accuracy are ridiculously low. Some of us really would like to see you try to write only what you REALLY KNOW and leave out the shitburgers.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

[CENSORED]!

hogwood

Literally all he said was that he was "having a difficult time adjusting" and that's it. He did not write him off at all. The very next sentence he says "It is only July, though, and there is upside...". Definitely not writing him off, just an observation that he is adjusting still but has potential.

Overall I thought it was a good and fair write-up for all the players, though Jimmy's are much better.

Biggus Piggus

"The hope is Cook will be able to take some of the load off Thompson and provide Anderson with another tall body in the post. Depending on who you ask, that might not happen."

That's a crappy thing to write about a player who just got here and is in his first offseason without having played in a single regular season practice yet. The only person you might ask for that opinion would be someone who is full of darn.
[CENSORED]!

Dwight_K_Shrute

I do agree that the negative crap is a bit much after one or two practices in July. 

The better analysis might be mid way through the season when you know you have actual results and could say.  "The hope was Cook would be able to take some of the load off.....that has not happened yet"

But then again there is a reason I call him Eric Trollin.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

thebignasty

Just what he learned at Cornell guys.

jry04

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 29, 2016, 08:33:05 am
http://goo.gl/XBzYjI

Eric Bolin (typical) all but writes off Arlando Cook before the first semester. On what? "Buzz."

This whole piece lacks intelligible details and analysis. If you want to read smart practice reports, go look at what Jimmy Carter has written for WHS.com. That is the way to do it. Not this vacuous drivel.

Sorry, Bolin, but you are not qualified to dump on Arlando Cook based on hearsay. You did not even provide a SINGLE PIECE OF CRITICAL ANALYSIS. Just that he was somehow having trouble adjusting.

How many offseason workouts have you ever watched? Have you ever tried to draw a correlation between summer pickup games and practices to future performance? Have you ever met anyone who was successful at doing that?

The problem is your constant leaping to wild conclusions based on your horseshit opinions alone. You put unsupportable crap into print. Your standards for reasoning and accuracy are ridiculously low. Some of us really would like to see you try to write only what you REALLY KNOW and leave out the shitburgers.
He doesn't even mention Thompson's strength, which is his passing. He just mentions how limited of a player he is, despite Carter showing video evidence of Thompson's improved jumper and mentions him making quite a few and looking comfortable shooting it.

Also, Bailey is closer to 6'7" than he is 6'5". He is closer to being a SF/PF than he is a SG/SF, although his game is similar to what Michael Qualls was able to bring.

Carter did his homework and spoke with players. I mean he talked to Hazen about how he has added weight and is over 200lbs now, but Bolin just pulls up the roster and puts 195lbs on there because he doesn't do the research and gather information himself. Just throws what is listed on the website with what is probably weight from a month ago when they first arrived to campus.

ShadowHawg

Cook himself admits he is in a period of adjustment both on the court and off it. He hardly sounded discouraged in the interview I saw though. There is going to be a lot of competition for minutes at the 4 spot. It seems like there are so many different skill sets available at the 2-5 spots on the floor that everyone will get their chance before the final rotations set in.

I don't see why this guy has to act like such a jerk about the fact that a guy who is a good player could possibly end up outside the rotation, which I have yet to hear as actually happening. People are very impressed with Thomas at this point, including Cook, but even though Hazen and Bailey show a lot of promise they are still very raw. Cook is hardly out of the picture.

Big Nasty 34

His biggest indictment was with Thompson saying he was limited offensively. He's one of our best passers and has a great mid range shot that can be seen in videos posted this week.

hogwood

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 29, 2016, 08:43:41 am
"The hope is Cook will be able to take some of the load off Thompson and provide Anderson with another tall body in the post. Depending on who you ask, that might not happen."

That's a crappy thing to write about a player who just got here and is in his first offseason without having played in a single regular season practice yet. The only person you might ask for that opinion would be someone who is full of darn.

Somehow that didn't stand out to me the first time. Now that you've quoted it, that was very rude. Definitely not good to have this kind of stuff in the Arkansas media.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Big Nasty 34 on July 29, 2016, 10:33:09 am
His biggest indictment was with Thompson saying he was limited offensively. He's one of our best passers and has a great mid range shot that can be seen in videos posted this week.

This is inconsistent with what Carter has been reporting, too. But Carter's putting more effort (and skill) into his work.
[CENSORED]!

Biggus Piggus

Bolin badly needs an editor to teach him how to write. He writes like a Woopig poster not a writer.
[CENSORED]!

rzrbackramsfan

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on July 29, 2016, 12:50:05 pm
I kinda liked it. 

Go read Carter's stuff and then tell me what you think.
[CENSORED]!

Jborohog09

Is this the same jabroni who last summer wrote a bunch of crap about Ricky Town?

PonderinHog

Quote from: Jborohog09 on July 29, 2016, 01:35:11 pm
Is this the same jabroni who last summer wrote a bunch of crap about Ricky Town?
Yes.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 29, 2016, 08:37:31 am
http://www.wholehogsports.com/news/2016/jul/28/razorback-thursday-practice-observations/

Jimmy Carter's vastly superior work from yesterday's practice.

Is it vastly superior journalism or because it aligns with your preconceived ideas of what you hope is Cook's skills and brings to the team?  Sorry Biggus but I love to hear all the scoop and not just what I want to hear.  I am waiting and listening to all about Cook hoping he will not live up to what I have heard about him.  I have heard some basketball junkies like myself  tell me after watching Cook a couple times while at Connors JUCO tell me he would have a hard time fitting his game into the SEC.  He is 6'8 maybe but thin, not real physical and even though he was a good rebounder in JUCO where 6'8 is very tall he will have a hard time getting those same rebounds in the SEC because his competition will be much more athletic, bigger and stronger. 

They also told me he likes to float outside to much so scoring might get tough for him in the SEC unless he develops better range on his jumper or some back to basket moves. 

Lets see how it plays out but lets all opinions be heard.

nwahogfan1

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 29, 2016, 01:43:18 pm
Yes.
Quote from: Biggus Piggus on July 29, 2016, 12:50:37 pm
Go read Carter's stuff and then tell me what you think.

I like both.  dont have to agree with either but like to read both.

ricepig

Quote from: Jborohog09 on July 29, 2016, 01:35:11 pm

Quote from: thebignasty on July 29, 2016, 09:32:15 am
Just what he learned at Cornell guys.
Tahlequah

Swinesong1

Positive or negative, how can anyone project after what was that, the first 5 on 5 practice?  I prefer to read for info and not take either side as gospel or an "expert" opinion.  I've watched players in the past and wondered  how in the world someone sees the same player and have polar opposite evals. 

thebignasty

PonderinHog

Quote from: thebignasty on July 30, 2016, 09:35:00 am
Yeah, the Tahlequah satellite Cornell campus.
I hear their Jellystone Park hospitality degree is second to none.

Ebolin

July 30, 2016, 10:06:38 am #22 Last Edit: July 30, 2016, 10:22:10 am by Ebolin
I started this account to share info, but it's been clear most people wanna bag. That's fine. Disappointing. But fine.

Cook sentence says "depending who you ask." As in, I've asked people close to the program and they say he's terrible. Like outright no chance. And I've asked people close to the program who say he might be OK. No one has him pegged as a star.

And if you think Thompson has any significant offensive game, something that will show up greater than six points a game, I can't help you. He's a good player for his role and that might be enough.

Jimmy's work is bloody excellent. It's also a totally different piece than what I'm writing. Read both. Or read just his. They're different for a reason.

Appreciate everyone who takes the time to read or engage. Peace. Thanks for reading, everyone.
Arkansas News Bureau's Hogs beat writer
Formerly of ESPN and AP
A Native, Cornell kid and lover of hockey

Swinesong1

Quote from: Ebolin on July 30, 2016, 10:06:38 am
I started this account to share info, but it's been clear most people wanna bag. That's fine. Disappointing. But fine.

Cook sentence says "depending who you ask." As in, I've asked people close to the program and they say he's terrible. Like outright no chance. And I've asked people close to the program who say he might be OK. No one has him pegged as a star.

And if you think Thompson has any significant offensive game, something that will show up greater than six points a game, I can't help you. He's a good player for his role and that might be enough.

Jimmy's work is bloody excellent. It's also a totally different piece than what I'm writing. Read both. Or read just his. They're different for a reason.

Appreciate everyone who takes the time to read or engage. Peace. Thanks for reading, everyone.
After how many practices?  People "close to the program" are saying he's terrible and ok? 

hogwood

Quote from: Ebolin on July 30, 2016, 10:06:38 am

It is just poor taste to say that about a kid this early and then publish it for all to see. These kids read this stuff and how the media portrays our players and team matters. No one wants to come play for a team if the media around the team is going to publicly discredit players before they even play a game. It is hard enough to recruit here and we don't need the media downplaying these kids. Why couldn't you have said "Cook has potential but it is yet to be seen as he is still adjusting." You don't have to allude that he might not ever be able to be a sufficient backup forward. That's uncalled for.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogwood on July 30, 2016, 10:52:03 am
It is just poor taste to say that about a kid this early and then publish it for all to see. These kids read this stuff and how the media portrays our players and team matters. No one wants to come play for a team if the media around the team is going to publicly discredit players before they even play a game. It is hard enough to recruit here and we don't need the media downplaying these kids. Why couldn't you have said "Cook has potential but it is yet to be seen as he is still adjusting." You don't have to allude that he might not ever be able to be a sufficient backup forward. That's uncalled for.

He just wrote what people told him. You should be attacking those people, not him.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Swinesong1

Quote from: GuvHog on July 30, 2016, 11:07:16 am
He just wrote what people told him. You should be attacking those people, not him.
Downside to open practices.  Now, everyone is "close to the program".  Lol

rzrbackramsfan

I remember when I watched the first Arlando Cook highlight video that came out, I was underwhelmed.  I can understand why people think that.  But with his build and instinct for the ball, he should turn into a good rebounder and apparently he's a big time hustler.  I think his offensive game will develop too. 

poloprince

Regardles of one's opinion Cook is an upgrade to the position from last years roster.  :razorback:
$PoLoPrInCe$

hogwood

Quote from: GuvHog on July 30, 2016, 11:07:16 am

People can tell him what they want, but publishing so that it affects public opinion is another thing.

Dr. Starcs

So, care to tell us who close to the program thinks he has no chance of being a good player?

Didnt think so.

Ebolin

Quote from: hogwood on July 30, 2016, 01:28:36 pm
People can tell him what they want, but publishing so that it affects public opinion is another thing.

Literally that's my job. Publish things so the public knows about them and can build an opinion. I can't think of a more fundamental definition for a journalist.

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 30, 2016, 01:34:20 pm
So, care to tell us who close to the program thinks he has no chance of being a good player?

Didnt think so.

Zero chance and no self-respecting reporter would if the source asked them not to divulge.

Quote from: poloprince on July 30, 2016, 12:27:47 pm
Regardles of one's opinion Cook is an upgrade to the position from last years roster.  :razorback:

Bingo. Cook is a better option than Miles from a potential standpoint alone. At the very worst, even if Cook isn't superior, Dustin Thomas is and Thompson is probably improved from last year, too.

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on July 30, 2016, 12:03:13 pm
I remember when I watched the first Arlando Cook highlight video that came out, I was underwhelmed.  I can understand why people think that.  But with his build and instinct for the ball, he should turn into a good rebounder and apparently he's a big time hustler.  I think his offensive game will develop too. 

He could be a 7 and 5 guy next year if things work out. Not shabby at all.
Formerly of ESPN and AP

PonderinHog

Quote from: Ebolin on July 30, 2016, 02:17:59 pm

If you're so proud of your work, why don't you post it here?  Or does Hogville's policy forbidding player bashing preclude you from doing that?

Ebolin

Quote from: PonderinHog on July 30, 2016, 02:58:14 pm
If you're so proud of your work, why don't you post it here?  Or does Hogville's policy forbidding player bashing preclude you from doing that?

I do sometimes. Look around. I tend not to hang out here much, however. I have found the welcome less than welcoming, despite my openness. Sort of like your passive-aggressive, and wholly unnecessary snide remark.
Formerly of ESPN and AP

PonderinHog

Quote from: Ebolin on July 30, 2016, 03:01:15 pm
I do sometimes. Look around. I tend not to hang out here much, however. I have found the welcome less than welcoming, despite my openness. Sort of like your passive-aggressive, and wholly unnecessary snide remark.
Click bait.

BPsTheMan

Jimmy Carter is a sportwriter now and his work is bloody excellent?

Well it's about time he did something right after the 11 percent unemployment he left in his wake!! And Iran hostages!!

>:(

Big Nasty 34

Cook will hopefully be a delvon Johnson year 2 JUCO success type guy. Probably won't do a lot this year but hopefully will be really solid next year.

Dr. Starcs

"Cook sentence says "depending who you ask." As in, I've asked people close to the program and they say he's terrible. Like outright no chance. And I've asked people close to the program who say he might be OK. No one has him pegged as a star."

Wouldn't it be more fair to give us actual numbers as to who believes what?  That could be 2, 10 or 100 people. How are we supposed to have any kind of accurate viewpoint with what you stated? 

The fact that you stated that nobody wanted to be on the record leads me to believe you only have a handful (less than 5) of sources on this particular issue at best.

I could be totally wrong, I understand. But why not be as specific as you can since you can't name sources? 

Just my two cents. And I do appreciate any info I can get.

ShadowHawg

Sources close to the program also said that Cook was our best low post scorer during the pick up games. That's what "sources close to the program" are really worth.

Which is it?

Ebolin

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 30, 2016, 04:17:39 pm
"Cook sentence says "depending who you ask." As in, I've asked people close to the program and they say he's terrible. Like outright no chance. And I've asked people close to the program who say he might be OK. No one has him pegged as a star."

Wouldn't it be more fair to give us actual numbers as to who believes what?  That could be 2, 10 or 100 people. How are we supposed to have any kind of accurate viewpoint with what you stated? 

The fact that you stated that nobody wanted to be on the record leads me to believe you only have a handful (less than 5) of sources on this particular issue at best.

I could be totally wrong, I understand. But why not be as specific as you can since you can't name sources? 

What exactly do you want to know? It isn't a practice report; it's a broad overview. Jimmy's are the practice reports. They're totally different stories. I'm not going to say "Cook made three of four baskets during 3-on-2 drills" because I'm not writing that story (and I also think that's moot).
Formerly of ESPN and AP

Ebolin

Quote from: ShadowHawg on July 30, 2016, 04:24:27 pm
Sources close to the program also said that Cook was our best low post scorer during the pick up games. That's what "sources close to the program" are really worth.

Which is it?

He is absolutely the best low-post scorer around right now.

That should tel you something about the options there right now. Thomas is a jump-shooter.
Formerly of ESPN and AP

ricepig

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on July 30, 2016, 04:17:39 pm

Well, I was walking by the practice center and some guy stopped and asked me what I thought of Cook, I responded, "who"?

Eric, I thought you understood what you were dealing with by posting on here. Some will appreciate it, most will tear you a new one, lol.

trashcan maN

I love me a well-written piece that ends in the word shitburgers.

Swinesong1

I'd still like to know how as a "journalist" you would dare quote a source "close to the program" after seeing a player practice MAYBE two times?  Because that's the most they could have seen Cook go 5 on 5 at the time of your article.

Ebolin

Quote from: Swinesong1 on July 30, 2016, 06:14:47 pm
I'd still like to know how as a "journalist" you would dare quote a source "close to the program" after seeing a player practice MAYBE two times?  Because that's the most they could have seen Cook go 5 on 5 at the time of your article.

That could be where you and I are mixing up. Five-on-five has nothing to do with what I wrote. Again: Jimmy wrote the practice stories. I wrote the overview.
Formerly of ESPN and AP

Swinesong1

Quote from: Ebolin on July 30, 2016, 06:36:11 pm
That could be where you and I are mixing up. Five-on-five has nothing to do with what I wrote. Again: Jimmy wrote the practice stories. I wrote the overview.
That's my point.  How can you take anyone seriously enough to quote in an article who hasn't seen a kid play in an atmosphere remotely simulating game type situations?

Ebolin

Quote from: Swinesong1 on July 30, 2016, 06:41:32 pm
That's my point.  How can you take anyone seriously enough to quote in an article who hasn't seen a kid play in an atmosphere remotely simulating game type situations?

Um. Well, it's people who would know.
Formerly of ESPN and AP

Swinesong1

Dr. Starcs

How many people? 

That's what I asked earlier. How many say he has no chance of being a good player vs how many say he may be ok?

Ebolin

Six to one.

What do you consider Keaton Miles? An OK player or terrible? I ask not because I have him either way, but Cook isn't yet as good as Keaton Miles.
Formerly of ESPN and AP