Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How bout a "cool flying pics" thread....

Started by fdx flyer, October 04, 2011, 06:06:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GusMcRae

As I continue to catch up on posting flying pics, here are some warbirds being rebuilt at BKD when I got my autopilot worked on. 

[attachment deleted by admin]
It ain't dieing I'm talking about Woodrow,,,, It's living!

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

GusMcRae

Took my bro and nephew up NE of Tulsa Friday.  Landed at KMIO, there was snow on the East 1/3 of the full length of the runway, but was not a factor in landing, as well as the ramp.  Had to dig the tiedowns out of the snow.  Melted off during the day so my plane was sitting in water when we got ready to leave.
Awesome tailwind going.  Once we leveled off I don't think we got under 160 kts.  1 hour and 40 min trip up. 
But as we all know,,,, the headwind coming back was brutal.  Started out at 6500' MSL and we were barely over 70kts.  Climbed to 8500 and finally eeked out about 93 kts.  3 hour and 15 min trip home. 
I have some more pics of the trip I will post later.  Night pics coming home of Tulsa and OKC. 

Being a pilot isn't all seat-of-the-pants flying and glory. It's self- discipline, practice, study, analysis and preparation. It's precision. If you can't keep the gauges where you want them with everything free and easy, how can you keep them there when everything goes wrong?

gotyacovered

catching up the last few months...

this has zero significance other than the fact its my first flight with a go pro - Christmas present from the wife!

i snapped this pic with my iPhone, my son and i got grounded and drove instead of flew and we saw this cloud just outside of the airport.

i flew over to DFW one day for work and saw this sunset develop. i took a picture from the air, but it didnt turn out. then i meant to take a pic with my airplane in the foreground, forgot. i did remember when i got home, though. it was a beautiful flight, humbling to spectate.

You are what you tolerate.

gotyacovered

This is the 206 that I can't get a partnership going on... I think to make me jealous they decided to hangar at M18 for a couple weeks.

gotyacovered

gotyacovered

gotyacovered

Flying Razorback

Quote from: gotyacovered on March 11, 2014, 08:37:00 am
caption this:

storry found here: http://www.myfoxtampabay.com/story/24923080/2014/03/08/plane-collides-into-skydivers-parachute-mid-air

"****!!!!!!"

I read somewhere the pilot was 87 years old.  Glad he came out without major injuries and the same with the younger skydiver.

It makes one wonder how that happened.  The pilot was on his 3rd touch and go, did he not know that jumpers were coming down on the field?  Wouldn't there have been some sort of NOTAM or at least advisory at the FBO that jumpers would be landing on the field that day?  And for him to be on his 3rd touch and go I'd assume he should have seen them coming down in to and through the traffic pattern.
Satchel Paige said, "Don't look back, something might be gaining on you..."

gotyacovered

here is my app/landing into Raton a couple weeks ago, dropbox link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/jqn6j64jd3w9ks4/KRTN%20App%20Landing%20with%20music.mp4

few notes... i was descending out of 9.5 (long story), i believe when the video starts i am just passing through 9 at around 300ft/min. the tallest peak (off the left wing) was 8818MSL. each year i have flown around the rapidly rising terrain. this year i pre-routed myself thru laughlin peak and one of the smaller peaks to the south, thought it would be fun and pretty--good pics. the winds were significant, i had a tiny tail wind but winds aloft were forecasting 170 35kts+... they were at least that. as i approached laughlin peak i was getting some minor downdrafts/updrafts... enough that i was having problems maintaining +/-100ft of my 300ft/min decent rate, so i ended up going north instead of in between the peaks as i originally routed. you can see in the video about the :05 mark i made my decision. i was on with Albuquerque Center and they didnt like my proximity to the terra firma. he mentioned it roughly 8 times in the last 60 miles.

flightaware track KCWC - KRTN: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N42653/history/20140219/1300Z/KCWC/KRTN

Couple notes... Raton Muni 6352'MSL. I departed KCWC heavy. I started with 84gals and landed with about 1/2 that... burnt approx 250lbs. with all the family's crap we were at least 150lbs under gross, point is that you can see in the video how much faster I was coming over the numbers than you normally would be in a 182. I obviously wasn't staring at the airspeed indicator, but I estimate the stall horn started chirping at me about 5kts higher than normal.

Flightaware track KRTN - M18: http://flightaware.com/live/flight/N42653/history/20140223/1630Z/R%20FTI%2013%2074/M18

As you can see I climbed up to 12.5 for the trip back, with about 40min left I had to divert south and decend to 4.5 to get below multiplelayers of ovc/bkn cloud cover from 9700-6000. that was painful to do, we were making great time and had a decent tail wind sipping about 11.2gph. The only thing more painful that that was climbing to 12.5 outta KRTN, not only was I heavy again at about 2500agl there was a huge tailwind directly on my tail making the plane sloppy to fly. I got about 450ft/min thru 8000-8500msl and by the time I was at approaching 12.5 it was 200ft/min. it took a good 15-16mins to get to cruise.

Lessons learned:
-last 2 years I calculated my % of power for the estimated DA that I would have departing red river and simulated it a few times, just to see how it felt. I wish I would have done it again this year. also, i found this article, its great. put it in my foreflight docs for future ref. great for flatlanders. http://csobeech.com/files/APS-TargetEGT.pps
-glad I didn't go to Taos like I was thinking about doing. KRTN is just to easy, especially since I am a flat lander.
-trust your gut. Tested that twice, once by going around instead of thru the peaks; and once on the way back. Wx looked fine to stay on top since it was 4500+sct at KTXK, but decided to get below the deck, turns out it was wise. I PROBABLY could have maintained VFR in my decent to M18, but it would have been eventful. Hated to add 20 mins to my trip, but it is what it is.
-need to practice cold starting procedures. 653 is a cold blooded ole ho;D
-don't let gopro sit to high.... it it rattled against the window several times.
-let xmwx load all the way before departing. It was CAVU enroute to KRTN, so it wasn't stressful, but had the wx been questionable I woulda been stressed to the max. It took it at least 27-28 min to load the wx. It was really nice to have the ipad with the Dual XGPS as a back up while I re-booted the 696.
-a cessna 182 is an amazing airplane. Not the fastest, not the sexiest, but it is a true SUV of the sky. Cant wait to give her some more HP;D

GusMcRae

Finally watched the KRTN landing video.  Cool music as well as the fast forward editing and such.  Nicely done! 

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on March 24, 2014, 09:03:18 am
Finally watched the KRTN landing video.  Cool music as well as the fast forward editing and such.  Nicely done! 

i wish i was brave enough to post my touch and goes with the gopro attached to the foot step on the pilot side landing gear. i am not 100% sure how legal/illegal it is so i am not posting a video of a potential FAR bust. ;D

Flying Razorback

Nice view of the shadow through the turn:

fdx flyer

Took an early morning Bonanza flight along the Mississippi a couple of weeks ago.  These are all near Helena.  The iPhone didn't handle the glare all that well, but still some pretty cool pics.

GusMcRae

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on April 05, 2014, 12:33:20 pm
Nice view of the shadow through the turn:

This is from the T1-A I'm guessing?

What aircraft do your students go on to fly after training?

gotyacovered

Flying Razorback

Quote from: GusMcRae on April 09, 2014, 09:39:10 am
This is from the T1-A I'm guessing?

What aircraft do your students go on to fly after training?

No that's from my C-130.  I left the T-1A 2 years ago this month.  We sent our students to all manner of heavy jets.  C-5, C-17, C-130H, C-130J, AC-130, MC-130, HC-130, EC-130, C-12, C-21, C-27J, RC-135, KC-135, KC-10, U-28, M-28, CV-22, Do-328, PC-12, and UAVs.

All had a very different set of missions and flying skills required so we had to instill a lot of airmanship and situational awareness in them to translate to wherever they ended up.

GusMcRae

Quote from: FlyingRzrbkAF on April 09, 2014, 07:49:11 pm

No that's from my C-130.  I left the T-1A 2 years ago this month.  We sent our students to all manner of heavy jets.  C-5, C-17, C-130H, C-130J, AC-130, MC-130, HC-130, EC-130, C-12, C-21, C-27J, RC-135, KC-135, KC-10, U-28, M-28, CV-22, Do-328, PC-12, and UAVs.

All had a very different set of missions and flying skills required so we had to instill a lot of airmanship and situational awareness in them to translate to wherever they ended up.

Very cool.
Thank you for your service Mr. FlyingRzrbkAF, Sir.. 
I appreciate what you do.

GusMcRae

Not in the air flying, but after I got my complex rating in this old Piper Arrow.
Couldn't remember if I had posted this or not.  I don't find it so here it is.

gotyacovered

Quote from: GusMcRae on May 20, 2014, 03:31:28 pm
Not in the air flying, but after I got my complex rating in this old Piper Arrow.
Couldn't remember if I had posted this or not.  I don't find it so here it is.

you didnt that i saw... when did this occur?

GusMcRae

Quote from: gotyacovered on May 20, 2014, 04:37:41 pm
you didnt that i saw... when did this occur?

Mid March.  I started a "2014 Aviation Goals" thread and posted it there, but no pic. 

GusMcRae

A few recent pics:
Easterwood, can barely see Kyle Field and Reed Arena in the background if you know what you're looking at.
A&M's private airport. Looks abandoned.
Lake Squaw Creek.
Blackhawks doing maneuvers at Brady.

GusMcRae

My apologies for my last post with upside down pics.  It always seems to do that when I post something from my iPad.

Look what is HQ'd at Curtis Field at Brady, Texas. 

Flying Razorback

Pistol Pete

July 07, 2014, 10:38:43 pm #274 Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 08:11:11 am by Pistol Pete

GusMcRae

Pistol Pete

July 09, 2014, 08:41:10 pm #276 Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 08:12:53 am by Pistol Pete
Darn iPad. I downloaded it to photobucket, but cant seem to get it to post. I'll try my company 'puter.

Update, seems to work now... it's the same link I used with my iPad, geez!

GusMcRae

Quote from: Pistol Pete on July 09, 2014, 08:41:10 pm
Darn iPad. I downloaded it to photobucket, but cant seem to get it to post. I'll try my company 'puter.

Update, seems to work now... it's the same link I used with my iPad, geez!

What city are we looking at? 

I've been wanting to check out fireworks from the air on the 4th or New Years one of the years. 

Pistol Pete

Quote from: GusMcRae on July 15, 2014, 11:08:01 am
What city are we looking at? 

I've been wanting to check out fireworks from the air on the 4th or New Years one of the years. 

That is downtown Little Rock. I circled around for 30 minutes along with 3 other airplanes and 2 helicopters. The heli's were very low, I was the highest at 3,000.
KLIT controllers kept our vertical spacing at 500' and reminded us often.

The neat thing... KLIT was very slow on commercial flights. They talked to me like I was in the room with them. They got very serious as other traffic got there, but were very cool about me circling directly over the airport.

Oh, the fireworks are much better from the ground. Of course, I didn't have to be so high, and lower was probably much better, but I can't stand flying low... Especially at night, I just can't stand the increased risk.

GusMcRae

Met a new guy at my airport that has this 1955 V-tail Bonanza, polished aluminum.
He said it has the E225 engine that he's working on a deal to replace it with a IO-520.  Sounded like an expensive project to me.

Shines up real nice. 

gotyacovered

September 22, 2014, 04:19:00 pm #280 Last Edit: September 22, 2014, 04:32:34 pm by gotyacovered
took a trip up to Clinton (KCCA) on sunday for a birthday party. ran a across the strangest (most beautiful) phenomena i have seen with clouds... this series of photo's was taken over Hot Springs... it was a few/scattered/broken layer that could not have been 2-3 miles wide (north/south) and ran as far as i could see east/west. it was crazy... very beautiful.

instagram version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/tebar7byunbhrwa/Photo%20Sep%2021%2C%2018%2059%2005%20%281%29.jpg?dl=0

no filter: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e5aimbaiofkkzp1/Photo%20Sep%2021%2C%2018%2059%2005.jpg?dl=0

instagram version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/97xqzxwazoabhiz/Photo%20Sep%2021%2C%2018%2057%2028%20%281%29.jpg?dl=0

no filter: https://www.dropbox.com/s/z1bs4086cw2rznp/Photo%20Sep%2021%2C%2018%2034%2016.jpg?dl=0

no filter: https://www.dropbox.com/s/f0mb8qceecd786t/Photo%20Sep%2021%2C%2018%2035%2006.jpg?dl=0

instagram version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dhi1xi8p6t0rl7j/Photo%20Sep%2021%2C%2018%2035%2004%20%281%29.jpg?dl=0

no filter: https://www.dropbox.com/s/sxuslx0b6lmfffz/Photo%20Sep%2021%2C%2018%2057%2028.jpg?dl=0

instagram version: https://www.dropbox.com/s/97xqzxwazoabhiz/Photo%20Sep%2021%2C%2018%2057%2028%20%281%29.jpg?dl=0

no filter: https://www.dropbox.com/s/lvowcx5c95yna0o/Photo%20Sep%2021%2C%2018%2034%2013.jpg?dl=0

GusMcRae

Look what was out at my home base yesterday,,,,  GIFT week going on this week,,, AOPA will probably do a little story on it. 

gotyacovered

All this fit!!! Best thing about a 182, if it fits it flys!!!

My Kansas beverage of choice

42lb bobcat

Gary Pattersons brother Greg made this...

Found this on the farm...

Southern Kansas from 11.5ft

Mt. Magazine

Cousin Scott's calves

GusMcRae

Now that looks like my kind of trip, right down to the flavor of beverage and that awesome looking breakfast sandwich!  Now I'm hungry,,,,

I wish I would have taken a pic of everyone and everything I hauled to South Texas 2 years ago,,,  but I think you may have me beat on that load right there.  From the looks of the weather, if you needed to drop some lbs you could have packed what you had in your Yeti's in a cardboard box and it would have kept, but maybe you needed the Yeti's to keep them from freezing solid. ; )

Great pics!

GusMcRae

Flew last Wed to pick up my son at BBD, and these 2 planes were in the big hangar for a brief layover I suppose, because they were gone when I went back to drop off my son yesterday.
P210 with a Rolls Royce Turbine,,, not something you see every day.  And the SR22 looks to be such a sweet ride.

gotyacovered

Cirri paint is on point. Almost all of them are really, really sweet.

Warbirdhog

Thought you guys might be interested in a short video I shot of our FM-2 Wildcats shotgun start. Original shotgun starting system,uses an approximate 4ga size shell and actually starts faster than an electric starter.

http://vidmg.photobucket.com/albums/1003/nuthouse/IMG_0271_zpsuklyyagj.mp4

bvillepig

Quote from: Warbirdhog on January 01, 2015, 09:40:56 am
Thought you guys might be interested in a short video I shot of our FM-2 Wildcats shotgun start. Original shotgun starting system,uses an approximate 4ga size shell and actually starts faster than an electric starter.

Nice.

I needed that yesterday.   I did not think I was going to get it started.

gotyacovered

Quote from: Warbirdhog on January 01, 2015, 09:40:56 am

ok, i am in the dark on this one... need some details. never heard of such... is it triggered (fired, whatever the right word may be) electronically?

(really cool, thanks for posting)

Warbirdhog

gotya, it's basically an inertia types starter. It is a Breeze Type 1 Cartridge Starter to be exact. The cartridge is set of electrically, the gas pressure follows a tube from the breech to the aft end of the starter causing the starter to spin and engage the engine. The starter has a built in relief valve set at 2900psi. When the cartridge is set off all that is heard is a quick 'whoosh' and the prop is going.
  Pre start is basically same as with any radial, pull the prop through 8-9 blades to clear the lower cylinders of oil, run the boost pump to prime and go. 
  Included a couple of pics to show the breech open and closed and a couple of the cartridge.

bvillepig

That's pretty impressive.  Is the breech pretty accessible ?

Do people pre load their own ?

Warbirdhog

Quote from: bvillepig on January 02, 2015, 05:01:41 pm
That's pretty impressive.  Is the breech pretty accessible ?

Do people pre load their own ?

The breech is just inside and forward in the right wheel opening on the engine mount. This is the only flying warbird with the Cartridge starter that came equipped with it. The cartridges we have are original Breeze made. We have about 7 unopened cans right now. The Wildcat has just had a deal made for it and it's going to a new owner up in Minnesota, pretty safe bet they will convert it to an electric starter like the rest of the ones flying.

gotyacovered

Quote from: Warbirdhog on January 02, 2015, 07:42:06 pm
The breech is just inside and forward in the right wheel opening on the engine mount. This is the only flying warbird with the Cartridge starter that came equipped with it. The cartridges we have are original Breeze made. We have about 7 unopened cans right now. The Wildcat has just had a deal made for it and it's going to a new owner up in Minnesota, pretty safe bet they will convert it to an electric starter like the rest of the ones flying.

would be cool to have both electric and cartridge starter.

thanks a ton for posting. that is a cool plane.

gotyacovered

flight back from Christmas from parents house... if you look closely you can see the "mountains" around hot springs poking thru the clouds/fog. took two pics, neither turned out very good, best one posted below. it was a pretty sight in person.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/skqtxdhj3tmg8n7/Photo%20Dec%2028%2C%2013%2057%2033.jpg?dl=0

gotyacovered

poor pic quality (taken thru the prop) but a beautiful sight to see none the less... on my way back from cabot, my son and i went and played golf with my dad and uncle...

Warbirdhog

Quote from: gotyacovered on January 19, 2015, 06:53:44 pm
poor pic quality (taken thru the prop) but a beautiful sight to see none the less... on my way back from cabot, my son and i went and played golf with my dad and uncle...

Cool pic, the atmospheric color transition off the clouds is neat.

gotyacovered

went to celebrate my moms bday a couple days ago and got back kinda late (10:30) and look who we ran into :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

wifes instagram:
http://instagram.com/p/ygYiN3vlEk/

GusMcRae

It's not any prettier inside the hood.  So glad to be done with that.  So many hours under the hood was getting really old.

Flying Razorback

Whew, that's tough.  That's why you need a Heads Up Display!  It kills me because you can never tell if people are watching their instruments or just looking through the HUD on a VFR day.

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: GusMcRae on March 18, 2015, 12:40:25 pm
It's not any prettier inside the hood.  So glad to be done with that.  So many hours under the hood was getting really old.
Ha! I have an instrument student that recently purchased these:

which I affectionately refer to as "Vader goggles." He has them on the entire phase of flight, from about 50 feet after take off until he breaks out...3 missed approaches later.  ;)
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung