Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Basic takeaway

Started by TheSportsGuy, January 02, 2018, 10:09:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsGuy

Gafford got manhandled on the boards.  Barford basically lost the game for us.  Macon didn't  get the ball enough in 2cd half.  Thompson has massively regressed.  Jones is nowhere to be found anymore.  I give props to Bailey for his hustle.  Lots to learn from this game.  May lose the next too.

jst01

Thompson isn't in the athletic shape that he needs to be. Thomas isn't enough of a scorer. Those two had ZERO tonight.

chortle

Quote from: TheSportsGuy on January 02, 2018, 10:09:52 pm
Gafford got manhandled on the boards.  Barford basically lost the game for us.  Macon didn't  get the ball enough in 2cd half.  Thompson has massively regressed.  Jones is nowhere to be found anymore.  I give props to Bailey for his hustle.  Lots to learn from this game.  May lose the next too.

Or simply Anderson got out coached. Again.

BannerMountainMan

"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

TheSportsGuy

Dont think he was outcoached.  The players made the poor choices in the end

woopig

Yeah Anderson coached them not to rebound and to miss free throws.  This was definitely not mikes fault  jeeeeez

johnfanman

CJ Jones disappearing in the last two or three games has not been helpful. If we are going to win consistently, him knocking down 3's is a big part of that recipe. Without it we miss another weapon to keep us going during scoring droughts. We need a couple consistent players when others have off nights. Either we find that last piece or two or we are going to be in the middle of the pack.
Watching the Hogs through hell or high water.

Allhawgdawg

Was it me or did it look like gafford had lead in his shoes? He wasn't jumping for rebounds or to block or even contest shots. He will jump for a dunk though but that was about it. CMA did not have us ready to play, plain and simple.

hobhog

Quote from: woopig on January 02, 2018, 10:16:42 pm
Yeah Anderson coached them not to rebound and to miss free throws.  This was definitely not mikes fault  jeeeeez

3 hogs and one bulldog under basket and they got every rebound. Lucky this game was close.

Athog

Quote from: johnfanman on January 02, 2018, 10:18:00 pm
CJ Jones disappearing in the last two or three games has not been helpful. If we are going to win consistently, him knocking down 3's is a big part of that recipe. Without it we miss another weapon to keep us going during scoring droughts. We need a couple consistent players when others have off nights. Either we find that last piece or two or we are going to be in the middle of the pack.

Well if that is what we must have to win then mail it in now.
He is not ready for that yet.

howie76

The last 2 games now our last shot in regulation has not bn a good one, and both of them out of a timeout. I love coach A but I do question this part. Is that what he came up with out if a timeout?

BroyledNutts

Looked to me like everyone, save Macon, had lead in their shoes tonight ... Dead legs for everyone. 3 point shooting disappeared. Rebounding disappeared. No motion. No press.

Not a whole lot of "want to" exhibited tonight ... we should've beaten MSU by more than 10 ....

TheSportsGuy

Gafford has learned a lot these last 2 games.  He is awesome but needs a lot of work.   He gets pushed around a lot.  Beard needs to learn to get up in the face of his guy when playing zone.  If he hangs back at all they shoot over him.  That's coaching right there

PygmalionEffect2

Didn't understand the offense going through Thomas when he was in there. Need to play Bailey more. Thompson is the player I always knew he would be.

Finally free up to watch a game and it wasn't a good effort   

Gifford getting manhandled was a surprise.  State was very athletic and we are jinxed in that gym.
President Donald Trump, on "60 Minutes," Nov. 13, 2016
"Facebook and Twitter were the reason we won this thing."

Hannity - This Nunes memo is going to make Watergate look like someone stole a candy bar.

Oliver

The basic takeaway for me was that we really needed this game tonight because I think we are about to start 1-2 in the SEC again

Hog Pharm

Basic takeaway is we're not very deep. If our bench isn't going to give us more than that we're in trouble.

ArkHogFan1

Basic takeaway is that we need to hit our free throws when given the opportunity.

Hog Pharm

Quote from: howie76 on January 02, 2018, 10:20:50 pm
The last 2 games now our last shot in regulation has not bn a good one, and both of them out of a timeout. I love coach A but I do question this part. Is that what he came up with out if a timeout?

Exactly. We still had time to go for a quick two.

Semohog

Quote from: ArkHogFan1 on January 02, 2018, 10:30:07 pm
Basic takeaway is that we need to hit our free throws when given the opportunity.

I agree it's really that simple. Have to hit the free throws to win on the road.

Nosboar Accubond

We've become focused on Offense, not Defense. Too much 1-on-1 play, not enough drive and dish.

TheSportsGuy

A lot of good basic takeaways lol

synthartist69

When Thompson comes in, bad things start happening. No CJ Jones anymore, it's killing us.

Sow Lancelot

Not enough driving to collapse the defense, creating challenged and rushed shots both on the drive or the kick-out.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

razorhead94

Quote from: chortle on January 02, 2018, 10:13:50 pm
Or simply Anderson got out coached. Again.

I guess we didn't run very well set out of bounds plays as well?  The narrative on Mike on here is getting old.
"Primetime is whenever we play" - Jack Kenley 2019 OmaHogs

hogfanny

Basicly taken away by  the free throw option. I wish free throws were eliminated. They're just an opinion. And biased most of the time. If foul is called hand the fouler a citation. Three citations result in player ejection.  Cleans up and speeds up game. Refs should be held accountable as well .
Currently a gag order on coaches after being ref whipped. Two blown calls in a game should result in 10 game suspension. Games should not be determined by refs. They ruin lives. Blown calls should be a class y felony. And I will complain all I want to.

hogsanity

Lots of comments about dead looking legs, lead in their shoes. Well, when your guards are having to play 35+ mins a night, that is only going to get worse. Mike's system does not ask their guards to play that much. Matter of fact, playing that much does to the Hogs what they usually do to other teams, wears them out so they are not quite as sharp late in the game.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

I've stated many times already the main take away for me is getting 11 points and 0 threes from two guys that combine for 28 points and 40% from three (Barford and Jones).

But the bigger takeaway is the impact of not have a ball handler and playmaker like Garland off the bench. He could give you 15 minutes a night that you could reduce from Barford/Macon/Beard.

For the sake of rotations, it might be best to start either Jones or Hall and let Beard come off the bench and work with the 2nd unit while he is fresh. Of course, Beard would be in there at the end of the game and get starters minutes.

Little Lady Back

Quote from: The_Iceman on January 04, 2018, 09:34:03 am
I've stated many times already the main take away for me is getting 11 points and 0 threes from two guys that combine for 28 points and 40% from three (Barford and Jones).

But the bigger takeaway is the impact of not have a ball handler and playmaker like Garland off the bench. He could give you 15 minutes a night that you could reduce from Barford/Macon/Beard.

For the sake of rotations, it might be best to start either Jones or Hall and let Beard come off the bench and work with the 2nd unit while he is fresh. Of course, Beard would be in there at the end of the game and get starters minutes.

I agree with you. My son and I were discussing this very same thing last night.
#NolanRichardsonCourt

KlubhouseKonnected

If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

hogsanity

Quote from: Little Lady Back on January 04, 2018, 09:42:24 am
I agree with you. My son and I were discussing this very same thing last night.

Too bad there is not someone like Babb, who would have been a Sr this year, on this team. Some of us were tarred and feathered when we said his leaving would come back to hurt the team. Averaging 12ppg and 7apg at ISU.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Kevin

Our offense grinds to a halt versus defenses that bumps cutters, and pushes them off screens. 

When that happens, offense become stand around watch people dribble.

Houston & Mississippi state both had success with this.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

CPO Hog

Quote from: Kevin on January 04, 2018, 10:02:18 am
Our offense grinds to a halt versus defenses that bumps cutters, and pushes them off screens. 

When that happens, offense become stand around watch people dribble.

Houston & Mississippi state both had success with this.
^
This
&
Our D becomes a "whack a mole" D when they spread us out and beat us off the dribble.