Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

So much for that epic preseason win...

Started by EastexHawg, September 28, 2010, 09:08:56 am

Previous topic - Next topic

EastexHawg

...for the Texans against Dallas.  I tried to tell one of my friends that while the Cowboys approached that meeting like any other preseason game, the Texans were acting like it was the Super Bowl.

There is a reason why those games used to be referred to as "exhibitions".  They're about as honestly contested as wrasslin' matches.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

any way you slice it cows still currently 1-2.  The upside is they have a bye this week, and can't lose to bye.  Will be a tie at worst.
Let's make some waves.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogfanintx on September 30, 2010, 09:16:25 am
any way you slice it cows still currently 1-2.  The upside is they have a bye this week, and can't lose to bye.  Will be a tie at worst.

Enjoy calling scoreboard while you can still do it.  BTW, who is your team?

CurDog64

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 30, 2010, 09:57:06 am

Oh you haven't heard?  He is a mainstay at a Steeler's Bar in Dallas.  Apparently they have a VIP area fully equipped with Rohipnol just in case Roethlisberger comes into town.

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 30, 2010, 09:57:06 am
Quote from: CurDog64 on September 30, 2010, 10:41:00 am
Oh you haven't heard?  He is a mainstay at a Steeler's Bar in Dallas.  Apparently they have a VIP area fully equipped with Rohipnol just in case Roethlisberger comes into town.

Yep.  Had my first Franco Harris jersey at age 3.  We do have an awesome gathering at the Steeler bar.

Yep I am calling scoreboard.  even at 1-2 however the cows could win that division at 9-7.  Somebody might actually win it at 8-8 but I doubt it.  Cows obviously have more talent than anyone in the NFC East.  If they play as a team and keep Romo from the happy feet they should win it.
Let's make some waves.

Oh and not sure Big Ben is smart enough to use the Rohipnol.   If he stays out of trouble I am glad to have him back.  If he goofs again I want him gone.  Actually it didn't hurt my feelings when they shopped him around a bit last year.  Steelers are gonna be there with him or without him. 
Let's make some waves.

CurDog64

Quote from: hogfanintx on September 30, 2010, 12:39:43 pm
Oh and not sure Big Ben is smart enough to use the Rohipnol.   If he stays out of trouble I am glad to have him back.  If he goofs again I want him gone.  Actually it didn't hurt my feelings when they shopped him around a bit last year.  Steelers are gonna be there with him or without him.

What else can I use to make fun of the Steelers?

A classy organization with classy ownership, and a championship defense that is good enough to win with a 45 year old 3rd string QB...

Quote from: CurDog64 on September 30, 2010, 01:06:07 pm
What else can I use to make fun of the Steelers?

A classy organization with classy ownership, and a championship defense that is good enough to win with a 45 year old 3rd string QB...

I hear ya man.  No worries.  That is the beauty of being a Steeler fan.  We have our down years just like everyone else, but the one constant is the Rooney family.  I truly hope as a Steeler fan that even if the team every changes hands that the Rooney class and way of doing things stays around forever.  That city loves Rooney and the Steelers through good times and bad.  The players seem to love the city and dedication it has to them.  People may and may not want to believe that in this day and age.  But it does exist there.  I like to brag on them, but I really wish there were more situations like that in all pro sports. 
Let's make some waves.

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogfanintx on September 30, 2010, 12:37:25 pm

Yep.  Had my first Franco Harris jersey at age 3.  We do have an awesome gathering at the Steeler bar.

I always thought Franco Harris was the biggest candy arse for a big back I ever saw.  Not sure how old you are, but do you remember when Jim Brown said he was contemplating coming out of retirement to keep an undeserving RB like Franco from breaking his career rushing record?

He said the way Franco ran out of bounds to avoid contact sickened him.  He didn't mind the idea of Walter Payton breaking his record because Sweetness ran with heart and like a man...or something to that effect.

It turned out it didn't matter because Harris' career petered out really quickly and Payton beat him to the record.

I'm not bashing on the Steelers (although I don't particularly like them), just Franco.  You would think a 235 pound back would have run a little tougher, especially 30-40 years ago when LBs were usually in the 215-230 pound range and DBs were usually more like 180-190.

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 30, 2010, 01:17:55 pm
I always thought Franco Harris was the biggest candy arse for a big back I ever saw.  Not sure how old you are, but do you remember when Jim Brown said he was contemplating coming out of retirement to keep an undeserving RB like Franco from breaking his career rushing record?

He said the way Franco ran out of bounds to avoid contact sickened him.  He didn't mind the idea of Walter Payton breaking his record because Sweetness ran with heart and like a man...or something to that effect.

It turned out it didn't matter because Harris' career petered out really quickly and Payton beat him to the record.

I'm not bashing on the Steelers (although I don't particularly like them), just Franco.  You would think a 235 pound back would have run a little tougher, especially 30-40 years ago when LBs were usually in the 215-230 pound range and DBs were usually more like 180-190.

I will agree.  Franco would tiptoe out of bounds more often than I would have liked. It got worse later in his career.  Was horrible with Seattle if I remember correctly.  The more I look back and watch old film however he rarely took a dive in the middle of the field, but you are right often did when on the sidelines.  I used to hate it, but now I am not wondering if it wasn't smart thing.  He usually wouldn't have picked up more than another yard or so.

I think it would have benefited Marion Barber to take a bit of that approach.  He seems to ignore a hole at times and seek out contact.  Average running back career is somewhere between 3 and 4 years...Just saying.

I do get your point however, and do not totally disagree.
Let's make some waves.