Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Montaric Brown update from Garrett Uekman 7-on-7

Started by Richard Davenport, July 15, 2016, 03:40:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

PorkSoda

would be nice to actually keep our top players instate, but it's his life and he has got to find where he fits best.  I hope he ends up a hog, but some of the comments in the article link smell like sour grapes.  how people are so emotionally involved in something that has nothing to do with them is beyond me.  I mean I love football and recruiting as much as the next guy, but is it too much to ask that people retain some small amount of dignity when posting?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

TNhawgfan

Wow, I had not read the comments on the link until you brought it up. Talk about some good anti recruiting. The kid hasn't even made a commitment, and somebody called him a traitor. Back up off the ledge
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

The Hogfather

Will be a complete waste of talent if he goes to Bama.  These in-state kids will learn sooner or later.  It is better to start for 2-3 years at the home state school than to sit the bench for 2-3 years @ Bama before getting kicked to the curb.

RME

Quote from: The Hogfather on July 19, 2016, 11:48:15 pm
Will be a complete waste of talent if he goes to Bama.  These in-state kids will learn sooner or later.  It is better to start for 2-3 years at the home state school than to sit the bench for 2-3 years @ Bama before getting kicked to the curb.

People who say things like this promote the stupid "poor ole Arkie" mindset almost more than anything.

Essentially, you're saying he'll be a "waste of talent at Bama because Bama players are that much better than ours, so he would never play there. However, since our players aren't nearly as good as Bama's, of course he'd play here!"

Yeah, we haven't beaten Bama in awhile, and yeah they have their share of NC's. That's not my point. My point is that saying stupid stuff like "well he wouldn't play there but he surely would here" is nothing but a knock against Arkansas.

The Hogfather

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 20, 2016, 12:37:04 am
People who say things like this promote the stupid "poor ole Arkie" mindset almost more than anything.

Essentially, you're saying he'll be a "waste of talent at Bama because Bama players are that much better than ours, so he would never play there. However, since our players aren't nearly as good as Bama's, of course he'd play here!"

Yeah, we haven't beaten Bama in awhile, and yeah they have their share of NC's. That's not my point. My point is that saying stupid stuff like "well he wouldn't play there but he surely would here" is nothing but a knock against Arkansas.

Blah, blah, blah.  Give me a break.  The fact is, it is much easier for a player to get lost in the shuffle at Bama than Arkansas.  Say whatever you want about the "poor ole Arkie" mindset, but what I said is true.  We've seen it play out.

And, every kid tho is they're good enough to rise to the top at Bama, no matter how much talent is there.  They often do themselves a disservice by going to Bama and sitting the bench for 2-3 years and either have to transfer or end up finally getting some playing time in their 3rd or 4th year, when they could've started in their 1st or 2nd year at a place like Arkansas.

Hawgar The Horrible

Here's the thing. If an Arkansas high school star goes out of state to play his college ball, short of making an NFL roster he will become an afterthought locally. Now if that same guy signs with the Hogs and contributes in a meaningful way, NFL or not, he will remain in the hearts and minds of Hog fans forever.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

SamBuckhart

Wooo Pig , Mr. Brown. Come to Fayetteville. We need you.    :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
BE TRUE TO YOUR SCHOOL. THE UNIVERSITY OF ARKANSAS!!!  WOOO PIG!!!

colbs

Quote from: Hawgar The Horrible on July 20, 2016, 08:41:11 am
Here's the thing. If an Arkansas high school star goes out of state to play his college ball, short of making an NFL roster he will become an afterthought locally. Now if that same guy signs with the Hogs and contributes in a meaningful way, NFL or not, he will remain in the hearts and minds of Hog fans forever.
Every player thinks the will make it to the NFL.  If an instate player goes to Arkansas and they don't make to the NFL or they don't pan out in the NFL, Arkansas will take care of them.  They shouldn't have any problem finding a good job instate.  As of late there have been players going out of state that aren't panning out for whatever reason. 

I know it probably is hard to turn down when Bama shows all the players that they have put in the NFL but they also don't show all the high rated players that don't make it either.  It's easy produce loads of NFL talent when you are getting to pick from the cream of the crop High School players every year.  On the other hand Arkansas is a school where early playing time especially at DB is very likely.  You get a lot more experience vs other SEC teams in games rather than just practice reps.  Plus this staff has shown they can develop talent and if you are good enough you will make the league regardless. 

colbs

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on July 20, 2016, 12:37:04 am

Agreed but I do think especially at CB/S a freshman can step in right away and play.  While at Bama you usually have to wait your turn and they are always loaded at DB.  Game experience is better than practice reps any day.

ricepig

Quote from: colbs on July 20, 2016, 12:28:16 pm
Agreed but I do think especially at CB/S a freshman can step in right away and play.  While at Bama you usually have to wait your turn and they are always loaded at DB.  Game experience is better than practice reps any day.

Yeah, RB, OT, or WR, you can see the field at Bama, DB is much harder as a freshman.

RME

Quote from: colbs on July 20, 2016, 12:28:16 pm

This is true, I do agree with you.

However, Bama's depth chart according to OurLads shows 3 sophomores starting in Bama's secondary. If you're good enough, you'll play.

CB   29   Fitzpatrick, Minkah SO/1   11   Sheffield, Kendall RS FR                     
SS   4   Jackson, Eddie SR/3           27    Burgess-Becker, Shawn SO/1                     
FS   15   Harrison, Ronnie SO/1   6   Jones, Laurence JR/2                     
CB   26   Humphrey, Marlon RS SO/1   21   Smith, Maurice SR/3

I want a guy to come to Arkansas because he wants to come here and because he believes in the program, not because he's scared that he'll got lost in the crowd if he goes somewhere else.

PorkSoda

you can't blame a defensive player for considering bama considering they are known for some of the best defenses ever to grace college football.  even if a kid only plays for 2 years, they know they are playing in a system that is going to make them a better player.

We just need to prove that we can do that too.  that we can field a great defense and that these kids have a path to the NFL through our program.  oline, TEs, RBs, WR's, D line we have done that.  LB's and DB's we haven't had as much success.  here is hoping that Rhodes can make a real difference.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.