Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

7 year plan for Pel

Started by HeathWimp, February 14, 2009, 08:20:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

HeathWimp

February 14, 2009, 08:20:03 pm Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 08:21:48 pm by HeathWimp
After the fiasco when Heath was fired, I think that we probably need to give Pel a pretty long leash before letting him go.  I, for one, am not sure that he can get it done, but firing him after 3 years will probably result in another face-plant for the program.

The way I see it is this:

2007-08 Season - All Heath players, doesn't count.  Many people seem to   
                         support this concept.
2008-11 Seasons - Pel gets four full years to recruit his players.
2011-13 Seasons - See how a fully engrained Pel does.

Ideally, we could cut our losses and send him packing if we bomb next season (and I think that it will be ugly again).  But I think that the Heath Fiasco is still too recent, and that any decent coaches will shoot us down.  We would be stuck with another up-and-comer, which is always a roll of the dice.

I know that some will see this as a defeatist attitude, but I just think that jettisoning Pel too soon will reflect poorly on the program, and we will have to start all over again. 
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

NEAHawgfan

Wow!!! I'd say that's a bit long actually.

HeathWimp

Quote from: NEAHawgfan on February 14, 2009, 08:24:12 pm
Wow!!! I'd say that's a bit long actually.

I know, it is not a great plan.  But I think that the alternative is even worse.  We can't get shot down by 7 coaches again - that will completely kill the program, and it is already on life support.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

forrest city joe

Quote from: HeathWimp on February 14, 2009, 08:20:03 pm
After the fiasco when Heath was fired, I think that we probably need to give Pel a pretty long leash before letting him go.  I, for one, am not sure that he can get it done, but firing him after 3 years will probably result in another face-plant for the program.

support this concept.

Ideally, we could cut our losses and send him packing if we bomb next season (and I think that it will be ugly again).  But I think that the Heath Fiasco is still too recent, and that any decent coaches will shoot us down.  We would be stuck with another up-and-comer, which is always a roll of the dice.

I know that some will see this as a defeatist attitude, but I just think that jettisoning Pel too soon will reflect poorly on the program, and we will have to start all over again. 
O Boy. is this for real? 7 years! man O man.

Porkatarian

Quote from: forrest city joe on February 14, 2009, 08:34:59 pm
O Boy. is this for real? 7 years! man O man.

If Pel is here 7 years from now, it means that he really got things turned around in year 3.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

If I were the A.D. I would want to see marked improvement next year and the next.  I think we have the basis to do that.  Pels 5th year should be top 15 at least.  These freshmen will be seniors with tons of experience and I would hope better recruits would be interested in Arkansas.  I think we see 20 plus wins next year with it getting better after that.  7 years is too much, 3 or even 4 years is too little.  Five years and let the record speak for itself.

opineonswine

Pel isn't going anywhere.  Goofy talk.

Heightshog

support this concept.

We've only been playing sub-par basketball for the last 14 seasons, what's another 7.

jonesark™

support this concept.

I agree, but hope the program is turned around in 3 o 4 of those 7 years.

Beaverfever

Fiasco?  He never won anything and got fired.  Not much of a fiasco. 

HeathWimp

Quote from: Beaverfever on February 15, 2009, 09:08:09 am
Fiasco?  He never won anything and got fired.  Not much of a fiasco. 

I was referring to the fiasco that ensued when we tried to replace him, and got shot down 7 times.  I have my doubts about Pel getting this program back on track, but if we fire him now, or even after next year, we are going to be the laughingstock of the country - again.

hawgrunner

support this concept.

Four full years to recruit his players?

thirtythree

Quote from: Lazarus P. Hog on February 14, 2009, 08:53:37 pm
So he won with Heaths players and got a NCAA invite with them says nothing of his coaching talents? But this team he has now is what he should be judged on. Sounds good to me, he'll get two more years. By 2011 he should have a smoking squad. If not, he'll get a pink slip.

I think this is more "realistic" of a plan than anything.

HogBreath

Quote from: HeathWimp on February 14, 2009, 08:20:03 pm.

I just think that jettisoning Pel too soon will reflect poorly on the program
We're 1-9, half of our 7 players have been suspended at one time or another, and our recruits all have elgibiltiy questions, well, other than the one who just recently started playing basketball and we're setting all time records for most lopsided losses and highest scoring games allowed by an opponent.

So please..........nothing else that will reflect poorly on the program.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

JBucc

Maybe things will change if players leave or something big happens, but I think Pel deserves to take this group of freshman to their senior seasons. If he can't get something done by then, he can go.
Read the guidelines for signature images.

HeathWimp

This program can not endure another face-plant like when we let Heath go.  If we stick with Pel for an extended length of time, one of two things will have happened:

1.  Pel has done a good job, and we are a competitive program again.
2.  Pel hasn't done a good job, but the memories of the Heath firing have faded from the national conciousness.  Hopefully this would mean that the national media will not be all over us again, and decent coaches might consider coming here.

donbro

I am trying to figure out out why most people on this board think that Stan Heath did a poor job. If you look at his record , for the most part, he improved every year and big time recruits was visiting and had some interest in the program ie Greg Oden. As poor of a coach some might say Stan Heath was, at least the teams were competitive and didn't completely fall apart in the second half of games

jkstock04

Quote from: donbro on February 16, 2009, 09:17:46 am
I am trying to figure out out why most people on this board think that Stan Heath did a poor job. If you look at his record , for the most part, he improved every year and big time recruits was visiting and had some interest in the program ie Greg Oden. As poor of a coach some might say Stan Heath was, at least the teams were competitive and didn't completely fall apart in the second half of games
I was actually one of the very few on here against the firing of Heath.  I guess people were getting tired of those 20 plus win seasons he was beginning to have.  How many years now til we see another 20 win year?  LOL.  Make no mistake I'm not in the fire Pel boat yet, but I do think it's quite humorous that we now have people suggesting 7 year plans just to "see how a fully engrained Pel does." 
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HawgWild

Quote from: JBucc on February 15, 2009, 06:17:45 pm
Maybe things will change if players leave or something big happens, but I think Pel deserves to take this group of freshman to their senior seasons. If he can't get something done by then, he can go.

Yeah, like Stan Heath got to.  Wait a minute............................  ;)

HeathWimp

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 16, 2009, 09:34:10 am
I was actually one of the very few on here against the firing of Heath.  I guess people were getting tired of those 20 plus win seasons he was beginning to have.  How many years now til we see another 20 win year?  LOL.  Make no mistake I'm not in the fire Pel boat yet, but I do think it's quite humorous that we now have people suggesting 7 year plans just to "see how a fully engrained Pel does." 

Heath was a wimp.  He should have been gone after his 3rd year.  I still think getting rid of him was the right thing to do, but who could have anticipated the circus that would follow?  I never would have believed that we would have had so much trouble finding another coach.