Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I said last week Pel had lost this team and after he jerked Rotnei damn near

Started by Hogeyeblind, February 14, 2009, 04:32:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogeyeblind

off the floor today by his jersey I'd say he's losing the fans too.  I thought all of the bluehairs around me in section 125 were going to have a stroke.

Pel looks like the type that could pull a Woody Hayes

swinesation

Quote from: Hogeyeblind on February 14, 2009, 04:32:21 pm
off the floor today by his jersey I'd say he's losing the fans too.  I thought all of the bluehairs around me in section 125 were going to have a stroke.

I'd take a Woody Hayes clone in a heartbeat. That's high praise for ole Pel.

Hogeyeblind

Quote from: four_two_speed on February 14, 2009, 05:15:41 pm
yea and if you saw Petrino do it you'd be all giddy. YOu know why? b/c he's won a BCS game.  Next year if we are losing again you wouldn't feel that way.

Pel is going to be good. We have to have patience

Well i saw petrino eat Tejad's ass out down in LR at the ULM game and i wasnt too giddy about that

I hope Pel is the guy but im not wondering what side of BWA we are going to put his statue up yet

jry04

Quick question. How did he nearly jerk him off the floor by his jersey when Clarke was actually walking off the court and Pel jerked him back on the court. Clarke was walking about and Pel grabbed his jersey to bring him back. Everyone I was sitting by thought it was funny and they could tell he was frustrated.

Hogeyeblind

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on February 14, 2009, 05:27:09 pm
Quick question. How did he nearly jerk him off the floor by his jersey when Clarke was actually walking off the court and Pel jerked him back on the court. Clarke was walking about and Pel grabbed his jersey to bring him back. Everyone I was sitting by thought it was funny and they could tell he was frustrated.
Dont know where you sit - all im saying is there are alot of "more mature" folks sitting around me and they wer all taken aback by Pel jerking Rotnei around.  I certainly didnt hear anyone laugh

jry04

Quote from: Hogeyeblind on February 14, 2009, 05:31:20 pm
Dont know where you sit - all im saying is there are alot of "more mature" folks sitting around me and they wer all taken aback by Pel jerking Rotnei around.  I certainly didnt hear anyone laugh
He never physically grabbed Clarke's body. He didn't hurt him. Why are you making such a big deal about it? Because I liked the aggression and passion Pel showed I am immature? You are being dramatic and blowing this out of proportion. You seem a little immature if you ask me. You said he nearly pulled him off the court. He wasn't even pulling him off the court, and Clarke didn't stumble or anything. He turned around immediately once Pel grabbed his jersey and stood there and listened to what he had to say.

Hogeyeblind

Quote from: rsvl_hogfan4 on February 14, 2009, 05:35:20 pm
He never physically grabbed Clarke's body. He didn't hurt him. Why are you making such a big deal about it? Because I liked the aggression and passion Pel showed I am immature? You are being dramatic and blowing this out of proportion. You seem a little immature if you ask me. You said he nearly pulled him off the court. He wasn't even pulling him off the court, and Clarke didn't stumble or anything. He turned around immediately once Pel grabbed his jersey and stood there and listened to what he had to say.

Francis... I dont think anyone said he put a beatdown on the kid ... and by "more mature" i was referring to older folks - i referred to them as bluehairs in the opening post

Wayne Watson

If that's all it was, who cares.  My coach would have grab me by the jock and had me turn around.  Next thing you know a coach won't be able to use the F Bomb.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Duckhog89

yea chill out hogeyeblind. ive had coaches do that to me a 100 times.

cobra kai

that was nothing!  Rot was walking off the court, and pel grabbed his jersey and pulled him over to where henry was standing to talk to the 2 of them. (henry's pass to rotnei had just been intercepted).

nothing unusual there, happens every day... 

Smokehouse

if you were at the game then you must be deaf if you think he's "losing the fans." They showed up and were in it the whole game, if nothing else we can be real proud of the fans today.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

SLC

I saw Pel jerk Clark around and do not support it near as much as everyone else. 

Look, as a Coach Pel's number one goal is to make the team better.  His childish antics on the sidelines are boring me and they obviously DO NOT WORK.
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

regi

When you are 9-1, you step on em. When you are 1-9, you pick them up. Esp if it is a young team.

gangstaback

Quote from: Smokehouse on February 14, 2009, 08:15:58 pm
if you were at the game then you must be deaf if you think he's "losing the fans." They showed up and were in it the whole game, if nothing else we can be real proud of the fans today.

i was about to disagree with you.

but i looked up the attendance at it was at 19041.

Kentucky or not, something went on and I doubt many of the old people know about EA Sports being at the game...

SLC

Quote from: regi on February 14, 2009, 08:32:37 pm
When you are 9-1, you step on em. When you are 1-9, you pick them up. Esp if it is a young team.

I don't know what is going on in practice, I don't know what Pel is like in practice.  What I do know from watching Pel during games is that the Angry Stick Figure routine is not working. 

If the chemistry issues in the other threads are true (and I have no reason to doubt Porkatrain or Biggus), then Pel needs to understand that one of the fundamentals of leading, managing or coaching people is to be consistent and fair.  At least, that is my take as of now. 

I do reserve the right to change my mind.
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

HogKongPhooey

Quote from: SLC on February 14, 2009, 08:29:28 pm
I saw Pel jerk Clark around and do not support it near as much as everyone else. 

Look, as a Coach Pel's number one goal is to make the team better.  His childish antics on the sidelines are boring me and they obviously DO NOT WORK.

I agree with this.  Pel is starting to remind me of another blow hard that used to coach here.....Reggie Herring.  I want to see results, the Bobby Knight impressions are not working on the fans or the players.  And it certainly is not showing up in the win column.

HogKongPhooey

Quote from: batesvillepharmer on February 14, 2009, 08:46:15 pm
I bet if it had been welsh, henry, britt, etc the blue hairs wouldnt have had a problem with it. But it was a lilly white boy so its a different story.
I know where you're going, and I don't think that's it.  Pelphrey knows only one mode and it's full throttle.  Frankly I think most of his players have started tuning him out.  Remember these are freshmen and at some point the yelling and screaming takes its toll.  I guess I could tolerate the antics better with a winning record than what we've been subjected to thus far.

who knows

Let me guess..those of you that disagree with the tug on the jersey didnt punish your kids either..you made them stand in the corner..jeeze people give me a break...give the man a chance...quit breaking him down and try to support him for a change...
Quote from: Ftsmithmike on October 07, 2011, 03:56:29 pm
This is what Game Day should look like.

HogKongPhooey

Quote from: outlawfan on February 14, 2009, 09:07:28 pm
Let me guess..those of you that disagree with the tug on the jersey didnt punish your kids either..you made them stand in the corner..jeeze people give me a break...give the man a chance...quit breaking him down and try to support him for a change...
I don't disagree with the tugging of the jersey, and I certainly am a very strong supporter who wants a very disciplined program, but what I am seeing on the court each week worries me.  There comes a time where what a coach or parent is doing isn't working.  I think that is the case here.  Now, that doesn't mean you let the inmates run the asylum, but it certainly looks like this staff is in over its head.

Speedracer

Like smites bother me.

dunnhead

The jersey jerk was a big hit up in my section of the nosebleeds.

Quote from: gangstaback on February 14, 2009, 08:33:54 pm... i looked up the attendance at it was at 19041.

There was a pretty good crowd today, but we didn't have nearly that many people show up.

Sonofahog

Wow.  You people never cease to amaze me.

Before it was  "man it's great that we finally have a passionate coach instead of Stan who showed no emotion" .   Now that the team is struggling it is "this Bobby Knight act isn't working" and "we have another Woody Hayes in the making".

Pel is a young coach.  He isn't acting,  he is being himself.  He is a strict disciplinarian.  Before he was being praised for it,  now he has "lost this team".   

I am just as disappointed in this year as the next guy but I AM NOT and I WILL NOT give up on these kids and Coach Pel this year.  He deserves a chance to build a team.  A team not loaded with freshman.  These guys are fun to watch,  and if you can't see the potential in them then you don't know basketball. 

If we aren't drastically improved next year then I will rethink my position.  But I am willing to give Pel this year. 

Proud son of the Hog punt returner in the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFM2ht-O8c

happyhawgal

Maybe Pel should give them a sticker when they do something right.
WPS!!
NewDay
NewAttitude
NewIdentity
NewYear

HogKongPhooey

Quote from: stillahog on February 14, 2009, 10:11:05 pm

Before it was  "man it's great that we finally have a passionate coach instead of Stan who showed no emotion" .   Now that the team is struggling it is "this Bobby Knight act isn't working" and "we have another Woody Hayes in the making".

Pel is a young coach.  He isn't acting,  he is being himself.  He is a strict disciplinarian.  Before he was being praised for it,  now he has "lost this team".   

I am just as disappointed in this year as the next guy but I AM NOT and I WILL NOT give up on these kids and Coach Pel this year.  He deserves a chance to build a team.  A team not loaded with freshman.  These guys are fun to watch,  and if you can't see the potential in them then you don't know basketball. 

If we aren't drastically improved next year then I will rethink my position.  But I am willing to give Pel this year. 

The very things you are praising about Pel got John Brady fired at LSU not too long after taking them to the final four.

Jeephog

I was there.  Didn't think Rotnei was too upset about the whole thing.  It appeared to me that Pel was more upset with Henry than Rotnei.  He chewed on him longer, anyway. 

jonesark™

Sonofahog

Quote from: HogKongPhooey on February 14, 2009, 10:27:56 pm
The very things you are praising about Pel got John Brady fired at LSU not too long after taking them to the final four.

Yes,  if only we could be so lucky as to have to fire our coach not too long after reaching the final four.   Nice logic.
Proud son of the Hog punt returner in the video below!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JFM2ht-O8c

3kgthog

Pelphrey is clueless as to how to turn this around. He was shaking his head, shrugging his shoulders, throwing a fit, stomping his feet, and throwing his arms in the air the entire game. He's either lost the team or they are really slow at picking things up.

That 19,000 attendance must've been tickets sold. There were plenty of empty seats in the usual places, namely the lower deck. Not that the UA would ever stoop so low as to inflate attendance numbers.

secfan30

Quote from: wayne1958 on February 14, 2009, 05:44:09 pm
If that's all it was, who cares.  My coach would have grab me by the jock and had me turn around.  Next thing you know a coach won't be able to use the F Bomb.

I swear it's the weak way of the world now days. My High School Ball Coach would pull my ear and tell me I better "G## D&&& thank God I was his White Token or I'd be off his D#$@ team for pulling S$%# like that". To this day I have a phobia of cabbage ear.

beachhog

One guy beat us today and then we have an appreciation thread for him, lol.  Are we really that bad?  Yes, and what is funny is that I am sure that the coaching staff drilled over and over about Meeks this week.

Pel is a Pitino wanna a be, I can remember the fights that Pitino had with Roderick Rhodes and finally Rhodes left the team.  I can also remember Nolan chewing some ears back in the day, heck I can remember Beck and even Day getting on players during huddles. 

We need a leader, Pel is it until we have one on the floor too.

jonesark™

Quote from: dunnhead on February 14, 2009, 11:39:48 pm
That just doesn't sound right  8)

haha

just about anything you cut off mid sentence can sound wrong!! lol

N HOG

The over-the-top temper tantrums on the sideline look better and seem more appropriate when the team is good than when the team is bad.

chiefsfan

Henry and Clarke didnt communicate on a pass, and it was stolen for a layup.   Clarke started to walk off the court and Pel jerked him back so he could talk to the two of them and work on their communication

Ive seen worse out of Brady this year at ASU, and the crowd darn near gave him a standing ovation for it

Thats how he coaches.  its how Nolan coached, its how Pitino coached, its how Donnovan coaches in a sense

They all turned out pretty good
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

faulknercohog

I remember Lou Holtz pulling players to the sideline by their facemask and
chewing some butt.

ua_hogs

Quote from: stillahog on February 14, 2009, 10:11:05 pm

Before it was  "man it's great that we finally have a passionate coach instead of Stan who showed no emotion" .   Now that the team is struggling it is "this Bobby Knight act isn't working" and "we have another Woody Hayes in the making".

+1

when we win, coach pel has fire and intensity. 
when we lose, coach pel is throwing temper tantrums.

what coach pel did was normal, you guys are acting like pansies thinking that was a big deal.  hell my 6th grade coach chewed our arses out all the time. 

chiefsfan

Quote from: ua_hogs on February 15, 2009, 12:29:21 am
+1

when we win, coach pel has fire and intensity. 
when we lose, coach pel is throwing temper tantrums.

what coach pel did was normal, you guys are acting like pansies thinking that was a big deal.  hell my 6th grade coach chewed our arses out all the time. 

and look at you, you turned out okay...you spend your free time shriveling away on a message board...but thats fine...  ;)

err sorry, that was a bad example
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

thirtythree

Quote from: gangstaback on February 14, 2009, 08:33:54 pm
i was about to disagree with you.

but i looked up the attendance at it was at 19041.

Kentucky or not, something went on and I doubt many of the old people know about EA Sports being at the game...

Yeah, it set a BWA record.

I don't understand wy people have to blow things uo like this one. There was nothing to it.

You make it sound like it was Bobby Knight choking someone again.

prisonhog

"It's not the size of the Hog in the fight, but the size
of the fight in the Hog."

pigture perfect

I still think Pel is a better choice for us than Dana Altman.

Whatever happened to the old phrase, "As long as we beat Texas,".........?
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

SLC

Quote from: CON HOG WAY on February 15, 2009, 12:17:49 am
I remember Lou Holtz pulling players to the sideline by their facemask and
chewing some butt.

Then I remember him not being able to recruit to ND b/c of it.  That was after winning a NC and he was at NOTRE DAME!  The game and the kids passed Lou by.

TNhawgfan

I remember last year everyone loved Pel's fiery nature. People even wanted to make shirts that said STFU after the TN game when he got into it with that punk Smith. How many times did we read, "Props to Pel for chewing out Gary Ervin and bringing him in off the bench." And now that we're losing, his sideline antics are to blame. Get real
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

SLC

Quote from: TNhawgfan on February 15, 2009, 08:23:43 am
I remember last year everyone loved Pel's fiery nature. People even wanted to make shirts that said STFU after the TN game when he got into it with that punk Smith. How many times did we read, "Props to Pel for chewing out Gary Ervin and bringing him in off the bench." And now that we're losing, his sideline antics are to blame. Get real

I don't know, the STFU moment was far from classy.  On the otherhand, I don't think any coach should  stand there when some punk kid is running at the mouth.  I don't know how he could have handled it better but surely he could have.

Bama Hog™

Quote from: TNhawgfan on February 15, 2009, 08:23:43 am

Well said. Bandwagon jumpers need to hit the skids.
Quote from: SILK PURSE on October 03, 2008, 09:34:24 am
MM and DW are to be lauded as Arkansas sports heroes for their overall contribution, not just on the playing field during one season, but also for the sacrifices that they made which ensured the dismantling of the Frank Broyles machine. 

razorbacksR4ever

HogInThaGrove

We have a GIRLS coach at our high school right now who is worse than Pel. But his teams always win. Although it did take him a couple of years to get his system installed. But those girls will kill themselves out there for him. You will all regret this when Pel has developed mentally tough teams who win and win consistently. Give him time.

SLC

LaBob

OK, apology if this was already posted, but was Fortson on the bench last night??

mike32

Quote from: outlawfan on February 14, 2009, 09:07:28 pm

Have to echo what outlawfan says.  Worse things than pulling on a jersey happen daily in small time athletics.  This is major college.  These aren't kids!  Support the coach and the team.  Pel has to play the hand he was dealt.  This team is very young with little quality depth.  One of the best players wasn't on the floor yesterday.  When Stan was here everyone thought he was to timid, showed no emotion, needed a fire lit under his a$$.  Now you got Pel who coaches with emotion and has a fire and some of you are complaining.  Can't have it both ways.

As an LSU fan I'm enjoying this year but also realizing we are in for bad days ahead when our senior laden team is gone.  We could very well duplicate the season AR is having w/out the 2 wins over top 10 teams.  I would wager that if Pel were in Baton Rouge and Johnson were here the records would be about what they are now.  Pel was a great hire and I think will prove to be if given the time and support.  Be patient, Rome wasn't built in a day!

SLC

Quote from: mike32 on February 15, 2009, 11:44:54 am
Have to echo what outlawfan says.  Worse things than pulling on a jersey happen daily in small time athletics.  This is major college.  These aren't kids!  Support the coach and the team.  Pel has to play the hand he was dealt.  This team is very young with little quality depth.  One of the best players wasn't on the floor yesterday.  When Stan was here everyone thought he was to timid, showed no emotion, needed a fire lit under his a$$.  Now you got Pel who coaches with emotion and has a fire and some of you are complaining.  Can't have it both ways.

As an LSU fan I'm enjoying this year but also realizing we are in for bad days ahead when our senior laden team is gone.  We could very well duplicate the season AR is having w/out the 2 wins over top 10 teams.  I would wager that if Pel were in Baton Rouge and Johnson were here the records would be about what they are now.  Pel was a great hire and I think will prove to be if given the time and support.  Be patient, Rome wasn't built in a day!

I don't know if I do agree. 

When Pel does these things he seems like a spoiled kid to me.  He is undisciplined, so is it any wonder if his players are undisciplined too? 

I think Pel can be a good coach, but he definitely needs to work on his maturity.