Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm proud of the way our young team competed today...

Started by Porkatarian, February 14, 2009, 02:14:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rlreev01

A loss is a loss, is a loss.  Moral losses is a bunch of BS. We are frickin Arkansas and a moral loss is non-exsistant!!! We need the attitude that we are Arkabsas and we are supposed to win no matter who or where we play!!!

RazorbakEuphoricDysphoria

Quote from: Porkatarian on February 14, 2009, 02:14:17 pm
We were outmanned by Kentucky, but we played hard and competed for 40 minutes today.

There's plenty of room for constructive critism for our coaching staff, but this team came into the game 1 - 8 and the SEC and still played their butts off for their coach.

Porkatarian out...

I totally agree, it seemed like they gave it all for 40 mins today...something we haven't seen in quite awhile!!!

"Im sick of out" out...

HogCard

Guys, did we put forth effort today?  Yes ! Did we see a guy put up 45 on us?  Yes !  He is incredible.  Some of you on here are embarrassing me about your talk about our effort and moral victories, etc.  I'm not claiming moral victories but I also know that our guys gave effort today.  My goodness, Meeks was 17/24.  And they were not all wide open shots.

Bottom line....contrary to what some of you think..we are not very talented.  I love our guys and I love the effort they gave today.  Remember when we had teams that actually had talent but didn't win because they simply let other teams out hustle them?  This year it is not the case.  We hustle, but are very much outmanned at almost every position.  We look like a bunch of midgets compared to most teams. 

I think these freshmen will get better and hopefully Pel will recruit better, but for now get used to getting beat simple because we are not very good.

Swine & Cheese Club

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 14, 2009, 04:09:57 pm
After he scored his first 20 points I would have tried to figure out a way to keep him from getting open.  A single player coming into BWA and putting 45 points on the Hogs is unacceptable in my mind.  No excuse for this, it should never happen....Razorback basketball should be held to a higher standard than that.  To me this is what the embarrassment is. 

Yeah, that thought probably never crossed our coach's mind.  ;)

Wayne Watson

Quote from: HogCard on February 14, 2009, 04:13:44 pm
Guys, did we put forth effort today?  Yes ! Did we see a guy put up 45 on us?  Yes !  He is incredible.  Some of you on here are embarrassing me about your talk about our effort and moral victories, etc.  I'm not claiming moral victories but I also know that our guys gave effort today.  My goodness, Meeks was 17/24.  And they were not all wide open shots.

Bottom line....contrary to what some of you think..we are not very talented.  I love our guys and I love the effort they gave today.  Remember when we had teams that actually had talent but didn't win because they simply let other teams out hustle them?  This year it is not the case.  We hustle, but are very much outmanned at almost every position.  We look like a bunch of midgets compared to most teams. 

I think these freshmen will get better and hopefully Pel will recruit better, but for now get used to getting beat simple because we are not very good.

You're making too much sense for some on here.   ;)
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

Hogbody

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 14, 2009, 04:04:02 pm
No, what you said is that they were an "embarrassment."

Want to call me out like you did him?

I'm not calling anybody out.  And where did I say all of our fans are an embarrassment? 

I'm talking about these armchair coaches that think they know more than anyone else.  I think they are still big fans, they just dont know as much as they claim.

Oliver

I think everybody on here knows how I feel about the basketball program right now.  And despite those feelings, I couldn't be prouder of the players today.  I wholeheartedly expected them to lose by 20+ points today and for us to be run out of the gym by halftime.  They scratched, clawed, and did the best they could against a much superior Kentucky team.

Am I bragging or celebrating the fact we lost by less than 20?  Nope.
Am I happy that we lost at all?  Nope.
Did today's game change the way I feel about the basketball program or it's future?  Nope.

But I'm giving the BWA crowd and the players their props today.  They deserve it.  And I would hope that anybody, regardless of how they feel about things, would do the same.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 14, 2009, 04:09:57 pm
After he scored his first 20 points I would have tried to figure out a way to keep him from getting open.  A single player coming into BWA and putting 45 points on the Hogs is unacceptable in my mind.  No excuse for this, it should never happen....Razorback basketball should be held to a higher standard than that.  To me this is what the embarrassment is. 

I saw hands in his face all game long. He's just on another level than our guys. Actually, he's on another level than most players in all of D-1.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Swine & Cheese Club

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 14, 2009, 04:21:44 pm
I think everybody on here knows how I feel about the basketball program right now.  And despite those feelings, I couldn't be prouder of the players today.  I wholeheartedly expected them to lose by 20+ points today and for us to be run out of the gym by halftime.  They scratched, clawed, and did the best they could against a much superior Kentucky team.

Did today's game change the way I feel about the basketball program or it's future?  Nope.

But I'm giving the BWA crowd and the players their props today.  They deserve it.  And I would hope that anybody, regardless of how they feel about things, would do the same.

Good post Big "O".

djgaffer

Quote from: Hogbody on February 14, 2009, 03:55:06 pm
We were lucky to be as close as we were in the game, and the hard work shows to me at least that Pelphrey has not lost the team.

This team, at the moment, has been lost.  There is infighting on the floor, people pouting after turnovers and passes that weren't thrown.  Pelphrey dropped about 4 F bombs that the arena could hear tonight.  People aren't listening.  He grabbed Rotnei by the jersey and pulled him in front of everybody in the arena. 

The only way time it seemed we played well was when we were down 20 and would cut it to 13 or so.  I would imagine it had as much to do with a lack of urgency from Kentucky with the big lead as it did with our effort.  There were far too many open jump shots and uncontested layups for me to applaud the effort, too. 

Pel's lost the team.  It doesn't mean he can't get it back, but it's nowhere near a team as it stands today. 

jkstock04

Quote from: Hog Fan4 Life07 on February 14, 2009, 04:13:55 pm
Yeah, that thought probably never crossed our coach's mind.  ;)
LOL....one has to wonder!  He was left open several times and made us pay for it dearly.  We haven't been able to defend the 3 point perimeter all season, and today was no different.  With all this talk of moral victories, just think how much of a moral victory it may have been if we could have guarded him good and consistently all game?  Who knows, it may have come down to the wire in a close game.   
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

RazorbakEuphoricDysphoria

Wow Big O...I believe that's the nicest thing you said on Hogville!! +1

HawgAdvocate

+1
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

HawgnCorona

Good for you Oliver!! Attitude makes all the difference in the world. +1

Heck if God blesses the sun will still come up tomorrow. Lick your wounds do what you must but put the darn game behind you and get over it!!! Get on with you lives and quit whining, it will change nothing...

Its just a GAME played by a bunch of young kids who are still wet behind the ears. We all know or have an idea about how poorly this team had performed and the talent and recruiting and yes coaching have been lacking. There is no need to state the obvious...

Some of us know how to find light  at the end of a dark tunnel or how to find a silver lining in a dark cloud.

Please dont confuse being rational, analyzing the reasons behind why we arent doing well and seeing the positives with some sort of  "...a moral victory". 

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Swine & Cheese Club

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 14, 2009, 04:27:31 pm
LOL....one has to wonder!  He was left open several times and made us pay for it dearly.  We haven't been able to defend the 3 point perimeter all season, and today was no different.  With all this talk of moral victories, just think how much of a moral victory it may have been if we could have guarded him good and consistently all game?  Who knows, it may have come down to the wire in a close game.   

Have you watched Meeks play this year?  He makes shots when he's closely guarded as well as when he is wide open.  Today he made some incredible shots with people in his face.

Yeah everyone knows we don't defend the three well.  It's been mentioned on here before.  We just don't have the capabilities to defend it with who is on the floor right now.  I'm sure it is being addressed in practice.

thirtythree

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on February 14, 2009, 02:16:24 pm
Kentucky also played without their 2nd best player..UK is a two man team and half of that was gone today. We did play hard but might have lost by 25 or 30 if Patterson wouldve played, of course not having CF was a wash I guess. I just dont think Pel is gonna be able to recruit well enough to make it here.

So, what would it have been if CF played? A lot of our turnovers came because of PG play today.

Our team played hard today, all 40 minutes.  Lets look a little down the road.  Assume Washington stays next year, thats one very good player with length.  Assume Fortson realizes he is very good BB player but needs to lose the attitude and just improve as he should.  That makes us a pretty good PG.  Henry, if healthy is the wild card with this bunch.  He has no ceiling if he desires to try and reach it.  Henry can be the man.  Welsh is likely to get better but I doubt he loses the go crazy traits he has.  Still, he'll be better than this year.  Clarke will get better and tougher.  He'll learn to find ways to get his shot and he'll likely improve on defense.  Clark and Moore wil get better or quit or be fired.  I see potential in both.  Sanchez will get better but boy does he have a long way to go to handle the middle.  Britt will be a filler but likely not much more.  Our new recruits may susprise us and we may get 1 or 2 starters out of them.  I see Washington, a newcomer, Welsh, Fortson, and Henry starting next year with another 2 or 3 players from the bench playing serious minutes.  We will have a serviceable team next year if we can keep everyone and add 1 or 2.  Not a great team, but decent. 

N HOG

Quote from: 12247 on February 14, 2009, 09:59:58 pm
We will have a serviceable team next year if we can keep everyone and add 1 or 2. 

I really like that -- if EVERYTHING falls into place, then we will have a "serviceable" team next year.

My how Arkansas basketball has fallen!!