Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm proud of the way our young team competed today...

Started by Porkatarian, February 14, 2009, 02:14:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Porkatarian

We were outmanned by Kentucky, but we played hard and competed for 40 minutes today.

There's plenty of room for constructive critism for our coaching staff, but this team came into the game 1 - 8 and the SEC and still played their butts off for their coach.

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

UAfan

Marshfieldhog

Kentucky also played without their 2nd best player..UK is a two man team and half of that was gone today. We did play hard but might have lost by 25 or 30 if Patterson wouldve played, of course not having CF was a wash I guess. I just dont think Pel is gonna be able to recruit well enough to make it here.

lookawayquick

Disagree with the thought Hogs were outmanned.  We were out smarted.  Hogs have talent and heart, lack basketball IQ.  Proud of the hustle and desire but we gotta find some kids who know how to play the game.

heathtits

I never thought I'd see the day when Razorback Basketball counts moral victories.

Swine & Cheese Club

You see flashes of potential every now and then.  Not able to hunker down when it matters yet though.  Too many lapses on the defensive side of the court.

Not a terrible showing today.  WPS

N HOG

Quote from: Porkatarian on February 14, 2009, 02:14:17 pm
We were outmanned by Kentucky, but we played hard and competed for 40 minutes today.

There's plenty of room for constructive critism for our coaching staff, but this team came into the game 1 - 8 and the SEC and still played their butts off for their coach.

Porkatarian out...

Might be valid position if Patterson had played.

Without him, not so much.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: lookawayquick on February 14, 2009, 02:17:06 pm
Disagree with the thought Hogs were outmanned.  We were out smarted.  Hogs have talent and heart, lack basketball IQ.  Proud of the hustle and desire but we gotta find some kids who know how to play the game.

How many do we have on the bench?  How many did UK have on the bench?  We were outmanned.
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

HOGSWEAT

Theres no such thing as a moral victory. But if you're going to dicount the effort that the guys put in today... you, my friend, have been sipping on the kool-aid. I thought they played as well as they could. Jodie Meeks is an OUTSTANDING player. We were a few made shots from turning this around. Kentucky was better than us, that was obvious. The better team won.

beachhog

Good post Pork.  I am steamin' mad now and find it hard to post positive.

I am not happy though with our poor start and how much we lost Meeks but I am happy how we never quit. 

I miss our toughness, I miss that bad a**, hate attitude we had back in the 80's and 90's., like Beck or Day. 

3kgthog

Two programs headed in opposite directions. Clarke needs to come off the bench when we get more length. Britt is a waste. He doesn't do anything but protect the ball. We have to have some kind of offensive production from that spot. We play 4 on 5 offensively when he's in there. Finally, Henry has got to slow down as well as do some ballhandling drills in the offseason.

NEAHawgfan

Quote from: heathtits on February 14, 2009, 02:17:55 pm
I never thought I'd see the day when Razorback Basketball counts moral victories.
I agree and don't see how anybody can say we competed today. We let the one scorer they had go for 45 in our building. Another game, another step back. Give Pel consistancy points in that area. He just continues to amaze with his lack of effort in the defensive coaching area. Not that his offensive game plans are any better, but we don't guard anybody at all....ever. It's just amazing to me that everybody doesn't see what a joke this guy is.

lookawayquick

Pork - can only play five at a time.  We played 8 today, plenty of talent.  Plenty of hustle and desire.  But, every time the Hogs made a run they would make back to back bonehead plays.  Talent didn't lose it today, lack of basketball sense killed the Hogs.  And, a red hot Jodie Meeks.

TNhawgfan

Wow, the guy with a picture of Romo is calling Pel a joke. Now that's irony!
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

smedley

I think we have to keep our heads up.  Say what you want to about Pelphery, but he knows how to get our guys to work hard.  I think he's decided to look toward the future / big picture and use this season as an opportunity to teach.  (A good example of this is Fortson's suspension).  This guys are young, and learning that you never quit.  As they mature, having that foundation will be imperative to winning games.  Right now we are learning the intangible lessons.

hogzilla3

prisonhog

There is no doubt they play hard. The problem is we do not have SEC players. We lose by 16 at home to an average Kentucky team. No positives here.
"It's not the size of the Hog in the fight, but the size
of the fight in the Hog."

hogzilla3

Kentucky obviously had 1 great player, and that great player beat us by himself

beachhog

HawgnCorona

February 14, 2009, 02:40:04 pm #20 Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 02:45:11 pm by HawgnCorona
I agree, they played great...but that first half was more than they could overcome in the second half. I love a team that doesnt quit despite the odds. :)
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

N HOG

Quote from: UAfan on February 14, 2009, 02:15:13 pm
Agreed.  They didn't quit.

So, explain something to me -- if we had quit, how much would we have lost by -- 25, 30, 35?

HawgnCorona

Quote from: hogzilla3 on February 14, 2009, 02:29:35 pm
I hate moral victories and excuses

okay, thats fine. would it be fair to say you love to wallow in the mire?
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

NEAHawgfan

Quote from: TNhawgfan on February 14, 2009, 02:29:17 pm
Wow, the guy with a picture of Romo is calling Pel a joke. Now that's irony!
Well........I can't argue with that.

Heightshog

Man i just hope we're able to double our conference win total next season.

jkstock04

Quote from: Porkatarian on February 14, 2009, 02:14:17 pm

Porkatarian out...
Really?  I mean ya I saw them hustle today also, they were putting forth some effort....but proud isn't even close to how I felt about the game.  I may very well be living in the past...but this is Hog basketball, and with the Razorback basketball team there is no such thing as a moral victory in my mind.  Use to, if a team squeeked by with a victory in the Bud...they were very very fortunate to do so, and I don't care who it was we were playing.  Nowadays it's the norm, and the players and fans are getting accustomed to it.

We let a guy come into our house and put up FORTY FIVE points....we're lucky he didn't go off for 60.  That is a new Bud Walton Arena record.  Thats all I need to know about today's game. 
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hogzilla3

Quote from: Heightshog on February 14, 2009, 02:46:41 pm
putting tough expectations on the team already for next year

beachhog

in all honesty not many teams could win with our lineup today.  we are a soft team and have no depth. 

WBOBO

If calling a 9 point win over Bama and a 2 point loss to Tenn in this conferene a victory.  Those are the only two games which we have been close.

My theory is this summer let Rotnei come to Pine Bluff and play a few pickup games, and send the rest of the team to Rotnei's dad to learn how to shoot FREE throws.  DANG, at least make your free throws.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

Kenny Dowell Loggains

proud of our young team?  were we watching the same game?  we got straight up man-handled!

Hot_Town_Hog

With Fortson out today, we all knew deep down this would be a tough one to pull out. I thought the guys we did have dressed out played extremely hard and wanted to win. There is no way to deny the effort was there today.

The recruiting and discipline issues are another story, and I am not sure what all is going on with that. All I know is we need a couple of key players in this year's class and hope Fortson and Wash are back next year.

HawgAdvocate

Washington played way more minutes than he should have. He was gassed for most of the 2nd half. We weren't able to use him in the post due to his exhaustion.

Henry hada double-double and had 5 steals. Welsh tried his damnedest to stay with Meeks, and he made a ton of hustle plays. Meeks was unreal today though.

We had very few second chance points today. I wish we could rebound better.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

roundball

Quote from: heathtits on February 14, 2009, 02:17:55 pm

I was thinking the same thing! +1

WBOBO

Why can't WE  get a guy that scores 40 plus points.  Why can't Arkansas get a guy that's been
in the weight room like Kentucy players.  We have 2 guys, Welsh and Fortson who are cut, and the
rest......

Look at the picture of Big Nasty in the Demozette, and look at our players now.  Big Difference.   That was 15 years ago guys!

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: WBOBO on February 14, 2009, 03:25:02 pm
Why can't WE  get a guy that scores 40 plus points.  Why can't Arkansas get a guy that's been
in the weight room like Kentucy players.  We have 2 guys, Welsh and Fortson who are cut, and the
rest......

Look at the picture of Big Nasty in the Demozette, and look at our players now.  Big Difference.   That was 15 years ago guys!

Meeks is a lot like Washington. They both came out of nowhere this offseason. Meeks is off the charts this year though.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

roundball

Quote from: Heightshog on February 14, 2009, 02:46:41 pm

That woud put us at 2 wins next year..lol! I think if Pelphrey doesn't go at least 6-10, 7-9 next year their may be a change.. We've got to get a PF and bigger guards..period!!!

heathtits

Quote from: WBOBO on February 14, 2009, 03:25:02 pm
rest......

Look at the picture of Big Nasty in the Demozette, and look at our players now.  Big Difference.   That was 15 years ago guys!

As LJ would say "Get you some men!"

HUNGRYHAWG

Quote from: beachhog on February 14, 2009, 02:39:36 pm
we had no pg and no defense, bad combination.

True!  Our bench didn't help anything either.  Let's see, a golfer, ex-football ex-basketball player, and our best player who apparently is so messed up he cant dress out or practice.  Someone tell me something positive!

WBOBO

Meeks is a guy who CBS  in love with.  Did you not see the guy set what I call a  true pick and it knocked our guy down.  That is a pick.  Do you not see our lame as##  picks.  Poor coaching is
all I can say.

heathtits

Quote from: WBOBO on February 14, 2009, 03:39:53 pm
Meeks is a guy who CBS  in love with.  Did you not see the guy set what I call a  true pick and it knocked our guy down.  That is a pick.  Do you not see our lame as##  picks.  Poor coaching is
all I can say.

He's dropped 45 and 54 at TN and AR. Whats not to love? He appears to be the real deal.

He has three 40+ point games and an astonishing 7 30+ point games.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: WBOBO on February 14, 2009, 03:39:53 pm
all I can say.

Kentucky had some big boys out there. Our bigs are more finesse players.

Hogbody

some of our "fans" on here embarrass me. 

We were lucky to be as close as we were in the game, and the hard work shows to me at least that Pelphrey has not lost the team.

Henry is going to be an All-SEC performer before he is done, as will Courtney.  We need to get some players to go with them and we will be dangerous.  I also think Rotnei will get better, especially if he can come of the bench and not have to play so many minutes.

razorback93

This is, I think, the worst defensive team I have seen at AR.  I agree that there is SOME talent, but not enough to overcome a lack of basketball IQ.  I proud of the effort, but they can play better.  The things that they can do better aren't talent realated.  Once again, rebounding and 3-pt defense.  They got outscored 33-12 I believe from the three point line.  They lost by 16 thanks to cheap layups at the end.  I never played organized bball, but how can a team not figure out how to guard the 3pt shot.  Also, they have struggled to rebound especially keeping team off the glass at key times.

heathtits

Quote from: Hogbody on February 14, 2009, 03:55:06 pm
some of our "fans" on here embarrass me. 

We were lucky to be as close as we were in the game, and the hard work shows to me at least that Pelphrey has not lost the team.

Henry is going to be an All-SEC performer before he is done, as will Courtney.  We need to get some players to go with them and we will be dangerous.  I also think Rotnei will get better, especially if he can come of the bench and not have to play so many minutes.

How about the 19000 fans in BWA? The fan base is fine.

There is nothing wrong with being extremely pissed when you give up an Arena record for single scoring on national TV. Or the fact that we had 8 guys dressed out and got totally whooped.

We aren't even competing and we're calling a 16 point home loss a positive. The reaction is quite normal and more or less expected. Even Wilson has mentioned this.

Get over this unloyal fan nonsense its stupid and more dividing than anything.

cthog99

i also saw a crowd that stuck behind their team even though we were down by 20 with about 6 minutes to go.

Hogbody

Quote from: heathtits on February 14, 2009, 03:59:33 pm

There is nothing wrong with being extremely pissed when you give up an Arena record for single scoring on national TV. Or the fact that we had 8 guys dressed out and got totally whooped.

We aren't even competing and we're calling a 16 point home loss a positive. The reaction is quite normal and more or less expected. Even Wilson has mentioned this.

I didnt say any were unloyal, maybe you should learn to read better.

Wayne Watson

Quote from: heathtits on February 14, 2009, 03:59:33 pm

What did you expect today?  The guys played hard all game.  They got "whooped" because they were tired from no depth.  Plus Meeks was on fire today. 
Take a look at http://gridironhistory.com/
IF YOU DON'T TAILGATE WITH HOGVILLE...YOU HAVEN'T BEEN TO A TAILGATE!
Check out www.fearlessfriday.com
We don't rent pigs

WilsonHog

Quote from: Hogbody on February 14, 2009, 04:01:28 pm
I didnt say any were unloyal, maybe you should learn to read better.

No, what you said is that they were an "embarrassment."

Want to call me out like you did him?

jkstock04

Quote from: wayne1958 on February 14, 2009, 04:03:59 pm
Plus Meeks was on fire today. 
After he scored his first 20 points I would have tried to figure out a way to keep him from getting open.  A single player coming into BWA and putting 45 points on the Hogs is unacceptable in my mind.  No excuse for this, it should never happen....Razorback basketball should be held to a higher standard than that.  To me this is what the embarrassment is. 
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

heathtits

February 14, 2009, 04:11:57 pm #49 Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 04:19:03 pm by heathtits
Quote from: wayne1958 on February 14, 2009, 04:03:59 pm
What did you expect today?  The guys played hard all game.  They got "whooped" because they were tired from no depth.  Plus Meeks was on fire today. 

I was fully prepared for what happened. And yes I've acknowledged the fact that they played hard.

I'm simply trying to refute the notion that fans who are pissed and are having a bit of a rave are disloyal or bad fans and that they more or less have the right to do so. I'm totally against player bashing and the sort, but criticism is obviously to be expected.

I'm tired of hearing the phrases "so called fans" and "fans" in quotations and fans bashing other fans. Thats the last thing we need. Even if the entire fan base realizes we lack depth and experience it still leaves us at 1-9 in the SEC and some people will be angrier than others.

As long as it doesn't violate forum rules, let them blow some steam. Wilson has already made this clear, I just want to be clear on what I'm talking about concerning hogbody.