Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

our biggest problem i see

Started by hvsupastar, February 14, 2009, 02:01:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hvsupastar

our guys are exhausted. The depth chart is killin us. Its 7 guys versus 12
"Do not believe everything you read on the internet just because it has quotations next to the image of someone prominent" - Abraham Lincoln

smedley

I agree. Depth is hurting us right now.  That is something that can only be fixed with time.  We need a deeper bench, and more experience.  Our freshmen don't know how to pace themselves, and by the end of the game no one has enough left to win the rebound fight.

Conway Hog

Quote from: hvsupastar on February 14, 2009, 02:01:26 pm
our guys are exhausted. The depth chart is killin us. Its 7 guys versus 12

Just another excuse (bench, freshmen) for bad performance!! 
The  democracy will cease to exist when you take away from  those who are willing to work and give to those who would  not.
Thomas Jefferson

The  tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the  blood of patriots and  tyrants.
Thomas  Jefferson

Vandyhog4

The biggest problem I see with this team is that they cannot shoot or play defense.  4 of 22 (18%) from 3-point and 13-22 (59%) from the line is inexcusable when playing at home.  Being exhausted may have something to do with that, but I have my doubts.  Jodie Meeks played 37 minutes and looked like he could have played another 100.  I think the depth problem has less to do with players being tired and more to do with freshmen replacing freshmen.   

However, I liked parts of what I saw.  As Brando and Raftery pointed out our guys didn't look like they quit, when they easily could have.  They were also very high on Pel, and, although many on the board don't agree, I can see why they think our future is promising.  Barring any transfers/defections, the addition of Powell and maturation of Clark(no e), Sanchez, and Moore should provide more depth and experience down low.  Hopefully we can add a little length on the perimeter and step up the defense (which shouldn't be hard considering they currently play none).  I really like what I've seen from Henry the last few games.  I cannot wait to see him next year when he is hopefully healthy.           

hogzilla3

There are bigger problems than just exhaustion with this team, (shooting the 3, defending the 3, play execution, basketball IQ, players that can score and create their own shot to just name a few)

N HOG

Quote from: Vandyhog4 on February 14, 2009, 02:39:04 pm
The biggest problem I see with this team is that they cannot shoot or play defense.           

Doesn't that pretty well cover it? No offense and no defense. What is left?

hogzilla3

Quote from: N HOG on February 14, 2009, 02:43:51 pm
Doesn't that pretty well cover it? No offense and no defense. What is left?

enough said right there

Vandyhog4

Quote from: hogzilla3 on February 14, 2009, 02:53:27 pm
enough said right there

That's about as frank and eloquent of a diagnosis of this team as I could come up with.  Everything else is just details.  Good teams have to do one or the other very well.  Great teams do both.  Sadly, this team does neither. 

W_KY_Hog

All we need is five more players....
really good ones.

shankin6

I'm not quite sure why the assumption on this board is that a coach should be able to take a team of Freshman and turn them into an All SEC Offense and Defensive team.  This is about as rational as a Freshman level Biology teacher saying, "ok this student has one year of class under his belt, how about we let him into UAMS next year and after he completes that year of class lets set him free in a hospital and see how he does, surely he'll be ready by then."  You absolutely can not expect a group of players one year removed from high-school to compete day in and day out in the SEC.  Yes, I'm making an excuse for Pel, but really its a reality Pel faces each day at practice.  Even if we had a one and done type talent it would just delay this year by 365 days.  Things will get better

WBChogfan

Quote from: HogBloggerJr on February 14, 2009, 04:24:12 pm
I'm not quite sure why the assumption on this board is that a coach should be able to take a team of Freshman and turn them into an All SEC Offense and Defensive team.  This is about as rational as a Freshman level Biology teacher saying, "ok this student has one year of class under his belt, how about we let him into UAMS next year and after he completes that year of class lets set him free in a hospital and see how he does, surely he'll be ready by then."  You absolutely can not expect a group of players one year removed from high-school to compete day in and day out in the SEC.  Yes, I'm making an excuse for Pel, but really its a reality Pel faces each day at practice.  Even if we had a one and done type talent it would just delay this year by 365 days.  Things will get better

There is a fundamental flaw in your argument.  These players are not new to basketball.  You can't compare the practice of medicine to freshman biology.  You can, however, compare basketball played by freshman and basketball played by seniors.  Why?  It's the exact same sport.  Experience differs, but inexperience is not a universal excuse. 

I don't think anyone is expecting All-SEC.  But is it really expecting too much to want to win 4 or 5 SEC games?

PorkPusher

Why are they exhausted?  Pelphrey has 13 timeouts available per game plus another 5 possible from opponents coach.  Maybe our guys just aren't in shape.  Surely they should be expected to play 3 minute at a time.

hogifino

Right on, most in the know knew this was going to be a tough year.  I don't hear Pel making excuses nor the players.  When we were looking for a coach the armchair group wanted a tough, disciplined coach who could recruit.  He has recruited one class.  We will know more in a year.
Quote from: HogBloggerJr on February 14, 2009, 04:24:12 pm