Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Pelphrey is delusional if he thinks the fans will continue.....

Started by Boarcephus, February 14, 2009, 06:27:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Boarcephus

to show up and support his program just because it's Arkansas.  In Bob Holts article today he says JP remains confident the fans will show up in full force for UK today.   "Our fans are what makes this so special to a part of.  That's why we're so honored  to be here."

I've got some news for Pelphrey....the Arkansas fans quit Danny Ford and they quit Stan Heath.   If he continues to recruit players with "questionable character issues" that he can't keep on the court and we keep getting drummed by teams like Auburn, they'll quit him as well.  If you don't win, especially in basketball, the fans will find other things to do instead of sitting in the stands watching an inferior product.  Matter of fact, it's already starting.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Boarcephus

I think this is a time he needs to take his own advice, STFU, and play ball.
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Lanny

Been nice if Pelphrey said I plan to fire Ostrom after the season and hire someone that knows how to recruit and coach.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Baconator

Quote from: Lanny on February 14, 2009, 06:57:41 am
Been nice if Pelphrey said I plan to fire Ostrom after the season and hire someone that knows how to recruit and coach.

What do you think the odds are that Ostrom does not return for next season?

Boarcephus

Or say what Stan said after getting drilled by Ole Miss his first year, I'll go out, get some better players and be back.

SLC

Well, I'll be there today. 

And I'll take my whippen like a man too. 

Pelphrey is smarter than anyone is giving him credit.  Hell, my 87 year old grandma knows he needs better players so I am sure Pel knows what he needs to succeed. 

The question is whether he can get them.
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

thirtythree

JP is in a no win situation right now. He did great last year with a very heavy laden senior class and lost them all +1 (PB). I count this season as season #1 because of that reason alone. He has had to start over. There is no question that the Razorback fans want a better product on the court and they are not wrong for wanting it. I would like to see JP get the same chance that BP got in football. Give him a season or two and see where we are at then.

These kids have shown they can play. They have no help, so they get very tired during the game. How many of you can go out there and do what they do after all the practice and hard play that they do?

Give them a break. There have been some bright spots and there have been some bad ones. Just give them a chance and see what happens. If the fans fail them, I can promise you that recruiting will get tougher. If recruits see fans that support their team in adversity then they are more likely to come than not. Example: Football. It was stated many times from recruits.

TNhawgfan

That seems to be the growing sentiment among hog fans, but I just don't see JP firing someone that is like family to him. Then again, he is smart enough to know he has to do something to get this mess turned around
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

Jowls

Quote from: thirtythree on February 14, 2009, 07:50:03 am
JP is in a no win situation right now. He did great last year with a very heavy laden senior class and lost them all +1 (PB). I count this season as season #1 because of that reason alone. He has had to start over. There is no question that the Razorback fans want a better product on the court and they are not wrong for wanting it. I would like to see JP get the same chance that BP got in football. Give him a season or two and see where we are at then.

These kids have shown they can play. They have no help, so they get very tired during the game. How many of you can go out there and do what they do after all the practice and hard play that they do?

Give them a break. There have been some bright spots and there have been some bad ones. Just give them a chance and see what happens. If the fans fail them, I can promise you that recruiting will get tougher. If recruits see fans that support their team in adversity then they are more likely to come than not. Example: Football. It was stated many times from recruits.

End of story. +1
I.D.I.C.

claycohog

When are you people going to figure out that we are going to get better no time soon.  LISTEN TO US, WE ARE TRYING TO TELL YOU IT'S BAD AND NOT GOING TO GET BETTER.  IT"S GETTING WORSE AS EACH DAY PASSES!

More people will be on the same page about 2:30 this afternoon.  Not only do members need to read what is being posted, but more importantly who is making these posts.

SLC

Oh, this season is lost, I think everyone understands that.   

Next season is not though.  Nor is the sky falling.   
I need your truthful reply - lie, I will know it... and death will be no respite.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Boarcephus on February 14, 2009, 06:27:21 am
to show up and support his program just because it's Arkansas.  In Bob Holts article today he says JP remains confident the fans will show up in full force for UK today.   "Our fans are what makes this so special to a part of.  That's why we're so honored  to be here."

I've got some news for Pelphrey....the Arkansas fans quit Danny Ford and they quit Stan Heath.   If he continues to recruit players with "questionable character issues" that he can't keep on the court and we keep getting drummed by teams like Auburn, they'll quit him as well.  If you don't win, especially in basketball, the fans will find other things to do instead of sitting in the stands watching an inferior product.  Matter of fact, it's already starting.

Worst fans in America.  Largest bandwagon contingent in America.  Must win for anyone to show up.  Pathetic.

alwaysahogfan33

Quote from: The Hogfather on February 14, 2009, 08:31:38 am
Worst fans in America.  Largest bandwagon contingent in America.  Must win for anyone to show up.  Pathetic.

I still think we have a great fanbase and it will show up again today at Bud Walton.  Every program has these types of people within it, we are just lucky that we also have a larger number of fans who will continue to support this team no matter what.  That is what seperates the razorback nation from so many other schools.  Let these guys sit behind the message board and type over and over that the sky is falling and they knew all along.  I for one only pray that when JP gets this turned around, they still sit behind the computer and stay as far away as possible from our razorbacks!

jharwell

Quote from: claycohog on February 14, 2009, 08:16:04 am
When are you people going to figure out that we are going to get better no time soon.  LISTEN TO US, WE ARE TRYING TO TELL YOU IT'S BAD AND NOT GOING TO GET BETTER.  IT"S GETTING WORSE AS EACH DAY PASSES!

More people will be on the same page about 2:30 this afternoon.  Not only do members need to read what is being posted, but more importantly who is making these posts.

I wish you would give us a little more insight. I have been reading posts for a couple of hours now and still cant figure out what in the #(## you are talking about?
- Jason

Lard

Most of the people who get on this message and bitch and moan about the basketball and/or football programs aren't alumni of the University and aren't regular attendees to the games.  I understand there are some who gripe that fit both categories but by-and-large that's not the case.  We have one of those fanbases like Alabama........small alumni base but large fanbase made up of people all over the state with their only attachment to the University being its athletic programs.
"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

jschulte

Kentucky -- they have some good (basketball) fans.  Rain or shine, they pack out that stadium.  They have been going through a rough half a dozen years... but have still stuck by their team.

Razorod

what they've gone through doesn't remotely compare to what hog fans have gone in regard to severity or length of time. if you think this board is bad or this fanbase is bad, just imagine what ky fans would be like if they had to endure what hog fans have endured for the past fourteen seasons.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

The Boar War

Quote from: jschulte on February 14, 2009, 09:32:57 am
Kentucky -- they have some good (basketball) fans.  Rain or shine, they pack out that stadium.  They have been going through a rough half a dozen years... but have still stuck by their team.

Please don't try and compare Kentucky's "rough" half a dozen years with our little to show for the last ten years.  If Kentucky fans were in this situation they would have burned Rupp Arena to the ground about six years ago.  Go look at their message boards after they lost to Gardner Webb.  It was much more brutal than anything you would read on here during our current 1 and counting stretch.

Beaverfever

Yeah saying we need to stop bitching and be more like Kentucky fans is out of touch with reality.  Their fans are some cutthroat SOBs.  They just have been somewhat subdued lately because they like BCG and think things are going in a good direction but don't be fooled, they are not a rational/patient fanbase.

WilsonHog

I don't believe that Arkansas fans are inherently hard on coaches. We tend to go over the top in our support for them and, conversely, sometimes over the top in our criticism of them. Both stem from the passion we have for the Razorbacks.

I'm not looking at our program now in terms of wins and losses. Not this year. When it comes to this program - at this juncture - I am looking for three things from Pel:

(1) We leave it all on the court each time out;

(2) We get better each game, or at least week to week; and

(3) We upgrade recruiting by way of not taking chances on academically marginal/poor character kids.

Razorod

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 14, 2009, 10:20:04 am
I don't believe that Arkansas fans are inherently hard on coaches. We tend to go over the top in our support for them and, conversely, sometimes over the top in our criticism of them. Both stem from the passion we have for the Razorbacks.

I'm not looking at our program now in terms of wins and losses. Not this year. When it comes to this program - at this juncture - I am looking for three things from Pel:

(3) We upgrade recruiting by way of not taking chances on academically marginal/poor character kids.

what's interesting is that one of the two recruits on campus this weekend is a juco who was suspended from Bama.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

WilsonHog

Quote from: Razorod on February 14, 2009, 10:27:56 am
what's interesting is that one of the two recruits on campus this weekend is a juco who was suspended from Bama.

That doesn't give me a great deal of comfort.

touchdownark

to show up and support his program just because it's Arkansas.  In Bob Holts article today he says JP remains confident the fans will show up in full force for UK today.   "Our fans are what makes this so special to a part of.  That's why we're so honored  to be here."

I've got some news for Pelphrey....the Arkansas fans quit Danny Ford and they quit Stan Heath.   If he continues to recruit players with "questionable character issues" that he can't keep on the court and we keep getting drummed by teams like Auburn, they'll quit him as well.  If you don't win, especially in basketball, the fans will find other things to do instead of sitting in the stands watching an inferior product.  Matter of fact, it's already starting.
what the hell do you want him to say"Our fans shouldnt show up because we are going to get our ass whooped"

Buck Brewer

Pel did no better than Stan would have last year. He had to have a strong showing in the SEC Tourney to solidify a bid. He got a really good break when he landed a name in Indiana that was falling apart at the seams and then got drilled by UNC.

What he should have said was, "I'm in over my head. I've relied on an unproven brown noser to be my right hand man. I'll step down immediately. Coach Evans, who is far more qualified than I, will finish this season as coach. I should have not shoved him aside and listened to him and not Ostrom. I couldn't overachieve."

PorkerOinker

Do you people not understand what rebuilding a program means. You do not rebuild a program with not talent hacks that are perfect students and prefect citizens. Now I do not want any players that aren't going to be team players and are going to be out getting in trouble every weekend and getting suspended either, but he is going to have to take more chances than some of you might like on some players to get the type of talent in here to rebuild this program. Last time I checked 5 star basketball recruits were not beating down the door wanting to come to Arkansas and play basketball, not even when Nolan was here. It is going to take time and there are going to be some recruiting casualties more than we would like, but it will turn around and it will be under John Pelphrey. Hogville's Jump Ball problem is too many of its posters are football first people that make excuses all football season for CBP, when he is struggling with a new team, but they do not want to afford coach CJP the same opportunity to rebuild his program that they are willing to give CBP, as the above poster said earlier this is basically year one for John last year should not count in any way. Give the man time and it will turn around I guarantee you.
"America promises equal opportunity, not equal outcomes"-Paul Ryan

Marc Maggard

Quote from: The Boar War on February 14, 2009, 09:50:52 am
Please don't try and compare Kentucky's "rough" half a dozen years with our little to show for the last ten years.  If Kentucky fans were in this situation they would have burned Rupp Arena to the ground about six years ago.  Go look at their message boards after they lost to Gardner Webb.  It was much more brutal than anything you would read on here during our current 1 and counting stretch.

Bad half a dozen years?  UK won more regular season games than any team in the country from 03-05.  It was a good 3 year stretch.    Only Tubby's last couple years were bad.....

mm

claycohog

Quote from: WilsonHog on February 14, 2009, 10:20:04 am

You're 0-3.

Beaverfever

Quote from: Marc Maggard on February 14, 2009, 10:50:20 am

Bad half a dozen years?  UK won more regular season games than any team in the country from 03-05.  It was a good 3 year stretch.    Only Tubby's last couple years were bad.....

mm
That's what I was thinking.  The last few years has been the only period in my life where kentucky wasn't dominant.

Buck Brewer

Quote from: PorkerOinker on February 14, 2009, 10:47:32 am
Do you people not understand what rebuilding a program means. You do not rebuild a program with not talent hacks that are perfect students and prefect citizens. Now I do not want any players that aren't going to be team players and are going to be out getting in trouble every weekend and getting suspended either, but he is going to have to take more chances than some of you might like on some players to get the type of talent in here to rebuild this program. Last time I checked 5 star basketball recruits were not beating down the door wanting to come to Arkansas and play basketball, not even when Nolan was here. It is going to take time and there are going to be some recruiting casualties more than we would like, but it will turn around and it will be under John Pelphrey. Hogville's Jump Ball problem is too many of its posters are football first people that make excuses all football season for CBP, when he is struggling with a new team, but they do not want to afford coach CJP the same opportunity to rebuild his program that they are willing to give CBP, as the above poster said earlier this is basically year one for John last year should not count in any way. Give the man time and it will turn around I guarantee you.

It should take half the time to rebuild a collegiate basketball program than a football program given the number of players on a team and the higher "leave early" than that of collegiate football. Not many coaches have a chance to go out and get 6 guys that you want to run your system as Pel had. And to shoe no improvement along the way is making it worse.

jkstock04

I've been on here a while guys...and one thing I've learned is Clayco somehow has an inside scoop and knows what he's talking about.  I think we should listen.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

fineswine

Quote from: SherlockHog on February 14, 2009, 10:34:04 am
Pel did no better than Stan would have last year. He had to have a strong showing in the SEC Tourney to solidify a bid. He got a really good break when he landed a name in Indiana that was falling apart at the seams and then got drilled by UNC.

What he should have said was, "I'm in over my head. I've relied on an unproven brown noser to be my right hand man. I'll step down immediately. Coach Evans, who is far more qualified than I, will finish this season as coach. I should have not shoved him aside and listened to him and not Ostrom. I couldn't overachieve."
You have a lot of nerve calling yourself "Sherlock" when you obviously don't have a clue.

jkstock04

Throw in the faltering economy and very questionable rise in ticket costs into the equation and that only adds to the negative.  I wonder if Jeff Long is questioning his decision to up the ticket costs this year?
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Hot_Town_Hog

Quote from: Lard on February 14, 2009, 09:21:35 am
Most of the people who get on this message and bitch and moan about the basketball and/or football programs aren't alumni of the University and aren't regular attendees to the games.  I understand there are some who gripe that fit both categories but by-and-large that's not the case.  We have one of those fanbases like Alabama........small alumni base but large fanbase made up of people all over the state with their only attachment to the University being its athletic programs.

I was a diehard Razorback fan long before my College days ever began. Your statement in bold is exactly what makes the Razorbacks such a unique and well supported program unlike any other in the Country.

HawgWild

Quote from: SherlockHog on February 14, 2009, 10:34:04 am

I can't disagree with this statement. Haven't see many on the board say it but it wasn't out of the realm of possibility for Stan to have done this given that each year the won/loss record improved under his coaching, albeit at a snail's pace. Last year's team won 2 more games than Stan's last team. Go ahead, smite me!  ;D

HawgAdvocate

February 14, 2009, 03:53:46 pm #35 Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 03:56:32 pm by HawgAdvocate

So instead of screaming at us that the sky is falling, without telling us why, perhaps you should tell us how to prevent it, and why your solutions are necessary.

You want us all to blindly fall in line with a "fire Ostrom" chant, yet we're all still confused how this one guy can be such a cancer.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Hogbody

Too bad he's the lead recruiter for the best guys we are on

Lard

Quote from: Hogbody on February 14, 2009, 04:00:06 pm
Too bad he's the lead recruiter for the best guys we are on
Too bad that the best guys we are on are not that good.
"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny."
-Thomas Jefferson

"Always vote for principle, though you may vote alone, and you may cherish the sweetest reflection that your vote is never lost." - John Quincy Adams

Hogbody

Quote from: Lard on February 14, 2009, 08:23:41 pm
Too bad that the best guys we are on are not that good.

how can you say Powell isnt good?  His main thing seems to be getting eligible

Lard

Quote from: Hogbody on February 14, 2009, 08:26:52 pm
how can you say Powell isnt good?  His main thing seems to be getting eligible
Go to scout....look at our prospects....look at our three commits.....now go to Kentucky and look at their commits and prospects.....look at Duke's....we are a mid-major compared to them.
-Thomas Jefferson

Hogbody

Quote from: Lard on February 14, 2009, 08:32:29 pm
Go to scout....look at our prospects....look at our three commits.....now go to Kentucky and look at their commits and prospects.....look at Duke's....we are a mid-major compared to them.

so is almost every other school in the country, compared to them

Coondog Hog

Quote from: thirtythree on February 14, 2009, 07:50:03 am

+1

I agree with all of this.  I would like to see them in transition more though it's the one thing the have shown signs of success in.
'The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.'
  - Ronald Reagan

'If we ever forget that we're one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.' -
-Ronald Reagan
Quote from: mmhogs17 on March 08, 2011, 11:02:18 pm
I've had alot of things in and out of my butt, but never Monkeys..

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Hogbody on February 14, 2009, 09:03:42 pm
so is almost every other school in the country, compared to them

+1 Hogbody.

We aren't in the 1990's anymore. Coach K didn't even build his empire overnight.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

forrest city joe

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on February 14, 2009, 10:08:09 pm
+1 Hogbody.

We aren't in the 1990's anymore. Coach K didn't even build his empire overnight.
You excuse makers just keep going on and on about how we cant do this and we cant do that. and we should all just be happy. the only way im ever going to be happy is when we are winning again. and im not buying any of your excuses.

chiefsfan

the minute we start comparing ourselves to Duke is the minute hog fans have become delusional

We are not Duke, We are not North Carolina.  we could go to 3 straight final fours and still be a reach to even be at the Duke UNC Level

comparing us to duke is ridiculous.   the only teams we should compare oursevles too are the 11 other SEC teams.  we're not going to win a National title anytime soon
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

Oliver

Quote from: chiefsfan on February 15, 2009, 12:04:29 am
the minute we start comparing ourselves to Duke is the minute hog fans have become delusional

We are not Duke, We are not North Carolina.  we could go to 3 straight final fours and still be a reach to even be at the Duke UNC Level

comparing us to duke is ridiculous.   the only teams we should compare oursevles too are the 11 other SEC teams.  we're not going to win a National title anytime soon

There was a point in time Duke fans were saying this.

The Boar War

Quote from: Marc Maggard on February 14, 2009, 10:50:20 am

mm

I agree.  I was referencing the earlier post where the writer tried to compare Kentucky and Arkansas by saying "Kentucky has been going through a rough half a dozen years...".  Thats why I put rough in quotations. 

Hogbody

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 15, 2009, 12:06:59 am
There was a point in time Duke fans were saying this.

We could get there, but it would take a decade of sustained success to be on that level.  That would take a while.

TNhawgfan

Quote from: Hogbody on February 15, 2009, 01:33:42 am
We could get there, but it would take a decade of sustained success to be on that level.  That would take a while.
All we would need is one of the greatest coaches and recruiters of all time. Any comparison with Duke should stop when you realize Coach K will one day pass Knight to have the most victories all time for the men (he won't catch Summitt).
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

SLC

Quote from: Hogbody on February 15, 2009, 01:33:42 am

Yes, might as well start as soon as possible.