Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Courtney's mother comments on the suspension

Started by MrKnowItAll, February 13, 2009, 06:08:29 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MrKnowItAll

http://www.nwaonline.net/articles/2009/02/13/razorback_central/021309uabkbfortson.txt

Fortson's mother, Lorraine, provided a few more details when contacted by The Morning News on Thursday.

She attended the Auburn game and said Pelphrey told her afterward he was considering "disciplining" her son because of some recent attitude issues. Fortson called and told her of the suspension early Thursday.

Trojan

Nice to see she has the attitude of do what it takes to make my son better.  Many fans and parents make their kids out to be finished products and truth is they need help along the way.  Trouble is most in charge are afraid to do the right thing because of the fear of making the kid mad and of course the backlash of parents and fans like you read about on here.

HawgWild

"I think he might have needed this done to him so he could get a reality check," Fortson said. "Sometimes kids need a reality check. But I guarantee you he'll come out of this a warrior. He'll learn from this." Lorraine Fortson.

Razorbacks_77

Quote from: HawgWild on February 13, 2009, 07:48:19 am
"I think he might have needed this done to him so he could get a reality check," Fortson said. "Sometimes kids need a reality check. But I guarantee you he'll come out of this a warrior. He'll learn from this." Lorraine Fortson.
That is great to hear from Fortson's mom. And hopefully he will be all the better for this suspension.

The Hogfather

Oliver

I'm glad to read comments like this from Fortson's mom.  I really hope that she's correct about this absolutely changing Fortson's attitude.  We need Courtney Fortson the next few years.

10thPlanet

Great Mom! Tough love, hard to take and give.

Corkscrew Johnson

This is why Pelphrey suspends players:

"Sometimes kids need a reality check. But I guarantee you he'll come out of this a warrior. He'll learn from this."

PeabodyHawg

I appreciate Mrs. Fortson's attitude and obvious class.  With this level of mentoring, Courtney should come out of this situation a better person and B'ball player. (Just wish it didn't have to happen right before K-Y comes to the Bud).

Torqued pork

It sounds like Courtney has a good mom. I hope we will see a more mature young man when he comes back.

Hoggish1

Mrs. fortson's additude and words are refreshing and encouraging.  I was in a deep funk till I read them. 

This may all work out for the best if he comes back with fire and discipline.  He's had the fire all season except for when he started to pout, but he's never had enough of the discipline to go along with it.

Razorvet

I am amazed that thier are still parents this classy out there. No excuse making. Thats so refreshing.

swinesation

That is a great lesson for a parent to teach a kid: you can disagree with someone and still appreciate them, respect them, and follow their orders. That's a life lesson that many people never learn.

Wahls

Imagine our society if we all had parents like this.

Imagine Arkansas right now if some parents from Springdale were like that.
Quote from: A.Ziffle on April 20, 2012, 10:39:01 pm
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

Oliver

Quote from: thewahls7 on February 13, 2009, 10:25:43 am

Still bitter Teresa?

pigture perfect

I agree with one thing. CF will come out of this a better man. He will be a success at whatever he does with a mom like that making sure of it.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Pastor_Hog

Thank you to both Coach Pel and Lorraine for helping a young man who needs direction.  I hate it personally b/c I will watch the Hogs this Saturday for the first time live this year and I was looking forward to seeing Courtney play.  Oh well, this will be what is best for Courtney and the team in the long run.
Watch the Hogs on Saturday and worship Jesus on Sunday.

jnhogs

fortson and other players will earn resport for phel from this too... benching him before a big game send a message that he's NOT going to take that kind of crap... players will respect the 'tough love'

Jacob "2 Scoops" Johnson

We need more mothers like Fortson's in the world, thats for sure.
ched come back pls

linze82

wow, what an awesome mom. makes me realize that this kid is gonna be ok. he has had a great mother instilling values in him his whole life. he will come out of this a better player/person
smite me bishes

rude1

Nice to see the parent backing the coaches decision even though her son doesn't think it was right. In a day and age when most college athlete's parents are concerned about their son or daughter getting playing time and looking good so they can make it to the next level, it's refreshing to hear from a mom who seems more concerned about her son becoming a good human being. Good read.

razorbackfan

It's great to hear thing's like this from his mom...Too bad she's not mom to some people on here that whine & throw tantrum's & in the same breath call a player that does the same thing on the court or in the locker room a thug...No class

hei5manhog

Quote from: Pastor_Hog on February 13, 2009, 10:44:14 am
Thank you to both Coach Pel and Lorraine for helping a young man who needs direction.  I hate it personally b/c I will watch the Hogs this Saturday for the first time live this year and I was looking forward to seeing Courtney play.  Oh well, this will be what is best for Courtney and the team in the long run.

No worries, I heard Clarke was going to drop 30. I'll be there, let's make it loud for the boys out on the court!
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

BleedsBlue

Guys, I know you are going through a tough time.  This article just reminds me again that you have the right coach.  Give him a little time.  Our fans are less impatient than you guys with our struggles this year, so I can feel a little of your pain.  From the article it sounds like it could be a life lesson and Pel is trying to get it corrected this year so it will not be a problem down the road.  Hang in there.  We will (probably) be without Patterson Saturday so the CBS audience will miss seeing him and Fortson play.  Cats and Hogs on CBS takes me back to the Super Bowl Sunday games back in the 90's.  Good luck Saturday.

hillhog

Imagine Arkansas right now if all coaches had the class Pel appears to have. We sure had one that had NO class.

Porkatarian

Better late than never.  ;)

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

RZRBack_FAN

We need Fortson more than anybody on this team!

If Pel thinks this was what  had to be done then so be it. I've tried to calm myself down over the last day or so. I put alot of emotion into The Razorbacks sometimes to much. Sometimes you got to step back and realize whats important in life. Hopefully Fortson comes back from this and becomes the leader we need. We need a him to be role model type player. I still have my questions about Pelphrey but he has my support and I believe he can be succesful. 

CampuspostmanHOG

February 13, 2009, 01:34:35 pm #27 Last Edit: February 13, 2009, 05:07:57 pm by CampuspostmanHOG
I just spoke to Courtney and told him to hang in there. He said it's cool and he'll be back next game.

RZRBack_FAN

Quote from: CampuspostmanHOG on February 13, 2009, 01:34:35 pm
I just spoke to Courney and told him to hang in there. He said it's cool and he'll be back next game.
Spoke to him where?

akp4105

I just spoke to Courney and told him to hang in there. He said it's cool and he'll be back next game.

I just Cortney Fortson

BrooklynRoss

I support the Razorbacks in the city that never sleeps.

rmcchris

what a refreshing attitude from a player's parent.  So many times we see just the opposite.  He is a warrior and he will come out of this stronger, if he has any of his mom's approach to things.  GO HOGS

bphi11ips

Wow.  Not worried about CF anymore.  He should benefit from this.  He's a passionate kid and just needs to learn how to channel the emotion and adrenaline in the right direction.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

razorbackfan

CampuspostmanHOG

spahoopsfan

for those who want to put the springdale parents on the opposite end of the spectrum as Fortson's mother.  Coach Pel and Coach Nutt are totally different. Coach Nutt did not treat all the players the same. Some people can't get over this fact.  You want a player to apologize to you for something that happened months earlier. It was all about Nutt and not the team.  Coach Pel treats all the players the same not only those that want to kiss his whatever.  It doesn't instigate the problem.  The two scenarios were apples and oranges.  It still amazes me how people don't see the difference. Kid messes up he did to admit it and have corrective actions taken -- Fortson.  A kid gets singled out by his coach and gets treated differently because of a coach's attitude and immaturity -- (Mustain) then parents have every right to tell it like it is and address the matter -people act like the parents had no stake in this like Mustain was working for Nutt and his mom shouldn't get involved.  His mom supports him and has a financial stake involved.  His treatment had nothing to do with playing time.

seb2000

+1 for his mom...classy and a great attitude.

Conway Hog

Quote from: HawgWild on February 13, 2009, 07:48:19 am

Wow, that is great that she would support the decision to discipline him.  Nice to hear her say he will come out of this as a warrior. Thanks Mom!!!!
The  democracy will cease to exist when you take away from  those who are willing to work and give to those who would  not.
Thomas Jefferson

The  tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the  blood of patriots and  tyrants.
Thomas  Jefferson

Wahls

You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

rzrbackrob

I remember hearing or reading somewhere that Coutney Fortson calls his mom as he is being taped before each game. If this is right, seems Coutney is real close to his mom and her opinion really means something to him.
Good is the enemy of great

TNhawgfan

I just spoke to Courtney and told him to hang in there. He said it's cool and he'll be back next game.
I hope he means he's cool with coach's decision and not one of those it's cool that really means I don't care. As a high school teacher and baseball coach, I see a lot of kids say it's cool when they really mean I don't give a ____
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

thirtythree

There's nothing like knowing, deep inside, that you may have hurt your own team by being an individual. He will have a greater appreciation for his team mates and his coaches now for this. If he does not learn his lesson from this then he will need to give it up, because he never will.

ConHawg

Thanks to the UK fan.  Looking forward to tomorrow and hoping that we both play well for an entire game.  That would be a switch for us recently.

CampuspostmanHOG

February 13, 2009, 08:30:30 pm #43 Last Edit: February 14, 2009, 06:50:10 am by CampuspostmanHOG
Quote from: TNhawgfan on February 13, 2009, 07:53:58 pm
I hope he means he's cool with coach's decision and not one of those it's cool that really means I don't care. As a high school teacher and baseball coach, I see a lot of kids say it's cool when they really mean I don't give a ____

My take is he was very sincere and he would make the best of it.

deucea729

Every time I hear anything out of Courtney's mother, it reinforces my faith in the kid.  He comes from good stock, and that's going to benefit him and all of us as Hog fans throughout his career here.

hei5manhog

Quote from: thirtythree on February 13, 2009, 08:00:57 pm
There's nothing like knowing, deep inside, that you may have hurt your own team by being an individual. He will have a greater appreciation for his team mates and his coaches now for this. If he does not learn his lesson from this then he will need to give it up, because he never will.

aka we're going to get ran out the gym?
"If I can't practice, I can't practice. It is as simple as that. It ain't about that at all. It's easy to sum it up if you're just talking about practice. We're sitting here, and I'm supposed to be the franchise player, and we're talking about practice. I mean listen, we're sitting here talking about practice, not a game, not a game, not a game, but we're talking about practice. Not the game that I go out there and die for and play every game like it's my last but we're talking about practice man. How silly is that?

Brand X Hog Fan

Lets see, would that be the parents of the premiere receiver at USC-W of which you speak? Yeah, we would have been much better with Mustain and Williams riding the pine while Nutt continued to drag the football program farther into the abyss. You are right. What were we thinking?
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

Wahls

Quote from: Brand X Hog Fan on February 14, 2009, 03:57:39 am
Lets see, would that be the parents of the premiere receiver at USC-W of which you speak? Yeah, we would have been much better with Mustain and Williams riding the pine while Nutt continued to drag the football program farther into the abyss. You are right. What were we thinking?

Wasn't talking about Damien.