Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

FORTSON SUSPENDED INDEFINITELY from www.hogsnow.com

Started by gary961, February 12, 2009, 02:24:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

donewithdale

February 12, 2009, 04:04:49 pm #100 Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 04:13:20 pm by donewithdale
Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 12, 2009, 03:56:24 pm
The ones I've been too have been.  The ones I haven't been to I've just had to rely on the official attendance numbers which aren't always the most accurate.  Either way the support for Razorback basketball has been equally strong during the last 10 years.  OUR FANS ARE NOT THE PROBLEM.

Rarely has BWA been packed this decade.  A few exceptions during good seasons. 

And being a 'spoiled' fan base isn't just about showing up to games.  We were a football fan base pre-Eddie.  After Eddie's success, the bandwagon grew and these people thought they knew basketball.   In comes Nolan who had to rebuild and do so to a different style our fans couldn't understand.  I could only imagine what would have been said about Nolan those first few seasons if we had a message board.  Fans may have attended games but I wouldn't exactly call it great support.  But Nolan started winning and we like to pat ourselves on the back at that point because we became such 'great' fans.  Then Nolan goes and in comes Heath.  Immediately, "Big 10" basketball was what you heard.  A new style and rebuild was here but our fans didn't have the patience for it and certainly didn't like the style compared to Nolan.  It didn't entertain them enough.  Now we have another rebuild and you see the meltdown for yourself.  Yes, we are great fans once we accept the coach(or not in some cases for Nolan) and they start winning.

And our football fans don't have anywhere near the impatience or ignorance as our fans do towards basketball.  We are 'entitled' and deserve to be elite because of what Nolan once did.  Better get us there asap and with few dropoffs if ever.

UAfan

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 12, 2009, 04:03:34 pm
There a few fans that go overboard, one way or another.  Every program has these fans!

The reputation we got from the HDN debacle was totally bunk.  It was from a bunch of spineless, lazy, uninformed media not doing their homework and reporting a bunch of drivel from the PTB. 

I think most fans, even ones that don't see a bright future with Pel (like myself), realize that calling for Pel's head right now is ridiculous.  What isn't ridiculous is being able to spot some of his shortcomings.  And if he doesn't fix those shortcomings in the next couple of years then it will be time for a change.

P.S.  After us terrible Hog fans ran off poor wittle ole Hootie Nutt, we got Bobby Petrino.  So we weren't scaring everyone off.
I think you can have shortcomings, but also have a bright future as well.  Oliver I know your concern is recruiting, but athletes are what thrive in the SEC, just ask LSU, MSU, and Tennessee.  I think, if we get those who we've recruited this year in, and Adams maybe than this will be a decent recruiting class.  We were to 15 last year, and its hard to do that every year, especially when the SEC isn't the same SEC as it is in football.

Oliver

Quote from: donewithdale on February 12, 2009, 04:04:49 pm
Rarely has BWA been packed this decade.  A few exceptions during good seasons. 

And being a 'spoiled' fan base isn't just about showing up to games.  We were a football fan base pre-Eddie.  After Eddie's success, the bandwagon grew and these people though they knew basketball.   In comes Nolan who had to rebuild and do so to a different style our fans couldn't understand.  I could only imagine what would have been said about Nolan those first few seasons if we had a message board.  Fans may have attended games but I wouldn't exactly call it great support.  But Nolan started winning and we like to pat ourselves on the back at that point because we became such 'great' fans.  Then Nolan goes and in comes Heath.  Immediately, "Big 10" basketball was what you heard.  A knew style and rebuild was here but our fans didn't have the patience for it and certainly didn't like the style compared to Nolan.  It didn't entertain them enough.  Now we have another rebuild and see you the meltdown for yourself.  Yes, we are great fans once we accept the coach(or not in some cases for Nolan) and they start winning.

What basketball program do you consider to have great fans?

UAfan

Quote from: Beaverfever on February 12, 2009, 04:03:56 pm
"plenty of big games"?  Are you kidding? 
Kentucky hasn't done sh#t in the past 5 years but they continue to pack every game bc every game is big to them.  Thats the way it should be at UA.  Kentucky and Arkansas are the class of the SEC in basketball and there's no reason why we can't have 15 + for every game and a couple 20 + every now and then.

Oliver

Quote from: UAfan on February 12, 2009, 04:06:37 pm
I think you can have shortcomings, but also have a bright future as well.  Oliver I know your concern is recruiting, but athletes are what thrive in the SEC, just ask LSU, MSU, and Tennessee.  I think, if we get those who we've recruited this year in, and Adams maybe than this will be a decent recruiting class.  We were to 15 last year, and its hard to do that every year, especially when the SEC isn't the same SEC as it is in football.

Like I said...we'll see what Pel does.  It would be nice if he got the job done.  I'm sick of coaching changes myself and I like the passion Pelphrey has for our program and SEC basketball.  But if things continue to go like they have this year (with recruiting and performance), the patience should within the next 2 years.

PorkRyan

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 12, 2009, 04:07:16 pm

probably those ones that pack out the 6k seat arenas.

Aren't we still top 10-15 in attendance every year, even though we have been putting out a 40-45 ranked product?

donewithdale

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 12, 2009, 04:07:16 pm

I only support one of program from afar and they have only had one coach in the 25 years I have followed them. 

UAfan

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 12, 2009, 04:09:43 pm
Like I said...we'll see what Pel does.  It would be nice if he got the job done.  I'm sick of coaching changes myself and I like the passion Pelphrey has for our program and SEC basketball.  But if things continue to go like they have this year (with recruiting and performance), the patience should within the next 2 years.
I agree I think 2 more years will suffice.  Like you said I also think its important that the coach here understands and has passion for this program, and obviously we haven't had that since Nolan. 

PorkRyan

Quote from: UAfan on February 12, 2009, 04:09:04 pm
Kentucky hasn't done sh#t in the past 5 years but they continue to pack every game bc every game is big to them.  Thats the way it should be at UA.  Kentucky and Arkansas are the class of the SEC in basketball and there's no reason why we can't have 15 + for every game and a couple 20 + every now and then.

It's been 14 years for us.  We haven't even won a division title since 1995 or seen what the sweet sixteen looks like in 13 years.

Oliver

Kentucky hasn't done sh#t in the past 5 years?  Before last year, the worst they had done was making the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament.  And last year they made the NCAAT, which sadly has become our measure for a successful year. 

But maybe you were speaking through the eyes of a Kentucky fan who probably agree with you that Kentucky hasn't done sh#t in the last 5 years.  So if any program has spoiled fans, it's Kentucky.

Oliver

Quote from: donewithdale on February 12, 2009, 04:11:00 pm
I only support one of program from afar and they have only had one coach in the 25 years I have followed them. 

Let's play a little "What If"...

Let's say Coach K bails on Duke after a few bad seasons and Duke brings in Mr. Mid Major.  Duke makes the NCAAT 2 times in 5 years.  You don't think you start seeing a little impatience in the fans?

Beaverfever

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 12, 2009, 04:13:22 pm
Kentucky hasn't done sh#t in the past 5 years?  Before last year, the worst they had done was making the 2nd round of the NCAA Tournament.  And last year they made the NCAAT, which sadly has become our measure for a successful year. 

But maybe you were speaking through the eyes of a Kentucky fan who probably agree with you that Kentucky hasn't done sh#t in the last 5 years.  So if any program has spoiled fans, it's Kentucky.
Lol yeah us not doing sh#t means winning one NCAA tournament game in 13 years.  I wonder how many kentucky has won in that time period? 

UAfan

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 12, 2009, 04:13:22 pm

Yes Kentucky is spoiled, but their measure of success is elite eights and final fours, and they haven't sniffed that in a while.  Regardless they still pack the place.  They packed it out last year when they lost their first couple of game to nobodies. 

GS99

Quote from: BayofPigs on February 12, 2009, 03:26:57 pm
i hope he understands that these players are still teenagers with moods and hormones flying around.

Actually, Fortson is 20.5 years old.  Not a man like Mike Gundy, but not a teenager either.

touchdownark

Quote from: chiefsfan on February 12, 2009, 02:33:11 pm
No.  he was late for a team meeting before the Northwestern State game and didn start.   he played about 10 minutes less then usual in that game in the end
we were also manhandleing them

jschulte

Quote from: ChargerHog on February 12, 2009, 02:30:48 pm
Pelphrey's legacy a going to be the coach that buried Razorback basketball forever.

Before anyone says it's not he fault, he shouldn't have recruited so many character problems. This is getting really old really fast. Can't wait to see how empty the Bud is Saturday!

Shut the hell up, goodness.  You can't probe into a guys life and character  just through the recruiting process, wow

Arazorbackguy1

I love it how I predicted this at the beginning of the season and everyone jumped all over me and my thread was trashed.  You could see it in the way he would talk to his teammates, how he would throw his arms up when others make mistakes.  This guy was/is the cancer on this team.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

donewithdale

Quote from: Oliver Miller on February 12, 2009, 04:15:11 pm
Let's play a little "What If"...

Let's say Coach K bails on Duke after a few bad seasons and Duke brings in Mr. Mid Major.  Duke makes the NCAAT 2 times in 5 years.  You don't think you start seeing a little impatience in the fans?

Of course.  That coach would be following 11 F 4's and 3 NC's.  Two trips in 5 years would be job ending. 

athunt

This gives Pelphrey an excuse for getting his arsed kicked by his alma matter
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

rude1

February 12, 2009, 04:26:08 pm #119 Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 04:46:08 pm by rude1
What I fear the most out of all these suspensions this season is the impact it is going to have on future recruiting. You can bet with this, Pel will be painted on the recruiting trail, fairly or not, as a hard ass who doesn't allow his kids to make mistakes and grow without sitting them. That alone will scare elite players away from playing for him. It is not like he was setting the world on fire with his recruiting ability as it is, he doesn't need another handicap added to him. I just hope that the punishments are fitting the crimes, and even if they are, on the recruiting trail, it will be painted as though it's not.

donewithdale

Quote from: rude1 on February 12, 2009, 04:26:08 pm
What I fear the most out of all these suspensions this season is the impact it is going to have on future recruiting. You can bet with this, Pel will be painted on the recruiting trail, fairly or not, as a hard ass who doesn't allow his kids to make mistakes and grow without sitting them. That alone will scare elite players away from playing for him. It is not like he was setting the world on fire with his recruiting ability as it is, he doesn't need another handicap added to him. I just hope that the punishments are fitting the crimes, and even if they are, on the recruiting trail, it will painted as though it's not.

That is a real concern.

CoachVisor

I've seen this coming for weeks now, I whole heartily stand behind this decision although I would have sat his ass much much much sooner. Pel has been more than patient with Fortson and some of his infantile antics.

MJ2

Quote from: athunt on February 12, 2009, 04:25:14 pm
This gives Pelphrey an excuse for getting his arsed kicked by his alma matter

True.   And also helps to avoid the beating ASU or UALR will put on them in the NIT.   Not good.

athunt

I just listened to the press conference...it seemed like Pel was just over it all.  I didnt get a sense of passion.  If u r one of his players, thats gotta kill you to hear your coach say "This isnt the NBA, we cant go out and sign somebody new".  For the love of God please do not mention South Alabama. We dont care about what you did in the past, we care about what you are doing now. 
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

rude1

February 12, 2009, 04:45:03 pm #124 Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 04:49:44 pm by rude1
Quote from: UAfan on February 12, 2009, 04:00:50 pm
I agree we have great fans.  But I think they have become fair-weathered for the past ten years.

We haven't set a record in 7 years at BWA, and there's been plenty of big games to do so since then
http://www.arsnonline.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=244
This debate has always amazed me. What program is setting attendance records when they have been average to bad for ten years and counting? This program draws more fans that some programs who are winning and are ranked. Enough of trying to make it seem like the fans have had anything to do with the sad state of affairs with the basketball program. The fans here have been more than patient, and more than loyal, they are just frustrated that the patience and loyalty hasn't paid off, nor appears to be paying off anytime soon.

fineswine

If he is a problem, he needs to be delt with.  I applaud Pelphrey for the move.  Fortson is NOT bigger than the U of A.  Sutton dumped Cutts, Nolan dumped Mills and Hutchinson, and yet the program didn't miss a beat.  I repect someone who will not allow "the inmates to run the asylum".  I'm proud of the school, and I want to be equally proud of those who represent it.

The Truth

Kentucky and Arkansas WERE the class of the SEC in basketball. The truth hurts: Arkansas only really mattered to the overall strength and reputation of the conference for a brief period in the mid-1990s. Kentucky is on their way back. Florida is by far the best program in the SEC now.

As for the subject of this thread: total disaster.
The Truth hurts.

chiefsfan

Quote from: athunt on February 12, 2009, 04:37:12 pm
I just listened to the press conference...it seemed like Pel was just over it all.  I didnt get a sense of passion.  If u r one of his players, thats gotta kill you to hear your coach say "This isnt the NBA, we cant go out and sign somebody new".  For the love of God please do not mention South Alabama. We dont care about what you did in the past, we care about what you are doing now. 

You got to know that this is hurting Pelphrey more then anyone else.     but its a positive sign he is willing to suspend Fortson right before we play UK
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

HeathWimp

It won't change our record, but the margins of defeat could get even bigger.
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

claycohog

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on February 12, 2009, 04:20:00 pm
I love it how I predicted this at the beginning of the season and everyone jumped all over me and my thread was trashed.  You could see it in the way he would talk to his teammates, how he would throw his arms up when others make mistakes.  This guy was/is the cancer on this team.
He may be a cancer, but he is not the cancer that I have referred to since the Ole Miss game.  The other one hasn't been dealt with as of yet. 

If this leaves you asking is there more to come I will go ahead and answer that question with a yes.

Pig Latin

putting myself in these kids shoes, i would see that we went from "what do these kids have to do to be ranked?", to can't find a bucket, to lose a valuable team member, to won't find a bucket,.. ending up at 1-8.  These kids are used to winning(high school last year and beginning this year) and they are probably all pised/upset/fighting/yelling at each other(wouldn't you be too).  I would bet Fortson mouthed off, and coach is going to sit him for a bit.  And yes, this does not diminish our current position, and there is a chance to get a couple wins in this stretch and do something in the SECT.  Man, I am a homer.  Coach pel is abrasive, and i am sure it is not helping this exact situation. 
Quote from: KnilesKankle on April 22, 2012, 09:57:12 am
Smites are like scars, be proud of of them all.

Oliver

Quote from: donewithdale on February 12, 2009, 04:24:26 pm
Of course.  That coach would be following 11 F 4's and 3 NC's.  Two trips in 5 years would be job ending. 

Okay, fast forward 5 more years.  They have another coach and he's struggling about the same way.

Arazorbackguy1

I say we win out without all of the bad attitudes
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Hogeyeblind

Quote from: rude1 on February 12, 2009, 04:26:08 pm
It is not like he was setting the world on fire with his recruiting ability as it is, he doesn't need another handicap added to him. I just hope that the punishments are fitting the crimes, and even if they are, on the recruiting trail, it will be painted as though it's not.

Pel has lost this team and is losing the fanbase as well.  This has turned into a total abortion and I dont see it ending well at all

chiefsfan

Quote from: Hogeyeblind on February 12, 2009, 05:33:13 pm
Pel has lost this team and is losing the fanbase as well.  This has turned into a total abortion and I dont see it ending well at all

I dont think he has lost the team or the fanbase.  I think he is having to remind the team who is in charge
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

GO

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on February 12, 2009, 05:24:36 pm
I say we win out without all of the bad attitudes

I say to you it is 5 PM and you started drinking at 2.   ;)

RZRBack_FAN

Quote from: hawg in memphis on February 12, 2009, 03:51:12 pm
Then quit posting on message board, find another team and get lost-------your a bigger loser than our bb team.
No thanks, I'm going to stay right here where I've been my whole life but thanks for the offer

Hawgndaaz

Key comment by Pelphrey during the presser:

"Is this an isolated incident? No."

he rambled on about how he expects everyone to have a positive attitude no matter the adversity, and to treat each other with respect. It is obvious his overall effort had a lot to do with it

RZRBack_FAN

Quote from: UAfan on February 12, 2009, 04:03:29 pm
There is a difference between venting and being a bad fan, and I think some are dancing on that fine line.  Saying you quit on this team, or you wouldn't make a game if you were given free tix etc.  That is being a bad fan.

Im not going to drive 4 hrs to watch a piss poor team that gives almost no effort on defense. If that makes me a bad fan then so be it. I had no problem driving up to watch BP and the football team play last year even though they only won 5 games. They showed Improvement and heart, along with GREAT COACHING.

Just because my opinion is different than yours doesn't mean I'm a bad fan. The ones of you blameing the Fans are the idiots plain and simple!

Hawgndaaz

Also, Pelphrey sounded very upset and disappointed to me.

This was definitely a last resort.

jschulte

chargerhog is as bad of a fan as the razorbacks are as bad of a team.

RZRBack_FAN

February 12, 2009, 05:55:51 pm #141 Last Edit: February 12, 2009, 06:06:22 pm by ChargerHog
Quote from: jschulte on February 12, 2009, 05:53:35 pm
chargerhog is as bad of a fan as the razorbacks are as bad of a team.
Yeah that's a good one. You sure didn't get shorted on whits did ya?

jschulte

3kgthog

Pelphrey is getting dangerously close to losing this entire team. I'm talking angry players, revolts, and transfers.

jts900011

Quote from: UAfan on February 12, 2009, 03:49:09 pm
I don't think that fans have acted like spoiled [CENSORED].  I'd say the way some are acting right now are spoiled [CENSORED].  Like Oliver and donewithdale have been saying now is not the time to stop supporting this program.  Now, more than ever, is time to show up and support those who throw on a Razorback uniform.  Its also a time to support Fortson, he's 18 for goodness sakes, and he's got the weight of the whole team on his shoulders.  Thats a helluva lot of pressure for someone that your.  So if you have tickets go to the game and enjoy it.  I believe this program is headed in the right direction, and I think Pel is showing that he has loads of amount of integrity, especially doing this before this game.  I'd to see some support for him thrown his way.  It doesn't help at all if we just bitch and moan about where we're at.
If the guy had tons of integrity then explain to me why he holds this press conference today and suspends Courtney Fortson and says it was not an isolated incident. Lets get this straight! Courtney Fortson played last night and today he is suspended. If it was not an isolated incident what was it? I figure it was over what Auburnhog was describing right here on this website. He was there and he was embarrassed by Courtney Fortson's actions.
     Here is the question! If it was an isolated incident why not come out and say so? Why not say something like, "his actions were unacceptable last night and I am benching him because of it." What would be wrong with that? The answer is nothing!!!!!           
     The reason it was not an isolated incident is because we were not able to watch the game and witness for ourselves, like AuburnHog, that John Pelphrey might be completely losing control of this team. It also is glaringly evident had we, like AuburnHog, seen for ourselves what happen last night we would have seen what is wrong with this team and why the verdict is still out on Pelphrey. Had we watched it, we would not be here like this guy or Bo Mattingly today on his show, willing to pat John Pelphrey on the back for suspending Fortson; holding this action up as something that proves Pelphrey is a guy of integrity.
     I have no doubt john Pelphrey is a man of integrity but, I must say I am disapointed and a little concerned of his claim it was not an isolated incident. It sounds to me as though Pelphrey had been coached on the proper wording here to remove Courtney Fortson's actions in last nights game from the equation. By doing it this way, you remove an action by a player that reflects badly on the percieved control you are suppose to have. Boy, Pelphrey is coming out of this smelling like a rose. It could not be more convienent for Pelphrey getting to suspend Courtney Fortson.   
    Pelphrey having lost control of this team does not look good on his ability to turn this program around. The point is had we seen it we would have expected him to suspend Courtney. Do not tell me that john pelphrey gets a pat on the back for suspending him. Do not tell me this is a courageous act before the Kentucky game. Had we seen it with our on eyes we would be labeling it as anything but courageous,  an act of integrity, etc.... Last night is one more sign why this team is struggling and today's press conference by Pelphrey is why I do not think he is the guy for the future.

donewithdale

Quote from: jts900011 on February 12, 2009, 06:52:07 pm
If the guy had tons of integrity then explain to me why he holds this press conference today and suspends Courtney Fortson and says it was not an isolated incident. Lets get this straight! Courtney Fortson played last night and today he is suspended. If it was not an isolated incident what was it? I figure it was over what Auburnhog was describing right here on this website. He was there and he was embarrassed by Courtney Fortson's actions.
     Here is the question! If it was an isolated incident why not come out and say so? Why not say something like, "his actions were unacceptable last night and I am benching him because of it." What would be wrong with that? The answer is nothing!!!!!           
     The reason it was not an isolated incident is because we were not able to watch the game and witness for ourselves, like AuburnHog, that John Pelphrey might be completely losing control of this team. It also is glaringly evident had we, like AuburnHog, seen for ourselves what happen last night we would have seen what is wrong with this team and why the verdict is still out on Pelphrey. Had we watched it, we would not be here like this guy or Bo Mattingly today on his show, willing to pat John Pelphrey on the back for suspending Fortson; holding this action up as something that proves Pelphrey is a guy of integrity.
     I have no doubt john Pelphrey is a man of integrity but, I must say I am disapointed and a little concerned of his claim it was not an isolated incident. It sounds to me as though Pelphrey had been coached on the proper wording here to remove Courtney Fortson's actions in last nights game from the equation. By doing it this way, you remove an action by a player that reflects badly on the percieved control you are suppose to have. Boy, Pelphrey is coming out of this smelling like a rose. It could not be more convienent for Pelphrey getting to suspend Courtney Fortson.   
    Pelphrey having lost control of this team does not look good on his ability to turn this program around. The point is had we seen it we would have expected him to suspend Courtney. Do not tell me that john pelphrey gets a pat on the back for suspending him. Do not tell me this is a courageous act before the Kentucky game. Had we seen it with our on eyes we would be labeling it as anything but courageous,  an act of integrity, etc.... Last night is one more sign why this team is struggling and today's press conference by Pelphrey is why I do not think he is the guy for the future.

What?  Couldn't last night have been a part of a string of incidents and last night was the last straw?  That Fortson's issue, whatever it is, has added up and it truly wasn't just one isolated incident?

Razorod

Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

WBOBO

The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.

board