Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is Pels incoming class going to fill our needs????

Started by hogzilla3, February 01, 2009, 01:08:50 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogzilla3

I think we need some more bigs for the boards and another point guard.  The two forwards coming in will fill some needs at that position.  Dang that just sounds like we have a lot of needs. lol

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: hogzilla3 on February 01, 2009, 01:08:50 pm
I think we need some more bigs for the boards and another point guard.  The two forwards coming in will fill some needs at that position.  Dang that just sounds like we have a lot of needs. lol
We do have a lot of needs IMO.  We need two big bodies, a point guard, and a shooting guard/combo guard with some height.    IMO Fortson could be a steady PG but we need another one coming off the bench (hopefully taller).   Rot Clarke IMO should be more of a role player than a major minutes contributor at the 2.   Ideally we would have a 6-3 guard starting in front of him and letting RC come off the bench (Henry?).    Moore and Clark need much more meat on their bones.   
***"He must increase, but I must decrease"***

newera

Big men, def. and another Pt. Guard to come off the bench. I wish we could just recruit 2 more Michael Washington's...
I'm a diverse all sports fan... Razorbacks, Lipscomb Bisons (NCAA), Portland Timbers (MLS), Tennessee Titans, Nashville Predators, Barcelona (La Liga), Arsenal (EPL), and Sacramento Kings.

Beaverfever

We need like 4 guys in the 6-3 to 6-8 range that are versatile

The_Iceman

I don't know about you guys, but i think Andre Clark is going to be a star once Pelphrey gives him more playing time.

The kid is 6'9", long arms, incredible verticle jump, and has shown he can hit the open jumper.

Clarke and Washington need to be playing together alot more. Add Powell to them next year and we are in great shape.

Niels Boar

It would be nice to add a PG and a SG with some size.  Both Fortson and Clarke are potentially very good SEC guards, but I'm not sure that they aren't less than the sum of their parts together.  With a quality backup of any kind Fortson could get more aggressive on D.  He showed he could be disruptive against LSU.  That would help.  We need another consistent perimeter shooter with size at any position to help Clarke.  Right now zero production at PF is drag at both ends.  Hopefully Powell and development by the frosh will solve that next season.  If we are going to be small in the backcourt, we really need to have some shot-blocking at #3 - #5.

The_Iceman

Quote from: Beaverfever on February 01, 2009, 01:38:22 pm
We need like 4 guys in the 6-3 to 6-8 range that are versatile

agreed.

Powell and Farmer fit that mode perfectly.

jamie72921

The last thing we need are plodding big men to clog the middle of the lane.

Marshawn Powell will be an impact player on the blocks for us and allow us to move Sanchez into his natural role of spelling our starters along with Moore.

Farmer is big guard, the biggest need for this team. He and Henry on the floor at the same time would be formidable. He and Henry would also be interchangeable on the nights that Clarke is hitting and in the lineup. This would add needed depth for team.

We are also looking at a 3rd big guard and have a 4* forward who decomitted from Bama who is very interested in us at this point.

We will be very good next season if only Powell and Farmer make it to campus.
Bless your heart

athunt

I think Pel needs to recruit a new strength and conditioning coach..wheres the beef
"It's easy to recruit these combine guys that run around real fast in their underwear.  We're gonna recruit football players"
-Reggie Johnson

Foshodo

considering with Monk out, we really dont have a SF... Farmer and Henry could at least play the part next season. Powell should give Pel the ability to bring Sanchez off the bench like needed... the Borden kid is odd... while I'm always happy to get a 7 footer with potential, he'll be one of 6 guys to play 2 positions if he doesnt go prep school next year... blech... there seem to be about 5 or 6 problems with this current team... 2 or 3 might be fixed but only by moving around parts that only creates more problems in other areas...

Cresthog

If Washington leaves we will be worse than we are this year. Mark it down.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: Cresthog on February 01, 2009, 07:04:21 pm
If Washington leaves we will be worse than we are this year. Mark it down.
You got that right.

hogzilla3

hogninja

Quote from: hogzilla3 on February 01, 2009, 09:47:31 pm
if Wash. leaves we're in big trouble

So, where is he going to go?  He's not League material yet. ???
:razorback:

hogzilla3

6-10 averaging a double double in the sec ,,,,,,enough said

akp4105

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on February 01, 2009, 01:26:54 pm
We do have a lot of needs IMO.  We need two big bodies, a point guard, and a shooting guard/combo guard with some height.    IMO Fortson could be a steady PG but we need another one coming off the bench (hopefully taller).   Rot Clarke IMO should be more of a role player than a major minutes contributor at the 2.   Ideally we would have a 6-3 guard starting in front of him and letting RC come off the bench (Henry?).    Moore and Clark need much more meat on their bones.   

Why do we need a PG? Thats not a main priority right now. We need depth in the forwards and another big man..

mbgrulz

February 01, 2009, 10:55:01 pm #16 Last Edit: February 02, 2009, 07:36:08 am by mbgrulz
Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on February 01, 2009, 01:26:54 pm
We do have a lot of needs IMO.  We need two big bodies, a point guard, and a shooting guard/combo guard with some height.    IMO Fortson could be a steady PG but we need another one coming off the bench (hopefully taller).   Rot Clarke IMO should be more of a role player than a major minutes contributor at the 2.   Ideally we would have a 6-3 guard starting in front of him and letting RC come off the bench (Henry?).    Moore and Clark need much more meat on their bones.   
If we could get bigger and more athletic at the 3 spot (Jason Henry), then you will want RC in there. he is too good of an offensive weapon to write off as a role player.

He is building confidence as we speak, and if you watched him the last two games, you'd see that he is much more than a set-shooter. Soon, he'll have it down so that when players close out his 3 point looks, he'll drive right by them and make them pay.

Playing with a GREAT shooter is not something that this team is used to. They are really getting better though. They are getting more conscious about screening him, and delivering the ball to him at the right time.

SECGUY

No. We need 2 Guards with good decision making ability. Not likely in a freshman. Ex (Fortson)

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogzilla3 on February 01, 2009, 09:47:31 pm
if Wash. leaves we're in big trouble

also, the sun will come up tomorrow.

sorry for the sarcasm.

chiefsfan

Quote from: SECGUY on February 01, 2009, 11:21:41 pm
No. We need 2 Guards with good decision making ability. Not likely in a freshman. Ex (Fortson)

uhh you realize that anyone we sign is going to be just as inexperienced as Fortson this year...right?
Honor and Integrity no longer exist in the world of college football.  It is only filled with liar's cheater's, and traitors.

hogzilla3

if wash leaves we still have Smooth moves Sanchez

HAM ELLIOT

Quote from: hogzilla3 on February 02, 2009, 04:00:12 pm
if wash leaves we still have Smooth moves Sanchez
I couldnt help but giggle a little.  Sanchez looks a little awkward out there. 

Razorod

anybody heard whether we're in the mix if Tony Mitchell gets out of his LOI with Bama? Heard he may be looking for a release and there might be mutual interest. 6-6 wing player, originally from the 2008 class. Top 50 talent. ranked 38 I believe by Rivals and 50ish by scout.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

ThisTeetsTaken

Quote from: mbgrulz on February 01, 2009, 10:55:01 pm
If we could get bigger and more athletic at the 3 spot (Jason Henry), then you will want RC in there. he is too good of an offensive weapon to write off as a role player.

He is building confidence as we speak, and if you watched him the last two games, you'd see that he is much more than a set-shooter. Soon, he'll have it down so that when players close out his 3 point looks, he'll drive right by them and make them pay.

Playing with a GREAT shooter is not something that this team is used to. They are really getting better though. They are getting more conscious about screening him, and delivering the ball to him at the right time.
He hasn't proven himself to be a great shooter yet.   He's  11 of 34 (32%) on 3's in SEC play.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: akp4105 on February 01, 2009, 10:22:59 pm
Why do we need a PG? Thats not a main priority right now. We need depth in the forwards and another big man..

In my opinion, the Hogs BB Team needs a back up Point Guard, and another Shooting Guard (preferably both that have length and height).  I noticed that Coach Pelphrey is recruiting a Forward over in Memphis.  The Forward is Ferrakohn Hall, who is 6-7, 210 lbs.  Ferrakohn Hall is listed as a 3 Star by Rivals.  As of right now, the following will be the Forwards on next Season's Hog team.  The below list takes into account Michael Washington being at Forward next Season (provided Anthony Borden can immediately play the Center position).  Washington's natural position is Forward.

Michael Washington (if Anthony Borden can immediately play the Center position)
Andre Clark
Brandon Moore
Marshawn Powell
Jemal Farmer
Michael Sanchez

It looks like by the above list that the Hogs will have plenty of Forwards for next Season.  So, I am not for sure why another Forward is being recruited by Coach Pelphrey.  If Coach Pelphrey is insistent on getting another Forward for this recruiting Class, then the following is the Forwards that I would be looking at instead of Ferrakohn Hall.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=70365

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=67961

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?Sport=2&pr_key=69597

http://www.hutchcc.edu/dragons/redsite/Basketballmen/2008-09%20Players/21%20-%20Dixon.htm

The upside to Cliff Dixon is that he is 6-10, and could possibly play the Center position if Anthony Borden is not able to adjust immediately to collegiate basketball.  In my opinion, I feel that we have enough Forwards based on the above list of 6 Forwards, and that the Hogs Recruiting Class needs a back up Point Guard and another Shooting Guard.  But, if Coach Pelphrey is adamant about getting another Forward for this Recruiting Class, then the above 3 Forwards that are in the direct Web Site links would be the Forwards that I would consider.     

hogzilla3

it would be nice to add another big to this team

GoHogs1091

Quote from: hogzilla3 on February 02, 2009, 09:50:05 pm

If Anthony Borden is ready to immediately to play the Center position, it will enable Michael Washington to move to Forward.  If Borden is not ready to immediately play the Center position, then Cliff Dixon, a 6-10 Forward would be someone to focus on in recruiting (I provided two direct links to information about Cliff Dixon earlier in this thread).  Since Cliff Dixon is 6-10, he might be able to play both Center and Forward (Dixon is listed as a Forward).

We definitely need to make sure to have someone in the Recruiting Class that can immediately play Center at the Collegiate level, which will enable Michael Washington to move over to his natural position of Forward.  If Anthony Borden is someone that can immediately play Center, then we would have six Forwards on the Team for next Season.  Six Forwards is a considerable amount of Forwards, and therefore, it is perplexing as to why Coach Pelphrey is currently recruiting another Forward if Coach Pelphrey feels that Borden can immediately play the Center position (Coach Pelphrey is currently recruiting Ferrakohn Hall, a 6-7 Forward over at Memphis).

If Anthony Borden won't be able to adjust quickly to playing Center at the Collegiate level, then Coach Pelphrey will hopefully be looking for another Center or a Forward that can also play the Center position (Cliff Dixon at 6-10 would be a good option if Dixon can also play the Center position).  Ferrakohn Hall, the 6-7 Forward over at Memphis that Coach Pelphrey is perplexingly recruiting, most likely won't also be able to play the Center position.               

The Hogfather

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on February 04, 2009, 10:40:45 pm
If Anthony Borden is ready to immediately to play the Center position, it will enable Michael Washington to move to Forward.  If Borden is not ready to immediately play the Center position, then Cliff Dixon, a 6-10 Forward would be someone to focus on in recruiting (I provided two direct links to information about Cliff Dixon earlier in this thread).  Since Cliff Dixon is 6-10, he might be able to play both Center and Forward (Dixon is listed as a Forward).

We definitely need to make sure to have someone in the Recruiting Class that can immediately play Center at the Collegiate level, which will enable Michael Washington to move over to his natural position of Forward.  If Anthony Borden is someone that can immediately play Center, then we would have six Forwards on the Team for next Season.  Six Forwards is a considerable amount of Forwards, and therefore, it is perplexing as to why Coach Pelphrey is currently recruiting another Forward if Coach Pelphrey feels that Borden can immediately play the Center position (Coach Pelphrey is currently recruiting Ferrakohn Hall, a 6-7 Forward over at Memphis).

If Anthony Borden won't be able to adjust quickly to playing Center at the Collegiate level, then Coach Pelphrey will hopefully be looking for another Center or a Forward that can also play the Center position (Cliff Dixon at 6-10 would be a good option if Dixon can also play the Center position).  Ferrakohn Hall, the 6-7 Forward over at Memphis that Coach Pelphrey is perplexingly recruiting, most likely won't also be able to play the Center position.               

Are you CLiff's brother, Juan?  ;)

jkstock04

We've got to get a couple of guys with some sort of physical dominance down low or it's gonna be the same ole story over and over again until we do.  We are outmatched physically in nearly every game we play.  If they get the ball underneath to a big man we're beat just about every time, thats how we wound up losing tonight.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

HawgTide

An interesting and informative post without a lot of constant doomsday predictions --- what a concept. ;D

mbgrulz

Quote from: ThisTeetsTaken on February 02, 2009, 07:36:10 pm
He hasn't proven himself to be a great shooter yet.   He's  11 of 34 (32%) on 3's in SEC play.
He average 40 per game last year.

The goal is still 10' high.

Nothing has changed, he just has to adjust.

He is a great shooter.

mhuff

I saw Flowers play twice this year. I saw some good things. I am not sure we are recruiting Hall as highly as we were.

Merle Hawggard

Quote from: mbgrulz on February 05, 2009, 07:47:17 am
He average 40 per game last year.

The goal is still 10' high.

Nothing has changed, he just has to adjust.

He is a great shooter.

so was brooks taylor at BIC (arkansas's All-time career scoring leader)
avg 40 a game, could do it all.....in high school!!
but not an sec player

im not sure clarke is either...
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"If I tell you a rooster can pull a freight train....hook his a$$ up!!\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" Terry Whitlock

75grad

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 01, 2009, 01:38:43 pm
I don't know about you guys, but i think Andre Clark is going to be a star once Pelphrey gives him more playing time.

The kid is 6'9", long arms, incredible verticle jump, and has shown he can hit the open jumper.

Clarke and Washington need to be playing together alot more. Add Powell to them next year and we are in great shape.

Why not play Clark and Moore?  Stats couldn't be any worse than Sanchez.  Plus, gives them some experience.
NCAA=Need Cash Attend Auburn

Baconator

Here is the guy the Arkansas staff is currently recruiting:
http://arkansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=80620&sport=2

He was a sleeper until he began putting up big numbers and now a lot of high majors are beginning to show strong interest.

NWASooner

Getting some big people with some muscle wouldn't hurt.  Losing Marcus Monk killed this team.

PorkRyan

Borden is probably headed to prep school, right?

We need another PF/C that can come in and play immediately, in addition to Powell.

Aren't all 3 signees major grade risks?

I'll take all of the 6-4 to 6-7 athletic guys that we can sign, provided they have some basketball skills.

Washington is projected as a 2nd rounder in the 2010 draft according to NBAdraft.net.  He souldn't be going anywhere, but if he does, next year could be Pelphrey's last year because we will be terrible.

Baconator

Quote from: PorkRyan on February 05, 2009, 02:26:34 pm

We need another PF/C that can come in and play immediately, in addition to Powell.

Aren't all 3 signees major grade risks?

I'll take all of the 6-4 to 6-7 athletic guys that we can sign, provided they have some basketball skills.

Washington is projected as a 2nd rounder in the 2010 draft according to NBAdraft.net.  He souldn't be going anywhere, but if he does, next year could be Pelphrey's last year because we will be terrible.

I'm not sure about Borden and Farmer, but about a month ago on the radio Dudley said Powell would be eligible. I don't know how reliable his sources are so take it for what it's worth.

BCShogs

Quote from: hogzilla3 on February 01, 2009, 01:08:50 pm

We do have a lotta needs. Most of the players that Pel brought in that are playing this year are projects or just not good enough to compete at the highest level. Unfortunately, the players coming in next year will probably be similar.

BCShogs

Quote from: hogzilla3 on February 02, 2009, 09:50:05 pm

It would be nice to pull the schollies of the bigs, including power forwards that we do have (except M. Washington).

Merle Hawggard

February 05, 2009, 05:28:14 pm #40 Last Edit: February 05, 2009, 05:34:17 pm by Merle Hawggard
Quote from: BCShogs on February 05, 2009, 02:55:42 pm
It would be nice to pull the schollies of the bigs, including power forwards that we do have (except M. Washington).

but he only played 22 minutes....if you doubled his minutes played you would also double his points total for a whole game (2 + 2) 4. now thats worth a scholly!
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\"If I tell you a rooster can pull a freight train....hook his a$$ up!!\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\" Terry Whitlock

forrest city joe

In a word no! what we have so far, is flatout not good enough im my opinion.

The Hogfather

Quote from: Baconator on February 05, 2009, 02:09:33 pm
Here is the guy the Arkansas staff is currently recruiting:
http://arkansas.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=80620&sport=2

He was a sleeper until he began putting up big numbers and now a lot of high majors are beginning to show strong interest.

If we can add this guy and Tony Mitchell in the spring signing period to add to Borden, Farmer, and Powell, I would be VERY, VERY happy.

http://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=53165&Sport=2

I won't get my hopes up, though.

The Boar War

Quote from: PorkRyan on February 05, 2009, 02:26:34 pm

All academics aside it is in Borden's best interest to go to prep school.  He needs to bulk up and get some more playing experience.  If he bulks up he could be a pretty decent role player.

mbgrulz

Quote from: Merle Hawggard on February 05, 2009, 01:44:58 pm
so was brooks taylor at BIC (arkansas's All-time career scoring leader)
avg 40 a game, could do it all.....in high school!!
but not an sec player

im not sure clarke is either...
Well, There were plenty of people who have forgotten more than you'll ever know who think he is good enough to play high-major ball.

You can bring out all the 'small white set-shooter' examples that you want, but I believe RC is capable of being a helluva a player.

You did read the stat line from the Bama game didn't you?

GoHogs1091

Quote from: mhuff on February 05, 2009, 01:01:36 pm
I saw Flowers play twice this year. I saw some good things. I am not sure we are recruiting Hall as highly as we were.

Chipola College in Florida apparently has one of the best Junior College teams in the nation this Season.  According to the scores of their games for this year listed on their Web Site, they have only lost 1 game this Season.  Two of their Sophmores are rated 4 Star by Rivals, and 3 of their Sophmores are rated a 3 Star by Rivals.  Their Center, Jon Kreft, is a 7 Footer (their Web Site shows that Kreft is 7-0).  Kreft is rated 4 Stars by Rivals.  Kreft would be a possible Center option for Coach Pelphrey if Anthony Borden has to go to JUCO.

Perhaps, Coach Pelphrey will find out about Gary Flowers and Jon Kreft.  The following is a link to Rivals information about Jon Kreft.  A link to Gary Flowers' Rivals information was posted earlier in this thread.  After the link to Kreft's Rivals information below, a link to Chipola's Roster is provided.  Jon Kreft is at the lower portion of the Chipola Roster on the link. 

http://rivalshoops.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=87966&sport=2

http://www.chipola.edu/extrac/athl/basketball/2008/roster.htm

BCShogs

Quote from: mbgrulz on February 05, 2009, 06:40:06 pm
Well, There were plenty of people who have forgotten more than you'll ever know who think he is good enough to play high-major ball.

You can bring out all the 'small white set-shooter' examples that you want, but I believe RC is capable of being a helluva a player.

You did read the stat line from the Bama game didn't you?

You did read the stat lines from the rest of the games didn't you. He's a poor man's Lee Humphrey at best.

mbgrulz

February 06, 2009, 11:28:04 am #47 Last Edit: February 06, 2009, 11:29:36 am by mbgrulz
                                     3PM      3PA     3P%       PPG.
JJ Redick as a Freshmen -    95       238     39%       15.0
Rot. Clarke SO FAR        -    45       120     37%       11.0
Lee Humphrey as a FR -       25        57      43%       3.8

Stat Line This

You're a poor man's me. :)

The Hogfather

Quote from: mbgrulz on February 06, 2009, 11:28:04 am
                                     3PM      3PA     3P%       PPG.
JJ Redick as a Freshmen -    95       238     39%       15.0
Rot. Clarke SO FAR        -    45       120     37%       11.0
Lee Humphrey as a FR -       25        57      43%       3.8

Stat Line This

Snaps!

Swine & Cheese Club

Quote from: mbgrulz on February 06, 2009, 11:28:04 am
                                     3PM      3PA     3P%       PPG.
JJ Redick as a Freshmen -    95       238     39%       15.0
Rot. Clarke SO FAR        -    45       120     37%       11.0
Lee Humphrey as a FR -       25        57      43%       3.8

Stat Line This

+1 for the stats and the reply!

Clarke will be a dagger in the heart of many opposing teams in his career here at Arkansas.  The game is a little fast for him now but will slow down game by game this season.  I don't think he expected to be guarded by the best defenders from every team his freshman year and it's taking some time to get adjusted to this.  People that don't think he is SEC material have no vision.