Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ole Miss is getting hammered

Started by jbcarol, February 22, 2017, 04:22:14 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/AntonioCMorales/status/834519575383400455

QuoteOle Miss has announced a self-imposed one-year bowl ban for the 2017 season and that the NCAA's enforcement staff's investigation into the football program has concluded....

Brian Scott Rippee
‏@bsrippee

#OleMiss has been charged with lack of institutional control. It will contest that level 1 charge.

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Ben Garrett‏@SpiritBen 29m29 minutes ago

#OleMiss has released a transcript of today's NOA response for those who don't want to watch a 20-minute video. http://athleticsworking.wp2.olemiss.edu/transcript/

Kevin

these are allegations, they have not been hammered yet
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

jbcarol

Michael Carvell‏@Michael_Carvell 9s9 seconds ago

Things are about to get much worse for Ole Miss football  https://www.seccountry.com/mississippi/things-about-to-get-worse-ole-miss-football-ncaa

QuoteAfter Wednesday's news dump, signing an underwhelming recruiting class feels more like the glory days.

Several of the allegations border on comical. In one case, a signee went hunting on a booster's land during an official visit, which is a Level III violation. Reportedly, boosters funneled at least $13,000 to a recruit and organized illegal travel and lodging. The kid didn't even commit to the school!

While the reported instances are certainly serious, half these allegations just make Ole Miss look pathetic. Cheating is one thing –

If Ole Miss fires Freeze, finding a quality replacement will be extraordinarily difficult.

https://twitter.com/JBarnesRTR/status/834525831372349440

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Kevin on February 22, 2017, 04:46:54 pm
these are allegations, they have not been hammered yet
Actually what I suspect j carol meant was that the Ole Miss STUDENT BODY is hammered; then again, that would come as no surprise to any of us.  ;) ;D :P

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/HKellenbergerCL/status/834543664517017601

QuoteIt's taken years, but we can finally say this: Ole Miss is not beating the rap.

It is not eluding the NCAA investigators. It is not getting away with something, or going to be able to change all of the charges from felonies to misdemeanors, so to speak.

My guess: The fight will be about extending the bowl ban to a second year, or not; how many scholarships Ole Miss will lose over the next four or five years; and whether Freeze is going to have to serve a suspension because he runs the program and therefore bears ultimate responsibility for it.

It's worth noting that there's nothing in the notice of allegations (at least that we're aware of; the university has not released it but did post a 20-minute video with Chancellor Jeff Vitter, Athletic Director Ross Bjork and Freeze explaining the latest news) about former star Laremy Tunsil. It was Tunsil's draft night admission that restarted the investigation and ultimately led the NCAA to go down the rabbit hole with former staffer Barney Farrar (who was named in the infamous text messages and was fired last year).

The offer of immunity to recruits who did not end up at Ole Miss but instead other SEC institutions also clearly paid off; the most damning allegation, that boosters provided a recruit with $13,000 to $15,600 in cash payments, likely came from that.

So ultimately, the draft night fiasco proved to be Ole Miss' undoing, if not in the way we expected that night.

Ole Miss, frankly, has played a lot of this wrongly. The very first public statement from the school after draft night should have been that Farrar was being placed on leave while a complete investigation followed. Allowing him to stay on the job for another six months was only going to damage the school's credibility with the Committee on Infractions. Faced with evidence that Farrar was taking care of a player's financial needs, Ole Miss pretended it was business as usual. To what end? It defies logic.

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 22, 2017, 05:41:24 pm
Actually what I suspect j carol meant was that the Ole Miss STUDENT BODY is hammered; then again, that would come as no surprise to any of us.  ;) ;D :P

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/NealMcCready/status/834788884580032512

QuoteOne side, the side that blindly defends Ole Miss regardless of truth or logic, called the NCAA case only a witch hunt, denied an allegation that prospects received merchandise from Rebel Rags and denied an allegation that an Ole Miss booster gave Leo Lewis at least $13,000 during his recruitment in 2014.

The other side, the one that has been fed by NCAA leaks for the better part of the past four years, came at Ole Miss and Freeze with righteous indignation. That side noted on Wednesday night that defiance and deliberate misinformation were out at Ole Miss. That side stuck to its guns Wednesday, saying Ole Miss' rise to national contender and Sugar Bowl champs was a result of nothing but cheating and Wednesday's notice of allegations served as proof.

Both sides are wrong. To truly understand what has happened at Ole Miss since February 2013 requires nuance and context. Those who blindly defend Ole Miss, as well as those who vigorously attack it, don't have and don't want either nuance or context.

Can they handle the truth?

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/834796449812586497

QuoteNeal McCready reports that he has sources claiming that Ole Miss possesses a recording of Leo Lewis' mother that could implicate Mississippi State, among others, of some wrongdoing as well.

If reports are accurate, Lewis himself would have immunity from NCAA sanction due to immunity.

DeltaBoy

February 23, 2017, 01:03:24 pm #13 Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 05:16:28 pm by DeltaBoy

I pity the fool who went to Ole Miss.  ::hornsdown::
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Andy_Staples/status/834603747510730754

QuoteOle Miss officials announced Wednesday the size of the switch they have selected for the various transgressions NCAA investigators found in their long look into the Rebels' football program. They have self-imposed a bowl ban for the 2017 season, which they likely will argue is really a two-year ban since the 2016 team banned itself from the postseason by losing seven games. This also means Ole Miss has to forfeit $7.8 million in bowl money from the SEC, which could have come in handy to pay the two outside law firms the school has retained to shepherd the athletic department through the NCAA investigation.*

*If you read my columns often, you know I disagree with NCAA rules that cap the amount of money players can take.

jbcarol

la20688

Quote from: DeltaBoy on February 23, 2017, 01:03:24 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJnKm6ftPu0

I pity the fool who went to Ole Miss.  ::hornsdown::
Ole Miss getting popped is the most shocking news since Rocky took out Clubberin their rematch!

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/KevinScarbinsky/status/834907825365213184

QuoteScarblog: It was fun while it lasted, wasn't it, Ole Miss? The two wins over Alabama. The two New Year's Six bowl games. The status as an SEC West contender.

It was heady stuff for a program that hadn't had much success in the last half-century when it wasn't quarterbacked by a Manning. If you never did make it to the SEC Championship Game for the first time, thanks to that freakish lateral by Arkansas, at least you put yourself on the college football map for something more than drunken frivolity in the Grove.

But now that the NCAA has hit you with an amended Notice of Allegations, piling on more and more serious charges such as lack of institutional control and a violation of head coach responsibility legislation, now that you've self-imposed more serious penalties such as a 2017 postseason ban, you have to ask yourself this question:

Was it worth it?

jbcarol

pigture perfect

I wonder if Ole Miss has made the, "Houston, we have a problem", call to Nutt yet. Even he is more liked than Bucky at the moment, and he might b desperate enough to take it to just get a little redemption.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Vantage 8 dude

Anyone else find the following Hugh Freeze tweet from 2013 rich in irony and lunacy: "If you have facts about a violation send it to compliance@olemiss.edu. If not, please do not slander these young men or insult their families". All I can say is ole Hughey didn't have to worry about someone else bringing scorn/bad press to the program; he and his staff have done an excellent job doing that all on their own. 

tusksincolorado

Anybody know what the Vegas over/under line is on:

lost scholarships?

lost bowl opportunities?

lost coaching positions?

Bucky gone or not?

Bork gone or not?

number of Booster bans?

The possibilities are limitless!

Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/835866102634795012

QuoteCowboys got thumped by Ole Miss, 48-20.

But now with the new round of Ole Miss allegations, and a one-year bowl ban as well, Gundy seems a little upset about the game.

"We'll never know what we could have done in the Sugar Bowl if it was a level playing field. That is the truth. I'm not sure we would have won the Sugar Bowl, but we'll never know.

"We didn't all play by the same rules. If everybody is playing by the rules and you get your butt kicked, that's OK. I can live with that. But when it's an uneven playing field, that's not fair."

PonderinHog

Vantage 8 dude

But, but........how can this possibly be ??? We all know that Hughey Freeze is a totally honorable and righteous man and would NEVER EVER try to bend/break the rules or otherwise do something to obtain an unfair recruiting advantage. Heck, his 2013 tweet concerning turning anyone in that may have violated the rules should be sufficient proof of his purity. In the meantime no doubt it was those dirty and mean supporters of that "other Mississippi SEC school" that's have initiated this and kept the pot stirred just to gain an unfair competitive advantage. :puke: :puke:

BTW how many points does this allow OM to apply toward the Phil Fulmer Cup? Has to be worth some major consideration.

Amityvillehogger

Quote from: jbcarol on February 27, 2017, 07:20:29 am
https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/835866102634795012

I find it hilarious that them cheating fools didn't beat us during all this mess. And we are the lone reason why they didn't play for a SEC/NC.
Member # 2987.
Registered - 02-23-2005

sowmonella

Quote from: Amityvillehogger on February 27, 2017, 10:48:19 am
I find it hilarious that them cheating fools didn't beat us during all this mess. And we are the lone reason why they didn't play for a SEC/NC.

#Karma
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 27, 2017, 10:09:42 am
But, but........how can this possibly be ??? We all know that Hughey Freeze is a totally honorable and righteous man and would NEVER EVER try to bend/break the rules or otherwise do something to obtain an unfair recruiting advantage. Heck, his 2013 tweet concerning turning anyone in that may have violated the rules should be sufficient proof of his purity. In the meantime no doubt it was those dirty and mean supporters of that "other Mississippi SEC school" that's have initiated this and kept the pot stirred just to gain an unfair competitive advantage. :puke: :puke:

BTW how many points does this allow OM to apply toward the Phil Fulmer Cup? Has to be worth some major consideration.

How about the quote Ol' Huey threw out...."even Jesus was nailed to the Cross"!

Unbelievable....

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: tusksincolorado on February 27, 2017, 05:11:57 pm
How about the quote Ol' Huey threw out...."even Jesus was nailed to the Cross"!

Unbelievable....
So I suppose we're to imply that Hugh and Jesus are somehow equal or at least being crucified the same way ??? ??? Height of absurdity.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 27, 2017, 09:17:37 am
Man up, Mike.  You're forty!

Same crap happened to us in the Sugar against tOSU...

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on February 27, 2017, 10:09:42 am

Heck, looks like Ole Miss is going to be a slam dunk at winning the Fulmer Cup.  In fact, that "Cup" may be the closest thing Ole Miss gets to a "bowl" for several years.  ;)
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on February 27, 2017, 09:46:37 pm
Heck, looks like Ole Miss is going to be a slam dunk at winning the Fulmer Cup.  In fact, that "Cup" may be the closest thing Ole Miss gets to a "bowl" for several years.  ;)
So you're saying OM is in the driver's seat for the NCAA "athletic (jock) cup" ??? ::) NICE!!!!!!!

Boarcephus

I still find it interesting that Ole Miss is likely to get hammered while Auburn avoided it and you just have to know they were as dirty, if not dirtier, than OM. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/837000878133510145

Is there tape of Leo Lewis' mom asking Ole Miss for money as some have reported? No

QuoteScarblog: One of the more intriguing aspects of the NCAA infractions case against the Ole Miss football program has been the alleged existence of a tape that reportedly could implicate other schools in potential violations.

A tape does exist, a well-connected source with knowledge of the case told AL.com, but the NCAA was aware of it before issuing Ole Miss an updated Notice of Allegations last week, and the tape isn't any type of smoking gun.

Neal McCready, publisher of RebelGrove.com, reported the existence of a tape that includes a conversation with the mother of Mississippi State linebacker Leo Lewis. Lewis was a major Class of 2015 recruit from Brookhaven, Miss., who committed to Alabama and Ole Miss before signing with the Bulldogs.

Lewis reportedly is part of one of the new charges against the Rebels, in that he allegedly received between $13,000 and $15,600 from two Ole Miss boosters with the knowledge of an Ole Miss staff member during his recruitment.

"Ole Miss, per multiple sources, possesses a recording, and has given the SEC a copy, of Lewis' mother asking Ole Miss for money and detailing incentives she received from other programs, including Mississippi State," McCready reported.

The source who spoke to AL.com directly refuted the two key points in that report. The source said Lewis' mother on that tape doesn't ask Ole Miss for money and doesn't mention other schools.

The source also said that the SEC has not heard the tape but is aware of it.

NashvilleHog

Those dumbasses in Oxford are basically on record saying that they are secretly recording recruits.  Every school will use that against them.  What a bunch of morons!
On gameday at Neyland Stadium you can count the number of people with full sets of teeth on one hand.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jbcarol on March 01, 2017, 12:48:49 pm
https://twitter.com/aldotcomSports/status/837000878133510145

Is there tape of Leo Lewis' mom asking Ole Miss for money as some have reported? No
Well perhaps the tape given the NCAA isn't a "smoking gun"; however, to make up for that OM has provided a suitable substitute. It's been reported that one of their '17 recruits, DT Tae-Kion Reed, has just been charged with stealing "a variety" of firearms by the Lowndes County (MS) Sheriff's Department.

In addition, to emulate UT's HC Butch Jones' recent "5 star heart" recruit reference the staff at Ole Miss has installed their version known as "The 3 Star Heart  Recruiting Circle of Excellence". When asked to comment further Head Coach Huey (I know how Jesus felt when HE was crucified) Freeze explained that since Oxford is a tough place to recruit without extra "inducements" 3 star athletes are the best they can hope for without "divine intervention" (i.e. boosters passing around the Sunday collection plate) to "guide" higher ranked kids to OM.

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/837017220676890624

QuoteIt looks like the claim by Ole Miss that it has a recording implicating Mississippi State in recruiting violations related to one of the several new violations brought down on the Rebels isn't entirely true.

Ole Miss claimed to have a recording of the mother of a recruit — allegedly Mississippi State linebacker Leo Lewis — believed to have accepted between $13,000 and $15,600 from Ole Miss donors. In the video, Ole Miss claimed the mother requested money from the Rebels after receiving inducements from other schools...

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/Michael_Carvell/status/837382202535067649

QuoteTravis Haney, there are 2 lines of thinking going on among the Ole Miss brass right now. The first faction believe that the school should stick by Freeze as a sign of loyalty.

"They say, 'Well, he took us to the Promised Land in winning a Sugar Bowl and beating Bama twice.' They want to stick with him," an "industry source" told Haney.

The other faction believes that if Freeze were suspended or fired immediately, the school could avoid a pivotal second year of a postseason ban that would keep players from being able to freely transfer.

Sivad

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Sivad on March 02, 2017, 05:15:51 pm
They can't fire him until they figure out how to get him down from his cross.

More like a constant sermon on the mound.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

tusksincolorado

That guy needs to go with a 10 year show cause stamped to his butt...

Sivad

Right Reverend took a wrong turn in Oxfart

jbcarol

Dropkick

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/SpiritChuck/status/838773094466617344

QuoteFormer Freeze OC Dan Werner, former DC Dave Wommack and former LB Coach Tom Allen shared their thoughts on the Ole Miss head coach in regards to some of the things he is being accused of by the NCAA, namely failure to monitor his program in regards to rules compliance.

When the additional allegations by the NCAA were levied against Ole Miss almost two weeks ago, Rebel Coach Hugh Freeze was "charged" with failure to monitor his program correctly.

That allegation is one the university, via a video statement by Ole Miss Athletics Director Ross Bjork, will fight when they go before the Committee On Infractions sometime in the near future.

Freeze dismissed him in December after Werner's last two offenses were number one in the SEC in 2015 and number four in the SEC in 2016, stating he felt Werner had taken the offense as far as he could and he (Hugh) felt there was "another level" to reach under someone else's guidance.

Certainly, Werner disagreed with the dismissal and Freeze's assumption, but Werner had no qualms in talking about Freeze's record of compliance during his five years with Freeze.

"That whole NCAA situation, I was very far removed from it. I was never named in the investigation or interviewed. We were just told to be quiet about it," Werner began. "I know Hugh is under a lot of scrutiny that he did know or should have known what the NCAA alleges was happening, but I thought about all of that in the last couple of days.

"I have worked for 16 head coaches in my career and I ranked them 1-16 on who talked more about doing things the right way, who is encouraging and demanding the staff all the time to make sure they are abiding by NCAA rules, who is the stickler for compliance and who preached to his staff constantly about the importance of compliance, Hugh Freeze is number one. He would say if you break a rule, it would hurt every family in that room and that was not something he was willing to risk."

Werner said Freeze was not only number one, but number one by a long shot.

"I can't even tell you who number two is," he continued. "Whoever it was, was 100 times less consistent and adamant about compliance than Freeze. No other coach I have worked for has ever come close to talking about doing things the right way as much as Hugh did."

May blur the line between effective monitoring and "talking about compliance".

jbcarol

jbcarol

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/AntonioCMorales/status/844557342444343297

QuoteOXFORD - Nearly a month has passed since Ole Miss received its notice of allegations from the NCAA's enforcement staff and the university announced a one-year postseason ban.

So Rebels players, who met with the media Tuesday for the first time since the ban was announced, still share a sense of disappointment.

Offensive lineman Javon Patterson said the players had no idea a postseason ban, which includes the SEC title game, was coming and that he was devastated when he found out.

There was a meeting between players, according to Patterson, and some guys checked in to see how players within their position groups were handling the news.

Patterson is a junior, so if all Ole Miss receives is a one-year postseason ban then there's a possibility for him to play in a bowl game again. The same can't be said for guys like defensive end Marquis Haynes and running back Jordan Wilkins, who each have different outlooks on the situation.

Haynes turned down a chance to go to the NFL and opted to return for his final season.

"I just took it as this is my last year, there's not much I could do to control it," he said. "But all I can say is it's more work for me to get better film for next year."

Wilkins was ruled academically ineligible during fall camp last year, which kept him off the field for the entirety of the season. The postseason ban will keep him out of a bowl this year, which means the 2016 Sugar Bowl was the last postseason game he'll ever play in.

"The bowl ban does suck, but compared to what I went through before that it was nothing, so I just brushed that off," Wilkins said. "I was really just helping my teammates get over that."

Wilkins said he tries to stay away from social media as much as he can, but felt compelled to voice his thoughts when the ban was announced.

"We're not going to shy away from anything," Wilkins said.

Ole Miss finished 5-7 last year and had to watch bowl season from the sidelines. That didn't become a certainty until sometime in the second half of the Egg Bowl though.

The team has to enter this season and suit up 12 times knowing it can't play in a bowl game.

"It doesn't take anything away from how hard we're going to work or where we're going to push to," Wilkins said. "I think everybody's focus is just to wipe the table and let them take care of everything."