Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gooden's Gonna Play Us Too . . .

Started by TeufelHog, January 15, 2018, 12:09:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SemperHawg

I dunno how it could be considered playing us when he as openly said he would have already signed with us if we had a spot available.  Can't blame the kid for making sure he has options while he waits around on us to un-screw-up the schollie shortage situation the previous staff left us with.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: TeufelHog on January 15, 2018, 12:09:27 pm
. . . just a matter of time.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/familiar-name-reemerges-tennessee-new-staff-offers-elite-juco-dl-emmit-gooden/

Don't think he is or will play us.  He's going to his home state's leading university, Tenn.  CB Eddie Smith will sign with Tn, as well, IMO.

King Kong

Well, the new staff doesn't appear to have shown strong interest.

I assume it's because of the academic risk but who knows

jjdlc

Quote from: King Kong on January 15, 2018, 05:02:09 pm

I'm not sure the staff is not showing strong interest, but there is clearly concern over his academic situation.  I'm getting tired of all the comments around here about Gooden and how he is playing us, etc.  The kid very clearly wants to be a hog, and would already be signed if we would give him the green light.

mhuff

Quote from: jjdlc on January 15, 2018, 05:47:07 pm
I'm not sure the staff is not showing strong interest, but there is clearly concern over his academic situation.  I'm getting tired of all the comments around here about Gooden and how he is playing us, etc.  The kid very clearly wants to be a hog, and would already be signed if we would give him the green light.

Right.    Some are just narrow between the eyes.

azhog10

Quote from: jjdlc on January 15, 2018, 05:47:07 pm
If we aren't gonna use all 25, and we know we may only take 15, then why not offer him and see how it plays out? Seems like a lame excuse not to give him a committable offer.

redeye

Quote from: King Kong on January 15, 2018, 05:02:09 pm

Didn't Chavis meet with him first thing?

Pig in the Pokey

Wait, "Play us?"

Man, you guys take this darn way too seriously. Jeez, man. Play us, smh.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

King Kong

Quote from: redeye on January 16, 2018, 01:06:55 am
Didn't Chavis meet with him first thing?

He talked to Chavis on the phone. He was not visited by the staff at any point prior to the dead period nor contacted prior to Chavis being hired. (Scott did contact him after being originally let go)

RD however did report Gooden expects the staff to visit this week.

ricepig

Quote from: azhog10 on January 15, 2018, 10:13:43 pm
If we aren't gonna use all 25, and we know we may only take 15, then why not offer him and see how it plays out? Seems like a lame excuse not to give him a committable offer.

Who are you going to cut in August when he gets eligible around then?

Deep Shoat

Quote from: ricepig on January 16, 2018, 08:13:55 am
these threads make it clear math is poorly taught in Arkansas schools...
All Gas, No Brakes!

Pig in the Pokey

there will be plenty of candidates for the thinning.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 16, 2018, 09:31:07 am
there will be plenty of candidates for the thinning.

Not in August, and you can't "cut" anyone, so it's got to be a mutual decision.

azhog10

For a guy like Gooden you make it happen. It sucks, but that shouldn't be something that holds you back.

Pig in the Pokey

It's more "fit" than grades. That and a lack of available schollies. This guy was hella important in our 3-4 scheme; still important in a 4-3 but less so.

netteltonhog

I don't think this staff will get "Played" by anyone...  The writing has been on the wall about Gooden for a while...

East TN HAWG

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 16, 2018, 11:26:36 am
It's more "fit" than grades. That and a lack of available schollies. This guy was hella important in our 3-4 scheme; still important in a 4-3 but less so.
PIP, I think he becomes more valuable in a 4-3 because there are more slots to fill with big ole boys.  We did not have enough, and that was one of the reasons we switched to  3-4 because it required fewer big bodies in the middle which are hard to find. 

nwahogfan1

Quote from: TeufelHog on January 15, 2018, 12:09:27 pm
. . . just a matter of time.

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/tennessee-football/familiar-name-reemerges-tennessee-new-staff-offers-elite-juco-dl-emmit-gooden/
I do not think anyone is playing the other but just trying to figure out if he will graduate and when  plus how serious is he in being the best player he can be during the spring.  maybe I am wrong.

FraggleHog

Calling the Hogs from DFW

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: East TN HAWG on January 16, 2018, 01:37:39 pm
PIP, I think he becomes more valuable in a 4-3 because there are more slots to fill with big ole boys.  We did not have enough, and that was one of the reasons we switched to  3-4 because it required fewer big bodies in the middle which are hard to find.
i think we are ok on numbers, we needed that gigantic cog in the middle to replace bijon in the 3-4. We have a half dozen ~300 lbers to plug in the 4-3. Now, I agree that we still need a playmaker down there, and hopefully EmmittG is that dude.

The Hawg Marshal

Travis Hamilton
‏ @trainmuzik
2h2 hours ago

Just finished interview with 4 ⭐️ @What_A_Star5 he reveals his top five and has #tennessee around the top. #EmmitToTheHill   Let's go #voltwitter this young man wants to stay home #gbo

https://www.facebook.com/TD10SE/videos/2037779289826994/ ...

imtad16

Quote from: The Hawg Marshal on January 16, 2018, 08:33:13 pm

Travis Hamilton
‏ @trainmuzik
2h2 hours ago

Just finished interview with 4 ⭐️ @What_A_Star5 he reveals his top five and has #tennessee around the top. #EmmitToTheHill   Let’s go #voltwitter this young man wants to stay home #gbo https://www.facebook.com/TD10SE/videos/2037779289826994/

That is a tough watch. A good idea to interview players like that but that guy was a little silly. I did skim through to see what Gooden said about Arkansas and he names a top 5 and Arkansas wasn't in it. His top 5 was UGA, Bama, Florida, Tenn, and FSU. He said he hasn't talked to CM, but he has talked to John Scott and John Chavis. It doesn't sound like we are pursuing him very hard though.

ricepig

Quote from: imtad16 on January 16, 2018, 09:09:58 pm

That is a tough watch. A good idea to interview players like that but that guy was a little silly. I did skim through to see what Gooden said about Arkansas and he names a top 5 and Arkansas wasn't in it. His top 5 was UGA, Bama, Florida, Tenn, and FSU. He said he hasn't talked to CM, but he has talked to John Scott and John Chavis. It doesn't sound like we are pursuing him very hard though.

Very hard?? Like not at all is more correct. They appear to want DE's with speed over NG/DT types, time for everyone to move on.

imtad16

Quote from: ricepig on January 17, 2018, 09:36:07 am
Very hard?? Like not at all is more correct. They appear to want DE's with speed over NG/DT types, time for everyone to move on.

Yes and Yes. I appears that way.

Snout team

Quote from: ricepig on January 17, 2018, 09:36:07 am

Agreed.  This recruiting stuff is a roller coaster ride for even us fans.  When he decommitted/didn't decommit/decommitted I had moved on.  Then he started looking like a done deal based on his twitter.  But it is obvious the new staff sees greater needs.  Trey said on Drivetime that he did not think Gooden would be at Arkansas.  It appears he wants to be. 

Gotta trust the coaches some times.  This is a tough recruiting year for sure.  Time will tell if their decisions in recruiting are wise ones.  BB proved he missed on a few (especially in his last couple years) when he passed on guys who wanted to be hogs but went elsewhere to prove their ability.
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

Pig in the Pokey

Im still LMAO @ this thread. "...gonna play us". Kind of got to have an offer to play somebody, dontcha?

ricepig

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on January 18, 2018, 08:38:22 am
Im still LMAO @ this thread. "...gonna play us". Kind of got to have an offer to play somebody, dontcha?

Correct, Bielema actually pulled his offer earlier, that will eventually come out, and did re-instate it. The new staff has never offered him.