Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Kenny Sailors

Started by WyoHog, April 12, 2015, 01:53:56 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WyoHog

I had lunch with Ken Sailors a few days ago. Most people don't know Ken but there's a connection we had, albeit a remote one. Just before this year's NCAA tournament started with both Arkansas and Wyoming in the big dance, I discovered some history that Arkansas beat Wyoming in the 1941 NCAA tourney. I also discovered that Ken played for Wyoming in that game (and subbed in for Curt Gowdy). But he also led Wyoming to the 1943 NCAA basketball national championship. You see, my daughter helps take care of Ken in assisted living in Laramie, Wyoming. He's now 94 years old and invited me over for lunch when he found out I was a U of A grad. He told me all about that Arkansas vs Wyoming game in 1941. Even though Arkansas won the game, that was the game that gave Wyoming basketball significance in the 1940's. Even more significant is the fact that Ken Sailors created the jump shot, the most fundamental, widely used shot in modern basketball today. In 2012, he was inducted into the National Collegiate Basketball Hall of Fame for his development of the jump shot. It was my lucky day to meet Kenny Sailors for the first time.
http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/collegebasketball/398173251987/0/kenny-sailors-and-the-jump-shot
Did you know?

Arkansas High School had the "original" Razorback mascot before the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville. The University of Arkansas student body voted to change the name of the school mascot (originally the Cardinals) in 1910 to the Arkansas Razorbacks. Since the Razorback name was already in use by the Texarkana Arkansas High School Razorbacks, the University agreed to 'use' the Razorback logo as their mascot; In turn, giving Arkansas High School used athletic equipment from the university - a practice that no longer exists.

chiefhawg

Thank you,
Very informative and enjoyable.

nwahogfan1

Good information.  Thanks.  My wife is the Marketing Director of an Asst. Living Facility here in Fort Smith.

Speaking of Laramie, my wife and I visited Laramie and U of W last August.  We left Arkansas by car on August 9th on a typical 95+ with high humidity day to be in Laramie with a more pleasant 75 degrees  a couple days later.  Very pleasant weather.  Now your winters would be a little bit cold for us but we love your summers. 

Anyway we got to visit the campus, football field where we got to watch a little bit of them practicing football and then the basketball arena. We were just being tourist.  I would guess the student size to be around 15,000 kids.  Anyway it was fun day looking around.

daBoar

My mother attended the University of Wyoming in 1943, her older sister dated Gowdy (quite seriously).  Small world.

hillhog

Had me going for a minute there until I read a little further down. My first impression with the name was of the Kenny Saylors from Pyatt and Arkansas Tech. A much younger man. But this was an interesting read about an obvious great ball player.