Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Guy's what do you think?

Started by The_Bionic_Pig, April 09, 2015, 01:00:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Wildhog

He's from Nevada.  We'll see how it shakes out.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

ricepig

@jeffborzello: Memphis transfer Nick King tells ESPN he plans to visit Ole Miss and Arkansas.

Interest from Xavier, Murray St, WKU, Florida, SLU, DePaul.

The_Bionic_Pig

Sounds like some major turnover mentioned by some may be true.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Hawg Red

NWG would be a HUGE pick-up. King would be big as well. Nigel William-Goss is the kind of player that wins you a championship.

jry04

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on April 09, 2015, 01:09:33 pm
Maybe, but I do not think we will lose anyone else other than Portis and Qualls (if we lose them.) I would think anyone else transferring already knows they are transferring. Also, I would think they wouldn't be touring the facility and working out with the team if they are transferring, but nobody was missing from those pictures.

hawginbigd1

i will take Goss for a year, give us experience in 2017, just don't think he would wait that long before going pro.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Wildhog on April 09, 2015, 01:02:35 pm
He's from Nevada.  We'll see how it shakes out.

He's actually from Oregon, but went to Findlay Prep in Nevada.

Wildhog

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 09, 2015, 01:18:12 pm
He's actually from Oregon, but went to Findlay Prep in Nevada.

Oh, good deal.  Thanks for the info.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

Pancetta

If BP and MQ come back do we still havea spot oen with Babd leaving? What style did he play at UW?
Jump Ball / Re: Time to hit the panic button?
January 06, 2022, 05:32:59 pm
Nah. Every single transfer can score. The shots will come once the pecking order gets sorted out.
Pancetta

HawgnCorona

Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

WooPig90

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on April 09, 2015, 01:09:33 pm

These transfers wouldnt count until the next season right? So idk if it tells anything about players departed in the next few weeks

Hawg Red

Quote from: WooPig90 on April 09, 2015, 01:37:45 pm
These transfers wouldnt count until the next season right? So idk if it tells anything about players departed in the next few weeks

They would count towards the scholarship total immediately.

WooPig90

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 09, 2015, 01:39:37 pm
They would count towards the scholarship total immediately.

Dang, that sucks. Would love to have him and King but dont think we could tie up 2 schollys sitting out!

Hawg Red

Quote from: WooPig90 on April 09, 2015, 01:41:31 pm
Dang, that sucks. Would love to have him and King but dont think we could tie up 2 schollys sitting out!

We're about to have two open spots. But I doubt we'd get both. Most likely would probably be King. I think Williams-Goss will stay out West.

JackJohnson

-Blu

Getting a guy like NWG would be beyond huge.

Possibly having a guard rotation of NWG, Whitt, Monk, and Beard in 2016, now your talking about making a big run in the tournament and competing for a National Championship.

WooPig90

If you had to choose one, Goss or King?

-Blu

Quote from: WooPig90 on April 09, 2015, 02:02:46 pm

That's really easy.... NWG of course.  Goss is the type of guy like a shabazz napier that will win you games in the tournament and be the leader of your team.  King is more like a Coty Clarke type of guy, be a pretty good role player in the right system.

Hawg Red

The_Iceman

Quote from: WooPig90 on April 09, 2015, 02:02:46 pm

Goss.

I think Arkansas is a pretty trendy program right now. We have stability in our coaching staff and a brand new facility opening. I think we would be an enticing option for him.

HawgnCorona

Quote from: The_Iceman on April 09, 2015, 02:16:34 pm
Goss.

I think Arkansas is a pretty trendy program right now. We have stability in our coaching staff and a brand new facility opening. I think we would be an enticing option for him.

Lets hope so...Iceman. Lets hope so
Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all your getting, get understanding." --   Proverbs 4:7

"Live justly, love mercy and to walk humbly with the Most High."-- Micah 6:8

Atlhogfan1

37mpg won't happen at Arkansas. 
421 shot attempts probably wouldn't.  Qualls and Portis played some of the highest minutes ever for an Anderson player to get to that range.  BJ, Carroll, English were some other players that approached that number.  Whitt, Beard, maybe Monk on the roster when he would become eligible.
335 2pt attempts with a mid range shot that went a long way to getting him to 15 ppg. Nice assist to to ratio and assist totals.  421 shots and a high assist amount means he had the ball a lot.  How would that work with Whitt and Beard?  Would he be ok with less as a Jr after sitting out a season and having contemplated a move to the NBA already? Did some checking and his lateral quickness and ability to defend on the ball came into question. 

Don't turn down a player like this unless they could cause chemistry issues.  Unlike our other transfers or transfer prospects, this is more than a role player. 

http://www.uwdawgpound.com/2015/4/9/8377145/nigel-williams-goss-transfer-washington

"Jason Scheer revealed that the reason for the All-Academic's departure was a clashing with teammates. Players just don't like playing with Williams-Goss, with a trail going back to his AAU days. We may finally now have the reasoning for Aaron Gordon's commitment to the University of Arizona instead of Washington: Williams-Goss. Marshall Cherrington revealed that this morning."
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hawg Red

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 09, 2015, 02:23:36 pm
421 shot attempts probably wouldn't.  Qualls and Portis played some of the highest minutes ever for an Anderson player to get to that range.  BJ, Carroll, English were some other players that approached that number.  Whitt, Beard, maybe Monk on the roster when he would become eligible.
335 2pt attempts with a mid range shot that went a long way to getting him to 15 ppg. Nice assist to to ratio and assist totals.  421 shots and a high assist amount means he had the ball a lot.  How would that work with Whitt and Beard?  Would he be ok with less as a Jr after sitting out a season and having contemplated a move to the NBA already? Did some checking and his lateral quickness and ability to defend on the ball came into question. 

Don't turn down a player like this unless they could cause chemistry issues.  Unlike our other transfers or transfer prospects, this is more than a role player. 

http://www.uwdawgpound.com/2015/4/9/8377145/nigel-williams-goss-transfer-washington

"Jason Scheer revealed that the reason for the All-Academic's departure was a clashing with teammates. Players just don't like playing with Williams-Goss, with a trail going back to his AAU days. We may finally now have the reasoning for Aaron Gordon's commitment to the University of Arizona instead of Washington: Williams-Goss. Marshall Cherrington revealed that this morning."

Good post.

I love Goss has a player. Love him. But, athletically, he is not a great fit for Anderson. Also, him coming to Arkansas seems unlikely to me because he's a West Coast kid and originally committed to UNLV. He was mostly considering schools out West in HS. With that said, I'd take him yesterday. But I don't think we'll get a good look.

As for all of the chemistry issues, I have never heard anything about that. If true, obviously my tune would change on him.

poloprince

Now if MA takes a transfer id take this guy in a heartbeat.
$PoLoPrInCe$

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 09, 2015, 02:23:36 pm

I agree. CMA doesn't seem to play anyone close to 30 minutes a game..........

This is the tired argument used for forever in regards to CMA and how elite players don't want to play for him. But let's look at actual numbers. In Conference games and the close OOC games Portis averaged 30.9 mpg. That's including the four Conference wins that were blowouts and the game Portis fouled out. Qualls averaged 30.6 in those games as well. That's again counting the blowout wins in conference, two games he was in foul trouble, the benching against Kentucky. So to act like CMA doesn't like to play his studs especially in big games is very interesting. This guy played 37 minutes on a team that wasn't very good and didn't play the style we play. But don't act like this kid would never see 30 plus minutes in a game if he is deserving to do so.

Atlhogfan1

April 09, 2015, 03:07:25 pm #26 Last Edit: April 09, 2015, 03:19:08 pm by Atlhogfan1
Quote from: azhog10 on April 09, 2015, 03:02:33 pm
I agree. CMA doesn't seem to play anyone close to 30 minutes a game..........

This is the tired argument used for forever in regards to CMA and how elite players don't want to play for him. But let's look at actual numbers. In Conference games and the close OOC games Portis averaged 30.9 mpg. That's including the four Conference wins that were blowouts and the game Portis fouled out. Qualls averaged 30.6 in those games as well. That's again counting the blowout wins in conference, two games he was in foul trouble, the benching against Kentucky. So to act like CMA doesn't like to play his studs especially in big games is very interesting. This guy played 37 minutes on a team that wasn't very good and didn't play the style we play. But don't act like this kid would never see 30 plus minutes in a game if he is deserving to do so.

Don't assume anything in one of my posts and make another weird uncalled for tired defense of Mike Anderson.  Nowhere did I say he would or wouldn't approach 30mpg.  He may would although it is a rarity with an Anderson player.  I'm fully aware of the minutes Qualls and Portis played.  I've only made reference in different conversations many times this season.  I didn't act like anything when it comes to how Anderson plays players.

In this conversation about this guard, he would be coming into a different situation from the one he has been in at Washington.  His minutes would be less on a better team.  Is this the situation he wants?  Maybe it is.  Maybe he wants to win more and contribute and play less.  But don't act like I made some criticism of Mike Anderson.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

PorkRinds

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 09, 2015, 03:07:25 pm
Don't assume darn in one of my posts and make another weird uncalled for [CENSORED] tired defense of Mike Anderson.  Nowhere in hell did I say he would or wouldn't approach 30mpg.  He may would although it is a rarity with an Anderson player.  I'm fully [CENSORED] aware of the minutes Qualls and Portis played.  I've only made reference in different conversations many times this season.  I didn't act like darn when it comes to how Anderson plays players.

In this conversation about this guard, he would be coming into a different situation from the one he has been in at Washington.  His minutes would be less on a better team.  Is this the situation he wants?  Maybe it is.  Maybe he wants to win more and contribute and play less.  But don't act like I made some criticism of Mike Anderson because you played high school basketball for Zimmerman and you feel the need to defend them for some weird reason.

Dude.  Valium.  Take it.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 09, 2015, 03:12:54 pm
Dude.  Valium.  Take it.

Dude.  The childish homer unnecessary defenses of Mike Anderson are tiresome.  No need for it in this conversation. 

I softened it for you.   :)

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 09, 2015, 03:07:25 pm
Don't assume anything in one of my posts and make another weird uncalled for tired defense of Mike Anderson.  Nowhere did I say he would or wouldn't approach 30mpg.  He may would although it is a rarity with an Anderson player.  I'm fully aware of the minutes Qualls and Portis played.  I've only made reference in different conversations many times this season.  I didn't act like anything when it comes to how Anderson plays players.

In this conversation about this guard, he would be coming into a different situation from the one he has been in at Washington.  His minutes would be less on a better team.  Is this the situation he wants?  Maybe it is.  Maybe he wants to win more and contribute and play less.  But don't act like I made some criticism of Mike Anderson.
Not sure how Zimmerman comes into this but okay. You stated he plays X number of minutes and he won't see that here. I'm saying CMA has broken that tired argument that players won't see 30 minutes a game if they play for him. Portis and Qualls played 30 or more minutes 17 and 13 times respectively. Qualls would have done it more if he didn't lose playing time due to other things. Beard and Madden also had a number of games where they played over 30 minutes. So yes if he came here he would see maybe not 37 exactly, but could easily see 30 plus minutes in many many games. IT's also not like Portis took 466 shots this season and Qualls 413. The situations on both rosters are totally different, but CMA still seemed to find close to 30 mpg for his two stars and plenty of shot attempts to make them two of the SEC's leading scorers.

PS, there's plenty of other threads that take shots at CMA and Coach Z that I haven't even responded to. It's the ones that people (including yourself) make that there is actual proof that you are wrong. Sorry I brought actual numbers into this conversation that got you to throw your fit.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Hawg Red on April 09, 2015, 01:11:35 pm
NWG would be a HUGE pick-up. King would be big as well. Nigel William-Goss is the kind of player that wins you a championship.

Sometimes timing is more important than anything else.  If only we had a NWG this last year. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on April 09, 2015, 03:28:51 pm
Not sure how Zimmerman comes into this but okay. You stated he plays X number of minutes and he won't see that here. I'm saying CMA has broken that tired argument that players won't see 30 minutes a game if they play for him. Portis and Qualls played 30 or more minutes 17 and 13 times respectively. Qualls would have done it more if he didn't lose playing time due to other things. Beard and Madden also had a number of games where they played over 30 minutes. So yes if he came here he would see maybe not 37 exactly, but could easily see 30 plus minutes in many many games. IT's also not like Portis took 466 shots this season and Qualls 413. The situations on both rosters are totally different, but CMA still seemed to find close to 30 mpg for his two stars and plenty of shot attempts to make them two of the SEC's leading scorers.

PS, there's plenty of other threads that take shots at CMA and Coach Z that I haven't even responded to. It's the ones that people (including yourself) make that there is actual proof that you are wrong. Sorry I brought actual numbers into this conversation that got you to throw your fit.

First of all, unless he would transfer to Arkansas and play 37 MPG or at least close to it, I'm not wrong.  Do you think he would?  Of course not.  My food for thought I was putting out in the earlier post I thought was obvious.  This would be a player who is used to having the ball a lot and being on the court a lot and taking a high number of shot attempts coming to a deeper roster where his time on the court would be less, his amount of time with the ball may would be less and his shot attempts could very well be less.  Nowhere in any of that is there an indictment of Mike Anderson. 

Spare me the details of Portis and Qualls minutes.  I've already discussed them many times here this season in varying context.  I'm aware just as I am with past Anderson players throughout his career.  No criticism or indictment of him or his coaching.  It is how he does it. 

I dealt with a similar stupid situation like this in the Politics forum last week.  Benny decided he wanted to make an argument so he created one to make his.  You are doing the same here.  "I'm saying CMA has broken that tired argument that players won't see 30 minutes a game if they play for him."  No darn.  These aren't the first two players to break 30 for him. 

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 09, 2015, 03:36:37 pm
First of all, unless he would transfer to Arkansas and play 37 MPG or at least close to it, I'm not wrong.  Do you think he would?  Of course not.  My food for thought I was putting out in the earlier post I thought was obvious.  This would be a player who is used to having the ball a lot and being on the court a lot and taking a high number of shot attempts coming to a deeper roster where his time on the court would be less, his amount of time with the ball may would be less and his shot attempts could very well be less.  Nowhere in any of that is there an indictment of Mike Anderson. 

Spare me the details of Portis and Qualls minutes.  I've already discussed them many times here this season in varying context.  I'm aware just as I am with past Anderson players throughout his career.  No criticism or indictment of him or his coaching.  It is how he does it. 

I dealt with a similar stupid situation like this in the Politics forum last week.  Benny decided he wanted to make an argument so he created one to make his.  You are doing the same here.  "I'm saying CMA has broken that tired argument that players won't see 30 minutes a game if they play for him."  No darn.  These aren't the first two players to break 30 for him.
I'm sure any player would trade 5 mpg for possibly 6-7 extra games. Kid would still get 30 plus minutes here and would be in a program and on a team with a chance to play a lot more games than what he will see at UW.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: azhog10 on April 09, 2015, 03:46:10 pm
I'm sure any player would trade 5 mpg for possibly 6-7 extra games. Kid would still get 30 plus minutes here and would be in a program and on a team with a chance to play a lot more games than what he will see at UW.

This could have been your earlier reply and the conversation would have went better.  He could get 30.  Beard would be a Jr, Whitt a So.  What if he couldn't defend as well as we wanted?  Or his 3pt shooting remains where it is?  Would he get 30 minutes away from Beard and Whitt?  Maybe Monk goes to UK and we would play 3 guards.  Who knows?  My earlier post was just things to consider instead of someone posting he might be interested and everyone screaming "take him" "I'm so excited".  This isn't even touching on the rumors the UW blog is throwing out. 

husker71

what is going on with the Washington program???

Hawg Red

Quote from: husker71 on April 09, 2015, 04:37:19 pm
what is going on with the Washington program???

Romar is an underachiever.

azhog10

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 09, 2015, 03:51:08 pm
This could have been your earlier reply and the conversation would have went better.  He could get 30.  Beard would be a Jr, Whitt a So.  What if he couldn't defend as well as we wanted?  Or his 3pt shooting remains where it is?  Would he get 30 minutes away from Beard and Whitt?  Maybe Monk goes to UK and we would play 3 guards.  Who knows?  My earlier post was just things to consider instead of someone posting he might be interested and everyone screaming "take him" "I'm so excited".  This isn't even touching on the rumors the UW blog is throwing out.
If he can't play he can't play. Like I said he will get the minutes that he earns. Just like any program. If he's worried about competition this isn't the place for him. CMA will put his best players on the floor. If it's 3 guards or 4.

As we all know rumor boards are called rumor boards for a reason. We have seen many times how a kid goes from great to garbage when he decides to leave.

secfan30

He would be a big pick up for us

-Blu

Quote from: azhog10 on April 09, 2015, 05:07:36 pm
If he can't play he can't play. Like I said he will get the minutes that he earns. Just like any program. If he's worried about competition this isn't the place for him. CMA will put his best players on the floor. If it's 3 guards or 4.

As we all know rumor boards are called rumor boards for a reason. We have seen many times how a kid goes from great to garbage when he decides to leave.

My thoughts exactly, if he's worried about competition from 2 underclassmen that was rated lower than him, he's coming to the wrong school.  He was rated higher than both Whitt and Beard, in his mind he should be a better player than them and able to beat them out and get his minutes.

Hogz87

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 09, 2015, 02:23:36 pmhttp://www.uwdawgpound.com/2015/4/9/8377145/nigel-williams-goss-transfer-washington

So this isn't a red flag to anyone else?  Seems like this got skipped over by a lot of people.

-Blu

Quote from: Hogz87 on April 09, 2015, 06:31:48 pm
So this isn't a red flag to anyone else?  Seems like this got skipped over by a lot of people.

You have to take those articles with a grain of salt, especially if they come from the locals that just lost their best player.  We even do that in Arkansas.  When Hunter Mickelson left for Kansas, all of a sudden him and his Dad were horrible guys, people still make threads and talk about him.  When BJ Young declared for the draft, it was all of a sudden addition by subtraction and he was holding us back.  Same thing with Powell.  I think a lot of people are guilty of doing that sometimes, when you lose something you want to downplay the importantance and try to highlight/exaggerate the bad to make yourself feel better.  Had he decided to stay at Washington this article would never had seen the light of day.

Atlhogfan1

It isnt about beating out. It may would be how much sharing and splitting that he hasnt faced in the past and how he views it.

Hogz87

Quote from: -Blu on April 09, 2015, 06:39:38 pm
You have to take those articles with a grain of salt, especially if they come from the locals that just lost their best player.  We even do that in Arkansas.  When Hunter Mickelson left for Kansas, all of a sudden him and his Dad were horrible guys, people still make threads and talk about him.  When BJ Young declared for the draft, it was all of a sudden addition by subtraction and he was holding us back.  Same thing with Powell.  I think a lot of people are guilty of doing that sometimes, when you lose something you want to downplay the importantance and try to highlight/exaggerate the bad to make yourself feel better.  Had he decided to stay at Washington this article would never had seen the light of day.
I agree, you can't take stuff like that at its word.  I do think it could be a little bit of a cause for concern, but I trust that our coaching staff will do their due diligence on the matter.  If we Goss decides he wants to come here, and our coaches accept/agree, then I won't have any issues or concerns because I trust their judgement.

I just thought it was a little odd that after Atlhogfan posted about the alleged word/rumors that other players, going back to his AAU days, don't like playing with Goss, there were 15ish posts and it was pretty much ignored and/or glossed over.

Atlhogfan1

I just want to add before any more childish crap comes, I'm not saying I agree with the rumors, giving any credence to them or posting them for any other reason than just an FYI.  Someone who "covers" the transfer from program is putting out a possible reason for the transfer for public consumption.  When looking to hire someone or accepting someone, I like to know why they are looking, available or at least open to moving. 

-Blu

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on April 09, 2015, 06:46:39 pm
It isnt about beating out. It may would be how much sharing and splitting that he hasnt faced in the past and how he views it.

It's pretty simple, you play at an all SEC level you'll play close to 30 MPG (See Qualls and Portis).  You play pretty good, but at just about the same level as the guy behind you or your not consistent you'll be splitting minutes at your position (See Harris and Williams).  You don't play well you'll be sitting on the bench (See Keaton Miles).

Personally If I'm a former 5-star and all PAC-12 player transferring I'm just looking for the best team and the best fit for me, I got confidence I'll beat out whoever and play the minutes I need to, unless I'm looking at Kentucky or another school that's bringing in multiple McDonald All-Americans.  If I'm looking at Arkansas I'm pretty confident I'll be the starting PG and play the minutes I want.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: -Blu on April 09, 2015, 08:35:58 pm
It's pretty simple, you play at an all SEC level you'll play close to 30 MPG (See Qualls and Portis).  You play pretty good, but at just about the same level as the guy behind you or your not consistent you'll be splitting minutes at your position (See Harris and Williams).  You don't play well you'll be sitting on the bench (See Keaton Miles).

Personally If I'm a former 5-star and all PAC-12 player transferring I'm just looking for the best team and the best fit for me, I got confidence I'll beat out whoever and play the minutes I need to, unless I'm looking at Kentucky or another school that's bringing in multiple McDonald All-Americans.  If I'm looking at Arkansas I'm pretty confident I'll be the starting PG and play the minutes I want.

That may would be how he would view it. 

Portis appeared to break down at the end of the season.  He looked physically worn down.  He and Qualls played the minutes they did out of necessity.  Not exactly how we want to play given the effort needed to play defense in what we try to do. 

And G's Denmon and Hannah each avg 30mpg for Mike for one season.  I'm not making a 30mpg argument.  az decided to bring this into the conversation.

Beaverfever

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on April 09, 2015, 01:15:37 pm
i will take Goss for a year, give us experience in 2017, just don't think he would wait that long before going pro.
Since he's looking to transfer instead of just turning pro now it sounds like he's decided he's happy being a 4-5 year guy.  We get this guy and that elite guard rotation we've been wanting really starts becoming a reality.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Hogz87 on April 09, 2015, 06:31:48 pm

No, it's totally a homer post. They are blaming this kid for Aaron Gordon going to Zona. Gordon went to Zona because it a much better BBall school than Washington

Smithian

Hogs desperately looking for a transfer or two it seems.

This would be a very good pickup.

Atlhogfan1

http://www.thenewstribune.com/2015/04/09/3733196/john-mcgrath-nigel-williams-goss.html

Local writer gives his thoughts on the transfer. 

Quote from: Smithian on April 09, 2015, 10:51:00 pm
Hogs desperately looking for a transfer or two it seems.

This would be a very good pickup.
Balances out Babb leaving to add a player who would be a Jr in '16-17.